Reviews by warmlightsunsea

Vetiver Veritas by Heeley

I love the earthiness of vetiver, but this is a one-track scent in which the vetiver is just too overpowering. After trying on this scent, I think vetiver is best as a complement to other green scents rather than the centerpiece.
07th August, 2015

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

I just love the opening on this fragrance, but I hate the dry down. The dry down smells so synthetic on my skin. It's probably the patchouli--I just don't get along with that scent. I wish it was formulated without it!
29th May, 2015

L.I.L.Y by Stella McCartney

I agree with the reviewer who wrote:

"It's classy (somehow), unique and has a masculine touch. It needs a strong, independent woman to wear this smell, I think. When this is said, it's very feminine to wear a strong smell, which gives the impression that the woman who wears it is very confident and secure about herself - enough to wear such strong perfume."

This is a perfume for a confident, independent woman who is both very feminine and comfortably masculine at the same time. I love it. I wear it often in the fall and winter.
15th May, 2015

B. by Balenciaga

I got a tester of this when visiting a department store. I also got two other testers--all of them unmarked. The other two were unremarkable; I tossed them without a second thought. However, when I put this one on again I was riveted--I had to know what scent it was. I went back to the department store to find the scent based on what remained of my tester tube. The first time I got it wrong, so I went back again--and found it. It was this beauty. I cannot say enough how much I like this scent.
15th May, 2015

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Soft. That is the word I would use to describe this scent. "En Passant" is the perfect name for it, because it is furtive, in the background, and yet its presence is unmistakable. It is beautiful, particularly at first, but after that it becomes almost powdery for me. I need something a little sharper.
30th September, 2014

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The only word to describe this scent is NUMINOUS.

On a woman with a heart that is both wild and peaceful, deep currents, light and dark, shaman making things grow, the woods after a storm--this is perfection.
23rd September, 2014 (last edited: 30th September, 2014)

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

Reminiscent of Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau, but with just a bit more fruit. The bay leaf really is at the center of this delightful fragrance, which manages to be both light and bull-bodied at the same time. Sillage isn't that great (it fades very quickly), but for the scent, it's worth it.
05th August, 2014

Fleur de Vigne by Caudalíe

This is a lovely, light, citrus-tea scent. It gives Elizabeth Arden’s Green Tea a run for its money! I love it.
03rd August, 2014

Tea Collection : Earl Grey & Cucumber by Jo Malone

I really don’t know where all the other notes are on this one; all I’m getting is a super strong earl grey tea. To work for me, it would have to have been softer and cut better with the other notes.
10th July, 2014

Dark by Andrea Maack

I loved this subtle, sophisticated fruit scent. Most fruity perfumes are cloying and overwhelming, but not this one. Like other reviewers have noted, the main perceptible note is grapefruit, but it is a delightful, sweet grapefruit well-cut by the rose, woods, and florals. This is a perfect scent for year-round, but particularly spring and summer. Truly different from eau scents, sweet and mysterious. I love it.
11th April, 2014

Nirvana White by Elizabeth and James

I normally don’t like musk, but I can’t smell much musk here. Just the peony and muguet and/or lily of the valley. It is so light and fresh that I can almost smell tea in it. As a big fan of light tea scents, this is one of my favorite florals so far.
09th April, 2014

Platino by Omnia Profumo

It's not a bad scent, but it's sweet in a very generic, I don't know what I'm smelling kind of way. Perhaps this one just doesn't work well with my skin chemistry. A bit cloying.
28th March, 2014

Intense Cafe by Montale

This is a truly lovely scent – and it really does smell like coffee! It has the potential to be very seductive/interesting on the right person. However, the musk kills it for me.
06th March, 2014

Acte 2 by Escada

I like this scent, but it’s a bit confusing/too busy. It draws more attention to itself than it does to me. It’s not sickeningly perfumey, but it doesn’t blend in well with my skin. It could be lovely on someone else, though.
06th March, 2014

Exceptional Because You Are by Exceptional

This fragrance embodies ambivalence for me. On the one hand, I love pepper and water florals, which this has in spades. On the other, it is horribly synthetic. It's the first scent that I've liked that has given me a "perfume headache." My partner described this as "decadent boredom." I think that pretty much sums it up.
28th February, 2014

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

I’m normally not a fan of musks, but they play so well in this absolutely gorgeous green fragrance. I feel so fresh wearing it. The ivy leaves are beautifully executed, per Diptyque’s signature style. Love.
02nd February, 2014

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

This eau is the epitome of fresh, and indeed unisex. A beautiful fragrance which, although subtle and light, has a lot of staying power for me. However, I find the musk overpowering all the other notes after about an hour. For fans of musk, this is a wonderful, light, all-purpose fragrance. For those who prefer a light scent without the musk, Bulgari's Green Tea is an excellent choice (and one of my personal favorite perfumes of all time).
21st January, 2014

