Reviews by thines01

thines01's avatar
    thines01

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

What a strange, unique scent!
    This one smells fruity and gritty at the opening -- like wet cement in front of a fruit stand.
    It lasts a decent amount of time (8 hours at last wearing) and can be worn year round (reducing the number of sprays for hot weather).
    This is completely unisex and can be layered with other scents easily.
    I'm glad I purchased a full bottle of this.

09th March, 2015

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

This one screams the word "Man" when you smell it (in a loud chest-voice).
    To me, it's only masculine and I would find it weird on a woman.
    With that said: I LOVE this fragrance.
    It has a retro (early 1970's) vibe to it that brings back memories.
    This would work well on those above 40 to enhance that retro effect.
    Emily (at the Bond No 9. counter at Hall's in Kansas City) suggested layering this with Great Jones,
    which creates a completely unique (and expensive) retro vibe.

Cooper Square is VERY signature-scent worthy and can be worn year-round.

25th February, 2015

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I don't get it.
    I expected a really loud fragrance given all of the notes, but it does not project at all.
    I've only worn this on the backs of my hands because I don't particularly care for the smell.

Antidote quickly becomes a skin-scent but does have longevity (as a skin-scent).
    The notes I do smell burn my nose and make me wonder why this costs as much as it does. I have had the tester bottle at work and let the other males try it. No one has said they are interested in it. One person said it doesn't smell that bad. Not one asked where to get it (or where I got it).

18th February, 2015

Saks Fifth Avenue for Him by Bond No. 9

There is a note in a skunk's spray that I find interesting.
    It's actually more attractive than repulsive.
    I find it interesting because I'm not supposed to like it, but I do.
    There is a note in Saks Fifth Avenue that produces the same effect.
    I find it interesting and therefore keep smelling it.
    It is the type of note that I feel others wouldn't like (at first).

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sour, cloying, synthetic bug-spray/insect-repellent (mixed with CK-One).
    This scent can be found in the camping section of any store for around $8.00 USD.
    Maybe both will protect you against mosquitos.

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If you are looking for a basil-oriented scent, this is it!
    A paradox in its own right:
    Light and Dark, Sweet and Tart, Soft and Loud, Unique and Familiar all at the same time.
    This one seems to take a lot of the best of your favorite fragrances
    and mix them with basil to create a special composition.
    I am a big fan of all of the notes in the dry-down which
    will have other smelling you and you smelling yourself for hours.
    This could easily be a signature scent and because of the polarizing aspect,
    should be easy to pick up for less than retail online.
    Riverside Drive will always be in my collection.

Forever Midnight by Bath and Body Works

I smelled this on a co-worker and it so intrigued me, I had to buy it and give it to the first female in the family who would claim it.

This perfume has a deep, gripping aroma that is like plum and tobacco (tobacco not being a listed note). It's very strong and will make others ask what you're wearing.
    The projection is beastly and is a great quality fragrance for something from B&BW.

It's relatively inexpensive and is a great alternative to Forever Red (which I also love).

I submit if they added bergamot, this would also be a powerhouse men's fragrance.

23rd August, 2014

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This is an absolutely beautiful-smelling fragrance with no projection or longevity. I bought it in a two-bottle package and was disapponted especially because of the high price. I found there is a body-lotion that comes in a different package and might have kept this if I could have bought the lotion by itself to help with the longevity issues. Too bad.

Pros: The smell
    Cons: The longevity and the price

01st January, 2014

Everything & Nothing No. 10 by Tokyo Milk

A very pleasant scent that is a skin-scent after three hours. The opening is very carries good projection to bystanders.
    Very tea-oriented, but florals play second-fiddle.
    The blend also carries an undertone of tobacco which is not listed in the notes.
    This frag leans toward the feminine, can be worn all-year-round.

30th December, 2013

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Absolutely Beautiful

What a beautiful fragrance.

I thought nothing could replace my #1 designer fragrance or my #1 niche fragrance, but Bleecker Street has done it.

