Reviews by Nosebud

Nosebud's avatar
    Nosebud

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

A gourmand flanker that has potential.

Chocolate, vanilla, patchouli, and cherry tobacco.

To me, the cherry comes off as cough syrup in conjunctio with the cloying vanilla and synthetic chocolate.

This fragrance settles down and is nice in the dry down, but I grow impatient in the first hour.

20th January, 2013

M by Puredistance

M opens with a balanced blend of astringent and warm wood. Cedar and balsam, I think. This is an odd yet welcome top to me. Hours later I get some cinnamon and vanilla starting to creep in. Hours still incense settles into the mix and you are surrounded by this forever. Puredistance, indeed. I sprayed this on 18 hours ago and have not experienced olfactory fatigue. It seems to be projecting still as well, as a coworker at greater than arms length complimented me on it. As a side note, I have received four compliments throughout the day, and I don't fish. I normally will only receive 1 or 2 a month.

14 December, 2012

Mercedes-Benz by Mercede-Benz

At first spray I got a whiff of leather, but it quickly turns into a super-citrus with a touch of galbanum. An hour later the cedar is starting to peak through.

I don't know if there really is a leather, an accord that made me think of leather, or wishful thinking due to the car, but I get a little bit of a new-car leather smell in there.

If the citrus dies down ever and there is more pronounced leather base, I will update this review...

16 November, 2012

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

The powdery opening screamed "old man" at me and I was scared. However, the old guy showed me patience is a virtue and hours later I am enjoying a nice oakmoss and sandalwood base. Dirt cheap, trying this frag out will probably deposit change into your pocket, that's how cheap it is.
    I don't know what else to say about it. I am pretty neutral on this one.

12 November, 2012

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

Less citrus than Le Nil, the fruit in Le Toit is sweet, with very light floral notes. There is a tad of the earth spice notes common to the Un Jardin line. Others have described it better, but I'll try to give you reference if you are deciding between the rest of the Jardins: Le Toit is fruity, but less citrusy than Le Nil. Mousson and Meditterranee will have more earth, herb and spice.

11th November, 2012

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

As noted by others there is the fruit, melon opening with light floral notes. At the heart is an earth with herbs and spices. Relative to the rest of the Un Jardin line, Mousson is between Meditterranee and La Toit. It has more fruit than Mousson, but is less earthy; Conversely it has more earth but less fruit/ floral than Toit.
    Like all in the garden, warm weather and sunlight make this frag shine.

11th November, 2012

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

A clean smelling fougere, in the way soap scum is clean.
    I get the fresh green thing they were going for, but I can't get past the soapy smell. If I just catch a whiff I get the lavender herbal wood, but it soon is dominated by soap.

06 November, 2012

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

The first time you wear this your SO will think you have been cheating with a dominatrix.
    Lipstick and leather. I don't get good projection or sillage on this one, but I have only tried it this fall. Not offensive, not masculine, not interesting.

31st October, 2012

Vetiver by Guerlain

Guerlain Vetiver is like that movie you loved as a kid. You have fond memories and can wax poetic about it; when you try it again after all those years, you realize it isn't up to par i today's world. At least that is my explanation for why so many BNers have rated this positively. I did NOT experience this frag in the sixties, and so do not have any biased nostalgia to it.
    I bought this as a blind buy due to so many rave reviews, and because I like vetiver (or thought I did.)
    Guerlain Vetiver is meant for someone who was thirty in 1961. Yes, that would mean it is outdated for anybody under 81! It screams "old man" to me, and I generally like "mature" fragrances. My wife cannot stand this on me, and I don't think it is great on me. I have tried and tried to like this. At first I thought a cool day playing sports outside would make this shine, but there are too many other frags that pull it off better.
    This Vetiver is trying to be fresh with both citrus AND powdery notes, and it just comes off synthetic and stuffy.
    My final test before writing this review was to do a wrist-to-wrist with Vetiver EO. I am glad I did, because I have reaffirmed my opinion that I DO in fact love vetiver; I just love the deep, dark, earthy and woodsy scent that vetiver should be, not this bug juice.

30th October, 2012

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

Seeing as how this juice is about $10/ounce, its pretty darn good. Mambo reminds me of TdH because of the orange/amber/musk notes in it; sure, Mambo is spicier and doesn't have as much orange zest, but it reminds me of it just the same.

