Reviews by ynde

ynde's avatar
    ynde

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

This is really a very fresh and clean summer scent, mostly cucumber with a tiny hint of apple that becomes stronger as the fragrance progresses. Absolutely perfect for sticky hot summer days when you want a bit of a cool down, or if you're not really feeling up to wearing a perfume. Inoffensive, cooling, and just an all-round crowd pleaser, you can't really go wrong with this one =)

10th November, 2012

FCUK Friction Her by French Connection

YUM! I blind bought this today and am sooooo pleased that I did. Looking at the notes, I thought it might be just another vanilla-berry-woodsy smell with a hint of coconut, but I was so wrong! It's beautiful, creamy coconut with a hint of vanilla in the background, and they begin to slowly switch as the drydown comes in, ending with lovely warm vanilla with a hint of coconut. To be honest, on my skin, I don't get any of the other notes, so it kind of reminds me more of a body spray than a perfume. Still, this will definitely be making a frequent appearance over summer, especially teamed with coconut sunscreen.

10th November, 2012

Princess Night by Vera Wang

I adore this perfume! Looking at the bottle, I thought this would be really childish smelling, though it's really not! The sugar and vanilla keep it sweet and warm, whilst the hint of melon at the start also keep it fresh so it's not cloying or overpowering. Though it's designed for night time, I love wearing it during the cooler months when I'm at home the whole day or when I'm sick, when I want a bit of a guilty pleasure or a sweet treat. This will definitely be hard for me to replace!

07th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 08th November, 2012)

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

My mum has been wearing this ever since I was little, and I've always loved it on her. On other women that wear this, it seems strong and incredibly spicy, but on my mum there has always been a sweet undertone. She started wearing it when she turned 20, so for my 20th birthday she bought me a bottle too. I love it! It's a little bit of home whenever I'm away or feeling nostalgic. And luckily enough for me, it's quite sweet and warm on my skin too. My first 'classic' and truly 'grown up' perfume, and definitely more me than any other I've tried. I can see myself wearing this for the rest of my life - please don't ever discontinue, Estée Lauder!

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

I was not expecting to love this when someone recommended it to me as an autumn perfume, especially reading that it had spices and cocobolo in it. Boy was I wrong. This reminds me of being in a Middle Eastern style food market or bazaar, the mango keeps it slightly fruity so it's not overpoweringly woody, and the spices make it nice and warm at the same time. Dries down to a lovely soft woody smell that is still incredibly feminine and soft. Truly wonderful, especially for a cheap and cheerful bargain buy!

White Musk Libertine by Body Shop

This is a creamy, yummy dessert in a bottle. Starts off wonderfully musky but fresh, then settles into a sweet Turkish delight and honey smell that's slightly warm. Light enough for warm weather, comforting enough for cool weather, so an all round winner in my books! Definitely wasn't expecting something so fantastic for the price tag when I first tried this, but I have fallen totally in love with this. Perfect for days when you don't really feel like wearing perfume.

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

One of my absolute favourite perfumes of all time! First time I smelled this I thought it was too sweet, but now the weather is getting warmer, I decided to give it another go as everyone was saying it's designed more for summer. I adore this! I thought it might be too sweet but it's definitely not - it's light, fruity, sweet and quite refreshing, and one of the few perfumes I've ever gotten lots of positive comments on. Surprisingly, I find it can also be quite a mature scent instead of being too young and girly. My mum tried this on the other day, and on her it just smelled like a sweet second skin, absolutely gorgeous. Definitely recommend for an all-round crowd-pleaser.

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

I love this perfume! I had had a bad experience with Coco Mademoiselle (the Eau de Toilette), and after ditching it was looking for a new, versatile perfume that I could wear every day but also at night or on special occasions. My aunt who was visiting recommended this, and after smelling it once, I was hooked! It smells like a freshly cut bouquet of flowers, and is perfect for warmer months, as well as a bit of a walk down memory lane in the cooler months, particularly autumn. I can definitely understand why everybody says this is a 'bridal' perfume - it has that comforting smell that reminds me somewhat of a church decked out in flowers. For people looking for an inoffensive, sweet flowery scent, this is a great starter!

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

The line 'every woman wears it her way' is really true with this! I was looking around one day, when a sales assistant told me to try this. From first spray, I was in love. I've never smelled anything like this! In general, I'm not a fan of woody scents as they make me feel like I'm walking through a damp forest, but this is just beautiful. On me, it sits for a long time, is warm and sweet, and definitely will make you feel incredibly sophisticated. Perfect on cool days when it's slightly breezy, an incredibly feminine fragrance for something so woody!

Roberto Cavalli by Roberto Cavalli

This perfume is like sex in a bottle. Looking for a perfume to wear on date nights and on special occasions, I went straight to a sales assistant for advice. This was the first perfume she showed me, saying that they'd received it in that morning and that she guaranteed I wouldn't stop smelling my wrist. She was so right. There's something familiar about this scent I can't quite put my finger on, but I absolutely adore it. I wore it out for the first time the other night and got a million and one compliments from men and women of all ages asking me what on earth I was wearing because they thought it was divine. Definitely best kept for special occasions, to make the incredible nature of this perfume really stand out.

