Reviews by david black

Viking by Creed

This is the definition of average.
26th April, 2018

Royal Mayfair by Creed

I hated this one at first. It smells like tar baking in the sun with some eucalyptus.

After wearing it for a few hours, it still smells like tar and eucalyptus, but now I enjoy it for some reason.

Don't blind buy.
16th April, 2018

Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura by Acqua di Parma

I used to think Colonia Club was the biggest let down from AdP, but now they have this aquatic bomb.
14th April, 2018

HiM by Hanae Mori

Xaterian Stormrage said it best, this smells like spicy chai tea with a sweet aroma from an apple pie. I think it smells best on a hot summer day.

08th April, 2018

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

This smells really good. I can barely stand the original one, but this version is quite pleasant.
20th March, 2018

Platinum Collection : Vetiver by Commodity

Reminds me of a summer sausage when first sprayed. It smells like a smoky vetiver once it's dry.

The sausage note was really off putting when I first noticed it, but after wearing it all day it turned out to be something I really like.

This one is barely a thumbs up in my opinion. It was just different enough to stand out from the highly-saturated vetiver market.
29th January, 2018

Island Life for Him by Tommy Bahama

Smells like Hollister Jake. It's a real compliment getter too.

It's so cheap, you can safely blind buy and not be out a lot of money if you don't like it.
15th January, 2018

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I felt pressured when I originally bought it and wasn't a big fan. Now, 6 years later, my taste has changed and I love it. Prada seems to always give Guerlain a run for its money when it comes to masculine powder scents.

As many others have mentioned, this one is packed full of soap and powder. It really smells like a bar of soap found in a hotel.

Longevity is great and the scent is completely linear. If you like it after the first spray, you'll be satisfied 8 hours later as well.

22nd September, 2017

Polo Supreme Oud by Ralph Lauren

Spicier oud scent with a cinnamon vibe. It can be found pretty cheap and my wife loves when I wear it.

My only complaint is that the longevity is pretty poor. In my experience, it has lasted 5 hours. It is safe to blind buy if you like M7.

19th September, 2017
05th August, 2017

The Dreamer by Versace

Smells terrible before drying. Once dry, it is a wonderful tobacco-ish scent.
01st August, 2017

Liberty by The Merchant of Venice

This may be the most beautiful leather accord I've ever smelled. It reminded me of some incredibly soft leather gloves I had years ago.

This smells awfully close to their Pure Leather perfume so you can save a few bucks by purchasing that one.

Do sample this one if you're a fan of leather scents.
08th June, 2017

Cuir Cannage by Christian Dior

Take a rich, smooth, handmade leather bag and then coat the inside with baby powder.

Longevity - 10
Scent - 6.5
Projection - 8
06th June, 2017

Byzantium Saffron by The Merchant of Venice

This is awesome. I got a sample when I visited their store and it's marvelous. I may splurge for a full bottle in the next few years.

There's a wonderful leather note throughout the life of this scent. There is also a pleasant, dry, woody incense I can't get enough of as well.

8.5/10
22nd May, 2017 (last edited: 15th January, 2018)

Green by Byredo

Smells like a brand new diaper. Not a bad scent, but not something I want to smell for very long.
14th April, 2017

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

I smelled this one before all of the other versions while at the Guerlain boutique in Epcot. I sprayed it on my shirt and left arm because I really enjoyed it on paper. After about an hour on a 91°F (~33°C) day I couldn't smell it anymore and thought it had become a skin scent, but I kept getting very pleasant whiffs of a citrus amaretto combo all day long. Due to how pleasing these whiffs were, I fell in love with the scent and ordered a bottle of it from fragrancenet. To my suprise, I had actually ordered the EDT and not the Cologne version. I figured it's no big deal and really enjoyed the EDT, but kept longing for beautiful citrus whiffs I remembered. Just recently, I finally found a tester of the Cologne version on fragrancenet and snagged it immediately. The EDT has a much stronger amaretto note and a very noticeable woody undertone. Also, the citrus is much weaker when compared to the Cologne. Both last about the same length of time, but the EDT becomes a skin scent much later than the EDC. You'll be pleased with the amaretto note in each, but if you prefer louder citrus, the Cologne version is for you.
23rd March, 2017

Replica At the Barber's by Martin Margiela

This is a good clean herbal scent. It really does remind me of the smell of my skin after shaving.

The first spray reminded me of the aroma of a glass of Sprite with a bit of basil floating in it. Lemon and lime aren't listed as notes so perhaps the basil has some citrus facets. The lavender is really light and stays very close to the skin.

Silage is great for the first half hour. After that, it becomes a skin scent (a rather strong skin scent). Longevity is about 5 hours.

Overall, I'd rate this a 6.5 out of 10. I wouldn't buy a full bottle, but would definitely snag a medium decant.
08th March, 2017

Love by By Kilian

I love to hate on ridiculously-priced fragrances, but this one is awesome. It smells like cupcakes with a hint of flowers. It's unisex, but much more on the feminine side than the masculine.

