Reviews by Davo

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

I don't agree with the negatives. I also don't agree that it fails to live up to its "spice" name. For me, as a cook, this smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all things Christmas. In the drydown it even has a hint of chocolate, like a spicier version of Dior Homme Intense. None of these appear in the notes, partly because it is not meant to smell like that, and partly because I am not a perfume afficionado and I smell what my nose tells me that I am smelling.

This is definitely a winter scent, but it smells masculine and different and if you are looking for something to attract comments from the ladies you are in the right territory. Spray it on and walk in to a dark cocktail bar at the office party wearing a black suit and white shirt and you will see the effect that it has. Forget the stuffy reviews, this is modern, vibrant, spicy (in the actual spice kind of way), and you cannot go wrong with it. Buy it, finish it, then toss the hand grenade shaped bottle over the fence like you own the scent, not the other way around.

12 April, 2013

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I have to say, I think this is a case of knowing too much counting against you. It is the ultimate irony of becoming knowledgeable about anything; as soon as you do, you require more and more extreme versions of that thing to satisfy your knowledge and nothing other than the extraordinary can satisfy your craving.

I have to confess, I am not a perfume afficionado. But you know what, that doesn't matter. Because in the end, all fragrances are made to fulfill a purpose, and each will be received differently by every person. That is what makes them beautiful and unique. One man's perfection is another's poison.

For me, Bleu fulfills a specific purpose. It is beautifully fresh and summery and now the days are warming up for spring it evokes the type of scent you experience with daffodils springing up all over the place. It is light and breezy, and I wear it for the office where I do not want to be known as "aftershave dude". From starting to wear this EDT I received three compliments within 12 hours; one from my wife, one from a store assistant, and one from a colleague. For those who have not ruined their own sense of enjoyment of scents by becoming knowledgeable (through no fault of their own), and for those who just buy those smellies that they like to smell like, I say buy this and enjoy it without fear. You will smell great and enjoy every minute of it.

12 April, 2013