Reviews by Kampus Kop

Lalique pour Homme Lion / Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

I don't like it, and I'll never buy it again.

The initial blast smells synthetic and chemical to me. Hard to describe but there is jasmine and lavender and a woody vibe going on. Fortunately it dries downs to a more tolerable scent as the vanilla takes over. It does come in a pretty bottle though.
18th November, 2016

Black is Black Sport for Men by Nuparfums

First of all, this is a really cheap fragrance for men. I think I paid something like $7.95 for a 3.4oz bottle from Marshall's.

It's not terrible. It comes on synthetic in the first few moments, but the dry down improves it. It is citrusy. I find it has an oily smell as well. It doesn't last very long on me, perhaps 2 or 3 or 4 hours at the most.

If you like citrusy scents and on a limited budget you can do worse.
31st January, 2016

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir White No. 1585 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

In my opinion, the best of the C. O. Bigelow Barber line of men's fragrances - and they are all pretty good. This is the one that is light and citrusy. Every time I wear this I get compliments. The main notes are bergemot, grapefruit and mandarin, and the citrus character is not overpowering and is toned down with something else ... perhaps agar wood or tonka bean? It's dry and sophisticated. Many will say it's merely inoffensive and rather generic, but to me it is reminiscent of classic historic Victorian gentleman's cologne like Guerlaine's Eau Imperiale or Herme's Eau d'Orange Verte.
29th December, 2014

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

I don't care for this. There is something cloying and disagreeable about it. On me the main components are sandalwood and leather. It reminds me of those cheaper colognes of the 1960's and 1970's like English leather.

This is not terrible, and I'm not throwing it out ... but I will never buy this again. It's cheap - you can buy 2.5 oz of this for $10 online. It's not too synthetic smelling but it tries to be "oriental" and smells like incense. If you like it, that's okay because it's just a matter of taste.
29th September, 2014

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

What do you get when you create a hybrid that is part spicy, part leather and wood, and part citrus? Tuscany! To my nose, the citrus is the weakest component - but there is a trace of lime and bergamot ... it's mostly about the bright spices and cinnamon mixed with masculine scents of old wood, mahogany, sandalwood, and old leather. I even detect a hint of pipe tobacco.It reminds me a little of Hermes Bel Ami. I picked up a 3.4 bottle at Ross for just under $25 and I consider this a great buy.
08th August, 2014

Cuba Prestige by Cuba Paris

Definitely a warm vanilla, coffee, amber, pipe tobacco scent with a hint of citrus. A bit too sweet for my taste ... but for the price (about $10 at Ross) it ain't bad. The ladies like it. Wear this at night.
17th July, 2014

Pure Nautica by Nautica

I can only agree what others have said about Pure Nautica. In color it is almost as transparent as clean water except a wee tinge of yellow, like taking a glass of water and adding a dash of a white Riesling wine to it. The smell is slightly aquatic and citrusy. It is fresh and inoffensive. It is no standout, but it isn't bad either. A good fragrance for the teenager or adult guy who is afraid of wearing any kind of scent and wants the safest and something that is light and pleasant. It is unobtrusive and conservative. More sophisticated gentlemen will dismiss this as totally bland and banal. I will not buy this ever again.
03rd July, 2014

Ecko by Marc Ecko by Marc Ecko

I like this one. It has a crisp, fresh scent with a slight spiciness to it. The "faint note of licorice" gives it a subtle complexity. The best part is that is does not smell synthetic, a problem with the less expensive fragrances (I picked up a bottle at Marshall's for under $20), and it was not too floral or feminine. However, the longevity is not great.
14th November, 2013 (last edited: 15th November, 2013)

Portfolio Green for Men by Perry Ellis

The scent is very "green" ... no wonder why "green" is in it's name and also the color of the bottle. This is the fragrance that is in my gym locker. It is refreshing after a workout and shower at the gym, without being too expensive or too pretentious. To me is smells of leaves, herbs, grass, a hint of lime and black pepper. A masculine scent, it is not complex or especially elegant but it's not expensive either. The longevity is only so-so.
14th November, 2013

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

This is one of my favorites ... and I really like it. Whether of not it suggests a Mediterranean garden or not is a matter of personal opinion, but to me there is a whiff of figs, citrus fruits, herbs and oleander flowers. I find it very subtle and elegant, complex and not at all synthetic or crass. It is not too floral for a man to wear - at least not one who is confident in his masculinity - and it is soft and refined. A gorgeous scent for morning, afternoon, or evening and one that compliments your best business suit, dress shirt and favorite necktie.
14th November, 2013

Adidas Intense Touch by Adidas

Mediocre and generic

Okay it's like this: I was in a sporting goods store and this stuff was on sale for $7.95 for 100ml. (The price tag says "Compare at $27!" yet I see you can buy it on line for under $10.)I'm a working class guy and not (always) a snob when it comes to men's fragrances so I said to myself "Heck, it has the Addidas name on it, so how bad can it be?"

