Reviews by Cricketkitty

Ritz by Charles of the Ritz

If you lived through the disco era, you should remember this fragrance. It held its own amongst the Halston, Bill Blass, and Pierre Cardin fragrances of that time. A light airy woodsy-floral, very upbeat, and, to quote the other comments on here, very, very classy. There was a brief period of time this came out in an aerosol can, too, as a sales gimmick. Alas, like disco, this had to come to an end as the company is no longer in existence, but I really enjoyed this fragrance while it lasted.

15 March, 2014

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

The first whiff was pretty loud with a medicinal note, but settled quickly to a nice fragrance that stayed close to the body. This is an old Hollywood fragrance despite being somewhat new. This is not office or work fragrance, but meant to be enjoyed while really dressing up. I don't see young girls enjoying this fragrance, it seems to me to be for the 30 and older crowd, and yes I get the unisex. It is very glamorous and moody fragrance that, alas, I can't pull off anymore.

08 March, 2014

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

If you are expecting to smell like a doobie, this perfume is not for you. Instead, despite the name, is a sweet, chocolate, foodie-type perfume, which I'm just not into. The longevity was really good, I smelled like a candy bar for hours.

08 March, 2014

Nirvana White by Elizabeth and James

I was prepared to dislike this one as I am not enamored with the Olsen twins, so I was quite surprised when I squirted this on, went about my business, then caught a whiff and said "Whoa, what is this?" Extremely, fresh out of the shower clean, very simple floral with a musk base. Extremely light, I can't find it offending in the office setting, but nice enough to wear at night. Like most light florals, the longevity is about four hours, tops. I can see it getting lost in the winter woolens, so save this for summertime wear.

06 March, 2014

I Love New York For Holidays by Bond No. 9

Got a big smack of tangerine as soon as I sprayed it, then it moved over a bit and let some of the other fruits in. I'm just not getting the woods. On me this has gone very sweet and strident. I think of young women clubbing when I smell this fragrance. Too much for me, but by no means a bad fragrance.

03 March, 2014

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

When I smelled this the first time I thought "this smells like an older scent" but I didn't know it was from 1916! I really got the citrus at first, then it died down to an herbal scent fairly fast. Does not last long though, four hours on me. It is a nice light fragrance, would do well in the warmer months. This is a fragrance that isn't real feminine or very masculine, so if your sexuality kind of goes down the middle of the road, this would be an excellent fragrance for you.

03 March, 2014

Florabotanica by Balenciaga

Could not wait to try this as I had already read about it and loved the packaging. What I got was a very dry and powdery rose. The fragrance is very linear, with the only variation being a very slight minty freshness in the beginning, but that left with evaporation. This is a very tenacious fragrance, one little squirt left a comet trail behind me for a long time, and when I woke up the next morning (after a shower the night before) I could still smell it clinging to my wrist. Something about it reminds me of very well dressed ladies in the 1960s-1970s. I heard it has a note of cannibis in it, I guess that is what is reminding me of that era.

09 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 19 March, 2013)

Sand & Sable by Coty

This is some stinky stuff. Syrupy sweet tuberose and gardenia mixed up with some type of plastic and a dash of that dreaded "cat pee" note that sends me running. But, for some reason, a lot of men comment on this being their favorite fragrance. That usually tells me right off the bat we are not going to have anything in common.

21st September, 2012

Masumi by Coty

This was a somewhat powdery oriential with a smoky base. It reminds me of Opium if you took out the bright spiciness of Opium. Definitely smelled a lot more expensive than the actual price tag.

21st September, 2012

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

Does this remind anybody of Enjoli that was out in the 70s? This is what this reminds me of. I got a lot of the fruits everyone mentions (probably too much), I couldn't find the tuberose that its famous for. It gets a bit better as the day goes on. Don't worry about re-spraying as it will surely still be there as it lasts forever, and leaves a fruit trail wherever you go.

Poppy by Coach

I found this fragrance to be undescribably nasty, but I'll give it a try. Think of the Juicy Fruit gum we used to chew, add a little more sugar, and make it oppressive, damp, and so sweet you expect it to crystalize on your skin when you spray it on, and you have Coach Poppy.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

I'm basing my review on the Charlie from back in the 70s.

What I got was a bright citrus opening, followed by a mellow floral, very bright, with a clean drydown . In the mid 70s, I didn't know one girl who didn't have this on her dresser. When I see a tester of this in a drug store I always take a sniff, and it transports me back to high school. I think it is overlooked because of the low price tag, but it beats the heck out of some of the stuff that is so popular today (are you listening, Coach?)

AV by Adrienne Vittadini

Oh how we all ran to the mall like a pack of lemmings to get this one back in the mid 1990s. It was wildly popular there for a while, and I don't know why. At the time it was advertised as a "fresh", but fresh what I don't know. The only way I can describe this is hairspray, the cheapest hairspray availabe. Burns your nose and eyes, and makes little children sneeze. Pass on this one.

