Reviews by eric

eric's avatar
    eric
    Netherlands Netherlands

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

A beauty, what more can I say.A rose for men , yet wearable and masculine.
    Read the positive comments below and skip the negative ones, and then for pete´s sake, order this while you can! And if you´re still dissapointed, send your bottle to me.

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

It´s bloody marvelous! It keeps on changing on my skin and the stayingpower is great. One of the best Vetivers I own, together with Frederick Malles Vetiver Extraordinaire and Floris Vetiver. Big thumbs up!

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This resembles Le Male? wel duh!, hence the name. While playing with the title of Baudelaires book, it's basically meant as a flowery version of Le Male and it succeeded at that IMO, but it is also a wearable one ,for men. If this is going to replace the nr.1 selling Le Male of the charts in Europe, I wouldn't complain for sure. Le Male wasn't a succes (weird bottle) at the time when it was released and look at it now.
    At the same time I wonder if Fleur du Male will have that same succes, but for now I rather wear this one,for one,because it's easier to wear for me and two, everyone else wears Le Male already.
    I don't get the " synthetic" comments at all, but I'm guessing people think that because of the sharp , flowery start of the fragrance. The Cologne version is the same , without the sweet vanilla and maybe a bit more wearable. Brilliant stuff! Hats off to Gaultier and Francis Kurkdjian.

Antico Caruso by Profumum

Not bad, a comforting fragrance, but I can´t deny it´s a shameless copy of Gaultiers "Le Male". You can smell it´s made of high quality ingredients (whatever that means),but it also costs a 160 euro. My advice,buy the original, if you want to smell like Le Male.

17th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2010)

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Dissapointing ,synthetic calone bomb. Estee Lauder has such good examples in Tom Fords fragrances and DK Fuel for men,which they even re-released. So why bother to come up with this boring crap? One Acqua Di Gio is enough, and that one was even better. Thumbs down.

28th June, 2009

Only The Brave by Diesel

The scent itself is not that bad actualy and more original than Fuel for Life.
    When that first anoying fruity start goes away ,the drydown is more than ok.
    The bottle design doesn´t suit my taste, but at the same time I like the blue color of the glass. Diesel is a brand famous for it´s ugly but original bottles and there are boring bottles enough in the world.
    The fragrance reminded me of the discontinued Hugo Boss Elements Acqua (blue bottle) which brings back some (good) memories. With that in mind, and compared to recent designer releases a small thumbs up.

20th June, 2009

Ambra Aurea by Profumum

I agree with the former reviews, it´s very close to Ambre Sultan,a very warm, dense amber scent. Not sure which I prefer a the moment though.It´s pretty much Amber, and nothing more. That would be too much.
    I can only wear this on cold days, it´s too heavy for me on warm days, it can get very cloying. Also, this scent last forever on me (like most of the Profumums I tried). A must try for hardcore Amber fans. Makes me wonder about Fiore d´Ambre. Still, a neutral rating for me, cause I can´t find a lot occasions to wear this.

27th May, 2009

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very nice, minty fresh with a warm musky base.
    Adictive stuff.Also it is very much a skin scent,maybe due to the white musks added. People who are anosmic to musk,..hmmm.On my skin it evolves and changes fast.Then fresh, then warm, some mint, a bit flowery.
    Geranium pour Monsieur does have a realistic toothpaste minty note , but a very a subtle one though. The minty note comes and goes during the fragrance.
    But if you don´t like mint, than I´m afraid Geranium pour Monsieur will not be for you. Compared to excisting men fragrances out there, this is differend enough but not too much like some niche releases.
    His former release was way too weird and feminine for me. With this one my faith in this line is restored again. Simple but beautifull, just what I look for in a fragrance.

24th May, 2009

Scent 79 for Men by Jil Sander

In 79 Jil Sander released her first Womans perfume and in '81 her first mens, Man Pure. Scent 79 is a rework by Marc Buxton of the original Man pure.To be honest, from what I can remember, I wouldn't know now , what the difference is between this and the original Man pure, cause at this moment I don't own the original anymore. But I will try to get it soon.
    Fans of Mark Buxton will maybe recognise where he has ad his modernism touch compared to the original.
    Anyway, in short , I love this. To me it's a less harsh Chanel Anteus and longer lasting. A woody, leather chypre with green flower elements.
    It has topnotes of Angelika root then incense.In the middle floral notes of jasmine , violet wood and orris concrete. The base has leather, sandelwood and vetiver.
    An 80s powerhouse fougere, chypre,scent translated into modern times. Lovers of Anteus, Tom Ford Extreme, DK Fuel have to try this, when they get the chance. It's an edp and it's released in a 125ml bottle.

17th October, 2008

Original Vetiver by Creed

I've been wearing this a lot since it's release in 2004. Although slightly anoyed at first by it's resemblence to TMC I tried to ignore OV ,but I stil couldn't let this go. I kept on using it and bit by bit I've grown to love it big time. Also the difference's to TMC are more obvious to me than they were then. I prefer this one.It's a superb, green,clean smelling vetiver. Not earthy, but fresh leaves. It's springtime in a bottle. Wonderfull!

16th May, 2007

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Unlike anything I have smelled before. Like said before it's all there. The spices, the smokyness,not unlike CdG's Avignon, which creates the dry "dessertair"like feel.
    The sweet , ambery tones , combined with the citrus. It all blends very well and leaves an incredible wonderfull smokey, ambery layer on your skin. It's definately more suitable for men, to me.

