Reviews by malacoda

L'Ame d'un Héros by Guerlain

To my nose this is a dry, crisp, classy fragrance with, as others have mentioned, a well balanced mix of juniper and conifer holding the lead roles (in a nicely tempered, non-over bearing manner that plays very well with the other notes in the background).

While I can certainly see The Soul of the Hero being worn by either sex, it does strike me as leaning slightly toward a masculine side.

It's dry, crisp freshness is rather invigoration -- almost reminds me of the incredibly fresh, intoxicating smell of the summer air when I visited Sequoia National Park to see the giant redwoods (God, how I wish I could have bottled that air...).

Unfortunately, on my cool, slightly dry skin within minutes of application it faded into a skin scent. Perhaps my nose is merely a bit anosmatic to it, but just 30 minutes into a 4-5 spray application, I can only detect it if I hold my wrist in front of my nose.
19th December, 2014

Jicky by Guerlain

Absolutely amazing.

Of the 70 or so fragrances I've tried over the past 18 months, Jicky is one of only 3 that have made me stand up and say 'definitely HAVE to have this one' the second it touched my skin.

Both the EdT, EdP, and extract all smell great.

On my slightly dry skin, the EdP has significantly more longevity than the EdT. And during dry down, a touch more of the civet is noticeable in the extract than the EdP (after dry down they're both more or less same to my nose with the EdP having just the slightest hint more intensity).

Am a lit surprised though...

Longevity of the extract on my skin is only a little better than that of the EdP - nowhere near enough to justify the extra ~$150 in price.

As I said though, I don't care if Jicky is now positioned in the market as women's fragrance - it is one scent I "just HAVE to have."
20th September, 2014

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

All in all a nice scent - but throughout the day it just felt as if something was holding it back from being truly great....

After a few hours I was finally able to put my finger on it - IMHO there is a problem with its 'sweetness'.

The bulk of its notes give it a refined, grown up personality that, IMHO, has a lot of promise. But the nature of its sweet notes feels like an irresponsible 22 year old who wants nothing more to do with life than go clubbing.

It's as though its trying elicit two personae at once: that of an elegant, refined grown up, (the dominant persona) and that of a youthful, carefree, rebellious youth (the secondary persona) -- only the two persona clash with each other rather than being evoked in harmony.

I detected no hints of rotten melon or cucumber. But I can no understand why others have posted they feel this scent is somewhat discordant and all over the place.

06th April, 2014