Reviews by schumi

Original Santal by Creed

Although it's a very sweet fragrance, it's not cloying at all. I just love this kind of sweetness... very refined and comfortable. Nothing artificial, nothing synthetic, everything natural. A great scent, suitable for cooler months.

Himalaya by Creed

A wonderful scent! Along side Green Irish Tweed and maybe Millesime Imperial, the best Creed I've tried so far. Many Creed fragrances have a rather powdery drydown, which is not bad at all, but sometimes it can become a bit too sweet. Himalaya is somewhat different, the drydown is sweet and green at the same time, giving it a very light and elegant allure. The mid notes resemble those of Original Santal: warm and very, very comfortable. Overall, a perfectly balanced fragrance, suitable for almost any occasion. One of perfumery's finest!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

The eponymous of elegance and style. A rightfully favourite among the high class, this unparalleled luxurious fragrance goes well with an Armani suit, a Rolex watch and a Rolls Royce limousine. Certainly a gentlemen only fragrance.

Alongside Antaeus and Paco Rabanne PH, the best classical fragrance.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

An elegant and very refined fragrance. Definitely green, but not sharp and loud as most of the green scents... this is clean and comfortable. I like it a lot, it's formal, classy and very complex.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

It's not all bad... but there is something about it that makes me vomit. If you stick your nose in an urinal, you'll smell Kouros. Dreadful! I can't imagine how this is YSL's best selling fragrance...

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

This is probably the most feminine smell of a masculine fragrance. When I first tried this, I was actually sure that there was also a feminine version of Egoiste and that I must have taken that bottle by mistake. It had to be, this couldn't have been a masculine scent. When I realized this was actually a men fragrance, I tried to figure out what the people from Chanel were thinking when they came up with this scent, but I couldn't...

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Not much to add here... A classic by all means: conservative, sober, elegant. My only problem with this kind of fragrances is that you can find plenty of other that smell almost identical (in this case, Ungaro II would be an obvious example. Of course, CPM had been launched long before Ungaro II, so we can say that Ungaro II has copied CPM). Anyway, back in 1955 this must have been a hit.

I crave for deep, complex scents... Although I did not find in CPM what I like the most in a fragrance, I did find what I was expecting: a well balanced, high quality, classical scent. Nothing more, nothing less.

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus is the incarnate elegance and style. Worn by the high class dandy, this is the classic scent of a true gentleman. The mix of woods and herbs is nearly perfect, which is why Antaeus is, at least for me, a bit hard to dissect. But I find no need of analyzing its constituents, Antaeus must be experienced as a whole, as an intellectual and emotional enlightenment.

Antaeus is, alongside Van Cleef & Arpels PH and Paco Rabanne PH, the supreme classic fragrance.

Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

A very light and refined fragrance. One of the most interesting male florals, it is a good choice almost anytime, anywhere. It lacks the depth and complexity of other florals, such as Ungaro III, yet I don't think it was designed to compete with them. This is easy, straight forward, with no shades at all. It was meant to be as simple as possible, yet refined enough to make a difference. It's a morale booster, a joyful scent, just like the one who wears it.
29th April, 2008

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

I had rather high expectations from this one, but I was utterly disappointed. This is one of the most common and cheap-smelling fragrances I've ever encountered. There's just nothing special about it, nothing enjoyable, not to mention anything refined or sophisticated. The only positive thing about this fragrance is the bottle, which I have to say is splendid. If you want something really complex and highly sophisticated, go for THE masterpiece of perfumery, Ungaro III (or Ungaro I if you can find it).
14th January, 2008

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

A great fragrance, I think it has the best usage of spices ever. The opening has a lovely fresh-spicy scent (I can smell the pepper immediately, it's not necessarily a mid-note ingredient), while the warm drydown is a pure joy. A must have.
12th January, 2008

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

A typical Cartier fragrance, although I was rather disappointed by what it should have been the icon of the Cartier male fragrances. The sweet and fruity notes are not bad, but the overall scent is just too cold, diminishing the great potential of its high quality ingredients.
12th January, 2008

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Awful! Like Joop!, this one is a candy store in a bottle. I like sweet fragrances, but I don't want to smell like bonbons. The magnetic scent, not a very good idea either, it makes it very artificial.

