Reviews by EricM

Cuba Brown by Cuba Paris

I expected this scent to smell heavily of unlit cigar, since it did from the cap. That was not the case. It's woody and musky. At first it has a hint of clove, but as it dries down it becomes more prominent, thus the fragrance gets spicier. It reminds me of Catalyst on the drydown. Duration is good as well.

30th April, 2003

Cuba Orange by Cuba Paris

Sweet and cloying. I waited for it to evolve, but it never did. My least favorite of the Cuba Cigar scents.

Cuba Grey by Cuba Paris

This one smells similar to Aspen from Coty when I wear it. It's not the longest lasting Cuba either. Okay but not great.

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

This scent stays close to the skin, and is kinda woody, with vetiver. Very unobtrusive and long lasting. Another good yet inexpensive scent from Cuba Paris.

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

When first applied this scent smells much the same as Body Kouros. As it settles, it becomes different, smelling of the tobacco of an unlit cigar. For not costing much it is a wonderful rich scent. Very long lasting and quite pungeant.

Cuba Blue by Cuba Paris

A nice blend of vanilla and musk. Good duration too.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Great blend of ginger and tobacco. Very rich, but a tad bitter. More a formal fragrance.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Very good scent dominated by tea notes. Duration is okay, but could be a little longer. This is an incredibly versatile scent, and works quite well in a casual setting.
    The white bottle is beautiful and represents the liquid inside well.

Royall Spice by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Spice is aptly named, because it's got dominant pepper notes. Does have some evolution but not until it's been on several hours. Great duration, but slightly monotonous.
    I may have to layer this under the lyme scent they make, that should be Spyced Royall Lymes!

Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

A good lime scent. Smells like lime and vodka. Not a lot of spice in this lime mixture, just a hint. Duration is not bad considering it's a citrus scent.
    St. John's Bay Lime is more spicy and the lime in it is more prevalent. This (Royall)is more subdued. Great scent for the beach, or when out and about in the heat.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This scent is incredible. It's got a note in it I can't identify, but it's regal and noble smelling. It won't overpower, but it lasts. Nice complexity, and it will work in any situation, from a board room to a game room. I love it!
    The golden bottle is mesmerizing. I can stare at it for hours. It appears as a priceless treasure from a lost city.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Smells like a high quality Curve for Men. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I absolutely HATE this stuff, and I love all the other Creed scents I've smelled.
    The black bottle should be a warning. A Mister Yuck sticker on it would not be out of line either. I guess that's where the green in the name comes from...

Bois du Portugal by Creed

An incredible scent. Very masculine, and more on the formal side, but could work in any setting. I love this one, and it might be my favorite Creed, though it's not as versatile as M.I.

Coriolan by Guerlain

A slight hint of lemon in the top notes, and the right amount of sweet throughout make this a wonderful scent. Duration is excellent as well.
    Nice bottle, and the way the cap hinges to the side is quite nice. The inside of the box even has instructions (icons) on how to open the cap!
    I'm going to miss this now that it's gone. Small chance of Guerlain bringing it back too, they seem to have gone to a small variety of men's scents. What a shame...

27 April, 2003

Avon Musk for Men by Avon

This inexpensive scent is a clean musk. Slightly piney as well, it's one of my favorite musks. Ashame it's discontinued (I emailed Avon and they confirmed this) as I've been wearing it for years, always taking for granted that it would be there for me.
    The duration is good. The packaging has changed some over the years, but the bottle remains the same. The splash has more of a pine note/accord than the spray for some reason. I'm well stocked on both now, but when it's gone it's gone. How Wild Country survives while this dies I don't know.

27 April, 2003

Zizanie by Fragonard

This is not a young man's scent by any means. I get patchouli and sandalwood from this, and a powdery drydown. Probably best suited for evening wear, as it can be a bit heavy.
    A pleasant scent that harkens back to yesteryear. Duration is good and I love the drydown. I haven't come across many scents launched early in the last century I don't like, and this is no exception.
    The bottle may look metal, but it's just frosted that way.

26 April, 2003

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

Lemon, rose, musk, leather and other wonderful ingredients. What's not to like about this?
    It's an eighties type scent to be sure, but I love those and this is no exception. I guess I'm in the minority on that, since it's discontinued!
    The bottle is unique alright.

