Reviews by sameasalways

sameasalways's avatar
    sameasalways

Duende by J del Pozo

This is a smell anyone could wear to work, and it is clean, fresh, crisp at the beginning. Somewhat aquatic but not with the sickeningly sweet and fake smell some of the other famous aquatics have which often times results in a headache for me. The beauty of this fragrance is it is so gentle, like a whisper through the day. It takes only one spray on your stomach for example, and you will thing, "huh..nice smell" and of course expect that by mid-day nothing will be left. But you will be wrong! All of a sudden you will notice a deeper and richer smell that whispers through to you and around you. A sexier smell..but still refined and clean. This is the beauty of Duende. A sneaky little bottle with a good price and something so few average people walkiing around have ever heard of. It's a gift to have found this.

19 February, 2010

Black XS for Her by Paco Rabanne

This is the only fragrance I have that is in the "sexy" category! I could never have picked out something for myself so well. If you see a picture of a woman's lips in a pout with deep red lipstick, this is the smell she would be wearing. It has a rich but bright cherry smell to me, and the peppercorn smell makes it work, preventing it from being cheap or girlie smelling. Then the drydown just gets richer and warmer and sexier, and the vanilla begins to peak out...just barely a tease. Sometimes I am afraid to wear this during the day...A mixture of rich dry red wine with plum notes for the drydown, (cherry and at first spritz/top notes berry notes), it does really remind me of some of my favorite wines...from start to finish.

13 December, 2008

Jean Nate by Revlon

Wow I am suprised no one mentioned the dry down on this. I don't really understand how something so lemony and bright and charging full of energy can dry down to such a warm and musky scent on me. Very strange, and also it brings with it memories of childhood. Combined together and I just can't bring myself to walk away from this fragrance or say anything bad about it no matter how cheap it is! Its that sort of cheap thing you want to bring yourself to hate because it makes you feel tasteless and yet you keep coming back to it. It is simple and fresh and to me will always remind me of the change between between innocence and childhood and changing to a woman.

13 December, 2008

Aoud Damascus by Montale

WOW! This was my first ever smell of anything by Montale. I am new to all of this, but its been a huge learning curve. I got six other samples and THIS is the one. Have you ever smelled a FRESH rose still in the garden? The kind that have the strong rose smell..the frail country ones on a bush w/huge thorns? The kind that swarm w/bees in the middle of a hot summer when everything else is silent? This smells like that. The first thing I wrote when I smelled this on my paper was "medicine" because it smelled of medicine somehow. I did not even think twice that I could like this. Then somehow something kept smelling soooo unbelievably good. And it was the one I had marked "medicine" (the medicine smell lasted a whole 5 minutes IF that). So later that day I had to put more one. And the next day I put even more on. And now I find myself just wanting it more. And looking at my poor little sample wondering what am I going to do? The only thing I don't like is the staying power is sooooo not there. Sad Sad Sad..because I could walk along smelling this on myself all day long. It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT smell like an old lady rose, which is what one might think of something that smells so pure. Its beautiful and clean and fresh and dreamy and luscious.

12 January, 2008

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I think this was my very first REAL perfume love. I had to have been about 9 years old!!! Maybe 10. I remember putting it on and loving it. I have to question what my teacher thought of me to be wearing such an adult scent. It was spicy and warm and musky and sweet. I felt very grown up and probably did not fit in at all in my small little elementary school in the country of middle-of-nowhere Idaho. But then...I have always been called "weird" (but in a good way). Suffice it to say I have been around and seen Paris, Dublin, the Cliffs of Moher, Venice, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, Prague....Luxemburg, Belgium, and Germany..San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York...and if this is the result of being "weird" at the age of 9/10, then so be it! I think this is the fragrance that started my elusive love for all fragrances and my curiosity for the out of reach.

12 January, 2008

Island Hawaii by Michael Kors

I like this because its different from most of the citrus type smells out there. Yes its still very clean and fresh. As if ate fresh ripe pineapple, it got all over your skin, the sand stuck to you, and you jumped into the cleanest ocean paradise complete w/waterfall.

29 December, 2007

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I don't get it. I was hoping for something so great and it was such a let down.

