Reviews by david black

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I felt pressured when I originally bought it and wasn't a big fan. Now, 6 years later, my taste has changed and I love it. Prada seems to always give Guerlain a run for its money when it comes to masculine powder scents.

As many others have mentioned, this one is packed full of soap and powder. It really smells like a bar of soap found in a hotel.

Longevity is great and the scent is completely linear. If you like it after the first spray, you'll be satisfied 8 hours later as well.

22nd September, 2017

Polo Supreme Oud by Ralph Lauren

Spicier oud scent with a cinnamon vibe. It can be found pretty cheap and my wife loves when I wear it.

My only complaint is that the longevity is pretty poor. In my experience, it has lasted 5 hours. It is safe to blind buy if you like M7.

19th September, 2017
05th August, 2017

The Dreamer by Versace

Smells terrible before drying. Once dry, it is a wonderful tobacco-ish scent.
01st August, 2017

Liberty by The Merchant of Venice

This may be the most beautiful leather accord I've ever smelled. It reminded me of some incredibly soft leather gloves I had years ago.

This smells awfully close to their Pure Leather perfume so you can save a few bucks by purchasing that one.

Do sample this one if you're a fan of leather scents.
08th June, 2017

Cuir Cannage by Christian Dior

Take a rich, smooth, handmade leather bag and then coat the inside with baby powder.

Longevity - 10
Scent - 6.5
Projection - 8
06th June, 2017

Byzantium Saffron by The Merchant of Venice

This is awesome. I got a sample when I visited their store and it's marvelous. I may splurge for a full bottom in the next few years.

There's a wonderful leather note throughout the duration of this scent. There is also a pleasant, dry, woody incense accord I can't get enough of.

8.5/10
22nd May, 2017

Green by Byredo

Smells like a brand new diaper. Not a bad scent, but not something I want to smell for very long.
14th April, 2017

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

I smelled this one before all of the other versions while at the Guerlain boutique in Epcot. I sprayed it on my shirt and left arm because I really enjoyed it on paper. After about an hour on a 91°F (~33°C) day I couldn't smell it anymore and thought it had become a skin scent, but I kept getting very pleasant whiffs of a citrus amaretto combo all day long. Due to how pleasing these whiffs were, I fell in love with the scent and ordered a bottle of it from fragrancenet. To my suprise, I had actually ordered the EDT and not the Cologne version. I figured it's no big deal and really enjoyed the EDT, but kept longing for beautiful citrus whiffs I remembered. Just recently, I finally found a tester of the Cologne version on fragrancenet and snagged it immediately. The EDT has a much stronger amaretto note and a very noticeable woody undertone. Also, the citrus is much weaker when compared to the Cologne. Both last about the same length of time, but the EDT becomes a skin scent much later than the EDC. You'll be pleased with the amaretto note in each, but if you prefer louder citrus, the Cologne version is for you.
23rd March, 2017

Replica At the Barber's by Martin Margiela

This is a good clean herbal scent. It really does remind me of the smell of my skin after shaving.

The first spray reminded me of the aroma of a glass of Sprite with a bit of basil floating in it. Lemon and lime aren't listed as notes so perhaps the basil has some citrus facets. The lavender is really light and stays very close to the skin.

Silage is great for the first half hour. After that, it becomes a skin scent (a rather strong skin scent). Longevity is about 5 hours.

Overall, I'd rate this a 6.5 out of 10. I wouldn't buy a full bottle, but would definitely snag a medium decant.
08th March, 2017

Love by By Kilian

I love to hate on ridiculously-priced fragrances, but this one is awesome. It smells like cupcakes with a hint of flowers. It's unisex, but much more on the feminine side than the masculine.

Longevity is at an all-time high for me. This one is up there in the 20 hour range. The projection is also extreme; this one is in the room-filling category.
03rd February, 2017

Nobil Homo : Dalmatian Sage by The Merchant of Venice

Starts off really great. Plenty of cedar and sage. There's a dumptruck load of 'dirty' vetiver that takes over after 5 minutes and stays until the fragrance is over.
02nd February, 2017 (last edited: 14th August, 2017)

Nobil Homo : Venetian Blue by The Merchant of Venice

Smells just like Aventus when first sprayed. After drying down, it's noticeably more birch-y than Aventus. Other than that, it's the same.
11th January, 2017

Museum Collection : Pure Leather by The Merchant of Venice

Of all the notes listed, here is what I smell: leather and a tiny, tiny bit of resinous incense. This thing is leather from start to finish. The leather smell is also a very accurate and pleasant one. Now I'll compare it to two other very similar, well known leather fragrances out there.

First, Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. Pure Leather is about an 80% match. The slightly sweet creaminess that TL has is not in PL. Second, Acqua di Parma's Leather. The very strong raspberry note from is absent here in PL. Otherwise they are identical.

The longevity of this one is fantastic. It easily lasts 12 hours from four sprays. Projection is really good and comes in waves. About halfway through the day I feel like it's projecting twice as strong as when first applied.

I bought my bottle at their shop in Venice and they sell them in their online shop too. I'm not certain where else they can be found.
30th December, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

This smells absolutely fantastic! The reason I'm giving it the thumbs down is because I couldn't smell it after 30 minutes. There's no way I'd pay 100 clams for a hoity toity room scent. I love AdP, but this won't be going into my collection.
29th December, 2016

Legend by Montblanc

This smells exactly like Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce, but softer. It's a tad sweet too.
28th December, 2016

Black Collection : Whiskey by Commodity

Smells great at the start, but dries down to something very similar to a Bounce dryer sheet. To be fair, the dryer sheet smell isn't bad, but it's definitely not whiskey like I was expecting. Longevity is terrible (about 20 minutes of a whiskey-like smell and two hours of fresh laundry).

