Reviews by Skelly

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

I find the opening to be truly vile. Seriously. There's a passing whiff of vomit and blue cheese. Fortunately, it soon settles down to a surprisingly cooling and authentic rough leather, similar to a new pair of rigger work gloves. Nice.

04th September, 2014

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I quite liked it then I read this review:

Luca Turin : "Silver Mountain Water (Creed) ★ fresh metallic - An unpleasant, hissy-metallic “fresh” fragrance with a strange note of wood glue amid the din."

So in the interests of science I dug out a bottle of polyvinyl acetate from the garden shed, and I'm afraid to say that, yeah, it smells of glue. Shame, really.

31st August, 2014

Shooting Stars: Modoc by Xerjoff

When I was young I used to be given a mixture of full fat milk and fresh orange juice to drink (which isn't as revolting as it sounds, provided you drink it before it curdles) and the opening lactonic citrus chord reminded me of that. So... I could probably drink it, but wear it?
30th July, 2014

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I've ordered a larger sample...

I bought a small sample of this - along with a few others - from e-bay. On first application it smelt like a rancid, stale, beer soaked bar towel. But although all the others still have a fair amount left, this one's empty. I've ordered a larger sample...

15th July, 2013

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fabric conditioner and bathroom cleaner.

Fabric conditioner and bathroom cleaner. Come to think of it, there are cleaning products I actually prefer to this.

15th July, 2013

Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Horrible label, but who cares about that?

A side by side - well, wrist by wrist - comparison shows this to be drier, slightly less 'fruity' and a touch more synthetic than Terre d'Hermes, but on the whole I think I prefer the Yardley. The label is uninspiring, but that doesn't bother me, and for the price it's OK. Three stars. (it doesn't last)

12th July, 2013

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Fresh as a Fresh Cleaning Product

Reminds me of 'Flash with Febreze Freshness New Zealand Springs All-Purpose Cleaner' which is very nice as all purpose cleaners go, but I wouldn't want to wear the stuff.

Pros: It's fresh! Yes: F. R. E. S. H.
Cons:

03rd June, 2013

Dark Aoud by Montale

Montale's Dark Aoud. Worn by Barbary Corsairs after a hard day boarding galleons with knives clenched between their teeth. It's Bluebeard's signature fragrance, and Beelzebub uses it as air freshener.

You should buy a sample. Just because. I can't think of many occasions when I'd actually wear it, and it scares all the other little bottles. But I'm glad it's there. Just in case.

01st March, 2013