Reviews by Jeszra

Jeszra's avatar
    Jeszra

Osmanthus Blossom by Jo Malone

This was light and refreshing, simple but very beautiful.This one is fairly straightforward so it would lend well to layering, but I enjoyed it quite a bit on its own. I may regret only buying a small bottle.

02 May, 2013

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Perhaps I'm not "cultured" enough to appreciate this, the beginning is fairly lovely jasmine and sweetness. On me it begins to dry down into a plasticy smell reminiscent of barbie dolls.

I suppose I'll stay on the hunt for a good dark jasmine and keep my freaky jasmines confined to jasmine et cigarette and white jasmine & mint.

18 March, 2013

Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford

To me, this perfume smells the most like standing next to a Jasmine bush. It has a nice balance of melodious floral with a bit of greenery and earthiness that grounds it. The reason I gave it 4/5 was that it doesn't seem to evolve or change much on my skin. While I'm going about my day I'll sometimes get a punch of the scent (yay florida humidity).

18 March, 2013

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

When pressing my nose down to my arm to take a deep breath of this fragrance I can almost feel the smoke rolling in the back of my throat. The jasmine and apricot manage to take cigarette smoke and turn it into something beautiful. It becomes perhaps a little to sweet at points and I tend to prefer my tobacco in the cherry pipe tobacco arena like Tobacco Vanille. It's an interesting and beautiful fragrance but not something I'd buy in a full bottle unless I picked up smoking.

edit: changed my mind. It's a freak and I like it. It wouldn't be my first choice for a jasmine but I might still end up getting a full bottle of this down the road or at least a good sized sample to use occasionally.

17 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2013)

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

I haven't been able to try the original Shalimar, just this and the new edt. This has a strong opening that sent hubby reeling, oops. The middle reminded me strongly of flowerbomb, but with a much deeper/smokier base behind it. I like flowerbomb but don't like being hit about the head and neck area with bergamot, so this is a welcome find for me as it smells more well rounded.

27 October, 2012

Alien by Thierry Mugler

On paper it was a lovely jasmine opening with the rest being jasmine behind a candy haze. On my skin it's mostly just the candy haze.

24 October, 2012

Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga

Incense and so syrupy sweet I can't really detect any flower.

13 October, 2012

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Liked this perfume on paper but not as much on my skin. It's a little powdery. Perhaps that's the tonka bean?

10th October, 2012

Valentina Assoluto by Valentino

I liked the scent of this but the fiance told me I smelled like his grandmother's bathroom. It also had pretty poor longevity. Marc Jacob's Dot and Flowerbomb lasted much longer and stronger on me than this did.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Bubbly grapefruit, light, barely there white flowers, poor longevity. No thanks.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Wouldn't necessarily buy a whole bottle of this, but I do like apple. I don't get much citrus in this except for general lightness, just apple, apple & musk, then apple & flowers with a hint of wood.

Dot by Marc Jacobs

It's pretty inoffensive and something that can be worn every day at a reasonable price tag. I prefer darker scents and this is definitely noon on a summer day, very bright. But it can be a bit heavy wearing a dark scent every day and something fresh/bright to change it up isn't bad.

It's not my favorite scent ever but I ended up buying it because the husband likes it more than the others I've tried.

The longevity is fairly poor though, probably lasts a noticeable 3 hours.

03 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 March, 2013)

The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

I received a sample of this and gave it to my fiance to try. I loved it on him and wanted to attack him whenever he wore it. I tried smelling a bunch of other dept. store men's fragrances and didn't like anything else as much as this so I bought him the Holiday set (large and small bottle for $85).

I don't agree with the reviews of poor sillage on this. He puts one spray on his chest in the morning and it's pretty strong when I'm close to him during the day. But when we lay down at night I love to bury my face in his chest and smell him. By then the scent is softer and a nice spicy woodsy with some roundness from the patchouli and musk. I'm not particularly a fan of other aquatics but I do like it in this blend.

Secret Wonderland by Bath and Body Works

I originally bought this because I liked the musky, amber scent of the body spray. The perfume is not as dark and musky but a very fruity gardenia and jasmine. Both the body spray and the perfume are too fruity. They also last about an hour.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

It started out lemon rounded by floral with a hint of powdery on me. I dislike powder so I was a bit concerned but it was balanced. It's now dried down to a lovely oakmoss with a background of sandalwood and still a hint of violet at the end.

It is very clean, soapy and fresh but a little deeper and green due to the oakmoss. Inoffensive and conservative, but not necessarily something I would wear every day.