Reviews by

Le Male Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier

Amazingly synthetic or synthetically amazing - as you like it

Even though I would never wear it, I would not mind having a colleague at work who smells like this. First I want to say I find it so artificial that the CDG fragrances now all seem very natural and friendly. Yes I can smell synthetic elements in Serge Lutens' Fleur d' Oranger and yes I know most of the things I have in my wardrobe have a lot to do with the disguised chemicals, but the perfumer of the 'LMT' really pushed the envelope it this respect.

At first it is very similar to the original: the initial explosion has so many ingredients it is hard to tell which of them truly dominate, but to me this super rich combination mostly smells like orange blossom, orange peels, nutmeg and lavender. Of course vanilla is also very noticeable, but it is not the main culprit for the incredible sweetness of this scent. I find it sad that the mint note is so shy. I adore minty notes. The mint could have been the light at the end of the tunnel and a very nice counterbalance.

To be completely fair and honest, I am glad I gave it a try, LMT is a lot of fun, it's very sexy + it is not much worse than the popular fragrance offerings of today, so I guess... ...yeah... that's it....

Pros: Dry down is way better than the original's
    Cons: Nothing and everything at the same time"

25 October, 2013

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Incomparable

Less girly than 'Eau Premiere' and way less feminine than 'Teint de Neige'. I sold my bottle of 'Eau Premiere' because I caught myself smelling like a chicken. I don't know why, but 'Eau Premiere' reminds me of chickens for some reason. On the other hand 'Teint de Neige' is so simplified that all I really get is loads and loads of powder. I was also in love with Etro's Heliotrope, but got bored of it fairly quickly.

Hence, Jaipur was the answer to my prayers. It meanders between powdery notes, floral notes and spices. I loathe the smell of spices and gourmands all together, so it came to me as a surprise how much I immediately liked it. Cinnamon is very prominent throughout the composition, but it does not bother me at all. As long as it is not vanilla. I like pure vanilla, but paradoxically can't stand it as a base note. Using vanilla as a base is a cheap trick to make the composition last longer. I much prefer the sandalwood or heliotrope as a support column.

I used two bottles of EdP ten years ago, then definitely switched to EdT, then we spent some time apart from each other, but now Jaipur EdT and I are finally reunited. It is without a doubt my favourite masculine fragrance and it looks like it is going to topple my beloved Fracas (W, EdP) from the throne.

I went to work this morning wearing four sprays and I can still smell it all around me, twelve hours later. It's amazingly soft and delicate, yet so persistent and tenacious.

At last I am happy.

Pros: I love everything about it
    Cons: Kind of smells like semi raw potatoes"

23 October, 2013

Héritage by Guerlain

Great in theory

The moment I spray it I get V&R 'Antidote'. It's very simple, dark and rich, but after a while all I can smell is patchouli and lavender. Boring. This is my 10th Guerlain, I gave this brand quite a chance and now it is time to move on. Samsara is amazing, I will never be without it, but I am breaking up with the rest of Guerlains (including the legendary 'Vol de Nuit' that lasts for like five seconds on skin).

Pros: Well blended
    Cons: Boring and on the verge of being trivial and cheap"

17 October, 2013

Encounter by Calvin Klein

It is not very original and the quality of the ingredients is questionable, to say the least. I don't understand what they are trying to get across with this release.

26 September, 2012

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

I always have so much fun with this one. It drastically improves my mood every time. I find it extremely comfortable, delicious, natural and really easy to wear. The lasting power is superb. Some people tend to compare Ligea with Shalimar and Mitsouko. I really can't say the resemblance is that obvious. Yes, they all have vanilla and powdery notes, but in my opinion 'La Sirena' actually shares a large number of similarities with Antaeus and Eau Lente. This is my first fragrance centered around opoponax and lavender and I am surprised how much I love those two notes. I am very happy with the quality of Ligea (it must be one of the best fragrances I ever had). Contrasting notes make it very dynamic, so it never gets boring. Love love love this fragrance.

12 August, 2012

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

One of the best fragrances ever, but unwearable for me. I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else, but only for a couple of seconds from time to time. Otherwise if I try to wear it myself, I am left with a heavy smell of diluted cherry syrup, super sweet cherry brandy and tons of dusty amber for hours. All of 'Empires' last for ages (more than 10 hours I swear). Parfum d'Empire is an amazing brand and all of their scents are truly mind-boggling at first, but then they rapidly get less interesting for some reason. I have scored quite a few samples, such as Aziyade, Osmanthus Interdite, 3 Fleurs, Fougere Bengale, etc. And I always go through the same process: I would fall in love with the fragrance, wear it two or three times, but then never buy a full bottle. Maybe their scents are too perfect. Maybe I am not ready for they breathtaking beauty. If you happen to like the likes of Ambre 114 or Ambre Precieux, do sample this one, it really is a masterpiece.

11th August, 2012

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

Quite a large turnout at the party. Everybody showed up: Poison, Douglas Hannant, Diorissimo, Choc, L'Air du Temps, Gucci pour Homme, CDG 2 Man...

This is an amazing clash of notes. So romantic. Whenever I sample five or six different scents simultaneously, smells eventually mix and then I always think to myself 'God, why can't there be such a concoction...'. Well, this is exactly it - ten fragrances merged into one.

My skin has a very distinctive smell and it works so well with Fiori di Capri. I shall most certainly buy a full bottle. It is not very aggressive, but it does linger for many hours and amplifies my natural smell.

One of the best fragrances ever. I love quirky scents and I can't be totally objective when it comes to this brand. I just love it so much.

31st July, 2012

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I am very lucky to own this scent. It is an honour to wear it. I've used Fracas for years and it still manages to surprise me every time. Sometimes I even smell hints of coffee and coconut. The moment I spray it I feel an incredible sense of tranquility and sereneness. I close my eyes and think of white linen shirts, white flowers, white houses in Santorini, light, unlimited vacation, unlimited budget, going back in time, getting younger...

29 July, 2012

Io Capri by Carthusia

My no 1 scent of all time and I am ever so glad it's not that popular. It's simple and quirky, but very well-blended and incredibly long lasting. Tart and milky at the same time: sounds bad, but it's amazing actually. It does taste like figs. I prefer 'profumo' concentration, although EdT is also quite sumptuous and lasts for ages. Works very well with my skin. My skin loves it and the most important thing is that it feels completely natural. The fig note is more prominent during summer, whereas all those subtle notes - such as mint, tea and citruses - stay longer during colder and less humid days. Carthusia is a topnotch brand. Ligea ('La Sirena') is also phenomenal.

29 July, 2012

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Extremely natural smelling. Even more natural than any of the L'Artisans. I smell rahat lokum, tea, very few citrus notes and all kinds of wet, fresh, rich, opulent roses. This is my favorite scent from the house of Les Parfums de Rosine. Surprisingly long lasting. I have found a rose centered fragrance that is just right for me and it was about time. I tried so many rose based scents... Une Zeste is incomparable.

28 July, 2012

Invigorating by Boadicea the Victorious

Beer, musk, pine, cleaning liquid and jasmin. Really odd, dark, dense and amazing. Like a laboratory accident gone right. Makes me wanna cough a little. I want it bad. It's like a less refined and less sweet version of Cuir Venenum. Very unique. I guess I got tired of smelling nice and fresh, and this one is everything but fresh, nice and polite. Lasts a long time and stays close to the skin which is fine with me.

28 July, 2012