Reviews by ezirak

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I love the bottle and the marketing did wonders on my psyche... BUT it's too strong and very smoky to me. I'm not sure that makes sense, but reminds me of a room where someone's been smoking a pipe or a fancy cigar.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Based on the name and the bottle and the level of popularity, I assumed smelling Angel would be a lovely experience. This was not the case! I was so disgusted and told the lady at the counter that it smelled like mold; she pointed out it might be the chocolate and also insisted that men find it irresistably sexy. I can't imagine why? Too strong, too moldy, too icky, not clean, and nothing like what a I would like to smell like! I just don't understand all the hype for all these years!

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I remember smelling this several years ago and thinking it smelled like a fresh, cucumbery, soft, and feminine scent. It didn't have that thing that would make me come back to it, but as I was trying fragrances in Saks today, I sprayed it (unfortunately I didn't check if it was EDP or EDT) and couldn't stand how I smelled. It smells too much like Escape, but cheaper, and can be relentless, even though I only spritzed twice! It has something strong that made me sick all day!

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

This just doesn't do it for me. As hard as I tried, because my husband gave it to me for Valentines Day, I couldn't bring myself to like this. It does get better after a while, but just better, not good. I couldn't put my finger on what it was it reminded me of, but someone above pointed out it's Windex and I totally agree! It's sweet and interesting and I agree that it's an original and unique scent but too sweet for me and not beautiful, sensual, fresh, or intoxicating, qualities I like in my perfumes.

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

It really reminds me of Amarige by Givenchy, though it is stronger and less floral. It also reminds me of a nice, tall, fizzy cup of just-poured Coca-cola; sweet, sparkly, and a bit peppery. I read somewhere it was Mina Suvari's favorite scent and that it never fails to get her compliments. It's interesting, but a bit too overwhelming for my taste. I could see loving it on a tall, bold, sophisticated lady, but not on myself. I'll probably try it again though just because most of the perfumes I've come to find as exquisite were initially too strong.

25 May, 2006

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I'm shocked that I responded to NR EdT with such passion because I usually don't like orientals or heavy musky perfumes. This can definitely be overpowering, especially when you initiall spray it, but it then gives off pulses of sweetness, including something that resembles dripping honey. This is an incredibly sexy and sophisticated scent, and while I've thought of many perfumes as sexy before, this is sexy on a very different level! I'm sad to report that most of the perfume sales ladies I spoke with at several different stores didn't know there's a difference between the Eau de Toilette (black bottle) and Eau de Parfum (pink bottle). The pink bottle doesn't last as long (ironically since EdPs are supposed to have more staying power) as the black bottle, nor does it have the enveloping sensuality that accompanies the black bottle. It's more of a boring and flat floral and not as exciting as the black bottle. The dry down is very clean.

24 May, 2006

Il Bacio by Borghese

This was my signature scent when I first started wearing perfume religiously, though now I'm too obsessed with fine fragrances to be able to choose just one. Il Bacio starts out a bit heavy, especially if you like to spritz in more than one place. But after a short while, it becomes a sensual, intoxicating scent. It's very feminine, but also sophisticated, and has wonderfully fruity notes that make it delicious. When I wore it, my closet always smelled of it and of all the perfumes I have tried, even ones with staying power, Il Bacio has been the only one that takes over the closet and even the entire room. I needed a break to try others, but I think it's time to go back to my first fragrance love! This became clear to me recently when I followed a woman up the escalator and through a department store after being intoxicated with her scent. I just had to find a way to ask her what she was wearing! I asked her when she finally stopped behind the jewelry counter and I was so surprised when she said Il Bacio! How could I have not recognized it!? I guess this just indicates how complex Il Bacio is!

24 May, 2006