11th November, 2006

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

First reaction was, Oh my god!! Wanted to grab the fire extuinguisher and put the fire out!! I was shocked and intruiged at the same time.This is one weird scent!! Made me think of Annick Goutals Eau du Fier for a moment .
    Do I like it, do I hate it? Wow!. It's leather alright, or is the birchtar? or a combination? wow. Really special. Quickly after the intense (or should I say, scary? ) , it becomes heaven. Oh yes. I love it. That wonderfull mix of the dry leathery notes combined with a very classic base. The rough cowboy changes into a distinguished gentleman. That base of tonka, vetiver and sandalwood. Wonderfull.!!
    The mix of dry leather and the woody base linger on the skin for a long time. This perfume is getting adictive , especially with colder, x-mass day coming!

31st October, 2006

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Another scent , that got really bad reviews here , before it was even launched. Must be something wrong with me, cause man, I like it. I love the shaving cream smell in this one.
    What's with all this semi intelectual talk about this "not being balanced" and all.
    I agree, it's not "inventive" like "l'eau de animalfur" with popcorn , nor does it smell like chocolate, vanilla icecream,with whalevomit, but who cares.
    It's a very minimalistic, fougere type fragrance.
    I really gonna get me a bottle of this for sure.

20th September, 2006

Geir by Geir Ness

Reading all the raving reviews on BN I was expecting a super fragrance, so I blindordered this. I was really underwhelmed. It smelled not bad , but not great either.And way too synthetic and loud. I really don't get the edp classification also, cause this one lasts a regular 3 hrs on me. If this was a new Hugo Boss release , I'm sure this was less popular over here.I'm one of the few that rather wears Allure Sport instead. IMO just another overhyped,overrated fragrance here on Basenotes.

18th August, 2006

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

As an admirer of sweet orientals and Francis Kurkdjian I like both versions but the pure blend is more rich and warm.The cinnamon and the benzoin make it more intense and sweet. Love it !

12th August, 2006

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

My favorite hot weather scent. Green and lemony. In fact ,easy to wear, all year round.

13th June, 2006

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Love it! Very original ,fruity,spicy topnotes. I only wish they lasted a bit longer. Dries down into an average , "Black codish" scent.Ultra masculine bottle .Still remains one of my favorites. Lookin out for his next one.

29th May, 2006

Corduroy by Zirh

I love this stuff. A bit spicy,but smooth, gourmandlike scent of cinnamon , but still masculine and not too sweet. Well balanced, I only wish it was a bit stronger though. Not bad.

21st May, 2006

Original Santal by Creed

This scent got bashed a bit lately and I feel I have to stick up for this, cause Ikinda like this new Creed.I can see why some compare it Joop Homme , as it shares the same oriental basenotes compared with the fruity topnotes, but that's where the comparison ends.It's not a plain copy like Original Vetiver was of TM Cologne.It's much more natural smelling from top to base than Joop Homme, to me.The start is a bit loud with the orange topnotes, but they soon fade into a wonderfull blend of sweet vanilla and tonka. It's a modern oriental without that dated Creed note that's in lot's of older Creeds. This scent is powerfull, but I can think of way more louder, powerfull scents. Big thumbs up from me.

09th May, 2006

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I could wear this any day, without getting bored.This fragrance really puts me in a good mood. Like the others stated, i's really a well balanced, yet simple composition of freshness with some light earthy under tones lingering in the background and settling on your skin. Picture Orange Vert with a bit of Declarations drydown. Less smokey, but it's there. It's refined, it's pure, and like Hermes stated, it's really a fragrance of earth and sky.

06th May, 2006

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

A very bright and positive scent,made by Olivier Polge, that blends sparkling citrus notes with tangerine, and orange.Will be one of my summer favorites. I like it!

22nd April, 2006

Baladin by Nicolaï

Love this fragrance! together with New York,this one is fighting for becoming my nr1 favorite! Lemon and leather, a wonferfully ,masterly crafted combination. A good scent if you like leather in scents, but not too much.

15th September, 2005

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A must have in your wardrobe.Classic and timeless. It has been relaunched in 2005,luckily the juice remains the same.

02nd June, 2005

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

If you have longevity problems,get the edp version if you can. The edt is a bit more "airy" , and the fresh notes are more dominant, with the a hint of the sweet,cocoa bean notes lingering in the background. The edp is more "full" . I get less fresh notes and more , sweet vanilla , chocolate notes, it's smooth and it lasts forever! I like both, for different occasions. Love it!

15th December, 2004 (Last Edited: 04th November, 2005)

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The lime peel and brazilian orange mixed with blackcurrants and oakmoss make this fragrance a delicious coctail.It fits me like a second skin I just love it.

03rd November, 2004

Kenzoair by Kenzo

This stuff is FANTASTIC! Instead of heavy gourmand fragrances(which I also like at times)this is the other side of the spectrum with a very light,zen like fragrance.Vetiver and anice.
    Sometimes simple is good.

21st August, 2004

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

For al the basenote members who complain about the d'Orange Vert staying power: buy this one!.
    The citrus,lemon,orange stays and does not go away. A really comfortable,feel good fragrance.

20th August, 2004

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Sparkling,fruity freshenes at first, and then a smooth vanilla,very light,drydown that lasts a long time. Good for warm sunny days but works also on cold winter days. Very nice!

09th August, 2004

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Man! I think I have found my holy grail(until now).I agree with all the other thumbs up,and have nothing more to ad,except I love this fragrance.

04th August, 2004

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

this one has one problem, when i spray this one, I keep on sniffing my wrists all day! I like the soft,sweet,woody papyrus smell of this fragrance.Perfect!

19th July, 2004