It's inexpensive for a reason: it smells inexpensive. I don't know what it's trying to smell like ... I detect all kinds of stuff going on: musk, sandalwood, herbs, spices, a little bit of lime leaf, tonka bean - who knows. It comes off smelling generic, sorta like what the barber downtown would pat behind my ears when I was a kid.

I don't hate Adidas Intense Touch. There is nothing foul or gauche to despise. It really lacks sophistication. If you wanna pack a cheap cologne that isn't awful in your gym bag, this might do the trick.

Pros: Very inexpensive, not unpleasant
Cons: Unbalanced. Lacks character, elegance and refinement"

18th October, 2013

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

A classic

I love this one. It's one of my favorites. To me it's a Victorian classic ... complex and elegant. Of course it's citrusy, but the citrus is toned down by the lavender and something else that gives it a pleasing "dry" smell. What do I mean by "dry"? I dunno ... like the driest Brut Champagne. It is very old fashioned and reminds me of romantic days gone by. I only wish the longevity was a little longer.

04th October, 2013

Royall Mandarin by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Interesting and pleasant opening, but goes down hill from there

The first whiff is lovely and extremely pleasant. It evokes a citrus grove of oranges and limes in blossom.

The stuff dissipates and fades very quickly. An hour later, maybe two ... it's gone.

I disagree with those who say it is one dimensional. Not at all. It is unusual blend that is rather complex: predominantly mandarin oranges and lime (yes, the lime is quite pronounced!) there are hints of other citrusy things like blood orange, bergamot, and grapefruit; but as someone else noted it has a touch of spiciness as well. It is not too sweet.

It is ephemeral - it does not last. It fades into a soapy scent and then disappears completely. I will not be buying this in the future.

Pros: Very citrus and orangy
Cons: Short lived"

04th August, 2013

Echo by Davidoff

I have mixed feelings about this one. The bottle is very attractive. Pardon my bad pun ... but ... I can only echo what others have said about it. It's not bad, a little on the sweet and flowery side for my taste. It smells slightly synthetic and even faintly metallic. On the plus side it does have an aquatic vibe that is not as assertive as, say, Nautica. Not one of my favorites, but I'm not giving it away or throwing it out either.
15th April, 2013

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Green No. 1582 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

This is not an expensive fragrance and I believe the most beautiful colognes and eau de toilettes are the costly ones, so I do not hold these "budget" ones to the same standard as I would the renowned ones.

Look: I'm a blue collar guy in Philly and I reserve the stuff by Guerlain or Hermes for more special evenings. Some us of working class guys just need something to put in our gym bags that we can spritz on after a workout and a shower. Capiche?!

I like this one. It's fresh, a little citrusy with bergamot, but mostly seems to have a mossy and vetiver characteristic that makes it not too sweet and decidedly masculine. It is a morning and early afternoon scent. It does not have the complexity or richness of the expensive fragrances. To me it evokes an early morning in the backyard that has an herb garden, cut grass and orange blossoms in bloom.

Bel Ami by Hermès

This is one of my favorites.

It has a masculine but elegant scent - others noted the leather and oakmoss characteristic - but I distinctly sense rich old pipe tobacco in it. It smells warm, rich, even sexy. I miss the old faceted "cocktail shaker" bottle, but we wear the scent and not the bottle.

Bel Ami evokes a mahogany paneled Gentleman's Club library full of old books and heavy velvet draperies. It is sophisticated. This is not a youthful fragrance and I recommend it for guys over 35 or 40. It is an evening fragrance.

Citron by Bath and Body Works

I think Bath & Body Works might have discontinued this men's fragrance recently because it was not on the shelf a few weeks ago when I was in their shop.

Citron, as the name implies, is a fresh citrusy everyday scent. What makes it a little different from some of the others is a hint of vanilla, which gives it a warmer character and some complexity to it.

I'm a blue collar guy in Philly, so I can't extrapolate on why I like some scents and hate others. I like this one. It's inexpensive, but it doesn't smell cheap. No it's not heavenly like some of the costlier colognes I have by, say, Hermes; but at around 30 bucks a bottle it's a good every day scent to sprinkle on after shaving.