Reviews by Worth1969

Worth1969's avatar
    Worth1969

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Wonderfully rich and distinctive scent - Ultra-classy and highly original; this is truly one of the great masculine scents and something I will always enjoy wearing. I can't tell you how many compliments I've received with Tsar and my girlfriend loves it, too! Please keep in mind that it has been reformulated, so if you really want to experience the majesty of Tsar in all its glory, go for the vintage bottle (pictured above). The current stuff just doesn't cut it & Eau de Tsar is something altogether different. I know times change and tastes change along with them, but Tsar is a true classic and will always remain in my wardrobe. Two Thumbs way Up!

30th September, 2014

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

In my own humble opinion, this really is one of the absolute best vanilla / tonka fragrances available today. The dry down is really a thing of beauty and I actually enjoy the fresh burst of incense and spices in the opening as well. I find this much more wearable than Tobacco Vanille in every way, never cloying or sickly sweet -just the right
    balance of vanilla, woods and spice. On top of its beautiful composition, it's also priced so modestly - something I greatly appreciate from the L'Occitane label, high quality at a reasonable price. My girlfriend recently got me the shower gel and after shave so now I can completely layer myself in EDB - life is good..

22 September, 2014

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

I am certainly not a fan of Gwen Stefani, but I love women who smell good.
    Gave this to a friend who wears it quite liberally and Wow! She smells absolutely scrumptious when she wears this! We are just friends, but the lamb is so divine on her I'm almost tempted to take it further -
    now that's saying something!

2 thumbs up for Lamb.

13 February, 2011

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

This is the epitome of a modern, inoffensive scent - perfect for someone who just wants to smell fresh and nothing more. For those of us that appreciate a rich and distinctive fragrance (Tom ford Tuscan Leather),
    Euphoria will be a huge disappointment. I personally find this boring and unoriginal. Intense Euphoria, however, has a nice flavorful opening and a decent drydown. It's hard for me to take Calvin Klein seriously these days, just mainstream pedestrian scents that are too afraid to make a statement. Ho Hum.
    Very close to giving this a thumbs down because it's just so bland.

22 December, 2010

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

Very well done!
    A sophisticated, classy and modern scent, which brings to mind some of the great fragrances from the past,
    while maintaining its own originality. I used to enjoy wearing Santos de Cartier (before they changed the formula), and the new Varvatos just might fill the gap in my collection. Warm, leathery and very smooth.
    Yes, quite impressed by this one!

30th November, 2010

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

I find this quite boring.
    The original Dolce and Gabbana, as well as "BY" and "Masculin" all had something to offer.
    They were distinctive and made a statement. D & G's fragrances of late are too generic for my tastes.
    I'll give it a neutral because it's not horrendous, but the thumbs are very close to being pulled down.

30th November, 2010

Gaïac by Martine Micallef

Though Unisex fragrances are not usually my vibe, I find this to be extraordinary.
    Soft, sensuous, luxurious and mesmerizing. I find this to be almost spiritual with it's calm, yet alluring effect. Really enjoy this, just wish i could afford it!

Two thumbs way Up!

26 October, 2010

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Given that the fragrance is so unique, it's bound to raise a few feathers, and perhaps some negative reactions. I, however, marvel at its richness, its originality and charm.
    The gentleman who compared this to a warm fireplace was spot on.
    This is magic on the skin and so far the opposite persuasion has reacted most favorably! I avoid most of the modern Gucci offerings, but I am glad I gave this one a try. Two thumbs way up!

21st October, 2010

Antaeus by Chanel

I echo the sentiments of Paulik - i just tried a new tester of Antaeus at Bloomingdale's and had to leave before i got into a heated argument. This definitely is not even close to the original Antaeus! The drydown is a joke! It's barely there! Chanel, you should be ashamed - you ruined a classic fragrance! Luckily, I still have a large vintage bottle that's almost full. I find this most insulting - as if we wouldn't know the difference! More and more I find myself on ebay looking for vintage bottles.

