Reviews by lookingglass

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Sexy man's chest hair: sweet, damp, and musky.

10th January, 2011

No. 5 by Chanel

I am currently wearing the EDT on one wrist and the EDP on the other. They smell like completely different fragrances on me!

EDT: aldehydes and peach sparkle. It takes much longer to get to the drydown than the EDP, seeming like the summer version. I never smell just the heart of the flowers in the EDT-it has quite a zing all the way down. Reminds me of how Le Dix is so aldehyde-y (but with violets). I wore this in high school but I don't remember the peach. The never ending reformulation speculation continues...

EDP: My current #5 preference. This is how rose and jasmine are DONE. The top is much less intense, and is dries down quickly to a lush, slightly sweet, soft floral, with powdery woods. This is what I imagine fields in Grasse to smell like through an open window in a quaint cottage. I do not find it "too classy", "old fashioned", "too dressed up", etc. I could wear this anytime, anywhere and feel lovely. This scent is ALIVE! With all of the "new-modern" roses comming out (YSL, D&G) I am hoping that #5 gets revisited.

10th November, 2009

No. 5 by Chanel

10th November, 2009

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

Launched the year of my birth, this scent takes me all the way back and into the present-bohemians getting dressed up. I remember this scent filling the house when company was comming over. It is approachable, friendly, and earthy.

28th October, 2009

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

28th October, 2009

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

It may be sacreligious to say, but The One reminds me of Coco all dried out with some peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream! I reach for The One when Coco is just a little too serious, when I still want something dense and rich and mature smelling, but just a little more fun. I'd have to say she my favorite fruity floral. That peach-vanilla musk combo makes me weak in the knees!

27th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th November, 2009)

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

27th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th November, 2009)

Angel by Thierry Mugler

For all the gourmond notes it smells amazingly complex and oriental to me, not like food. It is fresh, sweet and earthy. The feel of this scent is transformative-used in moderation it could be worn in just about any situation. Children, men and women adore it and complement me regularly.

03rd July, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th September, 2009)

Samsara by Guerlain

I have no idea why it has taken me so long to try this fragrance! It is truly lovely, heady and exotic. Perhaps I thought it was one of those classic fragrances that I just didn't feel "ready" for, being in my early thirties (Shalimar, Youth Dew, etc). I love classic fragrances but am a bit too bohemian to think I can pull them off. Samsara is definately wearable for me. My husband says it smells like me when I'm "going out with a long dress, hair pulled back tight". It starts out with jasmine dominating and for a long time that is all I can smell. The drydown, though, is complex Guerlain-aid with powder and sweet woods. Divine.

03rd July, 2009

Angel by Thierry Mugler

03rd July, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th September, 2009)

Samsara by Guerlain

03rd July, 2009

Unconditional Love by Philosophy

I really like this scent as a lotion. Falling in Love is a bit deeper than this. UL seems like a summertime version: black currants, white flowers, and a vanilla musk drydown. This is as "clean" smelling as I get. The children really like it, which is nice because I work with children but don't want to smell like one myself. Unassuming but lovely.

02nd July, 2009

Unconditional Love by Philosophy

02nd July, 2009

Cristobal by Balenciaga

This is my new fall work fragrance. The zesty green fig notes say "I'm ready for business!" and the vanilla/woods are warm and approchable. The floral notes add a touch of romance and priss. The fig is very green like in BPAL's Eden. Someone said it smells like figgy creme brule, but these figs are are a technicolor image of a fresh fig skin, not cooked, creamy, brown figs. For $14 it can't be beat!

19th November, 2008

Cristobal by Balenciaga

19th November, 2008

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Fantastic frag...I am glad I am right on the bandwagon with this one. It is very wearable for a "modern" frag in my book. The patchouli is a bit "clean" but with the white flowers smells very much like an osmanthus acord. Lovely, light, but still earthy. Bohemian chic at its finest. I must have a big bottle straight away.

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

This seemed fruity to me at first sniff...perhaps it is the combination of sweet florals with vanilla. The mid notes smell like cheap Ici (why do so many fragrances lately remind me of Ici?...). The drydown is a sweeter version of Kingdom: rosey and smokey cumin-ish note. I like it alright, it just seems a bit jumbled.

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Bijan Black for Women by Bijan

I had to finally ask a woman at work what fragrance she wore because she absolutely smells DIVINE! Happens it was this one. You know, I saw it at the duty free and just didn't know anything about it so I didn't try it, but that little black bottle is a temptress and has haunted me ever since. What a little sleeper. An oriental that is approachable, soft, warm and not too fruity. It is sophisticated without being too stuffy. I don't know if I will wear it myself, but I sure do enjoy it. The sillage wafts all around the building and is a pleasure to walk through. I will just have to follow my co-worker around for a while!

13th November, 2008

Bijan Black for Women by Bijan

13th November, 2008

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I screamed out loud when I saw this frag at Sephora. I have almost bought it blind several times. Initally the neroli almost made me want to scrub it off. I have learned to breathe through those inital blasts calmly, though (with my wrist held away from my face). Drying down Iris tamed herself demurely, the roots and incense being at once fresh and transparent but giving body to the fragrance. Dry, she is mearly a powdery version of her self, and having applied liberally, it lasted several hours on my skin and over 24 hours on the test strip. While it is a light fragrance it is a bright one, something I would save for when I wanted to feel refreshed, but still with Oriental overtones (a must for my tastes). It is very much what I wanted Guerlain's Fig Iris to smell like, which I did not buy b/c of the heavy grapefruit note. I will be buying a bottle of this for the warmer months.

Magie Noire by Lancôme

DH jokingly says this makes me smell like a Satanist: dark, dangerous, sleek and sensual. It suggests to me that it may just be possible to personify a Godiva dark chocolate raspberry cordial with rose syrup.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Magie Noire by Lancôme

Coup de Fouet by Caron

I love the drydown of Coup de Fouet. It is so very Caron: a dark floriental, slightly powdery, mossy and sweet. For the first hour or so it is CLOOOOOV-ey, like biting on whole cloves. I almost washed it off at first because it seemed so overwhelmingly clove. Bellodgia remains my favorite Caron, and carnation, to date, but this is her bossy great auntie.

28th October, 2008

Coup de Fouet by Caron

28th October, 2008

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

I was not expecting to like this, but I really kind of do...for summer...and only sometimes. I am not a big citrus and herbs lover in my perfume, but I had to try SJP. This scent goes on green, sour and sharp (kkkkklllchh!), that reminds me of limes, but dries out to a hot, dry amber like Gap White Amber and ever so more of a stretch...SL Meil de Bois, but more green, wearable and refreshing. It dosn't stay green or get too "dirty" like most of the classic "green"s do on me. I think I will buy a bottle in the Spring.

04th October, 2008

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

04th October, 2008

Hervé Léger by Hervé Léger

This smells like Burberry and Poeme together on me. Not exactly the most innovative scent on the market. It has that fresh, sweet, fruity vanilla floral thing going on.

13th September, 2008