Reviews by Zhi

Zhi's avatar
    Zhi

Majestic Rose by Yves Saint Laurent

What a reaction!

I just purchased Majestic Rose at Heathrow Airport. I has sprayed a bit on my wrist and was sold. I like rose fragrances - not artificial, not cutesy, not space age - rose, real rose. That is what this is - a rose with enough of an animalic undertone to draw people to me like flies.

Every time I wear Majestic Rose, men sidle up to me and finally ask what I'm wearing. It happens everywhere - it's so funny, such a conversation starter. I am way past the age where twenty-something fellows are constantly chatting me up - but now longer. What a hoot!

If you like people - wear Majestic Rose!

Pros: Attracts people - lots of them.
    Cons:

18 August, 2013

L'Heure de Nuit by Guerlain

I happened to be in Saks yesterday sampling a few perfumes. I decided to splurge on a bottle of By Kilian's Rose Oud which is marvelous. I had, however, applied L'Heure de Nuit to one arm and certainly "like" it, but after the Kilian purchase decided to leave. As I walked across the parking lot the warm spring breeze kept giving me fleeting whiffs of the Guerlain - lovely. I got into my car pulled out the parking lot and the sun hit my arm and the fragrance got stronger and warmer and was amazing. I couldn't ignore it, and yes, I pulled back into the parking lot and bought a bottle.

While I don't having the perfume vocabulary of most of the people who post here, I would say this is the traditional Guerlainade with a soft veil over it. It is really soft yet definitely present - and perfumes tend to fade quickly on my skin - this does not. All in all I love it and hope many of you will enjoy it too!

11th March, 2013 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2013)

Donna Karan Essence: Labdanum by Donna Karan

Besides being a truly luxurious perfume to wear, I have taken to liberally spraying my private journal and other special books with this. It is wonderful to open the pages of my Psalter and have this exotic fragrance drift toward me.

22 September, 2012

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

I am a fragrance collector and currently have 373 carefully selected bottles. This year I found Aedes de Venustas - it is amazing. Smoky and spicy, totally unique. Not for the faint of heart or those always seeking the approval of others. From the first day and with repeated use, this is number one on my list. Love it!

15 July, 2012

34 Boulevard Saint Germain by Diptyque

Wonderful and unique. Woody and earthy.

Alien Aqua Chic by Thierry Mugler

Nice but not wimpy. Freesia and amber in a lovely combination.

17 May, 2012

Angel: Le Gôut du Parfum - Sublimée de Poudre de Cacao Amer / The Taste of Fragrance - Magnified with Bitter Cocoa Powder by Thierry Mugler

Oh my! Don't count your first sniff - wait for the second one, full of bittersweet cocoa. So unusual - love it.

17 May, 2012

Alien: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [Salted Butter Caramel] by Thierry Mugler

Wonderful for cooler weather. The fragrance is yummy and it's not as intense as many of the Angel's are.

Roberto Cavalli by Roberto Cavalli

Pleasant, almost a thumbs up. It is soft, but doesn't last.

L'Eau de Chloé by Chloé

Wonderful sparkling fragrance with a tiny bite to it. Unfortunately, it has no lasting power.

One Perfect Rose by La Prairie

This is the most beautiful scent I've ever smelled! In fact it was the fact that this scent was discontinued that got me into collecting perfumes - the search for another perfect scent. I still have one and a half bottles of it and from time to time use it. Every time I put it on, I sigh at the beauty of it. Such a shame it's gone.

15 June, 2010