Reviews by hickorysmoke

Halston Man Amber by Halston

I discovered I don't really like amber. This is also a total powder bomb. If you like amber and powder bombs this one is for you.
28th June, 2018

Wanted by Azzaro

Love the bottle. Nice materials. Glass and metal. No plastic. If it is plastic it is a realistic plastic. Don't take life so seriously, folks! Bottle is cool! I will say the bottle doesn't really match the scent though. You get a linear clean sweet scent with Wanted that will be pleasing to you and everyone around you. Hardly agressive or hard hitting as you would expect from a bottle that looks like a gun barrel, but it's still a cool bottle design and decent frag. Wanted seems best for summer/mild/warmer weather. Safe blind buy if you don't mind sweeter fragrances and need a playful/youthful easy reach for the summer.

Fan di Fendi pour Homme Assoluto by Fendi

Fan di Fendi Assoluto has no likeness to Dirty English. It is a heavy scent that gave me a headache. The oud and the myrrh were not light at all, but heavy and for me literally nauseating. The oud is quite medicinal, which I don't care for at all. I prefer oud scents that have neither a medicinal or fecal impression. Might just be my taste in fragrances, but I did not like this one.

CH Men Privé by Carolina Herrera

2018 - I was pretty shocked at how poor the quality was of CH Men Prive because it is not cheap. It is a barely there watered down skin scent. Perhaps at one time the quality was better? I don't get much sweetness from this just a sharp boozy note that sits close to the skin and is not pleasant for the wearer. Don't believe the hype. Find something better quality.

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

This smells like what I imagine the leather interior of new Ferrari smells like. For a leather scent it is pretty light, so it works for summer IMO. Something you can wear for a motorcycle ride or a weekend drive in a car with nice leather interior. A mild thumbs ups.
02nd June, 2018

Ferrari Radiant Bergamot by Ferrari

This doesn't smell like Mugler Cologne and I can't recall what Bergamot 22 smelled like. Opening blast of lime cocktail is great. Turns a bit powdery after that, which is a total bummer as I am not a fan of powder. Nice summer scent for lowball prices. Again, another one that is absolutely not not not worth a high dollar markup from Youtube hype.
01st June, 2018

Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani

This would be cool if it didn't have the rootbeer note.
30th May, 2018

Bulletproof No. 45 by Tokyo Milk

I didn't get any coconut or ebony woods. Got more of a tea scent. Very faint/close to the skin. It's really a shame because the description/notes sounded amazing.
28th May, 2018 (last edited: 15th June, 2018)

Hawas for Men by Rasasi

Notes From the Manufacturer:
Top: Apple, Bergamot, Lemon, Cinnamon
Middle: Orange Blossom, Cardamom, Plum
Base: Patchouli, Grey Amber, Drift Wood, Musk

Review:
This is more unisex/feminine leaning I would say. It is a subtle slightly sweet musky summer fragrance. It very much reminds me of a toned-down version of CK One Summer 2008/2013. The notes are not the same, but if Hawas had an intense version it would be CK One Summer 2008/2013. I like Hawas and I like CK One Summer 2008/2013. Hawas is the more refined subtle version though. CK One Summer 2008/2013 is louder. I will use both CK One Summer 2013 and Hawas this summer.

ETA: Hawas has that bit of bubblegum smelling note Im not crazy about, which is why some people probably feel it leans younger teens/early twenties. I would agree with that because of the slight bubblegum. I still like it, but it is a mild thumbs up. Also, this is definitely not worth inflated prices.
25th May, 2018

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

If you're looking for a different citrus scent this one is for you. Not sure if almond and lemon make a good combo. Opens up like frozen lemonade and then the almond breaks through. About the longevity you would expect from a citrus scent.

The Youtube hype is unwarranted, imho.
24th May, 2018 (last edited: 01st June, 2018)

Bulgari Man Black Cologne by Bulgari

Disclaimer: I have never smelled the other Bulgari Man Black, Orient, Esssence, etc., fragrances, so I have no attachment to how this Cologne version should smell.

Review: It's different. It is floral, but not a typical sweet warm floral. It's more like a cold floral if that makes sense. The tag for this fragrance is burning water, so I do get that idea of hot and cold with this one. I get this feeling of clay with this fragrance. Clay and a cold floral note. It's interesting and I like it. It is not a common popular type of scent, which in my opinion is a good thing. I prefer something a little different. It does smell more upscale.