Original Antaeus - two thumbs up

New version - Two big thumbs down!

30th September, 2010

New West for Him by Aramis

Kudos to Aramis for bucking the trend and actually listening to their loyal customers and resurrecting some interesting scents. In a world that is all about the bottom line and nothing else, Aramis has dared to bring back not just New West but JHL, Devin,
    Havana, Tuscany and Aramis 900. Whether you love or hate these scents, you must appreciate the company's respect for these unique, vintage fragrances.
    I personally enjoy using New West and Devin - the reformulation of Tuscany is definitely inferior, but the others seem fine.
    Now if we could just get Halston to bring back 101 and Ralph Lauren to bring back Monogram - I won't hold my breath!

27 September, 2010

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

Discovered this in 1988 and have been wearing it ever since.
    Remember one day in particular working on a movie set - the fragrance stayed with me the entire day! So fresh and magical in the opening, with the rich woods and musk in the base. Truly a magnificent fragrance!

19 September, 2010

VSOP by Paul Sebastian

A classy, distinctive blend of rich woods and exotic spices. Far superior to PS, it's a shame they discontinued it - probably due to poor marketing.
    I was fortunate to win a couple bottles recently on ebay, but they came with a hefty price tag.

Another memorable scent from the past that has sadly been forgotten by most.

13 August, 2010

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Spawned a million copy-cats, but the original is still a formidable fragrance.
    Rich, invigorating and very masculine. Would I wear this in public in 2010?
    Probably not, but only because it has been done to death and my personal taste leans more towards the subtle classics like Versace L'Homme (original formulation).
    The thumbs still have to go up for Drakkar Noir, for quality, originality and longevity.
    Just spray lightly, please.

12 August, 2010

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A modern soft, sensual fragrance. Opening is fresh with exotic spices, I also detect vanilla and tonka bean in the base. I personally prefer Must de Cartier pour homme to this, (a little bit fuller) but I certainly enjoy the compliments from women when I wear La Nuit. This is definitely suitable for romantic wear.

26 July, 2010

Unforgivable by Sean John

I echo the sentiments of many on this board. Puffy's juice is a
    cheap, watered down, synthetic version of Creed's Millesime Imperial. The reason Unforgiveable sells is that Creed is very exclusive and not sold in most stores. Probably 85-90% of the folks that buy Puffy's crap have no idea he ripped off MI and have probably never smelled it. After smelling MI and Unforgiveable side by side, the Unforgiveable smells like rotten fruit. "Unforgiveable", indeed!

26 July, 2010

Samsara by Guerlain

Absolutely stunning!
    The original formaulation is
    One of the few women's fragrances that I would consider timeless.

Bought this for a girlfriend in the 90's and the combination of this fragrance and her natural Brazilian flavor was just intoxicating! We were only together for a month, but the scent of Samsara lingered on for years afterward. Tempted to buy for my current girlfriend, but in all honesty, I think the formula has changed and I'm not so sure it would go with her chemistry.

Samsara, one of the sexiest women's fragrances ever!

Samsara

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2010)

I am King by Sean John

How could this possibly be called "I Am King" ???
    Instead of a rich, masculine fragrance of class and distinction, we are accosted with a fruity headache of a scent that smells more like a 16 year old girl than a king!

What do you expect when an ego-driven celebrity with his head up his a$$ gets involved in the fragrance biz? Don't expect anything special.

Versace L'Homme or Tsar (original) could have been called I Am King - but Puffy's king smells like bubble bath and cheap air freshener.

What a Joke!

