Reviews by OlfactorQuest

OlfactorQuest's avatar
    OlfactorQuest

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I thought I was ready to experience this classic. Gourmand orientals are probably my favorite genre and I'm really into fragrances with character and depth. That said, this is the first fragrance I've tried that made me want to scrub it off my wrist immediately. I fought the impulse and tried to give it some time but I couldn't go longer than 20 minutes.

My first impression was vile. Angel is so sweet it smells dirty. It made me feel sticky and in need of a shower. It smelled like I had my face against a dirty wooden floor after a 4 year old birthday party, in which the raspberry popsicles and vanilla ice cream were a hit, got out of hand and ended in a mess of sticky-faced, noise-picking, obnoxious children. Also brought this imagery of a landfill for popsicle sticks.

It shrieks. I tried to ignore it while browsing the rest of the store, hoping that it would simmer down and reward my patience with something pleasant smelling. But I felt like I was being followed by a banshee.

I do have to give Angel credit for being so salient and uncanny. It evokes memories of my past nightmares. The scent is permanently branded into my memory as a synesthetic image. The main notes I could detect were raspberry, an overdose of patchouli, and a smidge of vanilla. All scents that should be agreeable, but somehow the combination is raunchy and undeniably unforgettable.

21st October, 2012

Fantasy by Britney Spears

This was one of the first perfumes I ever purchased. I've enjoyed wearing an air-sprayed spritz for a light and playful hint of scent. Smells like cotton candy minus the fluffy heat of fresh cotton candy. Yesterday, I sprayed it on my wrist for a change. It was awful. This bizarre peppery, deet scent was very prominent for several hours. I resisted the urge to scrub it off in the hope that it would eventually turn into something equally as surprising as the deet accord but much more pleasant. After a while it simmered down into a soft candy scent that was nice but not worth the wait. Either way, I'm pretty sure I have outgrown this very juvenile fragrance.

05 October, 2012

Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga

I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga (nothing against her, just never got into her), but I really like this perfume. I just have a sample but I'm considering purchasing a bottle. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I asked the SA to recommend a perfume that projects "I'm the b*tch in charge" and this was what she pointed me to. It's actually very soft and sensual. The top notes are fruity, soft, and creamy. It dries down to a subdued oriental with apricot still in there and something warm and spicy underneath it. It's subtle and sheer but interesting enough to be enjoyable to wear. Low sillage and low to moderate staying power make this a great choice for the wearer who wears perfume for her own pleasure.

25 September, 2012

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I purchased Lolita Lempicka at Sephora's on blind impulse. The description sounded so amazing and even though there were no samples to try, I took the plunge. It was classified as a vanilla-amber oriental, but to my surprise and initial disappointment, it wasn't the warm comforting scent I was expecting -- but it was so intriguing. The first impressions that hit my nose were violets and absinthe (due to the anise). I've been told before that I look like Emily Strange, but when wearing this I feel like Emily Strange.
    This is not the “come hither and nuzzle me” kind of scent I was looking for. Instead, it seems to say, “follow the white rabbit”. I was indeed intrigued to learn how deep this rabbit hole goes. To me Lolita smells like what I imagine the confection from Alice in wonderland that had “eat me” written on it smelled like to Alice. This scent isn’t a gourmand in the delicious sense, but it is vaguely reminiscent of something edible. Lolita doesn’t bring to mind anything that comes from a bakery or a candy shop, rather, it smells like something magical that might have been cooked up in Willy Wonka’s factory.
    It dries down to something more powdery with hints of ivy, which brings me this image of a worn, well-loved babydoll in a dark, damp basement. Despite how odd this sounds, it actually smells amazing. All of these notes should evoke images of powdered wigs and corsets, but it doesn’t go there. Lolita maintains an air of innocence and mystery the whole time.
    The final stage is a very quiet and comforting vanilla-musk scent with something else that I can’t put my finger on. It takes a long time to get here and it’s so faint that I have to put my wrist directly against my nose to smell it, but it’s what makes this fragrance a complete work of art. In contrast to its loud beginning, the ending endows Lolita with a vulnerable characteristic that once again reminds me of Emily Strange who, despite being a rebellious, sharp-witted, and self-assured individual, is still a strange and lonely girl who will only reveal her soft, cuddly side if she lets you close enough.

22 September, 2012

Parfums Intimes: Cashmere by Victoria's Secret

I love wearing this perfume. I'm new to this whole world of fragrance and I've been on a quest to find my signature scent. Never would I have thought that I'd fall in love with this one. I'm attracted to sweet candy-like scents, but I have been trying to break away from those. This one is sweet but not in a mouth-watering candy or food way. It's also pretty linear in that the scent doesn't change much over the course of the day. For this reason, it's hard to tell if it has any lasting power because I can't smell it after a few hours but that could be because I get used to smelling it on me. I feel like this scent really encapsulates something about my personality but at first this made me feel too vulnerable to wear it out. I was looking for a fragrance that would project a strong, intelligent aura but this one makes me feel like an adorable kitten. While I was wearing it, I just wanted to sniff my wrists all the time and hug myself or give myself over to someone to hug me and snuggle with me. It immediately makes me feel relaxed and comforted. It's too bad they discontinued it because I'm already halfway through my sample. I'm hoping to find something similar, so if anyone knows of something, please share :)

12 September, 2012