Reviews by Valkyriespacegirl

Valkyriespacegirl's avatar
    Valkyriespacegirl

Snow by Demeter Fragrance Library

Fresh, aquatic and dull. Lasted all of two whole minutes. Reminiscent of C.B.I.H.P. Black March but nowhere near as good. Meh.

19 January, 2013

No. 5 by Chanel

I have to admit, I didn't want to love this one. My mother wears it and has for my entire life and at first spray I can't shake the sensation that any second she's going to catch me in her bathroom and usher me to the babysitter while she and my dad get ready for a night on the town. I wanted to casually try it and then move on, leaving No. 5 in the care of my mother and countless other ladies.

Yes, at first it is everything that I associate with my mother and perfume. That extravagant opulence of the 80's, the carefully constructed hair laden with hairspray, the tinge of something unnatural that may be a cigarette or perhaps a drink, the strong invasion of flowers too profuse to fit within a vessel. Then something very interesting happens, after an hour this sculpted Venus began to respond to my own chemistry and emerged as something I had not expected. No. 5 takes on a fresh and vital chracter on me with perdominant rose, a faint rich cream, and powder, but surprisingly vetiver has become the star. Wow, it is beautiful! Suddenly I begin to see how Coco herself, Marilyn Monroe, and my elegant-but-nononsense mother can all wear this sparkling, striking, masterpiece.

If you've never tried this for yourself for fear of smelling too much like someone else, you may want to consider giving No. 5 a test run. You may be amazed at what she has to say about you!

09 January, 2013

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Big Gardenia and jasmine opening. The dry down smells so much like my own natural scent, in the best way possible. It's a fresh natural musk under those beautiful flowers. There is a touch of lady like powder as well that makes this a crowd pleaser.

01st January, 2013

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Smells like excellent quality cocktail sauce with a gin martini on the side. Where's my shrimp?

31st December, 2012

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Wow. Too horrible to describe. It was on me for two whole overpowering minutes. The opening was bad, so bad I had to wash it off immediately. I can only describe it as sweet, it was really so strong my mind just shut off in horror.

28 December, 2012

Theorema by Fendi

Dry creamy gingerbread and mellowed candied ginger with something delicately sparkling and floral, like an orchid.
    In the dry down the incense emerges and it is truly beautiful, like the soft smell within a church when no one is there. There is no powder in this incense, just warm silky amber.

28 December, 2012

Giselle by Carla Fracci

Gorgeous scent of creamy Gardenias, Cinnamon Dolce, and slight Vanilla. Despite this description, it does not feel like a gourmand but rather like a warm floral. Very elegant and sexy.

27 December, 2012

Courtesan by Worth

I've been wearing this all day and it smells heavenly. It is not a gourmand, which is what I was expecting, but truly plays like an Oriental on my skin and the spices seem to come to the fore with a Chardonnay-like butteriness. That's the best way I can describe this, like a wine bouquet on the skin. I can totally imagine a Parisian Courtsan at the opera, with a wine glass in her hand and a lush corsage pinned to her dress smelling like this.

26 December, 2012

Les 4 Saisons - Hiver by Martine Micallef

Sparkling and bright, yet Earthy. Jasmine, Cedar and Sandalwood seem to dance with a well-blended melange of spices. This is such a cheery fragrance, like sitting beside a bright fire with a creamy hot chai.

23 December, 2012

Doblis (original) by Hermès

Leather certainly, polished wood, and a lovely old world rose. This scent is perfect from the moment it hits my skin to the dry down. There's a slight powdery quality too, but not in the foreground. Elegant, beautiful, refined, and reserved. This is kinda what I was expecting to get from Shalimar. When I smell this I feel like I'm at a very posh country club, relaxing in the lounge. Gorgeous and sexy!

22 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2012)

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

This is heaven in Winter. I get a delicate blend of pine, lemon, and cypress. The sensation of catching a whiff is like walking through an elegant well kept garden in Spain, Florida, or Italy in January. The lemons are ripe on the trees and the wind is rustling through the pines, firs and cypress. The air is moist with chill and the sun is warm.
    I do not detect any smoke at all. I do detect a bright resinous quality that may be the smokiness on someone else's skin. Amazing quality and more lasting than other Chanel fragrances.

16 December, 2012

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

Totally gorgeous. I am completely in love.
    This fragrance is reminiscent of fresh moist loam after a warm rain. It is bright and rich, without being overpowering. It is a beautiful combination of damp live wood, water lilies, rich dark earth, and some green floral that I can't quite place. It takes me back to playing in the garden when I was a child in South Florida, it is so alive and smells like primordial life!
    I don't care whether anyone else likes this, I just want it with me always. I have the water based scent. It makes an excellent base if you like to layer, especially with florals.

15 December, 2012

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I truly had hoped that somehow the sexy, slightly-dirty, warm scent that I associate with a natural Man Scent had somehow found it's way into a bottle. Perhaps that is exactly what this is, but I can't help but notice the addition of a somewhat bacterial addition that may say "poor hygiene" but doesn't say sexy, to me. Or perhaps all it is lacking is the pheromones.
    This smells like cat urine with a floral note on me. I put a tiny dab on my forearm, instantly took a shower in scalding hot water, scrubbed with scented body wash, applied different perfume on top of it, and still I'm plagued by this touch from the bog of eternal stench. Only now, it has ripened to reveal coppery, fresh-from-the-gym-man-underarm smell. With vetiver, but that may be the Florabotanica. Not the sexy man musk I was longing for.
    I did mange to neutralize the scent with Lolita Lempicka, Coral Flower, so I could get some sleep. The next morning I awoke and to my horror, Lolita had dissolved but Secretions was still there. We lived with each other for the next 9 hours, despite additional washing, and finally, with another shower, we seem to have parted ways.
    I am incredibly impressed by the sticking power of this scent! It has been an interesting day.

14 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 December, 2012)

Pure Vanilla by Lavanila

My favorite Vanilla fragrance so far. The sweetness of the vanilla is tempered by earthy patchouli. This smells exactly like the vanilla orchid flower. A wonderful find!

08 December, 2012

Déclaration by Cartier

Beautiful opening of cedar and spice... Transforms into citrus overlord, I get distinct Lime although that does show as one of the notes.

08 December, 2012

Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes by Etat Libre d'Orange

Although not my kind of scent for wearing anytime except to an outdoor party, this is a fun and incredibly well done fragrance. After an hour I began to get the vanilla and coconut, but it has predominantly been an experience of cilantro, spicy chilis, lime, and musk. I definitely passed one person who did not find it agreeable, lol, but for me it reminds me of the smell that lingers about me when I cook Thai food at home. The longevity has been excellent! Almost 3 hours and it still holds on strong! Beautiful and special, but not for every day.

07 December, 2012

Coco Noir by Chanel

This smells heavenly on me and delicately masculine. I have highly acidic pH, so perfumes can act strangely on me. The beginning was very reminiscent of Mlle, but that quickly transformed into the rich sandlewood and musk, the rose scent wafted along periodically. This is my new favorite from Chanel.

07 December, 2012

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

This is indeed a warm scent, and my favorite to wear in cooler months. My chemistry tends to swallow up perfumes and this one holds on with warm delicateness. It is a bit too strong to wear in hotter months though.

21st November, 2012