Reviews by Allen-on-Holiday

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar
    Allen-on-Holiday

Flight by Michael Jordan

The notes sound good, and the opening is nice, but smells like every other fragrance out there. After 5 minutes, can barely smell anything. Save your $20, there are better drugstore scents than this.

24th June, 2012

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I cannot believe all the negative reviews. Platinum is the fragrance by which I judge all OTHER fragrances. Dry, spicy, and unique, what more could you ask from a fragrance?

18th December, 2011

Midnight Pomegranate by Bath and Body Works

The opening notes are wonderful, it's a shame the basenotes ruin it. Imagine dark fruit (not real pomegranate, but something better). Smells "purple" to me. It's really shameful that so many wonderful fragrances are ruined by basenotes of musk and vanilla (and tobacco in this one!). Drydown smells like a very cheap ladies perfume. But the first few minutes are unique.

The above review is from years ago. Yes, the first few minutes are amazing, but the drydown isn't as bad as I originally thought. This unisex fragrance is definitely something every other guy out there isn't wearing. And often I smell quite a bit of cinnamon in it. In fact, if it weren't for the tobacco leaf (not tobacco) and patchouli (and anise is listed), it would be too feminine to wear, in my opinion. However, "Midnight" Pomegranate is actually more of a bright, daytime scent.

15th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2014)

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I just don't get it: at first sniff, it smells nice enough, but later becomes almost plastic-like (yes, I tried it on my skin). I wanted to like it, but I just can't see spending money on it... I'm sure there are "drugstore" fragrances that are better.

01st September, 2006

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I completely agree with the descriptions, "toxic" and "chemical" because, to me, it smells EXACTLY like insect spray, no joke.

UPDATE: The above review was years ago. I have worn it since, and it's quite nice. Reminds me of Paris Hilton for men, only better.

27th August, 2006 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2015)

Oceanus by Body Shop

Only yesterday I discovered that Oceanus from the Body Shop, which is "for men or women", smells EXACTLY like Rimmel's London Glam for women. It's too strong and soapy for me, and reminds me of a cheap perfume.

22nd April, 2006

London Glam by Rimmel London

Only yesterday I discovered that Rimmel's London Glam for women smells EXACTLY like Oceanus from the Body Shop, which is "for men or women". It's too strong and soapy for me, and reminds me of a cheap perfume.

22nd April, 2006

Voyage by Nautica

When I first tested this on a little strip of paper at Ulta, I was surprised at such a pleasant smell: it doesn't smell anything like the overly-salty original. I think it might smell a little like Bulgari Aqua (I would have to smell Aqua again to be sure), but I'm sure Voyage is a better scent. The opening notes are wonderful!

16th April, 2006

Javari by Body Shop

When I read about this fragrance at the Body Shop website, I was attracted to the pepper and ginger notes: but after testing it at a nearby mall, it dries down to nothing more than soap and something that smells like cedar to me (possibly the nutmeg): it was enough to give me a headache. Reminded me of Mambo, another soapy scent not worth mentioning. Quite a disappointment.

21st December, 2005

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Pepper and tea bags: that's all I smell. Usually, I like pepper scents... but only if they're well-blended with other scents. This one's very dry and boring.

The review above was done years ago. I have since changed my mind. What was once "dry and boring" to me is now quite nice, especially with that lemony opening, although lemon isn't one of the notes (but orange is).

02nd October, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2013)

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

When I first tested this scent, my immediate reaction was "That's really different!", which it is. But then I realized what an odd smell it was, and couldn't place my finger on what I was actually smelling. So I forgot about it for a few weeks. But after reading a description of it, and discovering it has cayenne pepper, fig, and honey in it, I was curious. And when I saw several 5 oz bottles on sale at $4.77 at the local discount store, I bought one. (I can't resist those minis on sale.) Well, I'm wearing it right now... and the smell is almost overwhelming. (Is that the rum?) I love the name "Spark", and I love the deep, rich color of the liquid, but I must admit the smell is a little bit sickening! I think it would be much better without the rum or the cognac. Pass this one by, and get Spark Seduction instead: although they share the same name, Seduction is a slightly better scent, and you won't smell like the town drunk.

26th September, 2005 (Last Edited: 19th August, 2012)

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I tried Jaipur the other day, and thought it smelled pretty good. But I tried it again today, and as it dried down, all I could smell was vanilla. If I wanted to smell like pure vanilla, I would try to find "Raw Vanilla" or something much cheaper. Feel free to buy Jaipur is you want an expensive vanilla overdose.

24th September, 2005

Brut Actif Blue by Fabergé

Before it was discontinued, I used to wear the deodorant, and, although it was a little strong, I really liked it. I believe I have seen this scent as a bodywash at Walmart, Target, etc.

24th September, 2005

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I have read all the reviews about it smelling like pencil shavings, and I noticed that, too, but I don't that's a bad thing. This seems like a classy fragrance (or have I been fooled by the name?), although the drydown of musk and vanilla has too much vanilla in it for my taste. Either way, it's spicy and woody, and that's good. I would prefer it without the vanilla, but with cinnamon instead: now THAT would be masculine! --Allen-at-home

21st September, 2005

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

When I tried "Soul by Curve" today, I knew it was a Liz Claiborne scent... but it reminded me of something else... and then, I realized what: the drydown smells like Bora Bora, which I already have, so I saved my money.

18th September, 2005

Spark Seduction for Men by Liz Claiborne

I don't know what the notes in Spark Seduction are, but I got some of this sprayed on my hand today and realized it reminds me of 2 other fragrances: Burberry London, and Lacoste "Style in Play" (the red one), so I think there's cinnamon in it. It didn't last long, and both Lacoste and London seem to be better scents.

18th September, 2005

Stetson Black by Stetson

When I tried "Stetson Black" at a local discount store, I didn't expect too much, being another Coty drugstore fragrance. From the bottle, it smells peppery, sensual, and mysterious... very nice! But the second it touched my skin, it smelled completely different. Too bad it's not the same on skin (at least, MY skin). I wish a better fragrance house would take these same notes and make it with better ingredients, I would certainly buy it.

10th September, 2005 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2012)

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I would describe this scent as "mediocre": nothing special, nothing to remember. I expected more from Ralph Lauren... especially since I was a huge fan of the original green. I will save my money for something with a little more personality.

04th September, 2005

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Safari has been one of my VERY favorites for years. How can eucalyptus, cinnamon, and vetiver together be bad? Sniffing a paper card can't reveal it's depth: it must be worn.

04th September, 2005

Horizon by Guy Laroche

It sounds wonderful, although I have never smelled it, so I can't honestly rate it "good". But with grapefruit, mandarin, and mint as topnotes, how could it be bad? This is now on my wish-list.

03rd September, 2005

Woodhue for Men by Fabergé

It's been probably 20 years since I have smelled this one, but I remember liking it; would love to smell it again.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I must admit it's been a few years since I wore Polo Sport, but, as I recall, it was so sickeningly sweet that I actually got nauseous while wearing it.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

This scent reminds me of warm gingerbread cookies in wintertime... but I don't know why: as far as I know, there's not any ginger in it.

Quasar by J del Pozo

This Quasar by J del Pozo(not to be confused with the other one by the same name which I haven't tried) reminds me of Chrome: both are light and wispy. In fact, I had to use quite a bit of Quasar to smell it on myself, and even then it faded away too early. Although I wish it were stronger, the smell of banana peels and newsprint is definitely unique, and nice enough to wear daily. I can live with it or without it.

28th August, 2005 (Last Edited: 06th November, 2005)