Longevity is at an all-time high for me. This one is up there in the 20 hour range. The projection is also extreme; this one is in the room-filling category.
03rd February, 2017

Nobil Homo : Dalmatian Sage by The Merchant of Venice

Starts off really great. Plenty of cedar and sage. There's a dumptruck load of 'dirty' vetiver that takes over after 5 minutes and stays until the fragrance is over.
02nd February, 2017 (last edited: 14th August, 2017)

Nobil Homo : Venetian Blue by The Merchant of Venice

Smells just like Aventus when first sprayed. After drying down, it's noticeably more birch-y than Aventus. Other than that, it's the same.
11th January, 2017

Museum Collection : Pure Leather by The Merchant of Venice

Of all the notes listed, here is what I smell: leather and a tiny, tiny bit of resinous incense. This thing is leather from start to finish. The leather smell is also a very accurate and pleasant one. Now I'll compare it to two other very similar, well known leather fragrances out there.

First, Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. Pure Leather is about an 80% match. The slightly sweet creaminess that TL has is not in PL. Second, Acqua di Parma's Leather. The very strong raspberry note from is absent here in PL. Otherwise they are identical.

The longevity of this one is fantastic. It easily lasts 12 hours from four sprays. Projection is really good and comes in waves. About halfway through the day I feel like it's projecting twice as strong as when first applied.

I bought my bottle at their shop in Venice and they sell them in their online shop too. I'm not certain where else they can be found.
30th December, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

This smells absolutely fantastic! The reason I'm giving it the thumbs down is because I couldn't smell it after 30 minutes. There's no way I'd pay 100 clams for a hoity toity room scent. I love AdP, but this won't be going into my collection.
29th December, 2016

Legend by Montblanc

This smells exactly like Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce, but softer. It's a tad sweet too.
28th December, 2016

Black Collection : Whiskey by Commodity

Smells great at the start, but dries down to something very similar to a Bounce dryer sheet. To be fair, the dryer sheet smell isn't bad, but it's definitely not whiskey like I was expecting. Longevity is terrible (about 20 minutes of a whiskey-like smell and two hours of fresh laundry).

26th December, 2016

Eau Sauvage Parfum (original) by Christian Dior

This stuff is great! I never bothered to try the EDT because I assumed it was an old man scent judging by the packaging. I can certainly say that I'm glad I picked up a sample at Sephora. This smells a lot like Guerlain's Vetiver mixed with a little bit of Habit Rouge. The vetiver note is a dirty, earthy, rooty one and the citrus is somewhat faint, but pleasant. There is definitely a medium strength powder note in here, which isn't my favorite, but not a dealbreaker.

TLDR
Mix Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge together and you'll know what Dior Eau Sauvage smells like.
22nd December, 2016

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

Kilian fragrances are always two things: hard to find and expensive. To my delight, the Saks by me now carries their line in-store and I got two samples. If no retailer near you carries Kilian, go to a Sephora and smell Rose by Elizabeth and James; Straight to Heaven is 80% identical.

To describe this smell, the word boozy must be used. It's incredibly boozy. I feel it's a bit overpowering at first, but that leads me into my biggest complaint - the longevity. I put two sprays on each wrist and it was unbearably potent for 2 hours. It is now 6 hours later and it's one small step above a skin scent. Projection is 11/10 for the first few hours.

Because I find this scent a little off putting, too strong and weak in the longevity category, I can only give it a neutral at best.
19th December, 2016

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Magnificent! This smells just like that first whiff of a freshly opened bag of peppered jerky. I mean that in a good way, too.

Longevity is poor, but some people may overlook that due to the uniqueness. I can't, so it's not full bottle worthy for me. It is a wonderful fragrance though.
17th December, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Ginepro di Sardegna / Juniper of Sardinia by Acqua di Parma

Perhaps Acqua di Parma's most boring fragrance. I only bought it because it smells absolutely fantastic when combined with the original Colonia. Two sprays of Colonia and one spray of this on each arm is the only way to improve Colonia.

Now, for my thoughts on Ginepro di Sardegna. By itself, I don't like it. It's really boring and not worth $100. There is a 'fizz' note I enjoy at the beginning, but that's about it. It dries down to slightly woody green scent. Longevity is about 7 hours max.
08th December, 2016

Noble Potion by The Merchant of Venice

I have a small sample of this I received when I visited their store in Venice. This one is really good. It's got a noticeable pencil shaving wood smell layered with a tiny bit of a dirty floral note. I enjoy this one, but would never recommend buying without trying it first. Longevity isn't very long from the sample; I get about 3 hours.
08th December, 2016

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

I received this as gift shortly after it came out. Back then I thought it was good, but didn't really care to wear it. Now that I really appreciate fragrances, I love it. It is extremely generic and 'designer', but very pleasing. The fragrance is quite sweet for being in the woody category. The subtle leather note is nice touch, too. Longevity is about 8 hours and extremely linear. Sillage is great for the first 4 hours.
07th December, 2016