Reviews by rpopescu

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This would be good if it were less harsh and smelled less synthetic and chemical.
    It becomes acceptable on me after a couple of hours, and I start to like it a bit, but the base notes that (according to my nose) it shares with Green Irish Tweed make me dislike it overall.

24 November, 2012

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

My wife wears this; we picked it together.
    It's a fantastic smell - I love the mango and the very delicate, yet very complex base it stays atop of - this is not a plain "citrus smell", but a carefully orchestrated composition of great depth. I swear we can smell a hint of grilling meat on the barbecue in the first minutes somewhere in there.
    On her, sillage is moderate to close and it lasts over 12 hours.

24 November, 2012

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

During our lunch at Osteria Francescana (Modena) in October 2012 the drinks pairing included a fabulously aromatic and quite strong gentian root infusion, called "Genziana" and distilled by Giovanni Boroni from Borzago (Trentino, in the north of Italy), so I knew what to expect...
    This is a coincidence surely, but in fact the more I think of it the more I find resemblances between Massimo Bottura's highly poetic approach to food and Jean-Claude Ellena's creations.

This is a fantastic and unique smell, very dry when worn on its own. It is freshly torn green leafy stalks, a vegetal bitterness evocative of a misty morning walk on the gentle mountain side, biding one's time seeing, hearing and smelling everything around - for they are all so different and strangely indifferent to our presence there - just like this perfume.

I also love to blend it with Eau de Pamplemousse Rose or Concentré d'Orange Verte, which give a bit more warmth, sweetness and depth to the sternness of the gentian root.

This is a 10/10, there's no doubt about it. It is perfect on its own while being open to blending, and I couldn't ask for more.

21st November, 2012