Reviews by Don Corleone

Joop! Homme Wild by Joop!

I own Original Joop, Joop Summer Ticket, and now Homme Wild. Summer Ticket definitely has the original Joop DNA, albeit with some new fruity notes replacing the cinnamon. However, Homme Wild doesn't share any similarities with Original Joop. As others have stated, its a warm, creamy, woodsy, boozy, sweet and sensual ride. I can't think of anything I have in my collection that smells like this one. I just purchased it recently, so haven't had a chance to wear it clubbing, but I imagine it will get some positive attention. Definitely for nights out.

18 January, 2014

Cerruti Image Harmony by Cerruti

Recently some bottles of this began showing up at nearby Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I picked one up and was pleasantly surprised. I immediately went back and purchased a second one. At $20 for a 100ml, it was a steal! It is very nice and fresh, the pear note intertwined with woods and a light musk drydown. Disappears a little too quick but at the price I paid, I can afford to apply a few more sprays. Its very light and not offensive in the least.

Eternity for Men Aqua by Calvin Klein

I agree with the Polo Blue comparisons, but hands down Eternity Aqua is better. To me it's fresher and more smooth. This fragrance doesn't get a lot of love, partly because they pinned the word "Aqua" at the end of a classic CK fragrance and put it out on the market to maximize sales. I went through an entire 50 ml. of this stuff last year and had nothing but positive attention from everyone who smelled it. Its versatile; I've worn it to work, and I've also gotten attention in the club from the ladies as well. Smells somewhat more mature than other aquatic-type fragrances. I picked up the 100 ml. gift set today for $40 usd, looking forward to wearing this again.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I like many of Annick Menardo's creations an own several, but I can't get past the powerful tire-shop smell of this one as it opens up. The drydown becomes more pleasant, smooth and Vanillic, but for me, the opening kills it. Reeking of a fresh Firestone tire doesn't appeal to me, even for a little while. I blind-bought a 1.3 oz. on close-out for about $15 and I actually consider it a blind-buy failure.

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

deserves a standing ovation based on value alone! I purchased blind for just over $20 for the 3.3. During my first full wearing I was getting flashbacks of numerous other fragrances, including Rochas Man, Xeryus Rouge, Le Male, and Lapidus Pour Lui. Not bad company to say the least. It has its own charm and character but contains a Le Male backbone, with gourmand elements like Rochas and a light Red-Berry fruity note reminiscent of Xeryus Rouge. It evolves from a sharp opening to a very nice drydown. This stuff could easily sell for $60-$80 for the large size and I wouldn't complain.

13 May, 2013

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Excellent scent, I wear it in all seasons. Starts out with very sharp citrus notes, then mellows into an aquatic musk. I get at least 6 hours of longevity with 3 sprays. Very versatile as it can be worn sparingly to work (especially if you work in an enclosed office), or let it loose out on the town at night. In my experience it's universally loved by women and I've been told I smell "sexy" on more than one occasion while wearing it. It's one of my best attention-getters aside from Platinum Egoiste.

06 May, 2013

Marc Ecko Blue by Marc Ecko

Found an open bottle of this today at Ross and took the opportunity to test it out with several sprays to the skin. Smells like it's somewhere in-between Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Versace Pour Homme. I detect a peppery note in there as well, but 3 hours later I'm having trouble detecting it on my forearm. It appears to be of decent quality, but if you own either of the two aforementioned fragrances, you definitely won't need this one, especially with the apparent lack of longevity. Might be worth a purchase if you can find it at a discounter for 10-20$ for 50ml.

06 May, 2013

Evolution by Rocawear

considering this can generally be had for rather low prices at discounters, and considering that its fairly well blended for a boozy/rum/gourmandish/woody formulation...

I'd say its worth the purchase.

Has a darkness to it that has it as a candidate for a replacement for scents like YSL La Nuit or Hanae Mori.

20th April, 2013

Citrus & Wood by Yardley

I don't see most of the notes listed in the pyramid, but what Citrus and Wood doesn't offer in quantity, it delivers in quality, even if it isn't quite my cup of tea.

I get a massive infusion of sharp orange and lemon notes, well done... followed by a quality woodsy note influx, including sandalwood, cedar, and vetiver (and lots of PINE!!!). Tonka and Vanilla? No way!

I found a couple 50ml bottles of this for 8$ and gifted one to my dad for his birthday, as well as keeping one for myself. He loves his Polo Green from the 70's but he needs to shake up his fragrance arsenal, and I figured this fine scent would suit him well.

