Reviews by muskymoi

muskymoi's avatar
    muskymoi

La Fille De Berlin by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A little bit Rose Rebelle by a Lab on Fire and a little bit Cafe Rose by Tom Ford. Not very original in the notes but SL has a way of blending them in a way that no one else does...very nice indeed. Nice sillage on this one. Stays put most of the day on me.

21st March, 2013

Rose Rebelle by A Lab on Fire

there's something a little dark and hard to wear about this perfume. For some reason, the "cocoa" turns to something akin to leather on me; leather being a difficult note for me to wear. I can't put my finger on it but the rose tones it down ever so slightly and in such a pretty way, that I'm enjoying the experience of wearing it and seeing its evolution. very evocative. i'm a little infatuated with it, actually.

24 January, 2013

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

I own nothing else like this. To me, it's a perfect combination of florals and musk/amber. It's subtle, elegant and a real catch for me. Sillage is ok and longevity doesn't seem to be a priority for this scent, but that just means that I get to keep it close to me for a few glorious hours.

03 January, 2013

Miss Dior Le Parfum by Christian Dior

This is so beautiful, i have no words to describe it. I missed the whole Miss Dior (Cherie) train of umpteen iterations. Dior was being a bore about flankers. Aren't they all, following the trail blazed by Thierry (I can't wear Angel). Anyhoo. I almost missed this one in the store because I thought it was yet another boring iteration of Miss Dior (Cherie), except I looked closer and saw that "Cherie" was missing and the gold plate had "Le Parfum" engraved on it, which I thought was interesting since the bottle has a spray nozzle. So, I picked it up to sniff and totally lost my heart to it. It's creamy and lush and a touch gourmandy but has an effervescence; it's creamy sweet champagne or like a champagne reduction sauce. Yum.

12 October, 2012

Love and Tears by By Kilian

I simply just fell in love. I didn't think I'd love any jasmine other than beloved No.5, but this one is tempered by the ylang ylang. Just gorgeous. It's just so feminine and surprisingly more Love than Tears. Besides, Kilian himself sold it to me during a visit--even wrote me a little card saying something very sweet. No one says no to Kilian. He's pretty hot actually. No chest hair though (he does the french thing of wearing a nice suit paired with a nice shirt unbuttoned all the way to the pec area). Oh well, they can't ALL look like Tom Selleck!

20th September, 2012

Amber Oud by By Kilian

No oud, though oud is in the name. It's all amber-patch-vanilla-smoke; lovely but soooo done by soooo many lines, both designer and niche. In fact, I'm a bit insulted that BK would charge this amount of money for a fragrance that has no oud in it at all and isn't so far off from Prada's amber family. Shouldn't the price tag be commensurate with the raw materials?

But, what do I know...I'm not a perfumer...just the consumer with the wallet.

Not FB-worthy for me.

13 September, 2012

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

The powder, florals, and rose make this smell like pre-coital arousal rather than the post-coital stink of a bedroom with closed windows. I feel positively virginal wearing this; albeit a virgin living in a brothel...

The leather and animalic notes do all the dirty work here, however little there is of it...

definitely a love (since I own it) and definitely safe for the office or brunch with your devout mother-in-law.

10th September, 2012

Elie Saab Le Parfum by Elie Saab

It's rather pretty actually. I like the blend of notes and the effervescent effect on my skin. It's like the patchouli and orange blossom dancing a little tango on my arm. And, for my money, one of the more affordable means of obtaining a Francis kurkdjian fragrance, in that I find it hard to believe that he'd save all his talent for his own house's production.

05 September, 2012

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

this pink sweetheart is about as oriental as a perfume can get. It's like the naughty little sister of Shalimar--she just realized that her curvy bottom and perky bosoms are weapons of mass destruction. And she's eager to learn how to use them. A definite to buy for me. A smidge sweeter, less powder. MUST have it for my own, my precious. OK. I just weirded MYSELF out...Ladies, sample it! If BN had two thumbs for upping, AP would have it.

04 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

Krasnaya Moskva / Red Moscow by Novaya Zarya

This gets the best rating, first and foremost, because my babushka wore this perfume her whole life. When she died I grabbed the bottle off her vanity before anyone could dispose of it. I knew at 10 years old the strong connection between scent and memory. I'm glad I took the bottle.

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

I can appreciate the artistry of the blend of notes, but it's not speaking to me the way, say Anne Pliska just did. I think maybe I'm not a huge fan of citrus at the top...in fact, I'm sure of it. I'm wishing a little that the citrus was toned down a smidge.

Nuda by Nasomatto

this one reminds me of those old classics from the 20's with a modern tangy twist and maybe slightly less powdery. Woe is me, I have to save for an eternity to buy this one....but buy it I shall. Until then, the sample will have to suffice.

Nebras by Al Rehab

That first fleeting whiff certainly reminded me of Boudoir, but on the skin it's a pure fruity rose on me. It's lovely and it makes me think of romance and first kisses and holding hands. Whereas Boudoir makes me think of disrobing quickly and efficiently such as to effectuate being found in flagrante delicto by an equally disrobed individual of the opposite sex.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

My mom gave this to me because it gave her skin rash. It gives me nose rash. No likey. Can't figure out why....

29 August, 2012

Secrets de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I can't put my finger on it, but this one disturbs me a bit...makes me uncomfortable, in the same way as if I'm being stared at by someone very intently...does that even make sense?

At the same time, I can't say I hate SDR either. I just can't wear it. Smells like a bonfire of roses.

29 August, 2012

Belle du Soir by Le Labo

I know they don't really share any notes, from what I read, but BDS reminded me of Shalimar in the top note opening for about 10 minutes before settling into the woods. Sillage, medium to low. Longevity, about 5 good hours. I wore it on a first date. No compliment. :(

It's a very nice, comforting and mood enhancing scent. Like. Plus, it's a sizable le labo for only $62. Score!

UPDATE: So, despite the big name behind it (Le Labo), I returned it to anthro because at the drydown I smelled like a sweaty lumberjack---i.e., like Paul Bunyan would smell after wrestling with Babe for a few hours...so very unsexy.

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2012)

Doux Amour by Spadaro

intoxicating; sharp at the top and dries down to creaminess that is hard to describe. I walked a little taller and hazarded a red lipstick after trying this one on at the counter. I also took a bottle home with me.

15 August, 2012

Crystal Noir by Versace

This is a sweet noir (with that blast of coconut) as opposed to, say, Sensuous Noir (Estee Lauder), which is a smoky, floral tobacco noir. Both different, both noir, both good.

I'm going to have to add this one to my wish list...

Update: removed from wish list because I realized, quite recently, that I prefer those older vintagey and complex scents that suggest seduction rather than scream sex with olfactive shamelessness. I liken it to preferring ms. havisham over Estella, as characters.

14 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2012)

Sensuous Noir by Estée Lauder

this is so smoky, tobacco-y, and lush...if I'm wearing this on a night out, I'm a-huntin'...

14 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2012)

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

Top note smelled like I had just moisturized with the catch of the day. Drydown was nicer but not so extraordinary as to warrant the purchase price (for my money, anyway).

11th August, 2012