Reviews by kauinca

kauinca's avatar
    kauinca

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Absolutely love Rive Gauche! Even though it's been reformulated, it still smells pretty much the same as I rememberfrom the 70s and is wonderful and unique. It's a fragrance I never want to be without.

19 April, 2011

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Wow, I love JPG Classique edt! I purchased it when it first came out in the early 90s (before it was called Classique, just Jean Paul Gaultier), and am still on my original bottle. I remember trying it at Nordstorm for the first time - that warm, spicy and slightly nail polish scent - it was so different! I find I can only wear JPG Classique in cooler weather, and I do have to be in the mood as sometimes it can be too strong and cloying for me. (hence the reason I'm still on the original bottle) But, when I'm craving JPG there is nothing else that comes close or can satisfy that warm feeling that it brings as it envelops me in it's rich spiciness. It's so beautifully balanced that I don't notice any one note, and it doesn't come across particularly floral, just a fab oriental!

25 March, 2011

Beach by Bobbi Brown

Love Beach! Beach smells similar to the modern Coppertone, but not the same. It actually smells just like the old Coppertone Cocoa Butter (the solid kind they used to make). I was reading something about how Coppertone was developed in 1944 by a pharmacist named Benjamin Green and it was cocoa butter combined with jasmine (the "sea jasmine" note I guess). It's such a nostalgic scent - reminds me of sunny summer days, pools, beaches, wearing bikinis and cut offs, etc...just being young and having fun!

18 March, 2011

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I find I wear Allure quite well. It doesn't come off as a heavy or cloying just light and easy to wear. It's something I'll just spritz on when I'm in a rush and don't want to think about fragrance. Works well in warm weather on me. It is pretty generic and not up to Chanel's caliber, and I wouldn't purchase it, but I received it as a gift several years ago and the bottle's more than half gone...so that speaks for itself. Like it but don't love it.

06 March, 2011

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

Yes, it's drugstore cheap, and yes, it was way overworn in the 80s, but it still smells so good - floral and soapy. Use with a light touch!

06 March, 2011

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

I have no idea why I wasted money on this fragrance some years back. It's a ho hum floral that's rather boring and nothing special. I don't dislike Vera Wang, I just don't like it.

03 March, 2011

Now & Forever by Joan Rivers

I purchased Now & Forever some years back in a weak moment off of television after hearing Joan Rivers compare it to the likes of Joy (which I love). It is not like Joy! Why I didn't return it I'll never know. Every now and again I'll get the notion that it can't be that bad, I want to like it, and I try it again - but it always is that bad. It's a heavy, synthetic floral, that starts off sharp and cheap, immediately turning into some nostalgic soapy smell and then into something worse - it smells thick and weird. I always end up having to shower and scrub to attempt remove this vile stuff (which, unfortunately, has very good longevity). I have read glowing reviews of Now & Forever on other sites describing it as "fresh" and "amazing" - I just don't get it...

25 February, 2011

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I have forced Oud Wood on my husband and son, and have found it to be an extremely pleasant scent on both of them. It starts off a little sharp but warms up beautifully to a soft wood that sits close on the skin and is very appealing. My husband loves it, my son likes it, but found it headache inducing for the first hour or so. Unfortunately for both of them, it's highly unlikely they'll be using it once this sample is gone, as it's extremely pricey. I've yet to try Oud Wood on myself, but really like it on men. I can also imagine this would be lovely layered.

Update: Love Oud Wood on myself too! Nice layered as well. Very unisex. Beautiful fragrance - wish it wasn't so pricey.

19 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2011)

Tigress by Fragrances of France

Like others here, my mom used to wear this sometimes. I really don't remember the scent all that well, pleasant enough... but have to give it a thumbs up just for that crazy fuzzy cap!

19 February, 2011

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

After spitzing a card with Platinum Egoiste at the Chanel counter a couple of weeks ago, it seemed like a nice fragrance for my husband to try while we did some shopping. Within a matter of minutes we both noticed an odd unappealling note, but couldn't place it. Finally, he said it smelled like a hospital - actually a lot like antiseptic and bandaids! Obviously, PE doesn't work at all with his chemistry, and the horrid bandaid scent lingered for hours...

17 January, 2011

Or et Noir by Caron

I was fortunate enough to puchase a decant of this amazing fragrance on eBay some months back. This classic Caron urn fragrance is unlike any other rose - it's dark, elegant, wintery and exquistly beautiful. There's just enough rose that you know it's there, but it's not overly floral by any means. Or et Noir has become one of my absolute favorite fragrances, it's a masterpeice!

10th December, 2007