Pleasures Bloom by Estée Lauder

At my aunt's wedding in 2003, she gave my little sister and I a small vial of the most gorgeous smelling perfume. As an 11 year old, I'd never owned a perfume before, and was absolutely enthralled to have something so lovely and grown up. A few weeks ago, I was walking around the local shopping centre and decided to explore the Estée Lauder corner. On seeing a bottle of this, I was reminded of my little bottle at home (which is actually Pleasures Intense) and went in to smell it, full of hope - woah! This smells more like the little sample bottle of Pleasures Intense that I have and have fallen in love with than the actual large bottles of Pleasures Intense, which I cannot stand! I absolutely adore this perfume, it's so light and tender, sweet and spring-like, and reminds me of walking through fresh meadows when I go on holiday to Europe. I love using this when I need a pick-me-up on a slightly warm day, it always makes me want to hug someone =)

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Cheerful, flirty and fun. I fell in love with the bottle years ago but found it too expensive on a high school student's budget, so never got around to it. A few weeks ago I rediscovered it on sale and sprayed it on my wrist... instant love. Lovely and fresh and fruity at first with lemon and lime, then settles to a sweet caramel-toffee style apple which remains on me for quite a few hours. Has surprising sillage and longevity for an EDT. Great fun and wonderful for cool autumn days but also on slightly warm spring days.

Though some people have commented this is for teenagers, I disagree. Every person wears it differently - on my little sister who's 14, this smells overly sickly sweet and unsophisticated. On me, I get more of the warmth of the caramel and brightness of the citrus that smells fresh but comforting, and my sister thought we were honestly wearing different perfumes. I guess it's just a matter of testing it on your own skin before deciding to buy it or dismiss it.

Miss Dior Le Parfum by Christian Dior

When I first smelled this, I didn't like it. I was shopping with a friend from Mexico who is really keen on heavy winter scents, and at the time I only owned two light ones. She told me to smell this and I totally dismissed it. However, she sprayed some on her arm, and about 20 minutes later when we were leaving the store, I kept getting whiffs of a lovely honey, vanilla and amber smell from her that reminded me of sitting by a cosy fire in winter when it's snowing outside. I begged her to tell me what it was and was totally surprised when she told me. I was so in love with the drydown that I insisted we go back and I bought it there and then.

The first time I wore this, I regretted it. However, by the time I got to the drydown again, I was in love. I found it to be like a 'young daughter' version to my mum's Estée Lauder Youth Dew. Whenever I feel like a cuddle or some warmth in winter, I apply this straight away. Creamy and yummy, I will never tire of this! So glad I've grown to appreciate it. If you try this and dislike it at first, please don't dismiss it straight away! Keep trying, it definitely grows on you.

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

don't know why, but when I first smelled this, the first thing that came to mind was apricot, followed by maybe a sweet orange, but somehow darker. Seeing that neither of those were in there, and I was just smelling the plum and sour cherry really surprised me.

That being said though, I love this! I was really considering buying all 4 of the Fantasy collection, but found that I had everything I needed in Midnight Fantasy and the original - whilst the original is sugary sweet and cupcakey, I love Midnight Fantasy because it's kind of tart, but also warm fruity at the same time, so I feel like I have every food-style base covered!

As it begins to dry down, I think (sorry I'm not very good at distinguishing notes yet!) I also begin to smell the orchid, because there's a real familiarity between this and the original Fantasy, so you can definitely tell that they're kind of 'sisters.'

Overall, this is a sweet, fresh perfume that I could see myself wearing all year around for a bit of fun, just like the original.

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Every time I smell this, it smells different to what I originally smelled! I bought this while rushing around the shopping centre, as I was looking for a beachy style scent to take with me to Thailand in the summer and that would fit well with my coconut sunscreen. After trying pretty much everything with the word 'summer' or 'fraiche' in it, I thought I was stuck with something floral (sigh) yet again. However, the sales woman showed me this on sale for AU $30 for 100ml, and I knew I'd found what I'd been searching for.

This is definitely a fresh scent - the first time I smelled it, I smelled mint (???) and a bit of soap. Quite nice. I sprayed it on my skin. I got something slightly fruity but still fresh and soapy, and the drydown was a lovely light coconut. Went home and sprayed it over my sunscreen - BEST combination. The coconut scent in the sunscreen stays for about 2 hours, and fits sooo nicely with the minty, soapy, fruity smells in the top, and by the time the sunscreen's fragrance begins to fade, the perfume has settled into a lovely fresh but warm smell that reminds me of sunbaked sand. Great staying power, and the changes in scent and drydown just keep me guessing. Please, don't discontinue this again now that I've finally discovered it!

