Reviews by drussell41

Rare Teas Collection : Midnight Leaf Tea by Jo Malone

This is okay, but it's not black tea in comparison to things like CB I Hate Perfume Russian Caravan Tea or Masque Milano's Russian Tea. This Jo Malone fragrance reminds me of Micallef: it's like a generic Micallef. It's not bad, but it's not great, and it's definitely not black tea. If anything, it is a twist on vanilla with gaiac.
08th June, 2016

Rare Teas Collection : Darjeeling Tea by Jo Malone

Gorgeous, but seems more of a floral fragrance than a tea one. It's not overtly tea-like. There is a very slight fruitiness to it from the davana, which it said to smell like apricot.
07th June, 2016

Rare Teas Collection : Oolong Tea by Jo Malone

They have adulterated the tea scent with too many other notes. It's not that it isn't a pleasant fragrance; it's that the oolong tea note is lost. I have drank many cups of oolong teas, including many that were very floral, and this fragrance is much more blended perfume than tea. Notes: cocoa, tonka, hay and tobacco. In fact, it reminds me more of Volutes than any tea I've ever had.

07th June, 2016

Rare Teas Collection : Golden Needle Tea by Jo Malone

A deep tea fragrance that scews masculine for a few minutes in the topnotes but then becomes unisex. Recognizably smooth Yunnan tea, along with leather, sandalwood, benzoin and light spice. Very, very enjoyable.

White Fire by Tiziana Terenzi

Geting plays back and forth between jasmine and the fresh, oxygenated note; however, this really does not evoke snow for me. It's more what I would call "Jasmine in a Cold, Well-Aired Room".

Walking in the Air by CB I Hate Perfume

"Walking in Air"? More like "Rolling Around in Dirt in Frosty Weather". Ugh.

Rare Teas Collection : Silver Needle Tea by Jo Malone

ge: 56 & Over

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Other

Eyes: Brown

This is a light fragrance based on white "silver needle" tea. I've had this tea from Adagio, and it does smell like thea tea. The bergamot is just barely hinted at the very beginning, develops a little more and then recedes as the rose appears and a tea aspect returns to ground the fragrance.

This is not a scent for sillage. This is for the dog-days of summer, when you are not in an air-conditioned building. I could see this being stored in the fridge and used liberally for cooling down while enjoying the great fragrance.

This line costs $340 for 175 ml. Granted, that's a lot of fragrance for $340, but it isn't often we pleebs can come up with that kind of money. So yes, I'd buy I felt like I could spare that kind of money right then. Otherwise, no.
04th June, 2016

Jolie Fleur Rose by Tory Burch

Gorgeous, uncomplicated rose fragrance.
05th May, 2016

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique by Guerlain

I prefer this to Shalimar, the original. (I have only tried the current version, however, so I can't speak to the vintage.) When I tried the current Shalimar in a Guerlain boutique, it seemed so.....bland. It was nice enough, but nothing compelling. On the Mexique Shalimar, I get a much more exciting opening. The burst of lemon and bergamot is exquisite. Some reviews mention a touch of anise. It didn't register with me, only that the topnote of bergamot had to be the most exquisite burst of bergamot I've ever sampled (700 fragrances and counting), so I can easily believe there is much more going on in that opening than bergamot alone. The fragrance is beautiful enough in its heart, but dips unfortunately into a vat of powder for a while. It was too much powder. However, that was easily ignored and did not last forever. Once this thing turned to its basenotes, the overwhelming beauty was apparent again. It is so smooth and rich.
28th March, 2016

Lime by Demeter Fragrance Library

Great initial burst of lime and then.....mold. I have to wonder if this fragrance sample has turned.
27th March, 2016

One Night In Rio by A Lab on Fire

While the pineapple is a bit too much fruit for me in the topnotes, the magnolia heart is gorgeous and not something seen too often. Very nice, indeed. I probably will not purchase because if I'm going for a white floral, I tend to want something big, sultry and narcotic. However, if someone wants something that isn't quite All That, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one--as long as they wouldn't mind some juicy pineapple on top.
16th March, 2016

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Screechy synthetic; metallic. This is one of the few scrubbers for me. Gotta go. (Combo gag/cough)
15th March, 2016

Rockin' Rio by Escada

Spray some sticky papaya juice all over yourself--pin a couple mango slices into your hair--and save yourself $20. What a fruit bomb. It's not disgusting in itself, but as a fragrance.....ugh. And I'm not totally against fruity fragrances either. Sira des Indes is one of my favorites. It's more than just straight-up fruit, however.
15th March, 2016

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Nothing filthy to this, despite various reviews--either that or my skin just east skanky notes. It's a very good sweet musk scent with floral notes in it. It isn't as dark as SL's MKK, and it certainly doesn't have the skank level of vintage Bal a Versailles parfum. I could wear this anywhere.
06th March, 2016