I originally received a sample vial of it when I bought Chez Bond as my first Bond (and first Niche fragrance). I tried it (along with a few other Bond samples) and was immediately intrigued by the presence of Oak Moss. When my sample vial ran out, I immediately went online and bought a full bottle. I have received compliments from males and females and my wife loves this on me, too!

This is a definite "try" for the serious hobbyist and is, by far, the best Bond I have ever smelled.

Pros: Longevity, The Smell, The Dry-down
    Cons: The Price"

03rd September, 2013

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Excellent Surprise

I did not like this fragrance when I first smelled this at the Nordstrom counter.

As luck would have it, the SA gave me a sample vial and told me it would grow on me and I would love it.

I laughed at him and turned up my nose at the smell. I didn't understand what I was smelling.

A few days later, I tried the sample. A few days after that, the memory of the scent hit me and I chose to actually wear it and REALLY enjoyed the aroma. The masculine rose combined with pepper was unexpected and was so different from other fragrances that it made me think something was wrong.

The sandalwood shows up in the dry-down and there is an interesting synthetic base that I find really attractive (for some reason).

When my sample ran out, I ordered a full bottle online and found I could get it at a great discount over department store prices.

It is now one of my favorites and I have worn it to work, to church, out to dinner and especially at night (just for myself).

Pros: Great longevity
    Cons: Difficult to understand at first"

03rd September, 2013

Armani Code Sport by Giorgio Armani

Nice Generic Sporty Fragrance

I bought the 4.2 oz. bottle because it was the only size available at Macy's at the time.

First: This does NOT smell anything like anything (else) in the Armani Code branch.

This is a very nice mint and citrus fragrance that lasts a long time on my skin.
    It seems to be best used in casual situations and I have worn it to scout meetings, on Saturdays and now at work.

The projection is fair and the sillage is close, but anyone coming within range will probably be pleased.

I bought this because I like a lot of Armani fragrances and wanted to pick up a sporty fragrance.

The SA at Macy's said it was specially formulated to project differently on each wearer depending on body chemistry. I thought that was an obvious effect of most fragrances, however this one is supposed to be something a-little-more-special-er (I guess).

It does remind me of Versace pour Homme but sweeter and less synthetic.

I will replenish this one if/when it runs out even though the price is high for this type of fragrance.

It can be worn by anyone of any age but might be best suited for warmer weather.

Pros: Smells good / Lasts a long time
    Cons: Not unique"

23rd July, 2013

Base Note: Gaiac Wood, Vetiver, Ambroxan

02nd June, 2013

Vintage by John Varvatos

True to its name

This stuff is true to its name.

It is a delicious, comfortable, creamy dressed-up man from the mid-1970s.

This could be a signature scent for the confident man who makes no apologies for his decisions.

This has a real barber-shop smell and is perfect for the over 30 crowd.

Pros: Smells great and retro
    Cons: Smells retro

29th May, 2013

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

Missed the mark

This stuff stinks.

I love the rest of the John Varvatos line. Most of the fragrances I've tested are classy and sophisticated.

10th Anniversary smells like povidone-iodine and gauze mixed with cumin and olive-oil and tonka bean.

I guess if you want to smell like a sweaty emergency-room doctor, this is your stuff.

Pros: Different
    Cons: Stinks

29th May, 2013

Armani Code Ultimate by Giorgio Armani

Smells Like Code + Le Mâle

I would imagine that those who love Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier(LM) might love the combination of worlds here in Armani Code Ultimate (ACU).  I find it strange as I have not yet learned to love Le Mâle.

I own LM and it seems as if something is missing.  Those ingredients have been added into ACU.

I'm still testing the sillage and longevity of ACU, but my initial assumption is that it lasts longer than Armani Code, but not as long as LM.

I prefer the scent of ACU to that of Le Mâle, but I prefer the scent of the original Armani Code to anything else.

I have three sample vials of ACU and will decide after the use of ONE vial if I would buy a whole bottle of Ultimate.

If I had known about this earlier, though, I would have never purchased Le Mâle.

[5-Months Later]

I have really grown to respect and enjoy ACU.

