Reviews by micci

micci's avatar
    micci
    Kenya Kenya

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I see the obvious temptation to compare Intense to l'eau d'issey but both have very different and unique identities...but still keeping true to Issey's craftsmanship and signature!
    Intense is bluntly masculine which I think is quite unlike Issey but yet a bold attempt...the upside to this is that the conservative folk will swim in this juice...it's safe and slightly pedestrian; the smell did not feel very entirely new...It triggered an olfactory cocktail memory of paco rabanne pour homme, l'eau d'issey, polo blue....The downside is that for someone who has used l'eau d'issey and is looking for something as unique or even more intriguing will find this sorta boring....
    It's a lovable fragrance nevertheless. And the bottle is really well themed to the actual smell of the fragrance...smokey dark incense...

15 April, 2010

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

We all make mistakes and this is a fine correction of the polo black blunder....
    Get a bottle but make sure its double black and enjoy!

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I'm a BIG fan of Ralph Lauren (Safari & Polo Blue) but wow can a perfume get worse reviews..? lol Anyway the outrage is truly deserved ,this perfume is an olfactory travesty...generic and unimaginative....the bottle is neat though!
    Try Polo double black or Black by Kenneth Cole for a refined touch of the 'black' concept.

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

I loooove the smell on this one....I know it's a pour femme but I would honestly wear this (probably coz the top notes remind me l'eau d'issey pour homme - a personal fav)
    The dry down is really elegant quite a contradiction to the perfume's overall demeanour i.e. tacky-ish package (some will opt to say playful) & then cheap & chic? Moschino ought to change the name of this product line to something more befitting ....first impressions are everything..

Give this one a try...it's really something.

See Cheap and Chic I Love Love notes compilation below:-

Top notes of orange, lemon, grapefruit, and red currant.
    Middle notes of rush, lilly of the valley, tea rose, and cinnamon leaves.
    Base notes of tanaka wood, musk, and cedar wood

What to say...I love love

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very potent ,longevity and silage is off the roof...
    Sheer Sensuality in a bottle!
    Go for it boys!

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

What can you give a man who has everything? Chanel's L'Égoïste pour homme!
    A timeless classic, the epitome of masculine elegance and class.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

Rich fragrance, I find this very original and its longevity?...oolala..
    An impeccable addition to the wardrobe...for the man who a taste for fine things in life.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Overly imitated BUT the true genuine article of its class...
    The mint is delightfully in this juice...a well done oriental.

No. 5 by Chanel

This is one definitely deserves a spot in the 'wonders of the world' line up.
    A heavenly classic...a perfumery legend.

Black by Kenneth Cole

A contemporary scent on this one. The notes are very well crafted which makes it fairly authentic. The dry down is is cosy (black suede? musk?)and slightly fresh (mint?)
    I highly recommend this.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

One of those fresh, safe frags...not very creative but I don't think it's too generic either as far as the 'aqua-blue' bit goes....There is something earthy about the dry down that sets it apart...
    It definitely tops it's league so go ahead and grab one for yourself.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

An Icon of pour homme frags and I have nothing but respect for this.
    Fresh,woody, pine(y),musky...very masculine.
    The composition might appear complex but the notes have been combined really well.
    Timeless!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is quite a temptation starting with the bottle design to the sheer controversy surrounding it. OK the civet is a bit of an issue but otherwise the dry down is worth the trouble!
    It's a magnificent woody classic and you should give it a try...An old school icon!

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This was a very interesting attempt by Michel Almairac to deviate from the norm at the time (late 80s) and I guess it did pay off eventually.
    Test this juice first it an be an olfactory overwhelm. It projects hard and can be cloying...does somehow and sad to say lack in character. I expected the frag to evolved into something cosier with the dry down...going by the notes that is, but the sweet/flowery sharpness dominates the frag too much....an imbalance in the various portions of ingredient used perharps?
    It is however a really strong frag that I admit.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Initial projection can be potent (blame the green botanics...?) so take care. The frag does evolve into a clean descent masculine frag....Quite strong on longevity it's good quality frag in my opinion...generic but ok....give it a try.

Cool Water by Davidoff

The undisputed pioneer of the fresh and kinda flowery pour hommes? Maybe.
    But make no mistake this is not your everyday aqua-marine though (the frag is slightly more complex) it's one of those safe frags you cannot go wrong with...you will smell good but loose out being authentic...but smell good...Your choice!

Chrome by Azzaro

This is definitely the darling of aquatics. If you are looking for a safe uncomplicated and absolutely fresh frag azzaro chrome will do it for you. I have a problem with longevity and silage on this one though...seems to wear off abit too soon for me...
    It's however a classic worth the attention of any perfume lover.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Azzaro is an old school heavy weight and probably a timeless classic.And true it's quite comparable to Polo, Paco Rabanne and maybe....Old Spice? LoL
    In a world full of cloying synthetics you could add this to your line up for the days you wanna stand out from the crowd.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Mama mia!! This is the hallmark of perfumery...gets an 11/10 from me.
    Elegant..Classy..Modern...this is pure perfection! It's worth the money.

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

It might probably won't rival its pour femme counterpart but I think its quite an olfactory delight....And yes I agree it might not go down the halls of history as one of the greats but its pretty good....slightly above average.