05 June, 2010

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Warm, Spicy and Sexy power scent from the 80's. Virility reigns supreme on this one and the Ed Hardys and Sean Johns (little boy scents) will step aside. The sharp citrus and patchouli are countered nicely on this one with the amber and musk of the basenotes. This smells nothing like Drakkar Noir, as one reviewer noted, however it may be cut from the same cloth. For all its strength and brawn, Tuscany is never overpowering and is still very wearable in 2010.
    I have noticed, however, in the past 4 or 5 years, that the fragrance smelled a little drier and more sour. Recently, I was given a vintage bottle (made in the U.S.A.) as a gift and it smelled much more the way I remember it - fresh, warm and spicy.

Has anyone else noticed a change on this one?

At any rate, 2 thumbs up for Tuscany, a rich and invigorating fragrance.

03 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen

I remember wearing this as a winter fragrance back in the late 80's (that's when I discovered it). As i recall, the original version was a viril, yet sensous musk with great longevity and warmth. The five star fragrance company has since taken over and pretty much ruined the scent. I purchased it recently without trying it first and, suffice it to say, was deeply disappointed with the results. This now smells like an outdated drug store musk with a funky, murky quality that resembles rotten fruit. From now on, when purchasing an older scent I'm going to insist on trying it on my skin first. Five Star fragrances??
    Are you kidding me?!!!

thumbs up for the original version.
    Thumbs way down for the remake!

29 September, 2009

CK Free by Calvin Klein

Boring, unoriginal and barely there. This is a nothing fragrance.
    I'm curious when the fragrance industry will get over the light, citrus-fruit and aquatic phaze - While there are a few well made, interesting fresh scents, I yearn for something rich and distinctive like the original
    Versace L'Homme or the original Bernini (Black Bottle). Between the
    rappers and other annoying celebrities and the sell-out mainstream
    fragrance companies, the art of perfumery is quickly disappearing.
    Very sad, indeed.

26 September, 2009

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

MDHiggins, I have to disagree with you, brother;
    I don't mind a trendy scent (Acqua di Gio, Issey), as long as it has something to offer. Light Blue is completely unoriginal and, dare I say, bland - it may as well have been made by the Ed Hardy line.
    Mediocrity should never be celebrated - even when it comes in a pretty package, but such is the case with D&G Light Blue - a true disappointment!

01st July, 2009

Chrome by Azzaro

Well made contemporary aquatic, fresh scent. Neither masculine nor original (let's face it, the launch of CK One in '95 had a huge impact on the fragrance industry), this still is a nice, pleasant fragrance with good longevity. If you're looking for something original with a personality of its own, stay away from Chrome. For folks in search of something a little more pedestrian to wear to the office, Chrome is your scent. I should also point out that whatever Chrome lacks in originality and inventiveness it makes up for in soft sensuality - Women absolutely love this scent. A good choice for fragrance newbies.

30th June, 2009

Dunhill by Dunhill

I have tried almost all of the Dunhill scents, and this to me is exceptional. Dunhill Man combines the freshness and cleanliness of the original Dunhill (1934) with the sensuality of the Dunhill edition, yet
    still holds it own with the light fresh scents of today, such as Acqua di Gio and Canali. This can easily be worn for both casual and dress and is definitely suitable for romantic situations. Dunhill Pursuit smells like a dusty old library compared to this.
    2 thumbs up for Dunhill Man!

11th June, 2009

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Very strange fragrance. Truly a question of personal taste; You either love it or can't stand it. I had a manager at work that wore this and needless to say, I avoided him like the plague. I tried it on my own skin and it still smelled like Christmas potpourri (albeit expensive, designer potpourri). I usually love vanilla, but not the way it's used in this scent. I much prefer John Varvatos, which is so much more appealing and easy to wear. Due to its unique character and strong nature you will find some who swear by this fragrance and absolutely love it. I, for one, really do not enjoy smelling this at all and find Chanel Platinum far superior in every way. Egoiste is too sweet and
    funky smelling - definitely not for me!

