Reviews by enofile

Saint Julep by Imaginary Authors

Saint Julep is becoming my “go to” summer fragrance. Imaginary Authors creates scents that my chemistry absorbs with intent, letting the world know what fragrance I have on. My personality begs for perfumes that “herald.” Sillage is good, and Saint Julep has lasting power on my skin. The opening has a burnt sugar affect, but soon that morphs into a Bourbon/citrus blend, (Bourbon like Baker’s or Blanton’s, with more of a caramel taste) reminiscent of past summer days drinking Pimms; a self indulgent, absent “Tennessee Williams day,” trying to impress a young lady in a sundress and a floppy hat. I feel comfortable wearing Saint Julep, and it “works” on these hot, desert like days, in Utah.
30th August, 2018

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

This fragrance is reminiscent of such an innocent and elegant time in my life. Monsieur de Givenchy was my coming of age scent, before the social revolution of the late sixties, early seventies, changed all concepts of sophistication. I guess young people today may call it the “Mad Men” era, but to me it was just life growing up in New York City. A suit was a necessity going out in the city, and Pierre Cardin, Rogers Peet, and J. Press were my haberdashers. Picking up my girlfriend on 54th Street and drinking Whiskey Sours at The Top of The Sixes were accompanied by Monsieur de Givenchy, and although the new formula is a ghost of the class of the original scent, my memory can still revert back to my teens, and the hopes and dreams of the baby boomer generation. Who knew what social change lay ahead? History remains the past, but a fragrance can bring the past into the present. Monsieur de Givenchy is a scentimental journey back to thin silk ties, Weejen Cordovan penny loafers, cuffed pants, camel hair coats, and tab collars. Life was going to be grand.
16th August, 2018

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I purchased the current eau de toilette, and my expectations were reflective of the majority of the reviews. There was no funk, animalic, or sensual aspect to this fragrance. It smells like Talcum Powder and reminded me of the Johnsons and Johnson’s powder aroma in the locker room after the game. (without the funk) I am disappointed. Powder is not a good scent for an older dude.
14th August, 2018

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

I purchased this scent because I wanted an "all season"
fragrance which might evoke a different emotion as temperatures rose and fell. Certainly, in the store, Jubilation XXV was fascinating. Unfortunately, on me, this fragrance lasts about an hour, and the sillage forces me to stick my nose in the crux of my arm. I am disappointed.
25th April, 2017

Lyric Man by Amouage

This scent will always illicit an opinion, and that's great. I will not analyze the complexity of the rose. Nor, will I discuss the perfumery. Most of you have the expertise that I don't.

However, as for wearability, I will wade in. This is a wonderful perfume for women and handsome young men.
As an older gentleman, with looks more suited to boxing than modeling, Lyric Man is a bit too pretty and may come across as "posturing." I appreciate the artistry, but this is a niche perfume that definitely suits a certain niche.
26th March, 2017