Reviews by giuspa

Neroli by Czech & Speake

A good bitter orange eau de cologne; it starts with a strong taste of orange flowers, and it remains on your skin for one or two hours, but vanishing rather soon; it's a good summer fragrance, anyway.
14th October, 2012 (last edited: 27th October, 2012)

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

I bought it several years ago, but I remember it didn't match with my taste. A sharp and strong mix of herbal effects, but I felt it was terribly unfit for my skin. I do like herbal fragrances, but this one was very heavy and not harmonious. I guess it's the classical EdT you can love or hate, without half-ways. Surely I did not love it at all.
14th October, 2012 (last edited: 27th October, 2012)

Vétiver Vert by Czech & Speake

I do not know if I really like it or not. The vetyver is stifled by other woody, smoke and incense notes; the mix is not bad anyway, but a little bit cloying; if you're looking for a real vetyver fragrance, don't search it here.

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

Absolutely great. My favourite C&S EdT, and one of my favourite lavender's fragrances, if not the best. A charming mix of lavender with rosemary, mint and something like liquorice, with an almost medicinal drydown, but I like it so much. Very dry, very austere, very masculine. And very appreciated by my friends.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

sumptuous fragrance, not so easy to wear, but I remember I did like this kind of EdT -with geranium and rose mixed to woody notes-, a very English one. Very longlasting, almost pervading: you must measure it very carefully.

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

Very strange. At first, after the beginning (a mix of citrusy and rosemary notes) I felt like some sweat smell, not very pleasant, I must confess. After this, I got used to wear it and appreciate the drydown, rather bitter and agrèable. Not an easy EdT, anyway; C&S has done better things.

Lavender by Crabtree & Evelyn

Good for lavender's lover (I am too), but with a gross lack of longevity. It's a pure lavender's fragrance, but after one hour it's like you didn't wear anything. Otherwise, you'd have to drain your own bottle in three-four times. Much better you drive to other longlasting lavender fragrances

Hungary Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

I bought it 20 years ago. Rosemary and citrusy notes à go-go. A classic eau de cologne, very sharp and bitter, something similar to a mild version of Penhaligon's Blenheim bouquet. Not a masterpiece, but pleasant, after all.

Newport (new) by Caswell-Massey

Nothing new. The usual marine and ozone notes, with a hint of ambra and musk, you can find in a lot of cheap fragrances. You can choose a lot of better things.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Remarkable. A piece of history. Great EdT, with a wild, herbal approach. There's a hint of balsamic and marine notes, like often in Creed's products. But this one opened the road. A great classical fragrance.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

an excellent green and fresh EdT. Something original, particular, but very herbal and energizing anyway; it opens with a hint of citrusy notes, but suddendly you'll enjoy a mix of sage, verbena, jasmine and maybe other almost balsamic herbs; I guess some part of moss and patchouli in the drydown. The result is gorgeous, even if too expensive, like all Bond n. 9 products.
08th October, 2012

English Lavender by Atkinsons

Unforgettable: it was my father's lavender, a lot of years ago, but I used to wear it as well. A very sharp and fresh fragrance, a great classic, a real English lavender without compromises: if you're looking for a smooth kind of lavender, with some sweet drydown (like Caron's Pour un Homme, I mean), don't look for this. Here you'll find a well composed bouquet of lavender with a background of other herbs and citruses, for a very dry and clean aroma.
08th October, 2012

Acqua di Genova Colonia by Acqua di Genova

oh, good old times! A very classical eau de cologne, a fragrant bouquet composed with floral and citrusy notes. An atmosphere of a mediterranean springtime. Excellent both for him and her. When I decide to wear a classic white linen suit on a white shirt, with a polka dot yellow bow tie and a panama hat, as I take a walk on a country road of Liguria in a sunny day, I 'd wear this one too: it's perfect.
22nd September, 2012 (last edited: 08th October, 2012)

Acqua di Portofino by Acqua di Portofino

at the end its worse shortage is a lack of personality: I remember at least 20 or more absolutely similar fragrances. Usual mix of citrusy and marine notes, very light and mild, maybe with a hint of basil and a short drydown with musk. I bought it once, it won't happen anymore.