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

This is a lovely scent; however, I find it more fruity than rose-y. The rose is so sweetened (danieq wrote, "candied"--that sounds right) that it doesn't smell very true to life, and after a few hours, all that remains are faint notes of what I can only take to be blackberry. I think this fragrance would work marvelously for many people; it really is romantic, sweet, and fresh. However, it isn't "mine."
21st January, 2014

Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc

This is a magical fragrance. Citrus, fruit, floral, pepper, caramel, vanilla, woods. It’s like a perfect symphony of most of the major categories of perfume notes in a seductive, very feminine fragrance. Amazing.
17th January, 2014

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

This is a truly fine, understated leather fragrance. The leather and floral elements flow through one another so sensuously. This strikes me as a very feminine leather, but also could be ravishing on a man. Lovely.
14th January, 2014

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This is billed as a masculine fragrance, although it smells more unisex to me. However, I think the basenotes do tilt it slightly in the direction of a more masculine “eau” fragrance. I like it, but for a long time there is a smell I can only describe as “peppery” which makes it far too “spicy” for me. I like pepper in fragrances, but I think in this perfume it was an attempt to make it more “masculine.” Very nice, very clear, clean fragrance. Would smell lovely on a man. However, I prefer other tea fragrances.
14th January, 2014

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

This is a gorgeous rose fragrance, with a hint of tea. The balance is perfect, and the rose is very realistic. I love it. Perhaps I got a weak batch, because it faded very quickly for me. But certainly one of the classiest rose fragrances out there.
13th January, 2014

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

I bought this because I was looking for a very clean, fresh eau type fragrance. It is certainly not unique in that regard, but it worked better for me than others in the "eau" genre. I have other perfumes that are much better than this one (in that genre as well), but I find it to be quite nice. It's certainly inoffensive, and works great for summer. Not every scent has to be the most memorable.

Ofrésia by Diptyque

This fragrance is a testimony to the power of masterful simplicity. Freesia and pepper. That's it. And it is one of the most beautiful, delicate floral fragrances I've ever smelled. Like the summary on LuckyScent said--this perfume carries Diptyque's uncanny ability to capture not just the petals but the whole body, stem and roots and earth, of the flower at its heart. I normally can't wear florals because they are too much for me. But this is the floral for people who dislike florals. Light, fresh, and airy, perfect for a summer day (or any day).

Bianca by Tocca

I love green tea scents, and this one manages to preserve the distinctive tea note while mixing it flawlessly with all the surrounding notes. It is a truly graceful, feminine, and fresh perfume. It is neck and neck with Bulgari's Eau de The Vert, in my opinion. It is also very close to Bulgari's Mon Jasmin Noir L'Eau Exquise--another jasmine green tea scent which I love. However, L'Eau Exquise is sweeter than Bianca, which is more tea-centered. The two perfectly complement each other.

Mon Jasmin Noir L'Eau Exquise by Bulgari

Another masterpiece from Bulgari (I have yet to encounter another house which makes so many perfumes I love). This scent accomplishes what I had not thought possible: making sweet smell supremely sophisticated. It's true there's not much jasmine here; rather, the tea is delicately jasmine-infused. This is fancy dinner on a summer night; dancing outside on the grass; precious stones and bare feet; so many beautiful things.

Louve by Serge Lutens

The opening on this was marvelous--I love almond scents, and I am still in search of a sweet and lasting one that is true to life but not too cloying. However, the almond notes vanished relatively quickly, leaving behind a kind of generic floral powdery scent--almost like baby powder. Disappointing.

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens

This perfume is contradictory: it is both VERY woody and very subdued and soft at the same time. For those who truly love woods, this scent must be a jackpot. I generally like my woods more "broken" with other notes, but for a pure woods perfume this is lovely. And yes, very feminine. However, I could also imagine a man pulling this off quite well.

Serendipitous by Serendipity 3

A lovely gourmand scent. Normally I find these too cloying, even nauseating--and often they don't smell like the foods they purport to smell like. Many of them have chemically or synthetic-smelling notes. However, this one was different. It is still VERY sweet, but it is actually appetizing! It smells like real food, not like the approximation thereof. For those days when I want to smell like chocolate, vanilla, caramelized sugar, this is the scent for me.

Salt Air by Demeter Fragrance Library

Simple, fresh, expansive

Wearing this perfume really is like taking a deep breath of fresh salty air. Perhaps if that air were also a tad sweet. :) This is a simple, no-fuss scent, perfect for clearing the mind and refreshing at any time of day or night.

05th June, 2013