Reviews by vanillavanilla

Philosykos by Diptyque

Imagine the smell of a burning hot summer day of Mediterranean; a wild field which is covered with both sun-dried and evergreen bushes, and LOTS of sweet smelling fig trees, mildly washed over by a sea breeze bringing the subtle smell of golden colored rocks and sand... I am from Cyprus and this smell is very familiar to me. Now Dyptique took that exact olfactory experience, bottled it, and created a striking masterpiece.

To me, on the other hand, the actual wearability of this masterpiece is unfortunately low. Cause however wonderful the smell of figs (both the fruit itself, and the tree covered with lush leaves), it is too cloying to carry on your skin. Luckily I have found a way to solve this dilemma and enjoy that distinctive smell: Philosykos makes a wonderful room scent and also spraying it on sheets brings wonderful results.

20th June, 2009

Beautiful Love by Estée Lauder

This perfume made me literally sick. After 10 hours -yeah I am quite patient- I can't wait to step into the shower right now. It smells like a synthetic bouquet of many different white flowers randomly/carelessly mixed, and it does not have a distinguishing quality at all, -spare a nostalgic, sickening breeze of overly old-ladylike white florals which I associate particularly with the 1970s!-.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Aromatics Elixir is "the" perfume, and is far beyond from many ordinary market frags. It is a "love it or hate it" fragrance which does not suit everyone. Reading other reviews, I felt lucky to be from the ones who has the needed chemistry to pull it off. Every time I wear this I get compliments.

AE does not smell green or floral to me at all. What I smell is pure quality incense (a mix of chamomile, frankincense and myrrh, with that distinctive note of oak moss) which is very soothing, comforting and enveloping like a warm blanket.

As AE is very concentrated; use it sparingly or it is guaranteed to give you -and people around you- a headache regardless of how much you love it. Also always keep it in a cool and dark place as -due to its concentrated composition- it tends to go bad more quickly than mostly synthetic, lighter frags with a higher alcohol+water content instead the natural essential oils.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

A heady, raw, sharp, fruity-sweet oriental, headache inducing with a strong sillage. This one does not suit my taste.

LouLou by Cacharel

Like the most other Cacharel perfumes, LouLou too has that distinctive, sharp and gradually more and more overpowering note (which I can not quite identify, woody maybe) that gives me an instant headache. Thus, despite I liked this perfume I couldn't really wear it and eventually give it off.

Tentations by Paloma Picasso

this is quite a warm and comforting fragrance. my mum used to wear it. unfortunately it is not available anymore.

03rd June, 2009

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

An ordinary floral... there is nothing original with it. I love perfumes with a character.

Rougeberry by Body Shop

This perfume smells quite synthetic, chemical, cheap and ordinary. A mix of lots of heady cassis + fruit salad...

CK In 2U Her by Calvin Klein

This is a clean, citrusy, refreshing perfume meant for the younger generation. It is just one of that citrusy smells and there is nothing original with it. Not for me.

Neroli Jasmine by Body Shop

I love neroli and jasmine; so I got quite excited when this perfume was launched, yet it dissapointed me. It is a synthetic mix which slightly resembles the real smells of neroli and jasmine. This perfume is far from originality.

Crystal Aura by Avon

This perfume is way too heavy... It's a heady fruity floral yet I smell woody tones also. I usually like Avon's perfumes yet this one is a disaster. Sorry:)

L by Lolita Lempicka

This perfume is quite woody and heavy. I smell lots of patchouli in it. Definitely not for me.

Vanilla Vanille by Body Shop

Smells like vanilla, vanilla and delicious, mouth-watering vanilla! Men love this. It is my fail-safe seduction elixir. I adore this perfume, yet I miss the more natural, headier older version. Unfortunately: the bigger bussinnes the Body Shop is; the lesser original and natural the products are.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This perfume is original and unique, yet it is too incredibly heavy to wear. To me it smells like a very heady mix of black pepper, amber and woods. It instantly gives me a headache.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

This is meant to be a refreshing cologne and it does the job quite well. No more promises..

Mitsouko by Guerlain

If I had to choose only a one perfume to wear for a lifetime, that could be Mitsouko. It is such a unique and classy scent. It smells very nostalgic, yet not in an old-fashioned way. This perfume is able to recreate itself to harmonize with the spirit of all times. I would not try to define how this perfume smells, cause to me Mitsouko smells like Mitsouko and nothing else!
    Everytime I wear this scent I get compliments. There is more than that: Once, a man overtly tried to sniff me!

Estée by Estée Lauder

This perfume smells like an insecticide. Urgh.. I am sorry.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

This is how a seductress smell... Warm, inviting, sexy, caring, feminine... This is one of the best orientals ever done. Though it is a well known scent, it does not lose from its originality, cause its a unique perfume. It is definitely not for everyone though.. A small dose works best.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Now this is the smell of 80s in a bottle! The disco ball, bright fuschia lipstick... It reminds me of those times and that's why I like it. It smells a bit cheap, and I sometimes find it sexy exactly beacuse of that..

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

A very lady-like floral bouquet with a hint of bergamot... It is too old-fashioned for now though.

Odyssey by Avon

I used to wear this scent as a teen-ager. I adored it, and I still love it a lot. It is a clean, soft, musky floral. Combining it with its body cream gives perfect results.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

You have to give some time to Agent Provocateur... At first,I didn't like this perfume at all, yet I started to like it gradually. It is a unique scent and definitely not for everyone; results depend on the chemistry of the wearer. I think I know why this smell is promised to attract men; and why some men hate it, whereas some love it: This perfume resembles the smell of a woman's body; ummh, you get it.

Blonde by Versace

This perfume is one of my top favourites. It puts me on a dream state. I cannot have enough of it. As it is a discontinued fragrance, I am planning to stock it. Despite I have quite a large perfume wardrobe, I feel I cannot do without this.

16th December, 2007