20th April, 2013

Perry Ellis m by Perry Ellis

Anyone who likes Anise based sweet scents like Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin or sweet creamy vanilla-wood scents like Chanel Allure has to appreciate this one. M can be found very very cheap, and to my nose is just as good as the aforementioned duo. In fact I just saw it the other day at a duty-free store near the US-Mexico border for 18$ for a 3.4. As I recall, I found mine at Ross last year for 20$.

I never wear this stuff to work, its reserved for "evening use". Works great at the club with a heavier application (plenty of attention from the ladies, esp. the drydown), or a formal dinner with just a couple spritzes. Solid scent.

15 April, 2013

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

Its not terrible, but not as good as Rocawear's followup scents "X" and "Evolution". Definitely a generic citrus with minimal character, not very well blended either. Plenty of better citrus/musk offerings out there for you hard earned dollar.

Rocawear X by Rocawear

Just sprayed some on... starts off with a strong blast of freshness, slightly fruity with the tea and eucalyptus notes present. Drydown is even better, switching into a deep amber/musk mix. Generally easy to find at discounters like Marshalls for around $20 for a 3.4 oz. The blending may be just a tad rough early on, but the drydown is very good. Brushed metal rectangular bottle looks cool but is very large and bulky. Much, much better juice than 9IX in my opinion.

Ignition by Lomani

Looking at the fragrance pyramid, I'm not sure where they came up with all those notes, but this is definitely one quality cologne. If you like sweet, you will love this little gem. You hear most reviewers mentioning vanilla, and it's there, but I get more pineapple and tobacco than vanilla, maybe even a touch of anise. It's earned a special spot in my lineup for being so inexpensive (typically $15-$25 for a 3.3oz), which is that I only wear it out at night and to special events. Occasionally I even spray it with YSL L'Homme and that mix really kicks into overdrive. It's unlikely you will find a tester of this anywhere, but if you think a sweet, well blended mixture of tobacco, pineapple, and vanilla with a touch of anise might strike your fancy, go for it!

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

Odd looking bottle? Check. Awesome fragrance? Check! As others have mentioned, it has nothing in common with original CK one. Dark, rich oriental gourmand notes with a cherry/clementine undertone, could easily have come from an expensive design house. Last year there were a couple waves of 6.7 oz. bottles that flowed into TJ Maxx for $30 (in southern california), I picked up one blind at that price and was instantly pleased with my purchase. Projection and longevity are very good. I use it rather often and still have close to five ounces left. Crazy. Gets positive attention anywhere you go, though I mostly wear it for a night out on the town. Highly recommended if you like high quality sweet "dark" scents.

08 April, 2013

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

A high quality fragrance built for multiple uses. Only downside is that it's a bit sharp and "perfumey" at first spray, but definitely masculine with intriguing notes which include the famous watermelon note.

Women absolutely adore it and it though it's distinctive, always receives positive attention in any situation. A winner for sure.

12 March, 2013

Apparition Homme Intense by Ungaro

This is an interesting fragrance. I purchased a 3.3 oz. blind off Amazon for about 20$ and have worn it numerous times. I like the sharp opening and the sweet vanilla licorice drydown, but I wasn't too sure about it since I hadnt received a single compliment or question from others for quite awhile. I consider this a fragrance capable of multiple uses, but have never worn it to work, just for social events or going out at night.

Recently I've received several positive compliments and am giving it a fresh look, considering the other fragrances in my wardrobe I wear much more often.

12 March, 2013

360 Degrees Black For Men by Perry Ellis

I'd like to know who is doing the perfumery for Perry Ellis, because 360 white, black, red, reserve, "m", as well as numerous other fragrances are excellent. Don't listen to any naysaying about 360 black which claim it's a cheesy remake of La Nuit del'homme or Rochas Man. Not at all. It is in the same vein as those fragrances but very high quality and very distinctive in its own right. A gentleman posted that it's similar to 360 white but with tea/spice notes, and that is an excellent description. It certainly has serious gourmand attributes. I found mine at Ross for $12.99 for a 1.7. I've confidently worn it to work as well as a night out at the club. I can't say that about too many of my other fragrances.

21st February, 2013

TL pour Lui by Ted Lapidus

I never had the opportunity to sample Rochas Man Intense when it was still available, but I read that it was heavy on the Vanilla, and that's exactly what this is. No question, it's similar to Rochas Man, if you remove the Mocha/Chocolate notes and replace them with a bit of Orange, heavy Vanilla and a touch of Patchouli/Musk. Longevity and sillage are average, compliments are moderate. Maurice Roucel is a Master Perfumer no doubt, and I own Rochas, Pour Lui, and Nautica Voyage. Common thread between the three is that they are high quality, pleasant fragrances that are rather inexpensive. Can't beat that. If I had to choose, I'd pick Rochas over this one, but it is definitely worthy of a thumbs up.

21st February, 2013