26 January, 2010

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I think this perfume is Mr. Hugo's main Achilles heel as far as authenticity and general fragrance design goes.
    I would have given this perfume a thumbs down, it deserves one anyway BUT because of the respect I have for Mr. Hugo for his other Great works with my favorites Boss Bottled and Hugo Woman I will give it a neutral....!!!!
    I love the bottle though....quite original, I only wish I could say the same for the fragrance inside it.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

What caught my attention with this fragrance is the bottle ,very lovely presentation; I would say it's elegantly bohemian !!
    Now to the smell. My first impression was a cloying characteristic but its settles well to a slight musky/smokey scent. Its girly and flirty (even the packaging affirms this!) Definitely has a more youthful demeanor to it...!!

Hugo Woman by Hugo Boss

I bought Hugo Woman for my girlfriend because I knew she would love it....and she sure did (You can never go wrong with this fragrance...)!

It's fresh,crisp and elegant with amazing longevity.
    Its structure is as follows,
    Scent Type: Oriental - Fruity
    Top Notes: Green apple, cantaloupe, water lily
    Heart Notes: Florals, nectarine, peach, berry
    Base Notes: Siamwood, sandalwood, amber

It's a pleasant deviation from the overly flowery women fragrances in the market today. There is NOTHING unisex about it. I know many women who would rather wear men fragrances due to the over powering floweriness in many of the women fragrances : Hugo Woman is your salvation for this problem!!!
    Hugo Woman commands presence and character....it's all about confidence!!
    Hugo has definitely taken women fragrances to another level with this unique perfume. Viva Hugo!!

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I was very impressed by Paco Rabanne Pour Home (See my review)......so when I spotted Black XS I decided to give it a try......Well I truly love the smell ;very creamy,a bit limy (opening notes) and rosy in a way thats fairly masculine. The only reason I will not give this perfume a thumbs up is due to its poor longevity; this I found to be Black XS' Achilles heel.... BUT otherwise the fragrance itself is delightful....really sexy and youthful.

04 April, 2008

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Well, I consider my self a very modest critique but to be blunt this juice was/is a disappointment. Despite its blatant and pedestrian aqua-centric design this perfume has poor longevity. Don't get me wrong Blue label is wearable and quite the "Aqua marine" though too generic ....comparable to the Bvlgaris (aqva & Blu etc) and Polo blues of this world......unauthentic & characterless....
    Its a good entry level perfume for an experimenting young chap though.

04 April, 2008

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss is probably the best of Hugo Boss.It is sweet but NOT cloying.Its really classy and masculine. Its quite a deviant from your everyday Hugo scents though somewhere in its brilliant sweet accords the Hugo boss signature stands but much more creatively. It reminds me of Hugo Boss Limited Edition that I used some time back (packed in a grey tin/metal casing).
    Go for it you wont regret it!!!!
    Viva Hugo!!!

26 November, 2007

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I want to open by saying that I love perfume;the olfactory attribute of all being is I believe the most fascinating and complex.
    L'Eau D'Issey is one of the most sophisticated EDTs I have come across in a while. Its Floral in a very masculine way (I don't know how Miyake pulled that on off...but he did !)It starts off strongly with the Yuzu and other fresh ingredients on the top notes. Its longevity is really interesting - When first applied L'Eau D'Issey's projection is very strong but as time passes by it mellows down and the base notes cling onto you very closely but still distinctly present to people around you ( I guess the Haitian Vetiver is to blame for that!) .The base notes can last on your skin for a good 16-24 hrs and on your clothes....forever in my observation.
    Its as though L'Eau D'Issey evolves into a more personal fragrance as the day goes by.This is the kind of perfume you at times want to wear when alone at home just that you don't share its wonderful fragrance with anyone.Its been around for a good 13 years now and grown quite common BUT is still a very very personal favorite.
    Viva Miyake...!!!

23 November, 2007

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Something about this reminds me about L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme especially the top notes.I love L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme and Estée Lauder too.

23 November, 2007 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2010)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is a classic.
    Quite soapish at first but transforms into a very warm homely scent after a short while -this can be attributed to the base notes.
    I was disappointed by the longevity;I'm more of a L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme ,RL Safari for men ,Dior's Fahrenheit etc strong fragrance kinda guy.
    The very first time I used it was kinda disappointed for a few days but really got to love the cologne by the time I was quarter way thru the bottle (100ml EDT).
    I would recommend this to anyone looking for something exquisite and simple at the same time.

17 November, 2007

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

My love affair with Safari for Men stated off when I was about 18. I'm now 26 and have tried just about everything in the market but always come back home to Safari.Its a classic and somewhat not annoyingly common like the Hugo Boss,CKs and Polos of this world. I have not found anything that quite smells like Safari.Its REALLY masculine and sophisticated with a very mature demeanor to it. <br>RL really nailed it with this one..........Viva Safari!!!

Oh...I can edit my review!!!....hmmmm.....I wish I could just add another on the same perfume?
    Anywho....I'm using Safari at the moment and I just have to say again that this perfume is really the one true exemplification of how a pour homme ought to smell. I'm really loving the dry down this time around......excellent projection.......longevity is great (I put it on at about 6am its still on my skin much later into the evening)...but you have got to go easy on application if you have bad sinuses.....the top notes can be a tad overwhelming.

14 November, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2008)