Blu Mediterraneo : Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

green figs and lemon. The summer is hot and this one is a very refreshening fragrance. Good mix of green and citrusy notes; I must confess that at the end of the bottle I was bored of it, but the reason is the very neat personality of this EdT, you can deeply love but maybe not forever. Good, not excellent anyway.

Blu Mediterraneo : Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

unusual. Not bad, but "difficult". More feminine than masculine, I think. A strange but not botched mix of vanilla, almond, maybe coffee, with a hint of orange notes. Sicilian, but perhaps caribbean; I guess it gives the best as you wear it going to the seaside (and in fact it has a aftersun-like smell)

Blu Mediterraneo : Cipresso di Toscana (original) by Acqua di Parma

A lonely path in the deep green of Tuscany, bound to some place of meditation. Around, tall cypresses remember me there is a cemetery upthere. I crush a cypress berry and a sharp smell comes to my nose. This is what happens when you spray a little quantity of this one on your wrist; but you'll detect some rosemary and sage aroma as well, and later some bitter and woody notes will remain on your skin. Not bad indeed.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

chapeau. A great, traditional Eau de Cologne: strong mediterranean and citrusy aromas (lemon, bergamot), and rose and lavender fragrances, in a delicious mix. The drydown is sweet, almost as vanilla, but pleasant and absolutely not cloying. A real miracle of balance, elegance, smoothness. And even long lasting enough, in comparison of most part of other classical cologne waters.

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

There are some Villoresi's fragrances I do like a lot. This one isn't one of these. I was intrigued by the name, "Spezie": it made me think of a spicy, oriental and bitter EdT. I wore it, and in fact the first notes seemed an indistint bouquet of powdery spices ; but after one hour I felt like if I was going out from a kitchen after cooking tomato sauces with celery for a whole day . I tried it some other times, but the result was the same: unweareble. That's what I think about it.
08th September, 2012 (last edited: 08th October, 2012)

Fleur de Liane by L'Artisan Parfumeur

excellent. I think it's my favourite "green" fragrance, the one I got what I really expected from. The opening is a mix of fresh cut grass, seaside atmospheres, fresh smell of a rain just falling on a dry country road. The drydown reveals a woody but yet green heart. Long lasting enough. I definitely adore it.
08th September, 2012 (last edited: 10th September, 2012)

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Not bad, but not for me. I expected a lavender-based EdT, and it's true, you can distinguish lavender at first and even in the drydown. But at first it's mixed with other herbal notes (sage? Rosemary?) and a strong citrusy component; then the fresh notes are overwhelmed by sweetest notes (maybe amber and moss); the strange result is something like lemon candy, rather tiresome to my nose. To be used with sparingness, anyway. At the end of the bottle I was bored of it.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

not an easy EdT. But charming, attractive, dark and deep, but not sober. At once strong echoes of burnt pinewood mixed with some caramel aroma, but not in a mawkish way. The drydown is longlasting, the piney notes remain still strong and mixed with incense and a warm spicy base reminding rhubarb aroma. I think it's neither for everyday nor for office, but it's excellent to feel it on during a sunday walk in a sharp and frosty morning of january.

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

one of the best EdT in my collection. Very bitter, woody, austere, somehow medicinal aroma. Very longlasting. Perfect in a cold and rainy day. I'm very disappointed because they told me it's out of distribution in Europe; so I have to use it with some thriftiness...

Lemon Sorbet by Etro

chapeau. A great citrusy/spicy EdT. The opening is a strong lemon bouquet, with a hint of mint. Then you'll discover other mediterranean aromas, like rosemary. It reminds a sunny day at seaside, salty sails after a regatta, freshness of a summer tide. If you want to enjoy it at its best, I do suggest to hold it in a refrigerator and use it when it's still cold. It will emit all its shades slowly, and at the same time you will feel a fantastic and energetic sensation of freshness.

Sel de Vétiver by The Different Company

If you like a dry EdT, not intrusive yet long lasting -but more as an aroma than as a perfume- reminding both woody and marine notes, this is good for you. The opening is rather "salty", with a hint of pamplemousse; but suddendly it becomes almost similar to the aroma of beach sand at the sunset, when a light wind pushes fragrances of fresh leaves and burnt woods. A unique aroma, revealing elegant personality.