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Touch of nice green notes in the opening, and peeks of melon towards the top, but overall a white floral fragrance. It's a mixture of ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. It doesn't have the oily tuberose present in Nuit de Tuberose. The orange blossom is full, but not particularly indolic; it's not the fresh orange blossom in Houbigant's fragrance. The ylang is present in a custard-y type of way. It's a beautiful blend, but I prefer fragrances that particularly focus on those individual scents versus presenting them together.
03rd March, 2016

Russian Tea by Masque

I wore this a second time and appreciate it quite a bit more. True, there is a large blast of mint in the opening. However, it's a nice enough mint and doesn't last forever. The tea scent is true enough, a little on the perfumed side. I like this well enough for a decant, but not a bottle. In comparison, CBIHP Russian tea opens with a lemon note and does not have the perfumed quality of the Masque. It is more true to real black tea.
28th February, 2016 (last edited: 29th March, 2016)

Midnight Star by Neil Morris Fragrances

This fragrance sparkles like the stars after which it is named. It did not smell like ironing to me at all nor did it give me a migraine, with which I am familiar, unfortunately. I will try to get back and update this review with impressions; at the moment just simply updating my wardrobe.

Dia Woman by Amouage

This fragrance has enough review that I don't need to add much except the following: the pre-reformulated EDT is an incredible fragrance that has a discernible, wonderful tarragon note that should be experienced by all who love that note (and aldehydes). That's all.

Rose Volupté by Sonoma Scent Studio

Gorgeous deep red, jammy rose. Great persistence. I really don't notice any aldehydes.

Les Nombres d'Or : Violette Fumée by Mona di Orio

This is such a perfect violet fragrance that I am not sure I need any other. It is perfection. There is a little fresh green in the topnotes; it goes by quickly. The violet is exquisite and lasts throughout. The smokiness keeps it from being too sweet and adds a certain wistfulness. I adore this one.

Milano Caffè by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

There's a little too much soil in the topnotes for me to fully appreciate this fragrance. It's fantastic in Hindu Kush; not so much when I'm thinking about having a cup of coffee. When those blow off, the fragrance is a good coffee one with pastry notes. It skewed masculine on me.

Week-End a Deauville by Nicolaï

Not only a scrubber, but a powerful allergen that lit up my wrist like a Christmas tree light. I am entering this review simply to warn others who have sensitivities. You might want to take a couple Benadryl an hour or so before trying this--just in case. I wish I had. (Note: over the 100's of fragrances I've sampled, this was the worst reaction to any yet.)

Iris Meadow by Aerin

This is a green floral. It's soapy for a little while after opening. Overall, it comes across as nondescript and could easily be the fragrance for a laundry product or air freshener. The green in it goes on *forever*; I guess the emphasis is on "Meadow".

Gardénia by Robert Piguet

This did not wear as well on me as it did the other reviewers. It seemed as much about lily as gardenia. When the florals faded, and I was left with cashmeran. I sampled this at a time when I sampled around 20 other gardenia fragrances in a one- or two-week period.

Sì by Giorgio Armani

Incredibly generic powder, vanilla and candy combo.

Explosions d’Emotions : Skin On Skin by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This seemed like a partial Dzing!, in that it contained its leather but not all the other fun little notes that within it. That was the first wearing. On the second test, it seemed perfume-y: nothing that I would remotely associate with a name like Skin on Skin.

Midnight Tryst by Neil Morris Fragrances

This is one of the best animalic fragrance beasts I have ever tried: it is right up there with SL's MKK. It has a wonderful cinnamon topnote in it. The whole thing is just full and lush. I consider whom I am going to encounter when I want to use this fragrance.

Les Elixirs Charnels - French Kiss by Guerlain

This was altogether too fruity and sweet for me. I wouldn't give this to anyone older than their mid teens. On another site's review, I had read that it was a makeup/lipstick type fragrance. There was a brief moment where violet and rose appeared; however, it did not include a waxy note and was gone too quickly. This should never be suggested as being akin to Malle's prereformulated Lipstick Rose.

Pois de Senteur by Corday

Incredible. The scent of sweet peas is woven throughout, but it's so much more than that, with honeyed darkness and sophistication to spare. Quite deep and beautiful. This review is for the urn perfume. Notes: sweet pea, rose, hyacinth, cyclamen, jasmine, lilac, lily of the valley, linden, hay, vanilla, cedar, sandalwood and musk
04th January, 2013

Tokyo Bloom by The Different Company

Very green on the opening, like a non-bitter galbanum. Eventually it went into some flora notes and then a drydown that was soft, warm and cuddly. What was really interesting about this was the effect of the topnotes on some nasal congestion. I was really having problems breathing, and this worked better than medication for enabling me to breath. I'm pretty surprised as fragrances usually have no effect or make it worse. I'll probably be buying a bottle just for medicinal use if nothing else.
16th December, 2012