24 May, 2009

VIP for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Interesting and well made blend from the 80's.
    Bold and Masculine, yet not as brash as its predecessor, this was always my preferred Giorgio fragrance. Although I never wore it much, it's a fragrance that I have appreciated because of its quality and unique character. What I really love is that in the original fragrance ad for VIP it reads something to the effect of " One in one thousand will wear it". Quite the opposite of the mass produced, girly man scents of the 21st century, which are too afraid to make a statement and actually distinguish themselves from the rest. (There are exceptions, but all in all I think there needs to be a major shake-up in the fragrance world. By the way, both Giorgio fragrances have now been relaunched, but they do not smell the same as the original blends.
    The differences may be subtle, but rest assured, you'll be getting an inferior creation.

20th May, 2009

Hugo by Hugo Boss

A better than average mainstream fresh scent from the 90's.
    At the time of its release I thought of it as pretty light, but compared to the fragrances of the 21st century that are so afraid to make a statement, Hugo would be considered overpowering. Great use of green apple in the top notes and the pine is nice too. This is not a scent that represents my style - it's quite common and not the most original. I much prefer Boss Bottled, which is much more sensuous and distinctive. That being said, for someone who wants a decent, fresh scent for casual wear, Hugo will definitely work. I give it a neutral rating because while I do think it's nice, it's nothing I would seriously wear.

Also, for the record, the new Boss fragrances such as Boss Pure and
    Boss Selection are sinfully boring. These, in my opinion, represent everything that is wrong with the fragrance industry of late: The scents are no longer distinguishable and very little thought or creativity goes into making them. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule but I'm completely done with the light, citrus fruit metrosexual scents.

15 May, 2009

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

The only Boss fragrance that I enjoy wearing.
    Warm, sensuous, sweet (but not cloying) light and refreshing, but with a substantial woodsy base that also hints at vanilla. This is magic on my skin and never fails to generate a favorable response from the opposite sex. Classy enough to be worn for dress, but light enough to be used every day. Love it!

By the way, for the folks comparing this to Allure:
    Allure is more perfumey and has a sour note in the top that can be rather troublesome. Boss is softer, more intimate and sensuous, yet still light and fresh with decent sillage. Although I respect the quality of many of Chanel's creations, I would choose Boss over Allure anyday!

15 May, 2009

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Yuckk!!! Way too much alcohol and very synthetic smelling.
    Why Ralph Lauren would discontinue Monogram and launch this venom is beyond me. Seaweed extract?! Are you kidding me?!
    This smells like glorified cough syrup!
    I got this bottle from someone in the industry and it's one of the few fragrances that I hated so much I gave it away. Big disappointment from Ralph Lauren.

14 May, 2009

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Fresh, invigorating, viril and magnetic. Exudes confidence and class, without being overpowering. Modern and masculine, stands head and shoulders above the Sean Johns and Ed hardy's of the 21st century.
    One of the absolute best fresh fragrances ever made. Excellent sillage and longevity and suitable for casual or dress. Always makes a favorable impression on the ladies. The original Egoiste, though unique and well constructed, is a love it or hate it affair (I for one can't stand it!). Platinum is truly a classic!

13 May, 2009

Brownstone by Paul Sebastian

Created in an era (80's) when just about every new launch was much anticipated and each new fragrance was a unique creation (well, almost).
    Even for an 80's fragrance Brownstone was distinctive. Sweet, spicy, strong, yet a soft and sexy drydown with excellent sillage - this fragrance was exquisite. Not for everyone, mind you, more of a specialty scent. If this worked with your Phermones a woman would devour you whole. Definitely a romance scent - don't waste this at the office. Much better in wintery weather - it's just too rich and concentrated for the summer heat.
    Paul Sebastian has unfortunately discontinued his 2 best scents (V.S.O.P. and Brownstone) and continues to make the sickly sweet, overpowering
    good-fellas juice - otherwise known as PS original. Why this crap still sells is beyond me. Although Brownstone is quite rare and very pricey when it turns up on ebay, finding a fragrance of such class and distinction is worth going the extra mile.

23 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2011)