Reviews by mielr

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

I hate to say it, but this fragrance smells cheap. I smell neither gardenia nor tuberose. I have a HUGE gardenia bush in my yard, so I am well acquainted with the scent of the flower and I have also worn some of the most faithful gardenia-based scents (Jungle Gardenia, Gardenia Passion) and some of the best tuberose-based scents (Blonde, Fracas) and this scent is not in the same league. This fragrance has a sharp, shrill quality to it, without any of the warmth and depth of a good gardenia-tuberose based scent. This fragrance is not terrible; it's just poor quality and very disappointing especially when you take the outrageous price into consideration.

19th August, 2012

Joy by Jean Patou

I consider this fragrance far superior to its slightly older contemporary, the over-hyped Chanel No.5. I'm only familiar with the formulations made from the 1970s-1990s, so I can't comment on any newer formulations. I have vivid memories of sneaking some of this from my mother's vanity when I was barely tall enough to reach it!

Amarige by Givenchy

I didn't love this fragrance when it was first introduced, but it grew on me. Men seem to love it- I always get compliments from them when I wear it. It reminds me a little bit of bananas! It's a bit heavy, so I only tend to wear it in colder weather.

Je Reviens by Worth

This is simply one of the most magnificent scents ever created. If you haven't experienced this scent, you are missing out. I'm not familiar with the more modern re-formulations, so I can't comment on whether or not they hold a candle to the 1970s-1980s formulations that I'm acquainted with. I will always associate this with my mom's "going out" nights in the 1970s, yet it's a fragrance I enjoy wearing myself. I have a hard time describing it- it's one of those scents that you truly have to experience yourself, but I consider it thoroughly modern, in spite of it's long heritage.

Dolly Girl by Anna Sui

I bought this fragrance as well as its follow-up "Ooh La Love" because of the cute bottles, so I didn't really care what they smelled like. Having said that, this fragrance isn't terrible, it's just not remarkable. A bit too sweet for me; I prefer the less-sweet "Ooh La Love" for that reason.

10th August, 2012

Dolly Girl Ooh La Love by Anna Sui

I have to admit, I bought this fragrance and the original Dolly Girl fragrance, for their adorable mannequin-head bottles. Having said that, I have worn both fragrances from time to time, and I have to say I prefer this scent to the original. The original scent is a bit too sweet for my taste, however this one is drier, a bit spicy and more wearable to me.

10th August, 2012

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I remember testing this and liking it when it was first introduced. I recently tried it again when I was shopping and I decided I had to have a bottle. It's just a wonderful, warm scent without the overbearing sickly-sweetness that most new scents seems to have now. The longevity of this fragrance is AMAZING. In spite of the rumors this has been reformulated & watered-down, I could still smell this on my arm the following day. This scent seems to improve as it wears down on my skin, which I can't say for most fragrances. The fragrance is powerful, though, so you definitely don't want to douse yourself in it and as such it's probably best suited for cooler months of the year. So, this has definitely become one of my new favorite cool-weather scents.

09th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16th August, 2012)

Obsession by Calvin Klein

I fell in love with this when I was 14 or 15 years old. My tastes have changed considerably since then and many favorites of that era have fallen by the wayside, but this is one of the few fragrances that I still wear decades later. I tend to only wear it in cooler weather, however, since it is a "warm" scent. It can be to heavy if sprayed to generously, so I'm always conservative with the amount I use. It's funny, I love orange blossom and jasmine, but I don't really consciously detect either of those notes. There seems to be a ghost of vanilla in there somewhere, but it's not listed and if you really search for it, you can't detect it, like a false memory, (certainly not like the distinct vanilla in Hypnotic Poison). Not a trace of sweetness like in most of today's fragrances, thank goodness! Too bad the ethos of the fragrance industry has changed so drastically....it's a cliche, but "they don't make 'em like this anymore."

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This fragrance is nice, pleasant, inoffensive, a bit different and interesting, but not remarkable. Do I detect Lilly Of The Valley somewhere in the mix? It avoids the trap of the sickening sweetness that every other fragrance of the day seems to be falling into.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

This one is very different and interesting at first, but there is something plasticky (aldehydes?) that is unpleasant to me.