Reviews by hickorysmoke

Tommy Brights by Tommy Hilfiger

Was wondering why this frag seems largely ignored? Perhaps it's not sold everywhere or TH is not popular anymore (90's). I saw one positive review about Tommy Brights on Youtube, so when I saw the gift set with a 3.4 bottle and a mini 1oz bottle for $25 I decided to give it a try as I was looking for a cologne type frag that was fresh and clean and yes, quite. I also wanted something green as I own mostly ocean/beachy type scents for warmer weather. The first blast I liked a lot. The fir balm and juniper make a strong green impression right away. It's hard to describe what comes next, but it almost smells a bit fig for some reason maybe it's the fir balm and incense note together that smell a little fig, but either way I enjoy it. TB is a simple fragrance and it doesn't seem to project much or I might have nose fatigue. I don't get the paper mache/glue reference at all unless maybe that's what it smells like on a tester strip? I never smelled AF Fierce, so not sure on that reference. Someone said Tomato Vine, which I'm guessing is the Pottery Barn candles/room oils? I never smelled those, but I looked at the breakdown of Tomato Vine, which includes: sweet grass, fig and moss, so quite possibly from what I am smelling of Tommy Brights. TB does smell green and a tad soft/sweet. I get the juniper and fir balm. I get something vaguely fig, which might be the Galbanum? TB is a pleasant scent that seems best suited for spring and can be worn casually or for work. Can be unisex.
04th December, 2015

Lalique White by Lalique

I was very disappointed with this scent and surprised so many people raved about Lalique White. It was fruity blah nothing. It's so weak and the tamarind note dominates because the rest of the composition doesn't have enough backing it to make it smell and better/different. The only other frag I know that has tamarind is JV original and it probably works in that one because the overall scent is much heavier.

Big disappointment.
04th December, 2015

Insurrection II Pure by Reyane

This is terrible. Loud Pine-Sol. Pass.
23rd November, 2015

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Unfortunately, I get more of the floral notes than the citrus/marine notes I had hoped for with this one. However, it is well blended and smells more natural than most for the price. As others have mentioned it certainly feels substantial for an eau de cologne. On my skin, I just get less ocean and more floral, which is not my preference. This is a bit of a disappointment as the note breakdown suggests otherwise, but the florals are the predominate notes. If you like a tempered floral scent or a unisex floral and want something subtle/classy for the summer, but with presence it would be a good buy.

ETA: The dry down is better/less floral. I'm on the fence with this one based on my own personal taste, but I think it is a quality scent. I'm still saying if you don't like florals don't go here.
21st November, 2015

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

It's almost 2016, so this might be a reformulation as there was no wooden box in the 3.4 bottle I picked up at the discounters for $20.

This is NOT on the level of John Varvatos, sorry folks. Complete waste of $ even at the cheapie price.

Starts off with what I guess is supposed to be the cognac note, which is fruity yuck then fades into NOTHING in about 30 minutes as others have reported.

Don't waste your time on this one, seriously not even worth $10.
20th November, 2015

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

Let me start by saying I bought the 3.4 bottle for 12.99 with the intention that if it smelled half way decent it would be a filler scent in my collection. For that price and purpose it works. I wear it cycling and to run inconsequential errands. Quite a let down for the brand, which has many stunners.
12th November, 2015

Encre Noire by Lalique

Loving this one! Smells like an unsweetened version of Le Labo Ylang 49.
29th October, 2015

Bang by Marc Jacobs

On my skin the opening blast of the pepper smells like cat piss and vitamins. Luckily it is rather brief and when it fades and the woods make an appearance I do kind of like it. I get the incense vibe and to me it smells kind of like dirt in a good way. Unfortunately, it doesn't project well and Bang is entirely gone in about 2-3 hours hence the name I suppose.

I bought the 50ml for $16, so I am not going to spend too much time complaining about Bang. If I paid retail I would be much more unhappy with this frag. If you are looking for a brief masculine/sensual scent this might be a nice change of pace.

I'm thinking because it is called Bang and the 2-3 hour longevity perhaps it was intended as a bedtime scent. Bang would also work for a trip to the gym.
23rd June, 2014 (last edited: 26th June, 2014)

Guess Seductive Homme by Guess

Fruity blah that lasted all of 90 minutes.
19th November, 2013

Mr Blass by Bill Blass

Total old man frag. It smells like one of my uncles houses I used to visit as a kid. He was a chain smoker. If you want to smell like chain smoking old man wearing a powerhouse cologne this ones for you!
19th November, 2013

Usher for Men by Usher

Smells like window cleaner and cat piss - simply horrible.
28th August, 2012

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

The strawberry/fruity opening did not appeal to me and from there nothing really special. 1 million is a much better choice.
20th August, 2012

Evolution by Rocawear

Evolution smelled great on paper for a fragrance I would like - boozy, spicy, woods. On paper I got the Varvatos and the Le Male reference. However, on my skin it turned out to be another scent entirely and those comparisons evaporated. Evolution is not on the Varvatos level. The opening smelled like a sour punch because the boozy rum I got on paper smelled like gasoline on my skin. When the opening died and the incense and amber came in I began to get the Le Male vanilla note because somehow all of those other notes smell like vanilla. In the background I could still smell the sour punch/gasoline though. What a bummer for something I really liked on paper.
20th August, 2012

H.M. by Hanae Mori

HINDSIGHT 20/20:
Gave near a full bottle away. I wanted to like it, but it just has too much going on and wound up being cloying in a really off putting way. I know there is a lot of hype on this fragrance, but I would encourage a prolonged try period with samples before you buy as it may wind up turning your stomach.
18th August, 2012 (last edited: 21st November, 2015)

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

Smells good, however projection/longevity is so weak nobody, including you, will know.
13th August, 2012

The Dreamer by Versace

Just boring, blah, even if you get it at the discount store I'm not sure anyone would wear this one much. The florals and bit of citrus remind me of a room deodorizer spray. I didn't get the tobacco at all. On my skin it stayed with the floral/lemon scent.
11th August, 2012

Deauville pour Homme by Michel Germain

Sharp and Nasty. The dry down wasn't quite as offensive, however I am puzzled why these notes that I usually enjoy turned out so yuk in this one...?
04th August, 2012

Tattoo pour Homme by Michel Germain

Excellent blind buy at the discount store for $10. People have compared it to a low ball Pure Malt. Haven't smelled that one, but this one is really nice.
02nd August, 2012

Power by 50 Cent

Found the 3.4 bottle at the discount store for 12.99 and gave it a try. Good purchase for the $. People have compared it to Paco Rabanne Black XS, but haven't tried that one. I can say, IMO, it smells like a tame version of Tommy Bahama Very Cool. Probably from the lemon I get that and the woods.

For the price it' a good buy, but after wearing for a few days I only get about 3 hours on this one, which is a bummer.
31st July, 2012 (last edited: 01st August, 2012)

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

I really enjoyed this one and unlike many others I actually like it better than Set Sail St. Barts. Very Cool is a fun, beachy, boozy scent that has a real crisp edge with the lemon note that is pretty prominent. I've seen the 3.4 as low as $15. Can't go wrong at that price for a casual summer scent.
31st July, 2012

cK one Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

Found the BIG bottle 6.7 at the discount store for 29.99 and gave it a try. I like it. The cherry note people describe wasn't super sugary for me. IMO it blends really well with the darker notes. It was also surprisingly subtle.
31st July, 2012