Reviews by edshepp

edshepp's avatar
    edshepp

Cumming by Alan Cumming

OK, I just tried this again today. I tried it years ago. And really, I shouldn't be reviewing something that I just tried today, as I don't feel like I "know" it, but here's my quick impression:

First sniff: phenolic, burnt wood note. It reminds me of the leather fragrance I bought from The Good Scents Company. It also reminds me of a Bois 1920 scent which has the same phenolic character. The burnt-ness reads as leather. Wasn't crazy about that.

As it dried down, to me it seemed almost completely a leather scent--it got softer, a little oily maybe, kinda chemical and then inky. I loved it; I wanted it; but I'd just gotten Bel Ami a few months ago and Yatagan a few days ago. I couldn't buy another scent. Besides, it seemed like something good for layering, but maybe not as a dazzling main scent.

But the more I smelled that inky, chemical leather, the more I kept thinking, "I could make this." And if I could find some kind of castoreum or an extreme, extreme dilution of something grotesque like skatole, I could make it even "dirtier." I thought, "I could use that leather scent from tGSC and the oil called Baseball Glove by Christopher Brosius, which smells like chemical leather (and when I blended it with something--I think a caramel note--it smelled like just-washed hair)."

So of course when I read the notes here, and that it was a collaboration with Christopher Brosius, I wasn't surprised. And to be honest, when I think CB I think bullshit. Go to his store in Brooklyn and look at his "absolutes," which are all crystal clear and have the same viscosity. I think it's misleading to call something an absolute when it appears to be something ordered from a chemical company and diluted in something ending in "glycol." Also, what exactly is "white truffle"?? Isn't the smell of truffles androstenone and androstedienone?? It's a chemical found in human male sweat (2/3 of people can smell it and rate it with terms like "urinous, sweaty, chemical, woody"; 1/3 of people, who have a slightly different genetic makeup, rate it as pleasant and vanillic). It's also a pig pheromone, and it's used in stuff called "Boar Spray." I saw a can of this spray at a presentation by the New York Academy of Sciences.

At any rate, I like it as a leather. I wish the top note wasn't so burnt, and I wish there was just more to it.

And I wish "fragrance marketing" would go away.

04 January, 2009

Realm Women by Realm Fragrances

I think this fragrance is fantastic. I love the candy-sweet, children's aspirin/cough drop topnote, and the floral body and tangy base just make it. It's pretty strong and probably too sweet for most, but I find it incredible. Personally I doubt that the 'pheromones' in it do what they claim (increase confidence?), but the fragrance itself is pleasant enough that it doesn't matter.

03 November, 2004

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

Admittedly, the bottle is ridiculous. Ditto for the ad campaign. And it is extremely floral, intense and some might say cloying. I happen to like it, but I can see why others wouldn't. Don't think of Renuzit while you're smelling it.

03 November, 2004

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I like it quite a lot. At first sniff, it smells like those great woody notes that open Joseph Abboud, only without the not-so-pleasant drydown.

27 September, 2004