The longevity is great and the fragrance is safe enough for any occasion.

Pros: Smells like Code
    Cons: Smells like Le Mâle

23rd May, 2013

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

I just changed this to a Thumbs Down because it gave me a headache at every wear.
    I took the bottle back to the place of purchase and will not revisit it.

--- [original review] ---

Good Stuff

I tried this fragrance earlier today and was immediately in love with the scent.

It smelled to me like a light version of Terre D'Hermes (and therefore my wife didn't like it).

I think it can be worn in place of TdH when you don't want to gas-out the area (like at work).

5 hours later, I can still smell the cedar.

The fragrance changes slightly from a slightly-projecting frag to a skin scent.

This could be a signature scent.

Pros: Nice Manly Fragrance
    Cons: May be confused with others</p>

20th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2015)

Original Penguin Reserve by Original Penguin

Pretty nice fragrance

This is a surprising fragrance that has an initial attack similar to cedar (but cedar is not listed in the notes).

In the dry-down, It quickly changes to a slightly-powdery, sweet fragrance that is pleasant, but close to the skin.

The sillage was fairly low and the longevity is about 4 hours on my skin.

The lingering notes produce a fresh soap and musk scent that lasts to the end.

This would be good for office, church or dating, but would do unnoticed in a club environment.

Pros: Light, non-cloying
    Cons: Fades rather quickly

20th May, 2013

HiM by Hanae Mori

This is a decent-smelling fragrance that starts out with a sharp cedar attack.
    Unfortunately, the cedar fades in about two hours and the dry-down is nice and sweet. The sweetness is very close to the skin and you will need to actively remind yourself it's there.

The fragrance fades and returns and fades and returns.
    It is non-offensive, but wouldn't really be noticible unless you are in close quarters with someone else. This makes it a nice fragrance for dates and even for the office.

I'm not really impressed by any of it, but it is a nice choice to have in the collection.

14th May, 2013

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I had originally given this a neutral, but I've changed it to a thumbs-up!
    This is a modern-day powerhouse fragrance as others have said.

I sprayed this on at the mall and sprayed it on paper.
    I liked the brash intensity of both sprays and the mental imagery this brings out.
    To me, it smells like the "Big Boss" who sits behind the large, unpolished desk hollering at someone for losing the "Johnson account" or like the actor, Simon Oakland (the boss in "The Night Stalker" (TV show)). Maybe it's what I imagine Frank Sutton (Sgt. Carter from "Gomer Pyle") would smell like when dressed in a suit.
    Anyway: All of the women in the store; my wife, my 17 y/o daughter and the two women behind the counter didn't like it. They HATED it at the bottle, on paper and on me. Hmmm...

This, however, has become one of my all-time favorites.
    Layering it with the Pure Parfum of same name completes the ensemble and lasts all day and night. This is niche quality in a designer fragrance.
    It works in any weather for any occasion and probably best suits the 30+ year-old male.
    ...very worth the price and fairly unique where I live, so it would be easy for me to make this a signature scent.

12th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st November, 2014)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This is the first fragrance I purchased for myself. I found it accidentally while looking for computer source code and out of curiosity, I (eventually) went to the mall to find it.
    I like the powdery smell and the whole fragrance is pleasant and non-offensive to me.
    The fragrance projects for a couple of hours and becomes a skin-scent that I feel is pleasant in close-quarters.
    The sillage is a about 3 feet on me and is noticeable while moving and turning.
    It really settles after about 6 hours of wear, but I prefer that if I'm going to clean up and change fragrances for the evening or go without an added frag.
    Since I work in an office environment, I can wear this year round (consistent temperature inside).

11th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2014)

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

This is my first Bond.
    It's a "trendy" substance purchased for "trendy" purposes (just like Creed's Green Irish Tweed (GIT)).

I smelled GIT before this and thought CB smell like GIT with the "nasty" removed.

I must say it smells WAY better sprayed on my skin than in the air or on paper.
    After a few hours, I got an incredibly delicious aroma coming out of my collar and wanted to ask other people to smell me to confirm it. The smell was so good, I wanted to return the smaller bottle for the bigger one.