I don't get the rum note at all in this and I'm begining to feel this note doesn't translate on my skin or it is a note that is not distinct enough in the first place/is easy to smell like other things? Perhaps the clay smell is the rum note? I do get spices though. I guess that is the chilly in the rum? Never heard of a note called Chilly Rum.

Update: I'm really liking this one. I wish I would have bought a bigger bottle of this instead of L'homme Ideal Cologne.
24th May, 2018 (last edited: 27th May, 2018)

L'Aventure by Al Haramain

I sampled Aventus and found the dry down smelled like an older male cigarette smoker that wears a powerhouse cologne. I really did like the opening of Aventus though, so when I read that CDNI (another clone) was more of that cigarette smoke effect I opted for L'Aventure. I'm happy I went this way. L'Aventure has more pineapple/greenery/woods/musk and less cigarette smoke. It smells fresher throughout. Unless I have nose fatigue L'Aventure doesn't seem as super strong as most people have found. So far L'Aventure is a very good scent and much cheaper than Aventus and some of the other clones.

ETA: My batch number is BH: 140716011604 Someone mentioned reformulation, which I know nothing about, but this one is cool. I do get a bit of that fresh cut grass thing another review mentioned, but for me it adds to the freshness and balances out the musk and smoke.
23rd May, 2018 (last edited: 03rd June, 2018)

Black by Bulgari

Smells like plastic/rubber and baby powder. Feminine leaning of the unisex range.

Bentley for Men Intense by Bentley

Since this is mid 2018 I may have gotten an old or reformulated bottle, but this was not strong nor did I get any of the notes described. On my skin I got a B.O. smell and plastic. Something is not right with this fragrance/bad product.

Perry Ellis Oud : Black Vanilla Absolute by Perry Ellis

Again, not sure why this had Youtube hype. Smells like vanilla baby powder. There is no woods, rum, darkness. More on the feminine side of unisex.

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

The opening of DR is not super appealing. Smells like gas/oil/medicinal something. The dry down is a bit of that, but turns into a cherry tobacco cigar shop type of scent. I like the dry down. I don't really get rum unless the rum note is the gas/oil/cherry I'm smelling with the tobacco. A mild thumbs up, but I think this one may grow on me.
14th May, 2018

Elixirs of Nature : Widdringtonia by Body Shop

This is a really nice, rich, sweet, cedar fragrance. It doesn't last very long. You will need to bring it with you or spray on clothes/hair. Another review mentioned Diptyque Philosykos as a reference and it is somewhat reminescent of that fragrance from what I recall. There is no fig in Widdringtonia, but it has some similar notes and similar "niche" quality. This is not your typical light/clean masculine cedar fragrance this one is thicker, more luxurious and really sweet. The note breakdown here doesn't indicate the sweetness. The manufacturer blurb below states it would be edgy and daring for a woman, but I would say this fragrance leans more feminine because of the sweetness. Unisex though. A sweet unisex.

MANUFACTURER BLURB:
A woody aromatic mash up of Clanwilliam Cedarwood with a warm trail of sage and vetiver for an earthy sophistication. It instantly takes you to the species spiritual home in South Africa’s Western Cape: a breath of fresh air blown through wood at the summit of the Cederberg mountain range. Unique and definitively edgy on a daring woman.
13th May, 2018

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Same as the original this smells like Indian food on my skin. On paper these smell better.
13th May, 2018

Déclaration by Cartier

I read there is a cumin note in here, but I don't see it in the breakdown. This fragrance smells like Indian food on my skin. Smells better on paper. Would not purchase.
12th May, 2018 (last edited: 15th May, 2018)

John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos

MARKETING BLURB FROM MANUFACTURER WITH NOTES:

This sensual, masculine fragrance is aromatic, with an assertive, spicy core and a warm, leathery-like background that makes it unique and inherently noble and gentlemanlike.
Brisk Moroccan coastal plants spiked with piquant fruits, cinnamon tree leaves, pepper, lush florals, smooth woods, and Turkish tobacco make this scent truly unforgettable.
Designer: John Varvatos
Type: EDT
Category: Men
Fragrance Notes: Top notes are wormwood, basil, rhubarb, quince, fennel and pepper; middle notes are juniper berries, lavender, cinnamon, jasmine, orris root and green leaves; base notes are tonka bean, tobacco, suede, patchouli, oakmoss, balsam fir and woody notes.