Calyx by Prescriptives

An intense, screeching, nostril searing green concoction that smells like pulling weeds out of the garden. If you had to put this in a category, I guess it would be unholy sharp and green, with some horrid type of citrus. A sales associate one time accidentally sprayed this in my face and I have hated it ever since. Of all the 100+ reviews I have done, this is definitely the worst one of the bunch.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

When I tried this, all I got was chocolate-caramel sticky sweet sickening cake batter with a whalloping double dose of vanilla. Makes me think of eating Nestle's Quick out of the can as a child.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I really wanted to like this fragrance out of respect for Liz Taylor, but try as I might, I couldn't.

I occasionally got whiffs of coconut, but its not listed in the notes. The rest of it is plastic and screechy synthetic notes.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a very classy fragrance. The first few seconds of this is not really that impressive, but the drydown is nice. Its just not very memorable in my book. It to me smells like a 1950s fragrance. This is not girl potion, this one is for women. Nice, but it just didn't work for me.

Most Precious by Irma Shorell

We all had a bottle of this as young teenagers. It was a soft floral, reminded me of honeysuckle, though that is not mentioned in the makeup of this delicate fragrance. I do get the lily of the valley on this. I haven't seen it in years, though. A shame because young teenagers would be a perfect market for this. It just smelled nice.

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

A male sales associate whispered to me at a department store that when he smells this he has to "adjust himself". Of course I couldn't resist trying it after that and I walked around the mall and didn't have to fight off any men or run for my "virtue".

What I did get was a sickeningly, overwhelming sweetness that smelled like Jolly Ranchers to me. It just downright stank.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

I bought a bottle of this in the mid 90s. While it wasn't a bad fragrance, on me all I could get was vanilla and leather. I gave the bottle away half full, I just couldn't deal with smelling like vanilla wafers at the bottom of a Coach purse any more.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I little too girlie for me. It is a light, sweet, extremely rose and floral scent, that on me smelled the same from start to finish. There is nothing objectionable about this fragrance--after all in the mid 80s we all owned a bottle of it--but its just too little girlie and "pink" for me now.

Good fragrance for tweens.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I don't know if my review is for the new or the old version of this fragrance, but I'm speaking for the early 80s.

Opium is the mother of all orientals. Its sexy, loud, spicy, warm to hot, and one squirt lasts forever. The woman who wears this must be very sure of herself. Unfortunately I cannot wear this, it goes crazy on me, but I do appreciate it on others.

Next time I'm out shopping, I'll give the new version a try. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Ellen Tracy (new) by Ellen Tracy

Warm, mildly spicy, slightly sweet, wonderful florals, what is there not to like about this fragrance. It suits so many different people. It is one of the few orientials that could be worn in the dead heat of summer and not offend anyone.

Does anybody else get a resemblance of this to Miss Dior Cherie, a much milder version?

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Oh how I wanted to like this fragrance. All the build up, the publicity, the "Sex in a Bottle", etc. and all I got was pure musk. No florals, wood notes, just pure musk, like a bottle of Jovan Musk oil. It was not disgusting or vile, just not worth the hefty price tag when you can get Jovan Musk oil at the corner drug store.

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

I really liked my experience with this odd little fragrance. Yes, it definitely reminds you of D & G Light Blue, but the apple is a little more prominent in this fragrance, and the cedar base not quite as prominent as D & G. Does not last very long but while its there is smells quite nice. Does not have the metallic note I detect in D & G, just a bit more mellow. Thoroughly enjoyed my bottle, then moved on to something else.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

All I got from this was a soapy floral with a touch of musk, like you had just taken a shower with one of those little pink rose shaped guest soaps and had forgotten to wash a few places.

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

I was prepared to dislike this, as Jennifer Aniston is not one of my favorite actresses, but I was surprised to find a nice, clean, fresh fragrance, ideal for warmer weather.

Within 10 minutes it had turned into a Bounce sheet.

Within the hour it was completely gone.

Tried it again on a hot, humid, day and the same thing occurred. I'll save my money for a more lasting fragrance, or at the very least a box of Bounce sheets.

Zen (original / black) by Shiseido

It is sad this wonderful fragrance was discontinued. It was definitely woody notes with a bit of spice, very light oriental.

My mother and I bought my grandmother a bottle of this when I was a small child, and I can still see the beautiful black and gold bottle on her dresser. This fragrance will always remind me of the holidays and Christmas shopping, and as a child I thought it was the best perfume I had ever smelled.

The new Zen is a poor imposter in my opinion.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Heaven help me, if this is not the most vile fragrance I have ever smelled. I can't imagine anyone over 12 wearing this. Super sugar sweet, like overwhelming cotton candy or cake icing. My idea of hell on earth would be to be forced to wear this nasty stuff or work with someone who does.

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

This is a genuine gardenia, but I swear on me I get a scent of figs!! However, this is a very feminine scent and has a certain amount of glamor to it. I bought a bottle, enjoyed it greatly, then moved on to something else and never looked back.