Mambo opens with some lime and spice and a hint of verbena, and is a punch in the nose initially, but settles down. It becomes a musky wood on the dry down with a ( cinnamon, cumin, and maybe coriander (but that last might be the lime fooling me.)

All-in-all, a great frag to wear on warm evenings (or to feel warm) after the initial blast if you are strapped. Thumbs up for value, maybe a neutral if it was twice the price.

30th October, 2012

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Body Kouros starts off with a muted eucalyptus blended with a deeper, muskier scent (the notes say incense.) Behind the eucalyptus is the vanilla that just won't fade. Seriously, in cold weather and after 10 hours, I can still smell this frag. Pretty good projection. As this scent is growing on me, I might order a small bottle. Not fbw imo, so neutral it is

24 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

A fall scent. Some cinnamon apple with a white musk underneath. I get the same base from JPG Le Male. Longevity is okay, but on me the projection is only okay. I own a sample.
    It's kinda nice, but I would never buy a bottle.

21st October, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This is not a unisex fragrance. This is leather. I should have guessed by the name, but I expected there to be more than just... leather; I don't know why I thought there would be.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

GRAPEFRUIT! Grapefruit upfront and center. This is a nice, clean-smelling citrus fragrance. It is great for sunny days outside, or brightening up an office.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

My wife and I are both wearing this fragrance. Aptly named! There are aquatic notes, and a soapy background. What comes through though, is the the garden. If you have ever grown a garden with tomatoes and herbs, you know how this smells already. A mouth-watering combo of earth, herbs, spices, and dark green for the chef in you.

Windsor by Creed

A cashmere sheet made of gold. It is a little shy on projection, but that's okay because this is a snuggle scent anyways. A beautiful amber musk is the heart of this fragrance. The SA said the top note was "fake grapefruit," as in there is a ton of stuff to make you think grapefruit; I got some melon, some tangerine, maybe bergamot. Again though, is it worth the price Creed demands? A thumbs up because I would wear this a lot if I had a bottle, but almost a neutral because I would not pay the asking price for it.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

A scent for an accomplished, interesting man (from 1988.) It is a mature fragrance. You get that lavender/cedar thing with a bunch more going on, but it has been done before. It is a more intense version of fairly common pairing, but it has been balanced and done well by Creed. I like it, but will not pay that price.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

If you are drawn to pipe tobacco, want to smell it all day, but don't want to smoke? If yes, then this is amazing. It reminds me of Yukon Gold pipe tobacco (vanilla flavored.) Super sexy scent that everyone I know that has experienced has loved.

Acqua Fiorentina by Creed

A citrus fruity-floral that is beautiful. It comes off as a nicely transparent feminine scent that can be worn anytime. The citrus balances the fruit while the floral notes are not so overpowering as to be cloying. My wife could not get enough of Love in Black before trying this (I am not fond of the syrupy LiB, so was super excited she found this.)

Give this one a try ladies, and you will not be disappointed.

Vince Camuto for Men by Vince Camuto

Right away your nose is assaulted with just-tanned black leather (not the soft supple kind,) that has been seasoned liberally with black pepper. In the heart I can see a bit of the lavender and bergamot, and later there is patchouli. The problem is in the balance. Too much harsh leather. If you want to smell like a bikerthat wears aftershave but doesn't shave, this is your scent.

13 October, 2012

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Darn good juice. Tobacco, leather and spices. I envision the most interesting man in the world in a hot tub in Aspen surrounded by tan vixens. I feel like I should be smoking pheasant in a log cabin when I wear this, but could just as well be sipping champagne on a date outside in the chill air. The longevity is excellent. I still had this on my clothes 24 hours later. The projection is pretty darn good. Love it!

12 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

For me this was almost a neutral; let me explain. One of my coworkers wears this almost exclusively, and on him its smells great. On him the top and mid notes last the whole shift. A bit one-dimensional but all the women seem to love it and and I can't say it isn't pleasant (yes double negative but that is how people talk.)
    On me, this thing dries down in 15 minutes and is barely detectable as a skin cologne after an hour. Maybe his secret is 6 pumps but if that's the case then it isn't worth the price, even as it is.

12 October, 2012