Reviews by Mattybono

Mattybono's avatar
    Mattybono

Polo Red, White & Blue by Ralph Lauren

If you enjoy Polo Blue, this one should please you because it is essentially Blue with the addition of fresh cut apple. That said, if you already have plenty of Blue laying around, you might not need to rush out for this one. Nothing very groundbreaking here but a nice scent that stays pretty linear and is more of a daytime, casual use only for me. Not too much projection (maybe 1.5 feet at best) and longevity is about 5 hours on average. Pleasant, Good (7/10).

25th March, 2013

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

(2008 Version)
    DHS original formula is so good I can't believe I avoided it for so long! Perfect lemon fresh opening then comes a beautiful ginger with hint of cedar and powder in the dry down. I like the fact that there is really none of the iris/lipstick that so dominates Dior Homme and DH Intense. This is a cleaner, more masculine fragrance that garners lots of compliments but doesn't ever offend. Just so much more usable for me, great for any occasion, and lasts easily around 6-8 hours. (It really shouldn't even be called "sport" for that matter but I digress!)

While I am sorry that DHS was re-vamped in 2012, I (sort of) understand the reasons behind it and look forward to trying it out soon. Regardless though, the DHS (2008) deserves to be re-released at some point perhaps on its own as a "non-sport", new name/label or in limited-edition runs. (I would be first in line to buy some if they did!)
    Overall Rating: (Excellent) 9.5/10

13th March, 2013

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Allure Homme Sport is my favorite Chanel fragrance and one of my all-time top picks in any category! It provides a glorious blend of delicious citrus, wood & pepper that keeps its presence throughout while drying down with some tonka-vanilla-musk creaminess to boot.

Do not be fooled by the "Sport" in the name, this is a classy, high-quality EDT!
    With 3 sprays: Longevity is SUPERB at 8-10 hours. Projection is better than great for the first 3-4 hours and even at 8 hours, I have received compliments long after I thought I was merely in "skins-sent" mode!

In my opinion, this is a year-round, any time of day or night fragrance that is a perfect "signature-scent" for nearly any age and you can always trust that it will perform well for any occasion. I am extremely confident that I will always own a bottle (or two) of Allure Homme Sport and highly recommend it to anyone even remotely considering it!
    It is a must-buy and an absolute legend! (10 out of 10)

21st February, 2013

Prada Amber pour Homme Intense by Prada

Very classy, mature fragrance that works best in a formal or intimate evening setting. It is semi-appropriately named because it does hint to original Amber briefly at the open but soon becomes a totally-different, richer and more masculine scent.

I use 2 sprays max and the warmer it is the lighter on the trigger I go with this EDP (ie. less is more)... Excellent quality and utterly beautiful but with limited versatility. Still worth owning for sure! (7.5/10)

27th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2013)

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Bleu has a simple but handsome bottle (with a classy magnetic cap) and an excellent spray atomizer. The fragrance is very likable and is almost a hybrid of fresh scent and darker spice. (The top fresher citrus notes being the best part for me.) Sadly, as it dries down it loses power, sits close, and seems to almost go stale on my skin.

I get about 2-3 good hours of quality with great compliment-factor during that window...then for the rest of the time it just goes flat.
    Overall rating: 7/10

PS: I highly advise that you buy the smaller 1.7oz version because this fragrance tends to "evolve" a bit within the bottle over time bringing in more of the less-than-fresh incense notes that clutter up the top. (My bottle has been carefully stored during the year since I opened and I can really tell a difference.)

26th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2013)

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue is a wonderful, clean, crisp scent that is worth every penny! However....(and this is true for nearly all Ralph Lauren frags) the atomizers that come on these bottles are very sub-par sprayer's (wide, puffy, weak spray pattern) an therefore you're probably getting only half of the juice that you might think you are applying! This fact could lead one to assume that the product is weak or not performing well.

For a clean aquatic, I find this to last a good 6-7 hours on average which is very acceptable!

Can't go wrong with Blue, just make sure you apply it correctly and it just might be great for everyday use or even signature scent! (8/10)

21st January, 2013

Polo Blue Sport by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue Sport is absolutely wonderful because it smells so amazing and actually lasts over 6 hours on my skin! It is appropriately named for obvious reasons (smells a lot like Sport & Blue) but I think it pulls off the best of both worlds more convincingly and I hope Ralph Lauren will consider bringing this one back on a permanent basis!

20th January, 2013

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Polo Black is a very handsome, masculine fragrance that is perfect for the office or nights out. The mango opening is fresh and sweet and stays on throughout as the deeper spicy notes come in, meshed with a dash "Polo" signature muskiness. This is a solid choice and a good-buy because it is very dependable and non-offensive. I get great longevity 7-9 hours on average with 4 sprays. (8.5 out of 10)

12th January, 2013

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This is a true legend of a fragrance that is the benchmark for what all fresh-aquatic scents aspire to be yet there is still no substitute for Acqua Di Gio! It is simply AWESOME! Suitable for any age (teens to seniors), longevity is well over 6 hours, and projects very handsomely with many compliments.

I have worn ADG since the late 90's and I don't care or mind how popular it has become.....it's popular for a reason: it smells amazing, it is versatile as hell, and is pure quality in a bottle! The greatest Armani frag by far, ADG will always be in my collection!
    (10 out of 10)

11th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2013)

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

The top and mid notes are so well done and quite enjoyable! The dry-down gives me coffee and a sweet woodsy pipe-tobacco vibe. The base notes are harder for me to find because this version fades a bit prematurely and does not last as long as Polo Black on my skin which is disappointing (but hey maybe its called "double" because you need twice as much ;).... Overall, a great fragrance that can be worn year-round but if Ralph Lauren could extend the longevity a tad they would have an amazing must-buy fragrance that would be near perfection!

05th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 22nd January, 2013)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Wow!!! I cannot believe that THIS is getting so much love and hype!! After the skunky tar open its just too damn sweet, synthetic, and loud to be worn anywhere outside of a sweaty "mosh-pit"! (I seriously can't imagine anyone over the age of 25 wearing this!) Don't get me started on the gimmicky, refillable flask-packaging..... (But I definitely realize it certainly wasn't designed for a forty-something year old in an Armani suit sipping a martini... Which is more my speed!)
    Anyway, to each his own. Sorry kids, just not my cup of tea!

05th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2013)

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

While it hints at the original Declaration if you look for it in the background at the opening, d'Un Soir brings in (masculine) rose which scared me at first but totally works to achieve a more formal, dare I say, even classier, intimate fragrance that projects moderately and lasts for 10-12+ hours on my skin with (3) sprays.

The actual bottle looks just beautiful, the atomizer, like a Cartier watch, works great (and even has a elegant safety lever to prevent mis-fires) oh and did I mention, the juice is near perfection! This is Rose done right and an instant Classic as far as I'm concerned! Definitely a "BUY" or at the very least a "must-try"!

10/10 all the way with the only potential limitation being versatility: Although you can definitely wear this year-round and throughout the day, this scent was designed for the evening and works more suitably for romantic nights, formal events and very special occasions.

04th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 18th February, 2013)