26th December, 2016

Eau Sauvage Parfum (original) by Christian Dior

This stuff is great! I never bothered to try the EDT because I assumed it was an old man scent judging by the packaging. I can certainly say that I'm glad I picked up a sample at Sephora. This smells a lot like Guerlain's Vetiver mixed with a little bit of Habit Rouge. The vetiver note is a dirty, earthy, rooty one and the citrus is somewhat faint, but pleasant. There is definitely a medium strength powder note in here, which isn't my favorite, but not a dealbreaker.

TLDR
Mix Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge together and you'll know what Dior Eau Sauvage smells like.
22nd December, 2016

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

Kilian fragrances are always two things: hard to find and expensive. To my delight, the Saks by me now carries their line in-store and I got two samples. If no retailer near you carries Kilian, go to a Sephora and smell Rose by Elizabeth and James; Straight to Heaven is 80% identical.

To describe this smell, the word boozy must be used. It's incredibly boozy. I feel it's a bit overpowering at first, but that leads me into my biggest complaint - the longevity. I put two sprays on each wrist and it was unbearably potent for 2 hours. It is now 6 hours later and it's one small step above a skin scent. Projection is 11/10 for the first few hours.

Because I find this scent a little off putting, too strong and weak in the longevity category, I can only give it a neutral at best.
19th December, 2016

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Magnificent! This smells just like that first whiff of a freshly opened bag of peppered jerky. I mean that in a good way, too.

Longevity is poor, but some people may overlook that due to the uniqueness. I can't, so it's not full bottle worthy for me. It is a wonderful fragrance though.
17th December, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Ginepro di Sardegna / Juniper of Sardinia by Acqua di Parma

Perhaps Acqua di Parma's most boring fragrance. I only bought it because it smells absolutely fantastic when combined with the original Colonia. Two sprays of Colonia and one spray of this on each arm is the only way to improve Colonia.

Now, for my thoughts on Ginepro di Sardegna. By itself, I don't like it. It's really boring and not worth $100. There is a 'fizz' note I enjoy at the beginning, but that's about it. It dries down to slightly woody green scent. Longevity is about 7 hours max.
08th December, 2016

Noble Potion by The Merchant of Venice

I have a small sample of this I received when I visited their store in Venice. This one is really good. It's got a noticeable pencil shaving wood smell layered with a tiny bit of a dirty floral note. I enjoy this one, but would never recommend buying without trying it first. Longevity isn't very long from the sample; I get about 3 hours.
08th December, 2016

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

I received this as gift shortly after it came out. Back then I thought it was good, but didn't really care to wear it. Now that I really appreciate fragrances, I love it. It is extremely generic and 'designer', but very pleasing. The fragrance is quite sweet for being in the woody category. The subtle leather note is nice touch, too. Longevity is about 8 hours and extremely linear. Sillage is great for the first 4 hours.
07th December, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

Smells like a rootbeer float. It lasts as long as vintage Aventus (until you shower in other words).
06th December, 2016

Set Sail Martinique for Men by Tommy Bahama

Ultra generic and short lived. Set Sail St. Barts is the better version and lasts 10 hours. The lavender is nice in Martinique, but for a Tommy Bahama scent it is a bit powdery.
31st October, 2016 (last edited: 17th August, 2017)

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Smells very elegant. The dry wood notes mixed with lush, sweet tobacco are fantastic. Like most fragrances, I don't smell all the listed notes. What I do smell is a very sweet vanilla and tobacco blend. The tobacco note is so accurate that it does smell like an unsmoked cigar. I notice the tonka as well and finally, a woody note.

It's very lovely and projects 1 meter at all times. It also lasts 10 hours before starting to fade.

I've had a 4 mL sample vial for more than two years and still have half left. I've gotten at least 10 wearings if that helps you imagine/judge potency.

Overall rating is easily 8.5 out of 10. It's lovely and very fall-like, but not something I reach for often, which keeps me from purchasing a full bottle.
21st September, 2016

Aberdeen Lavender by Creed

Picked up a tester for $129 and was well worth it since my sample vial was nearly empty. I don't really smell lavender. It has a similar vibe to Tom Ford Noir EDP for men with less of a cocoa note.

This one lasts about 10 hours and projects quite well for the first 5 hours. It's not worth the retail price (what Creed is?), but very much worth $130

Don't buy without testing first. It's not for everyone and is very unisex.
18th September, 2016

Cool Water by Davidoff

Every fraghead needs to own this. It's a wonderful scent and yes, everyone knows what it is and smells like, but that doesn't make it bad. It's actually a top notch juice. It lasts all day and ages very well. I have two bottles that are 10 years old and still smell the way the did when they were new.
30th August, 2016

Tam Dao Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

Absolutely marvelous. It smells refined and elegant. There is indeed a sandalwood shaving smell and not much else. To my nose, the sandalwood is a very tiny bit on the green side and ultra creamy. Fortunately, the creaminess is exactly what I was looking for in my search for a sandalwood fragrance.

At first, I didn't think this lasted too long, but once after spraying before bed I was able to smell the fragrance after my shower the next morning. That's right, after my shower.

I have the .33oz spray vial of the eau de parfum version and plan on snagging a full bottle if this one runs out.

If you like sandalwood, this is a safe blind buy. There's no question that this deserves a thumbs up.

10/10 in all categories except projection which is on the low side.
16th August, 2016

New Look 1947 by Christian Dior

I'm a man and this may be my favorite of the privee line (perhaps a toss up with Mitzah). It's a very good creamy floral. I'd say it's about 60% creamy and 40% floral.

I get a feminine vibe whilst wearing it, but it's definitely a unisex perfume. If I could afford a full bottle, I'd buy two.
11th August, 2016