Reviews by david black

Aberdeen Lavander by Creed

Picked up a tester for $129 and was well worth it since my sample vial was nearly empty. I don't really smell lavender. It has a similar vibe to Tom Ford Noir EDP for men with less of a cocoa note.

This one lasts about 10 hours and projects quite well for the first 5 hours. It's not worth the retail price (what Creed is?), but very much worth $130

Don't buy without testing first. It's not for everyone and is very unisex.
18th September, 2016

Cool Water by Davidoff

Every fraghead needs to own this. It's a wonderful scent and yes, everyone knows what it is and smells like, but that doesn't make it bad. It's actually a top notch juice. It lasts all day and ages very well. I have two bottles that are 10 years old and still smell the way the did when they were new.
30th August, 2016

Tam Dao Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

Absolutely marvelous. It smells refined and elegant. There is indeed a sandalwood shaving smell and not much else. To my nose, the sandalwood is a very tiny bit on the green side and ultra creamy. Fortunately, the creaminess is exactly what I was looking for in my search for a sandalwood fragrance.

At first, I didn't think this lasted too long, but once after spraying before bed I was able to smell the fragrance after my shower the next morning. That's right, after my shower.

I have the .33oz spray vial of the eau de parfum version and plan on snagging a full bottle if this one runs out.

If you like sandalwood, this is a safe blind buy. There's no question that this deserves a thumbs up.

10/10 in all categories except projection which is on the low side.
16th August, 2016

New Look 1947 by Christian Dior

I'm a man and this may be my favorite of the privee line (perhaps a toss up with Mitzah). It's a very good creamy floral. I'd say it's about 60% creamy and 40% floral.

I get a feminine vibe whilst wearing it, but it's definitely a unisex perfume. If I could afford a full bottle, I'd buy two.
11th August, 2016

Leather Oud by Christian Dior

Dior Leather Oud is fantastic. The leather part is a dirtier leather than you'd find in TF Tuscan Leather or ADP Leather. It's definitely not the hyper-clean powdery version found in Dior's Cuir Cannage either.

At first, I thought this was an old-man fragrance. Now I thoroughly enjoy it from start to finish, which is a very long time I should add.

I'd say the only downside is being forced to buy a monstrous bottle. I'm sure a 1oz bottle would be quite affordable, but unfortunately they don't make one.

8/10 due to cost and the old-man style
11th August, 2016

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is a great scent. I got my bottle in 2010 or 2011 and it has absolutely no performance issues. I tried a friend's bottle first and woke up still able to smell it the next morning. When my bottle was gifted to me, the performance was identical! Perhaps I lucked out or my skin holds on to this scent for much longer. Either way, it is as good of a fragrance as it's made out to be.

Of all the notes listed, I think I smell violet and black tea. The others are most likely in there, but I can't pick them out.

09th August, 2016

Aoud Samarkand by Montale

Not a fan. The first spray is repulsive and stays that way for a few minutes. It gets much better when it's dry, but my complaints are:
No oud note present (why have oud in the title?)
An unpleasant note appears and lasts throughout the life of the fragrance (maybe citrus clashing with something else)

It's not worthy of a thumbs down, but not a thumbs up either. Don't blind buy this one.
03rd August, 2016

Eau de Néroli Doré by Hermès

Starts beautifully. It really smells like Colonia from Acqua di Parma for the first minute. After that, it dried to an absolutely horrible powder. All I smelled was powder + powder. Where did the pleasant citrus note go that was first there?

Acqua di Parma Colonia Club by Acqua di Parma

I love Acqua di Parma so much they may be my favorite house (currently own 7 of their scents). I was quite excited when I saw this at Saks because it was new to me at the time. Unfortunately for me this turned out to be a scrubber. This is the first scrubber from this house.

The notes look great:
Neroli
The usual AdP citrus blend
Ambergris
Vetiver

Here's what the notes actually are:
Citrus
A dry (possibly dirty) wood
Mint

As others have noted, you will feel the mint on your skin because it is quite chilly when applied. I must say I like the cooling sensation. I can't report on the longevity because I washed this one off after one hour.

In addition to not really enjoying the smell, I find the name and packaging a bit too mainstream. It appears as if Acqua di Parma is trying to attract 'regular' people with this one.

Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile by Acqua di Parma

This is a fantastic scent for a women. I'm shocked it's not getting more thumbs up. I really enjoy this one on the ol' lady and she does too. To my nose, it smells like legitimate roses and not synthetic. That's really good considering nobody actually uses real ingredients anyway.

When this is first sprayed, the room is filled with a sharp rose note and a small note of something woody. The woody note actually smells a bit like the oud note in AdP's Colonia Oud.

Acqua di Parma's Rosa Nobile is indeed great smelling. It's only downfall is its lasting power, which is between 3 and 4 hours.