29 December, 2007

7 Sinful Scents: Greed by Gendarme

Smelled like an Angel knock-off to me. I can't handle angel though. This is a bit milder. And more plain.

28 December, 2007

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

I wanted to like this one based off the description at Sephora. But no. It was unremarkable. It smelled like perfume. If you could imagine what perfume would smell like..just any general perfume. This is what it would smell like. Too bad.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Its clean, but not crisp. Warm and sunny, exactly. Seems right for everyday. The cute bottle doesn't hurt it at all. I like it.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I love it I love it I love it. I feel bad that at age 32 I love it. But that just makes it more appealing I suppose. Yes it smells EXACTLY like being at the fair. Atleast initially. But then it turns to something more complex on me...something that also smells sexy and seductive. Have never had anyone complain of this fragrance. It seems to fit my personality perfectly. One of my isntructors thought someone was baking cookies down the hall. Nope that was me. When I donated blood, the man getting things ready asked me out of the blue what perfume I was wearing. He apparantly loved it and found it novel. He also said it smelled like someone had just opened a box of Oreo cookies. So yeah...its THAT sweet. But strangely..not a sickening sweet like soooo many other perfumes out there trying to be sweet these days. There is a warmth to it that changes to a distinctly DIFFERENT smell...whatever its base is, is completely lovely. Not at all a cookie at its heart. I don't think there is anything like it out there. I wouldn't wear it to a job interview though, :)

Envy Me by Gucci

Love this one. Got it confused with "Envy" intially. This is the one I was wanting and liking. Fresh, clean crisp, yet warm. Perfect for everyday.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I remember it still, despite trying only a few times, years ago. I can easily see why someone would love it or hate it. It is fruity without a doubt. But, eh..sometimes I feel a bit fruity anyway! Nice for the right type of day and mood...playful and fun. Serious it is not. I imagine the smell of jungle juice...? Well either way it smells like a party.

Body by Victoria by Victoria's Secret

Love it. Perfect for the office. Or any time of year. Clean and warm yet sophisticated enough for a woman. A good standby to have waiting by the door for you. The name strangely does not match the smell at all. The bottle shape itself somewhat does...but could be improved. Its always so hard for me to find this. What a shame.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I don't think I can say anything about this that hasn't already been said. But here I go anyway. I fell in lust with this when I first smelled it. Then I quickly grew to detest it. I guess reality hit? It smells like a hot sunny day on the west coast, after your shoes have melted into the asphalt and gum has stuck to the bottom of your shoe. And you've been walking a quearter of a mile to your car from the beach. Yeap. I suppose some people might like that though. It is DIFFERENT but I need something to be more than just different for me to like it. Maybe with the right chemistry it would be sheer ectasy. And I am sure this is the way it must be, but alas not for me.

Blue by Ralph Lauren

Warm and easy like a slow sunday morning. After a long bath saturday night soaking in a bubble bath and retiring to clean sheets, this is what the smell would be when you woke up after sleeping in...clean and peaceful.

Envy by Gucci

I like it a lot. Seems most anyone could wear it. I suppose that would be bad for some people...but fresh, clean, crisp yet warm and feminine w/a hidden side. Good for everyday.

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I've said it once and I'll say it again. It was like a can of sweetened condensed milk that had been left out on a hot day to attract flies, spilling between the cracks of the wood patio onto the packed dirt beneath it. If you're into that sort of thing. Chocolate? Where?

Poivre Rose / Pink Pepper by Body Shop

I loved this. It was one of the few scents I have owned that I actually used up quickly. The scent didn't last long on my skin..but otherwise, it was very nice, and different from most of the average perfumes coming out now. If I could find a body shoppe near me again I would purchase again.

24 December, 2007

Eternity by Calvin Klein

Smells really good on me. Very floral. So much so that if I had known it was floral I would have likely never tried it. Does not smell artificial on me, but rather like a big lily in a bouguet. I can see why someone might not like it..reminds me of the flowers I got when my son was born..w/lily's. The nurse who came in had to immediately leave due to being allergic. But the smell was still lovely. And it smells warm, clean, crisp lily-like in the warm summer evening.

24 December, 2007