Reviews by MimramMan

Bambou Trèfle by Galimard

After a bracing blast of lemon this modestly priced Galimard offering settles into a linear sea of greenness. Very nice too, and longevity (all working day in me) which belies it's designation as a "cologne" even if an absolue. So if you're into pure greenery in spring and summer (think crushed leaves and stems in a florist) this could be for you. It's grown on me and I wear it more with the passing years.
05th May, 2017

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel (current EA formulation) is a conundrum. I understand both those who love it and those who hate it. I rather like it but it's not an easy fragrance to wear for me. The opening is unpleasant - sort of Eau de Harpic Pot Pourri edition. It takes about half an hour to calm down and about an hour for the signature violet to shine - there's no splash and dash with this as you need to get it in a fit state to leave the house! Once the violet note is out there it is full, bright and clear and rather beautiful for five or six hours. After that it starts to decline into Eau de Lipstick Pot Pourri edition. In general for the office I wear fragrance under or on clothes but that doesn't work for GF at all - depending on fabric it will tend to go straight from Harpic to lipstick. One spray to the back of the neck - that's it. Is it worth the effort? I think so - the violet is stunning when it shows - but I can see why many would pass.
18th February, 2014

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Back in 2001 I had just finished my original bottle of VC&A PH and was unable to find any locally. My mum was off to Paris so I charged her with bringing a bottle back. "Nobody had any but they said this was the latest so I got it instead" was her tale on return and the "instead" was Zanzibar.

Of course I'd never seen or heard of it and was a little annoyed at first but, after a couples of tries, quickly changed my mind. The fresh spicy, ginger, pepper blend really sits well on my skin - longevity and spillage are good - and although many might consider this a spring/summer scent I actually prefer it in autumn and winter for celebration, parties and festivities thus carrying on the role PH had in my wardrobe. VC&A remains my "going out" house and I am about half way through my original 2001 bottle of Zanzibar - I'll sure miss it when it's gone.
30th December, 2013

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

In 1978 when this came out I was mostly wearing Chanel PM (when it was still "A Gentleman's Cologne"!) and would not have gone near Azzaro. For this autumn I've been wearing it almost daily for work and am really enjoying the barbershop vibe so I guess you have to be old! You do need to go easy though for a "modern" application - I go for two shots to clothes (back of shirt or one shirt and one inside jacket) to produce a gentle waft. I don't really want to stun my co-workers at thirty paces...or maybe...
05th December, 2013 (last edited: 11th December, 2013)