Love, Chloé by Chloé

Tried this today for the first time and it's absolutely divine on my skin, so although I'd vowed that I wouldn't buy any more perfumes because they all resemble one I already have, I HAD to buy this. It slightly resembles my bottle of Guerlain Insolence, but only so far as the powdery notes and a hint of iris. Otherwise, this is creamy and delicious, very feminine and quite romantic and daydreamy, whilst being sophisticated and sexy. I think it's absoloutely gorgeous overall.

I noticed a slight hint of something that reminds me of pear in it though, which fits it really nicely, but I'm not sure what note exactly is making me feel that. Oh well, in love with this, definitely a new favourite, and could quite possibly be my new signature!

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I smelled this for the first time today, feeling a bit wary as I've had a small bottle of Angel before that I received as a gift and absolutely loathed it. This is nothing like Angel on me - it's creamy, beautiful licorice, but very earthy and natural at the same time, and reminds me of yummy chocolate licorice balls that are eaten especially at Christmas time in Denmark.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

This was love at first smell. Testing out perfumes one day, I picked this up and sprayed it on my arm, put it down and moved on. When I got home, however, all I could smell was this lovely, delicate smell that makes me think that this would be the absolute defining smell of a 1920s style powder room. I don't get any of the synthetic/'nail polish remover' smells that a lot of other people seem to get on their skin - from start to finish it's sweet, flowery and powdery on me. This has become my signature fragrance that I wear whenever I don't feel like wearing anything else or just don't know what to wear. I definitely prefer it over the EDP for every day wear as well, which is just slightly too strong and overwhelming on me.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

One of the few perfumes I keep going back to
    When I was in high school, I got invited to go to a two week politics conference camp in the USA, which I was hugely excited about. As a gift, my grandmother bought me a bottle of this to take with me so I could feel more grown up, and I adored it. I wore it all the time, and even wore it a little when I came back. Unfortunately, somehow this disappeared and I forgot about it when we moved house, and I didn't give it a second thought.

When I started getting more into fragrance early this year, I went shopping one day in search of a clean, soapy fresh scent. Wandering around, I saw this and couldn't resist smelling it. Though I felt a bit silly at first smelling something I wore as a teenager, I feel like it smells differently on me now, so I think those who say it's for a specific age group are wrong - even my mum loves to wear this in hot 35+ degree Australian heat! The price is an absolute bargain too, usually on sale for about $29 for the 100ml bottle. Light and fun and feminine, great for hot summer days, and quite soapy clean. You can't go wrong with this!

Fantasy by Britney Spears

This is so girly, but I love it! I first got this about 5 years ago as a teenager, when I wanted to start buying my own perfumes and feeling more grown up. This was one of my first purchases and I adored it, but eventually forgot about it and the bottle disappeared.

A few months ago, an exchange student came to live with us from Mexico, and she always smelled delightful. I asked her what she was wearing, because it was so familiar, and it was Fantasy. Smelling it now reminds me of her and of when I was still at school, and it's a great fun perfume that I wear whenever I'm feeling lazy or girly or in the mood for something really sweet, mostly when I'm just sitting around at home.

On my skin, I don't really get any particular notes. I just get a creamy, slightly fruity but warm gourmand scent that's quite sweet, probably due to the white chocolate. The more I wear it, the more I can begin to make out hints of lychee or kiwi, but nothing distinctive. One of my aunts loves this too as her 'lazy day' perfume, and she's 35, so I don't really think this scent has an age. Instead, I think it's more about how you feel on the inside and what you want this perfume to make you feel.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I had the EDT version first, but the grapefruit was so strong on me that it began to smell sour and I couldn't stand it. I traded it with a friend for the EDP version, and I'm so glad I did! It reminds me of being in the Greek countryside, full of orange orchards. It's sweet and girly on me, which makes me feel youthful and can be worn casually, whilst simultaneously feeling like an incredibly classy and refined scent.

Chance Eau Fraîche by Chanel

I was so surprised how light smelling this was for a Chanel. Even as an Eau Fraîche, most of the Chanel perfume's I've tried have been quite heavy and more for autumn. This is a wonderful hot summer scent, especially if you live in incredibly hot regions, like Australia can get in summer. Fresh and light, very crisp and flirty fun. I prefer this over Estée Lauder's Pure white Linen Light Breeze, which, though I find them to be very similar, seems to be more for a woman in her late 20s to early 30s. I don't usually like assigning ages to perfumes, but this is definitely a sweeter style of summer perfume than the Estée Lauder. Great for people in their early 20s IMO!

Brit Sheer by Burberry

This perfume is quite simple, but lovely. When I first smelled it, it just smelled quite plain and airy, and I wasn't so convinced to get it. However, after a little while, the freshness of the fruits really came through. It's perfect for warm days in spring and summer like today because it's so light and pleasant, so it's great if you don't really feel like wearing perfume so much in humid climates. Settles to a light, sweet musk that's just beautiful.