Reviews by BRM85282

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A Shadow of its former greatness, but still pretty good.

I first discovered Dolce and Gabbana PH in the late 1990s/2000s when I was in college and in my 20s. The monster projection and longevity of the original formulation was a true beast. I wore whenever I went out at night...to the clubs, on dates, at parties. I got massive compliments and positive comments. It was the signature scent of one of the most impressionable times of my life...it captured the last few years of my youth and the transition to adulthood. I wore it when I was dating the woman who would become my wife and even wore it at my wedding.

Then, a few years later, I grew up, landed a "real" job, bought a house, and had a couple of kids. At this point, the loud in-your-face fragrance I wore to the clubs wasn't really appropriate for the office or to family nights out at Peter Piper Pizza. Although when my wife and I would go to Vegas for a quick vacation without the kids, I would douse myself with a quick spray, and I was ready to go.

Just the other day, I bought a bottle online. When I smelled it again, I immediately noticed the reformulation. This was from the 2009/UK formulation (yes, it is 2013 so i was sold old stock, but that's for another post). This new version is a shadow of it's former self. Yes, it does smell similar, yes, the projection is quite a bit less and the longevity is less than half of what it used to be. I was immediately disappointed, but the more I wore wear it,the more at peace I am with it. For me, it retains its essence, but now it's a lot more "safe" to wear to the office or even at a family night out. It has evolved with me, but I am still nostalgic for the memories I used to have.

Am I happy with the reformulations? No, but I am at peace with them. I understand why designers do this sort of thing...to save money, etc. My real gripe with this is that scent is one strongest memories we have, and this is D&G's way of telling me to move on and grow up. I just don't want to!

I suggest they come out with a EdP version of the reformulation to restore it back to its former glory. I know that I would immediately got out and buy a bottle!

Pros: Brings back great memories
Cons: One word: Reformulations!

01st June, 2013

Nautica Classic by Nautica

Is this dated? Yes!
Are there better aquatics out there? Yes!
Is the projection and longevity sketchy? Yes!
Do I love this? Absolutely!

I first encountered this scent (and/or Joop!) in the early 1990s when I was in high school, and it brings back many fond memories of my teenage years. I would douse myself with this scent and go hangout at the mall with my buddies where we would strut around and try (in vain) to pick up girls. WE thought we were hot stuff, despite the fact that we had to call my mom for a ride.

This scent is pure 90s in it full aquatic glory. This and Cool Water are my coming of age scents. There are much better frags out there, but this is cheap and does the job. I just picked up a 3.4 oz bottle at Mrshalls for $16. For this price, I say it's a steal! Even if I only wore it one or twice, it is woth it!
15th May, 2013

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I really didn't want to like this scent. I tested it out several times at Sephora and the other department stores, and although I liked it, I didn't LOVE it. I kept trying it off and on for a year. Each time I sampled it, I liked it just a little bit more than the time before. The last time I sampled it, I decided right then and there to take the plunge and buy the 1.7 FL OZ EDT; I have not regretted it at all.

I tend to have longevity and projection issues. I don't know if it's from my body chemistry (maybe I drink too much coffee), my dry skin, or just my nose, but this fragrance is a BEAST for me. I get a good 10 to 12 hours minimum. In addition, I have received more compliments from friends and strangers alike. Both men and women have commented on it and said how nice I smell.

Having said that, I really don't think this is a ground-breaking fragrance. Yes, it is generic and safe. It's the epitome of a work scent, but that's OK with me. I like it better than Issey Miyake (which smells like bug spray...albeit a high quality bug spray) or YSL L'Homme (which is bleh and a little too sweet). The dry down is great, people like it on me, and it is complex and interesting enough to keep my attention if I don't wear it every day.

This is one of the most underrated fragrances out there!
06th May, 2013

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I really wanted to like this one, and based on various posts and comments, it seems like this is a favorite of many people. Unfortunately, I just couldn't make a connection with this fragrance. The spicy dry down was nice and the longevity was pretty good, as my skin doesn't really hold fragrance well. It seems really safe and work friendly, but on me it smells like bug spray. It also has a dated feel. When I smell it, I am immediately transported to the early 1990s. This is something that I would have worn in high school when I wanted something "expensive and dressy" compared to Cool Water or Acqua di Gio. I appreciate the quality and understand why others like it. It's just really not for me.
04th May, 2013

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I had heard quite a bit of hype about this fragrance, and I really wanted to like it. I found it to be a little too sweet for my taste. I can absolutely see this being somebody's signature scent for work during the spring, but it's just not for me. It's very easy on the nose, but there is something about it that seems like a more sophisticated version of Diesel Fuel for Life. It had surprising longevity for me, but the projection was a little weak. For some reason it feels a little dated, like something I would have worn in the 1990s.
26th April, 2013