It was the best of all of the Bonds I sampled, but in retrospect, I don't know if I would choose any of them again although I really enjoyed it while it was on.

I bought this to have a unique fragrance that would not resemble anything worn by my peers or co-workers. Mission (for good or bad) accomplished.

11th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 14th May, 2013)

Rocks by Original Penguin

This was a surprise for me and I really liked it.
    It produces a mellow, pleasant scent and the dry-down in incredibly nice.

I look forward to purchasing a full bottle of this.

Legend by Montblanc

Abercrombie should take note of the diminished intensity of this fragrance.
    When I first smelled this, I went through everything in the cabinet (deodorant included) to try to place the familiar smell. THEN I saw the comments about Abercrombie. YES, THAT'S IT!

I walk an arc around the Abercrombie store to avoid the smell, but this stuff smells like a re-formulation of Abercrobie Fierce with the offending pungeance removed.
    I think they 'fume the place to keep older folks from getting too close to the store.

This would make a good deodorant fragrance.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I can wear this year round -- day or night.
    It's a great (generic) scent that shouldn't offend most.
    It has a strong, citrus and cedar aroma that stays throughout.
    The fragrance fades after a few hours, but that's OK if you want to change later.
    I believe it is expensive mainly because of its popularity.

It's the kind of fragrance you "throw on" when you can't make up your mind of what to wear, but just want to wear "something".

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

There is something in the make-up of this fragrance that makes it disappear and return and disappear again. It is a very pleasant scent that can be worn by anyone.
    It seems to be formulated for casual wear, but I can wear it in an office environment without worry of offending anyone.
    It might become invisible at times because we are so accustomed to the chemical formulas produced by P&G.
    I could wear this in the evening for casual events.

Casual / Business Casual
    It is horribly expensive for its caliber, however.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I bought this after 1 sniff.
    Although I love the fragrance, I consider it to be somewhat juvenile like being present when candy is being made.

I would wear this if I had to go to an evening event full of younger people and I didn't want to smell like an old man.

Other than that, the use would be pretty limited unless I'm partying in the hood.
    I will continue to experiment with it to see where it might best apply.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This is a really different scent that I like. It provides me with some variety in my arsenal.

I has a strong grapefruit-peel attack and the citrus stays throughout the wearing of the fragrance. It's good if you don't feel like being "sweet".

This one (lightly sprayed) would be good in a work environment.

I will wear this to church, but I don't see it as an evening scent (as I would want someting sweeter).
    The sillage is decent with a projecting distance of about 2 feet.
    It is fairly linear, but I call it "consistent".

Prada Amber pour Homme Intense by Prada

DEAR EVERYONE IN A 10-FOOT RADIUS, A MAN WEARING FRAGRANCE IS NEAR YOU!!!
    I bought this yesterday (while returning two other fragrances I didn't like).
    In the store, it smelled like fresh Tootsie Rolls.
    I got home, cleaned-up, sprayed-on and went to an event where my wife was waiting. She immediately asked, "What do you have on?". I asked her if she liked it or hated it and she said she wasn't sure. Later, she said she was not a fan of Patchouli, but the rest of it smelled good.

I sprayed one on each side of my neck and one to my LEFT wrist pulse point and tapped it to the right. This morning (15 hours later), I can still smell it, but left smells different (weaker) than right. Use this stuff sparingly.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I loved this fragrance from the first smell. Excellent sprayer.
    It can be a bit overwhelming if applied too heavily.
    It reminds me of nutmeg and syrup (and cardamom).

If you're going to wear this to work, use it sparingly.
    With four sprays, I gassed-out myself in the car and felt I was gassing out others in the elevator almost an hour later.
    At the three-hour mark, it really settled and became a lighter, extremely pleasant, manly scent that I enjoyed for the rest of the work day.
    This one would be good for church and evening wear for those over the age of thirty.
    This one might not be good for hot-weather wear because it has a thick aroma.

My wife likes it.