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

This scent has the same effect on my mind as when I chew a piece of pink bubblegum. It really does hit me in the same way. It's a very pleasant experience.

Literally all I smell in this is an ambergris-like note. I don't smell the floral amber which is the officially listed note. It's quite similar to Orange Star by Tauer. If you subtracted all of the citrus notes from Orange Star, you'd have Ambre Narguile.

This one will easily last 10 hours and is very linear. The one and only downside to this one is price. $200+ is absolutely ridiculous and since this one isn't popular, it'll be very rare to find a discounted one.

Chergui by Serge Lutens

This is a pretty good sweet, powdery and somewhat masculine fragrance. If you've ever smelled Fleur du Male from JpG, then you've essentially smelled this one as well. The notes are different in each, but they smell alike after drying down.

Projection: 7
Longevity: 7
Overall: 8
04th July, 2016

Colonia Intensa Oud Concentrée / Colonia Oud Concentrée by Acqua di Parma

This is the most interesting oud fragrance I've ever smelled. It is very unique and lasts (no joke) 24 hours. It's quite expensive, but I got my 3.4 oz bottle for 170. There is no way I'd pay retail for this.
02nd July, 2016

Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells like a 90% match to Millesime Imperial on first spray. After drying, it is more figgy.
01st July, 2016

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

The original Colonia is one of my absolute favorite fragrances of all time. There is none better when it comes to a citrus cologne. With that being said, this Essenza version comes in a close second and resembles the great citrus found in the original, but with a very woody vibe. The most prominent notes I detect are neroli, lemon/grapefruit/orange and dry wood.

A common problem with most Acqua di Parma scents is their longevity. Colonia usually lasts about 3 hours before becoming a skin-only scent. This Essenza formula averages about 6 hours which isn't the best, but definitely an improvement.

TLDR

The citrus mixture found in here is about an 80% match to what's found in Colonia. There is a very noticeable neroli note in addition to the dry wood that isn't present in the original. Longevity is about 6 hours and projection is between 2 to 3 feet. My overall score for this would be an 8/10.
30th June, 2016

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Fantastic gourmand. I think it smells like gram crackers with some herbs. Price is the only thing keeping me from owning a bottle.
28th June, 2016

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Smells exactly like a dirty lawnmower. Lasts no more than 3 hours.
26th June, 2016

Héritage by Guerlain

This was my first full-bottle Guerlain purchase and I'm very pleased with the juice! From the first spray I smell lavender and citrus fruit. Once it begins to dry, the cedar + tonka + vanilla combo really starts to shine and steals the show. I love sweet scents and the tonka/vanilla base has just enough. The sweetness is more masculine than something like Original Santal from Creed, which is great, but in the hyper-sweet category. Heritage is more similar to the sweetness of YSL's M7.

I have the EDT (purchased in 2016) version of Heritage and my only gripe with it is longevity. I'd say my average lifespan is 6 hours before it becomes a skin scent. Projection is fantastic though! Easily about 4 feet. It won't overwhelm or offend.

I like to compare fragrances to food; this one makes me think of someone baking cupcakes with a cedar plank in their oven.

TLDR
Smell: tonka/vanilla + cedar
Life: 6 hours
Projection: 4 feet
Overall: 9/10 stars
10th June, 2016

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

This is a rather nice, safe scent. I'm really digging the herby, green vibe. I think that would be from the rosemary note. At first application, I was reminded of Himalaya by Creed. After drying though, the Himalaya vibe is gone. I'm not certain what else I'm smelling, but it is composed well. I'd buy this one if I found it for ~20 USD.
08th June, 2016

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I have an original sticker bottle from 2007 and the first reformulated version I received as a gift in 2009. To be clear, the original is the only one worth messing with and will be the main subject of this review.

I don't know if I smell all the notes listed in the pyramid, but here is what I do smell:

Lemon
Lavender
Tonka
Tobacco

This combo of ingredients is fantastic! The reformulated versions are missing the lavender + tonka/tobacco and that is not okay in my opinion. The scent lasts about 10 hours and gets better the longer it has been on your skin.
07th June, 2016

Aventus by Creed

I recently bought a 1oz bottle of Aventus batch 15X01 for 144 USD. This one is great for the pineapple lovers. I don't recognize all those fancy notes listed, but do recognize a pineapple one and something like a charred oak barrel.

The longevity is about 8 hours on this batch, but my sample dabbers from unknown batches all last 18+ hours and less juice goes a longer way from them.

Putting all the 'hype' aside, this one really is great. It isn't my favorite scent, but is near the top of my list. If you put this on, expect compliments throughout the day. It almost works the same way Axe works in the commercials.