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Not a bad fragrance, but not great either. The sweet and smoky notes don't complement each other very good, so that oftentimes it seems too smoky and smother.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

By far the best Guerlain, this is a highly elegant and sophisticated fragrance. One of the richest and most complex scents, this multi-faced fragrance never ceases to amaze me. Sweet and woody at the same time, it's perfect for a gentleman's signature. A great modern symbol of the legendary House of Guerlain.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Very disappointing, a boring and common marine scent. It's not unwearable, but there's just nothing special about this fragrance at all.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A very nice oriental scent. The citrus opening is not at all acrid like in many other fragrances, but very soft and pleasant. The warmth of the fragrance kicks in immediately, giving it a sensual allure. The mid notes become spicier (a characteristic of many Armani perfumes), but not over the top, so that the olive flower remains very noticeable. The blend of the ingredients is just right, making it one of the best Armani fragrances.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I don't know whether to like this fragrance or not... On one hand it really seems elegant and even refined, on the other hand it's the coldest smell I've ever encountered in a perfume. It's like spraying your refrigerator... That I don't like, I rather enjoy the sweet, warm and balsamic scents that don't give the unpleasant freezing sensation.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

The opening has a very nice citrus scent (the grapefruit is dominant and has a very pleasant sweet note), but hen it settles down to a rather artificial smell. There's just too much candy aroma in there, especially for a summer fragrance.

Pi by Givenchy

The biggest problem isn't that there is too much vanilla in this fragrance, but rather that sometimes it seems that's the only thing there is. However, I still think it's a good fragrance with a great potential that hasn't been used at it's maximum level. This scent is right on the edge of becoming cloyingly sweet, but it manages to stay on the safe side. It's the sweetest bearable and enjoyable perfume. It's warmth not only makes it proper for winter, but actually it's the only season in which you can wear it. Any attempt to wear this perfume in the summer will result in the intoxication of those near you... it's that sweet! However, for colder days this is a good choice.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This daring oriental fragrance has one of the best mixes of sweet and spicy scents, making it very suitable for autumn and winter. It's not for everyone, as it's very different from all the classic scents, but if you are the person who doesn't want to stick with the bunch and to be "the guy who smells really interesting", this is a great choice.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Pretty good, the sweetness is nice and quite well blended with the other aromas. However, there is something that makes it smell rather dirty and cloying.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

One of the best gourmand scents, sweet and edible, but very comfortable and smooth. Not a very pretentious fragrance, I find it suitable for casual wear. Overall, it's very nice, but not as good as Rochas Man.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Absolutely dreadful!!! It's like smelling a entire candy store condensed in a bottle. Also very, very artificial. I really can't see a man wearing this fragrance.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

A very nice fragrance for the younger generation, this is perfect for summer wear. The smell of oranges is the best I've encountered so far. It's very citrusy, but not too sharp, very clean and luminous and very... Armani.

Black by Bulgari

A great fragrance, though not necessarily unisex, it's rather masculine. Alongside Boucheron Jaipur and Rochas Man, the best sweet fragrance. The smoke and rubber scents aren't what you would normally expect, they are very subtle and veiled perfectly in a sweet and warm aroma. The touch of tea is also very noticeable, giving this fragrance a rather poetic allure. The bottle however, is horrible, it looks like it was made by someone who was in a hurry to catch a train and didn't have time to pay any attention to details. I've tried four bottles from different places and all of them were broken. This makes me think that maybe this fragrance turned out to be great by accident. But overall, this is one of the best scents you can find.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Boucheron is one of my favourite perfume designers. With Jaipur being the masterpiece of the oriental scents, I had great expectations for this one. I wasn't disappointed, but because it was such different from Jaipur, I realized that I'm not going to wear it at this age. It's very mature and masculine, and also very, very elegant and sophisticated. It is in the same category as other rich and complex classics, such as Armani pour Homme or Chanel pour Monsieur.

Armani Eau pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A wonderful fragrance! A true classic, this is the hight of timeless elegance. The lemon-citrus opening might be a bit too sharp, but then it settles down to a very warm and smooth scent. Resembling Chanel Pour Monsieur, this complex and sophisticated scent is perfect for formal occasions. Undoubtedly created for gentlemen, this fragrance is suitable for people over 40 years old only.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The top notes contain a nice citrus aroma, especially orange. In the mid notes, the smell becomes sweeter but the orange remains noticeable. Although a blend of orange and sweetness is one of my favourite aromas, the mix in this fragrance results in a rather lolly pop smell which I don't find very masculine.
10th January, 2008

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior says this one will become a new classic. It's not classic at all, it's very different (but not necessarily "good" different) from anything else. The initial burst is one of the few smells that can make me sick instantaneously. But the drydown is way better. The mix of flowers and sweetness is well balanced, with the iris being on center stage. The biggest problem though is that it smells very, very artificial, while the beauty of a perfume are it's natural ingredients. I agree with those saying it's mid notes smell like a make-up bag, but the base notes are much more flowery and gentle.
10th January, 2008