26 April, 2003

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

This fresh and light scent is a real winner to me. Spicy and minty, with fig leaf dominating (to the degree anything dominates in this complex scent) and musk in the basenotes. It mostly stays close to the skin, with an occasional wonderful waft of fragrance emitting an aura of tranquility.
    Much better in warm weather than cold. One drawback is that it does fade fairly quickly. An EDP of this would be excellent, I think. Layering with the shower gel and deodorant will help the duration. The shower gel is one of the best I've ever used, and true to the juice.
    One of my favorite all time bottles. Partially frosted, and the sprayer harkens back to days of old. A mist or a stream can be delivered, and it's never difficult to do either.

22 April, 2003

Montana pour Homme by Montana

The bergamont and bitter orange are quite dominant and long lasting. In fact, this is the longest lasting citrus scent I've tried. The amber and musk are present too, and on warm days this scent evolves well.
    The bottle looks much the same as the Montana Parfum de Homme. Same "babel" design, only a bluish color instead of brown.
    This one comes in a blue box instead of red, and is nothing like the original scent except the drydown gives hints of it.
    I love this scent, and have smelled none like it, but wish they had not discontinued the Parfum de Homme.
    There is a wide range for this product according to a brochure in the box; everything from spray and stick deodorants to shaving and shower gels. I've yet to see any of them around though.

20th April, 2003

Royal English Leather by Creed

A rich and well done scent. As stated by the above review, the leather does not dominate, as it does in Cuiron or the others mentioned. It dances with Mandarin, and probably vanilla and cinnamon as well. A unique scent unlike any others I've smelled. It's history in a bottle.
    The bottle is the traditional Creed bottle, clear and elegant. The cap has the House of Windsor crest.

06 January, 2003

Antartic (original) by Yves Rocher

A refreshing scent. Grapefruit and amber, a hint of lime, and sandalwood for a base. Long lasting and well done for an inexpensive scent. The second Rocher scent I've worn (the other is Homme Nature) and there seems to be a common note (like the base of the Claibornes all smelling similar) in these two Rochers. I like Antartic though, and do not like Homme Nature.
    The bottle is angular, almost three sided and deep blue. Like the tip of an iceberg.

06 January, 2003

Stetson Country by Stetson

One of the fresh scents that are so popular now days. Smells like rain, very aquatic with a slight camphor note. Clear deodorant is true to the juice. Not for me though.

Stetson by Stetson

First smelled this years ago. Sweet and cigar-ish. Something in the fragrance makes me sneeze though, so I rarely wear it. Deodorant is better, missing the note that makes me sneeze.

Preferred Stock by Coty

Smells of Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, with a hint of Lagerfeld's Photo. Not a bad scent, but not as well done as the aforementioned two.

Musk for Men by Coty

My favorite drug store musk. Not overpowering, clean but not white musk. Smells like a barber shop scent.

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

This is one musk that doesn't do it for me, and I love musks. It's clean alright, but at the expense of good scent. The first time I wore it I kept waiting for it to evolve, but it didn't. One of the only colognes I've received numerous complaints on. It should be called Musk, Extra Light. The deodorant is mild and long lasting, smelling like the liquid.
    The bottle is nothing special and I hate the orange coloring of the cap and label!

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

This scent is dominated by clove. Top, mid and base notes all seem to have it. Cucumber, and leaf notes (ivy and mastic leaf) are in their as well as some woods (sandalwood). It's very green and spicy. Not like anything else I've worn, but it's not for me. Duration is average, not as strong as scents such as Opium, Fahrenheit, Obsession, etc. Not weak either.
    The bottle is a masterpiece though. the detail on the tree engraving is superb, even gnarls are visible and my bottle is only a mini!

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Always reminds me of the seventies and eighties when I smell it. Quite unique, but overbearing. If it smelled to me like Fahrenheit, as it does to some, it would get more wearing than once every 500 days. I just tire of it after a few moments, and it lasts and lasts. Note until the end basenotes do I like it, and by then it's too late.

Gravity by Coty

This scent will always hold a special place in my heart. I received two promotions while wearing this scent. Also won a tournament for a hobby of mine while wearing it. It smells like victory to me.
    The scent is quite nice actually, I know of nothing quite like it. Probably a woody oriental with lavender. Have had positive comments aplenty as well. Never used the deodorant though I did find that Gillette's "Drive" scented deodorant did not clash with the smell.
    The bottle is what first attracted me to the scent. Saw a television commercial and had to have it. The beautiful shade of blue and the shape just screamed "modern"!

Avatar by Coty

With all the notes I like in here, this scent should be great, but it does not appeal to me. Very common and indistinct. If this is, as the name suggests, a physical incarnation of God, I'll become an atheist!
    The bottle is artsy, like the angle of it. Too bad the scent is not!