UPDATE

Neutral rating at best due to the inconsistency. FFS Creed make it like you used to in 2012. Those batches lasted a full day and were noticeable the entire time. My bottle purchased in 2016 technically lasts 8 hours, but can't be smelled by the wearer after 30 minutes. And don't tell me it's olfactory fatigue because every time I use some from my vintage dabbers it is noticeable for the full day. My wife-to-be sprays the 2016 version on her and I can get faint whiffs of it when I see her again after work, but I really have to try to smell it. Also, taking the smoky note out of the new versions is the final nail in the Aventus coffin.
06th June, 2016 (last edited: 04th August, 2016)

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

When I smell this I think of spicy cucumbers if that makes sense. It literally smells like a cucumber with some sort of spice on top. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's good enough for a thumbs up either.
31st May, 2016

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I heard so many good things about this one and tried a spray from an EDT tester at Saks. I really liked that one so eventually I bought an EDP tester from fragrancenet. This was not my smartest move. To me, the EDT is much better smelling and longer lasting than the EDP. There is a harsh tar note when first applied. Eventually, it settles down to EDT-like vanilla powder, but without the decent projection. This one becomes a skin scent on me within two hours. I'm hoping the bottle gets better with age or once there is more air in it.
31st May, 2016

Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Smells just like Terre d'Hermes, but at a fraction of the cost.
30th May, 2016

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

I ordered this by accident thinking I was getting L'homme Ideal Cologne, but I'm really glad I got this one instead. The notes aren't really similar when comparing the two, but I get a hint of what I was looking for in the Cologne version. To be specific, that hint is the beautiful citrus blend and the creaminess of the amaretto.

For 34 USD (Fragrancenet), one can't go wrong with this. I see others calling it commercial, but in my opinion it's still much different than a designer fragrance. It deviates a bit from traditional Guerlain style because there's no powder, but still unique enough in it's own right.

I can't quite report on longevity, but projection is about a meter so this one is definitely safe for work. Right now, I'd give this one a 7/10.
28th May, 2016

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

New Haarlem smells like a plate of pancakes and syrup. I went through 3 sample vials before eventually pulling the trigger on the smaller bottle for 91 USD. I'm so happy I finally did! This scent is a must for people who love gourmand fragrances.

When dabbing from the sample vials, I was lucky to get 3 hours before it became a skin scent. I haven't been wearing the juice from my bottle long enough to report its longevity, but the 5 sprays I put on a few hours ago are much stronger than the dabs I've previously used. I feel like the projection is about 4 feet and the potency is better than the samplers.

TLDR; If you like the gourmand category and also like the smell of a syrup-y breakfast then this is right up your alley. Because this one is unique in my opinion, I'm giving it a 10/10.
26th May, 2016

Original Vetiver by Creed

I snagged a tester of this on fragrancenet for 85 bucks and I'm so happy I did. It's an elegant crisp, clean scent. I have a small sprayer of Guerlain's Vetiver and it smells dirty and putrid compared to this one.

I'm not certain what all I smell in this, but I do smell vetiver. It's more like a bunch of vetiver grass taking a shower and then was immediately bottled up for my enjoyment.

Longevity - 12 hours easy
Projection - 4 feet
Overall - 9/10
20th May, 2016

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I received two bottles as gifts from two different occasions. The bottle I'm reviewing is from 2008 if that makes a difference in formula.

To put it simply, I smell a very sweet rubbery note when first spraying. The sweet rubber note stays throughout the life of the fragrance, but later on think I'm picking up hints of tonka and vanilla. Those are the only notes I feel like I really smell and that's fine with me because this one is actually really good.

I usually get about 12-14 hours from 4 sprays and this one projects really well. I'd say the scent-radius is ~5 feet. Play Intense gets a definite thumbs up from me.
19th May, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Cedro di Taormina by Acqua di Parma

This is the first EDT in the Blu Mediterraneo line as far as I know. The citron in it is very noticeable when first sprayed, but does disappear within 30 minutes. That being said, the rest of the fragrance is really good. The cedarwood and pepper notes and very well-pronounced. They are actually all I smell after the drydown, which isn't a bad thing. I say that because I appreciate how this one goes down a different path than the standard Acqua Di Parma style of citrus + citrus.

I haven't made up my mind if this is worth a buy just yet. Once the citrus goes away, it smells like a slightly weaker Encre Noire by Lalique. I could buy three bottles of the Lalique for the price of one of these AdP. I do feel like it deserves a thumbs up though because it lasts longer than most others in the same line and the style is unique for the brand.
24th March, 2016

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

This is the best citrus scent I've ever smelled. It is the closest thing to actually cutting open the fruit and rubbing the juice on yourself. The first spray is a very well polished sparkling citrus zest. It only takes about five minutes for it to dry down into what you can expect to smell like for the next three hours. That leads me to my only complaint - the longevity of it is quite poor. Even though it doesn't last long, the fragrance is so great I'll continue to buy more bottles after each one empties out. Despite the poor length, I wouldn't feel right not giving it a 10/10. It is actually that good.
18th March, 2016