MY REVIEW:

This fragrance is a bit of an odd bird. The scent does not reflect the notes listed above. I don't get any of the usual tobacco/leather/tonka. Seems this was the first attempt in the vein of Dark Rebel Rider on the hippie store theme the brand has embraced. This one is not as horrible as Dark Rebel Rider, but it does wind up smelling like a hippie store/head shop/pot palace. Earthy with a bit of weird bubble gum. Not really sure why the House of John Varvatos is going down this road that has led them to Haight and Ashbury, but please do take the BART somewhere else. Platinum and Dark Rebel Rider are both not good fragrances.
11th May, 2018 (last edited: 15th May, 2018)

Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

Encre Noir a l'Extreme is a more palatable version of the original. The original Encre Noir is the more extreme, cartoony, bold, in your face version, so if you wished the original was more toned down this one is for you. Encre Noire a l'Extreme is the more refined, mass appealing, suitable for all occassions version. Like them both.
11th May, 2018

St. Kitts for Men by Tommy Bahama

The starfruit and salt make this different from your usual citrus blast/woods summer frag. Makes for a welcome addition to my summer rotation.
09th May, 2018 (last edited: 08th May, 2018)

Graphite by Montana

Sneezy woods with a tiny bit of amber or violet? This is a very, very simple fragrance. Must be okay with strictly straight up pepper and woods. It is strong and unforgiving. Your eyes might tear up.

UPDATE: This is missing something. It's like an unfinished composition.
08th May, 2018 (last edited: 26th May, 2018)

cK one Summer 2013 by Calvin Klein

Yes, this one is the same as 2008. 2008 and 2013 both fun/festive/summer melon/cucumber/aquatic scent. I like it even though may seem a bit teenager.

House of CK should put this formulation out again. Maybe Summer 2019?
08th May, 2018 (last edited: 12th May, 2018)

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Classic fragrance. On my second bottle. Cherry vanilla leather smoky goodness. Can't go wrong with this one.
02nd May, 2018 (last edited: 15th May, 2018)

Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos

Still in the initial stages of wearing this one. The first hour and a half of the raging campfire smell is awesome. I would rather they did not put patchouli in DRR. There is enough incense vibe with the other notes. Unfortunately, because patchouli is so common it takes DRR into "hippie store" territory as some other reviewers mentioned and were turned off by. If DRR was more straight up campfire, gasoline, resin, smokey woods, leather and roasted marshmallow (vanilla) without the patchouli and the flowery notes I think it would be cleaner and evoke more of the camp/moto wanderer. Even an interesting forest or a beach note would have worked better. I would have preferred palo santo or sage or pinon or something else along those lines in the base. What about rushing wind? I'll update again after more wear time, but in general fragrance folks GO EASY ON PATCHOULI in your releases and/or don't use it - it's really not your friend or mine. :-(

Also, this fragrance has nothing to do with Dirty English, which I own. I wish DRR had been more dry or included vetiver, oak moss or cypress instead of patchouli.

UPDATE: Second act of this fragrance is a patchouli bomb. You will smell more like a Hippie Chick from the 60's instead of a Dark Rebel Rider of today.
02nd May, 2018 (last edited: 06th May, 2018)

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos

Reminds me of a sharper version of Voyage d'Hermes. I did a side by side spray on skin comparison. Voyage d'Hermes comes across softer/smoother/more refined/less synthetic. Voyage d'Hermes also seemed to have more depth and the dry down was better. I do like Artisan Pure though. The sharpness is likely from the citrus in Artisan Pure that Voyage d'Hermes lacks. The similarity I guess is from the angelica/cedar. When I purchase Artisan Pure I will see how different the two wear over a longer period of time.
02nd May, 2018

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I call this frag Donut Shop. I've had it for awhile. I liked it. I didn't like it. It sat on the shelf for a year. I liked it again. I didn't like it. It sat on the shelf again. I'm on the fence now, but I wear it here and there.
REVIEW: It's a club scent. A sweetie. A little more mature though because it is soooo syrupy. It seems slightly boozy, but because of the aged donut shop thing going on. Put a donut shop in an oak cask and age it for 12 years = Givenchy Play Intense.
01st May, 2018 (last edited: 06th May, 2018)

Notting Hill for Him by English Laundry

Not sure why the Youtubers raved about this one. Totally BLAH. Opening is bad and dry down is a barely there nothing burger. EDP? I'm not sure about that seems a mislabel. Nice looking bottle though.

Update: Cannot believe this is selling for $100 plus dollars?! Insane. Not worth $20. I plan to avoid this brand.
26th April, 2018 (last edited: 03rd May, 2018)

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Classic summer fragrance. Mediterranean Sea vibe. Can't go wrong with this one.
26th April, 2018