Reviews by Johnson73

Johnson73's avatar
    Johnson73

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur smells nice, but I don't find it particularly musky or ravaging. Vanilla and cinnamon seem to be the main components here, although the musk is present in the base. Really, I find Musc Ravageur to be remarkably similar to Shalimar, and I would recommend the eau de parfum of the latter over a bottle of the former if one were to choose a between the two. Musc Ravageur is a good scent, but I don't think it quite lives up to the hype bestowed upon it.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Oh, why does this have to be part of Creed's "private collection?" I would buy a smaller bottle of this in an instant. Selection Verte opens with a blast of citrus and mint that smells incredibly natural and refreshing. As it dries down, the citrus subsides, and the mint and sweet pea become the focus of scent until it fades away all too quickly. Green, citrus-y, cool, and natural, Selection Verte is a superb warm-weather fragrance and one of Creed's better offerings in general.

Pi by Givenchy

Pi is a very sweet fragrance, but I don't find it overly so; I've tried far sweeter (A*men comes to mind). It also has acquired somewhat of a reputation for being a vanilla overload, but I also don't believe this to be the case. Vanilla is prominently featured, but I think the pyramid describes Pi fairly accurately; it starts out with a blast of citrus over the vanilla, and as the fragrance dries down, wood takes the place of the citrus notes and complements the vanilla. Pi is excellent in cold weather; admittedly, it does seem a bit on the synthetic side, and far better vanilla scents (Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, etc.) exist. However, for the price range it's in, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a much better vanilla-based fragrance.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma Colonia is a classic, and deservedly so - its citrus/floral combination is among the best I've smelled. Although it is almost a century old, I don't find it to be dated; while some scents even from the 80s garner "old man" remarks from my fellow 20-something-year-olds, I feel sophisticated, rather than archaic, while wearing this. I would probably own a full bottle if it didn't disappear so quickly; nevertheless, fans of classic citruses should probably give this one a look.

Happy for Men by Clinique

Sometimes I find I need something light and simple to spray on and create a pleasant aura of freshness around me; Happy for men fits this bill quite nicely. Although one might argue that the majority of modern designer releases serve this purpose, Happy's orange-y, aquatic aroma is simply more pleasurable to me than most other citrus fragrances. It's nothing earth-shattering, but one doesn't have to smell earth-shattering to smell good!

13 August, 2009

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

This really doesn't smell like any Creed to me; however, I do find that Wall Street smells like a higher-quality Unforgivable with cucumber thrown in. It's certainly pleasant, and I would wear it if given a bottle, but I would not purchase it for myself, particularly at Bond's prices.

Edit: Well, I thought I had this one figured out, but Wall Street has grown on me in a big way during my last few wearings. I suppose I was trying too hard to relate it to other fragrances instead of judging it on its own merits. Although certain notes bring to mind other scents, as a whole, I find Wall Street to be unique. The cucumber and ozonic notes give it a "crisper" feel than others, while I also detect a melon note that gives it some added depth. While fairly linear, it lasts a long time. Thumbs up.

12 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Millesime Imperial is a bit difficult for me to review. The sample that convinced me to buy a full bottle and the actual bottle I purchased are clearly the same scent, but the two developed very differently on my skin. In both cases, however, Millesime Imperial opens with wonderful, rich, melon accord with a bit of salt water thrown in. This top is the best I've experienced in any fragrance as of this writing. As the scent dries down, it becomes warmer until it eventually settles into the typical Creed ambergris base. So, why the neutral? The top and heart notes in my sample lasted a good few hours on me - after three or so, I could still smell waves of fresh and slightly warm melon periodicallly. However, in my bottle, the scent went straight to the base after a mere half hour, and I don't find the ambergris base particularly compelling; indeed, it even seems somewhat out of place in a scent that is otherwise fruity and slightly aquatic. This could easily be a thumbs up if I could consistently find bottles similar to my sample, but as the one I purchased was one from the newest batch, I can't in good faith give Millesime Imperial more than a neutral at this time.

12 August, 2009

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Nothing groundbreaking here, but an excellent scent nonetheless. Attitude is a very well blended fragrance; although I can pick out coffee and lemon, the general impression I get is a clean, woody gourmand scent that doesn't have any notes really sticking out. Comparisons to other fragrances such as B*Men are valid, but I find Attitude to be much smoother, less brash, and more enjoyable than Mugler's creation. All in all, Attitude probably won't shock anyone, but as far as simply smelling really good goes, it fulfills its purpose admirably.

Encre Noire by Lalique

Encre Noire is simply an excellent vetiver. Very appropriately named, Encre Noire starts dark and stays that way; the vetiver is black and earthy throughout. I don't mind the linearity, as the fragrance smells fantastic and conjures up some very vivid scent associations - to me, this smells just like the inside of an old, dimly lit, wooden church. Though it wears close to the skin, Encre Noire lasts all day on me, and the gorgeous bottle is an added bonus. Now, if Lalique would just release the eau de parfum at a reasonable price...

Black Aoud by Montale

Black Aoud is certainly a "try-before-you-buy" scent (though, that really applies to all fragrances). The oud-rose combination just comes across as too harsh and medicinal for me to enjoy. It doesn't seem to develop much, either. However, the sillage and lasting power of this are superb, so if you are a fan, you should be able to get a lot of mileage out of a bottle. I'm glad I tried Black Aoud, but I don't like it.

11th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2006 by Issey Miyake

I assume most looking into a flanker of L'eau D'issey pour homme are familiar with the original, so I won't go into much detail about that particular scent. This summer edition retains the general character of the original, which I find to be among the finest aquatic scents available; this, however, is lighter and more citrus-y. It may not be different enough to warrant a purchase for some, but it is great for those days when the original may seem a bit overbearing.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water is my personal favorite Creed fragrance, and any lover of clean, fresh fragrances would do well to give it a try. The blackcurrant and tea combination is remarkably uplifting, and the subtle "ink" note gives the composition some extra depth; it's really a unique-smelling blend, and it even smells quite natural. Additionally, Silver Mountain Water lasts for the better part of the day on me; while it doesn't have immense projection, I tend to get whiffs of it throughout the day, which I find to be very pleasurable. If you're looking for something fresh but unique and long-lasting, Silver Mountain Water is well worth the investment.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Well...I'm glad that so many seem to love this, but Muscs Koublai Khan is the first fragrance that I've had to scrub off. The fecal note in this is just too strong for me to tolerate. I am not a musk fan, though, so this is definitely worth trying out!