Reviews by fakepurseninja

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Dirty English is a smoky, leathery, spicy oriental that is balanced perfectly between sweetness and spices. It avoids the candy shop sweetness so many of its peers seem to aim at and instead delivers a somewhat classicistic, minimalistic manly scent profile - it faintly reminds me of Fahrenheit, if you remove the industrial gasoline-like notes of that 80s fragrance. Those looking for a replacement for the discontinued Javari might want to give this a try, but beware - this is more butch than that The Body Shop product.

I'm surprised noone seems to have noticed/mentioned how close this is to the Axe Instinct after shave. And I don't mean the quality as the Axe is way more peppery and dry-soapy and somewhat cheaper smelling in comparison. It's just me instantly thinking "Hm, this is quite unique but I smelled it before..." Yep, Axe Instinct.

24th September, 2009

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Raspberry cream pie. This is definitely only for serious gourmand lovers. Very unisex also. Not my cup.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is brilliant. Don't let the "fruit notes" in the pyramid fool you: This is a nice, gourmandy fragrance with hints of coffee, chocolate and sometimes I feel a bit of peanut butter coming on. The base is a spicy ambery vetiver affair, that is sweet but not too sweet. I usually don't like Vetiver, but in this it is just brilliant in that it adds the right amount of an earthy dimension. Very sad that it's discontinued, I was lucky that I got a 100ml bottle.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I think this is a bit of a victim of its own success. Just smelling the fragrance as it is without caring about Creed, King Faisal etc. one gets a fresh fruity scent that, while coming with a nice ambregris note, has SO MANY competitors these days that I find it extremely hard to justify the extra price tag. No need to mention Unforgivable, even extreme cheapies like Nautica Blue (No, really. Try it!) manage to combine freshness and fruityness, with a base that may be constructed of cheap synthetic musk molecules, but still gives an impression of something-like-ambregris. It's not a horribly bad scent, but neither Creed's heritage nor the high price is adequately mirrored by the scents quality/complexity, which is why I give a thumbs-down.

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

A while ago I wanted a fresh casual go-to fragrance of the "Fresh n' Blue" genre (Paco Ultraviolet Man, Polo Blue, Issey Bleue,...) and wound up getting a small bottle of Cool Water Deep. As others have stated, it is like a (coherent!) mix of other fragrances, for me it is in the middle between Acqua di Gio and Polo Blue. No resemblance to the original Cool Water. For what it is it is okay, obviously nothing special or groundbreaking, but if you need an aquatic with a good dash of blueness and find Polo Blue just TOO blue, give it a shot. Sillage/Longevity was good on me.

30th January, 2009

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Actually, this is much much LESS "marine" than the original AQVA (which I love very much). Another one of those fresh fruit salad scents that come in heaps these days and that do absolutely nothing for me.

10th January, 2009

S Oliver Silver Man by S Oliver

As the notes tell us, this is a spicy affair. A rather cheap product, being an S. Oliver scent, this one is a fresh yet dry, sour take on a spicy summer scent. Somewhere near Armani White, but without the saltiness and musk-centeredness of it, I think this one is ok for both work and play. I have definitely smelt worse and more common drugstore scents than this. Longevity is hard to judge though, as the 30ml version releases very little juice per spray. Used liberally the longevity is a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

31st May, 2007

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

The_Giraffe and Renato are right: It's a very nice casual warm day scent. Somewhere between Armani White and Bulgari pour homme, but much MUCH cheaper than those two, it is a light citrus/white musk combo, pretty simple, pretty linear. I actually got this as a replacement for White because that one turned into ubersour-nastiness. If you want something light and fresh that does NOT smell like all the recent watery calone-heavy aquatic stuff, then give this a try.

17th January, 2007

Brit for Men by Burberry

Brit for men is a very unique and versatile fragrance. It is very soapy and creamy (the tonka and the spices), thus very sensual, but remains an unmistakebly masculine fragrance throughout its drydown. Great for work and for play, for any season (maybe not the hottest days) with superb longevity and sillage, though not all agree on that. Anyway, for me this has no faults, and it is in my opinion far better than Armani Code and Chanel Allure Homme to which it is often compared.

20th October, 2006

Javari by Body Shop

It is, like MonkeyManMatt said, a very peppery rendition of Le Male, also less sweet, without the vanilla/tonka of JPGs big seller. But while Le Male is quite an in-your-face clubbing scent, Javari is comparatively restrained, both due to its less flashy smell and its somewhat lower sillage, though the longevity is quite good. Well that's the way it is on my skin anyway. If I want more presence I have to apply more, but at a price of 22 euros for 100ml I can happily spray away.

The reduced sillage is, for me, the appeal of it. It is the most wearable oriental I know, I feel I'll have this on quite often, on occasions where my other oriental stuff would simply be too much. So, if you are in search of a sweet oriental/gourmand sledgehammer scent, there are surely better alternatives like Body Kouros, Le Male, Lolita Lempicka, Bvlgari Black, A*Men, B*Men and probably Opium (and a myriad more that I don't know). But if you want to have the experience of wearing a nice, spicy oriental in a more casual way, get Javari.

16th October, 2006

Revelation by Pierre Cardin

This starts a bit like Yves Saint Laurent "Opium pour Homme", with an additional, relatively pronounced mint, overall a little bit brighter. Along with the rather low price this could have been an interesting alternative - if it had any reasonable longevity on me.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

First off, I can see why some would think that this is too sweet/heady/strong. This IS a very powerful, opulent offering by YSL.

I wasn't sure myself in the beginning, I didn't think I could pull it off. Instead I was thinking about getting the Eau d'Orient version, which has less of the sweet base and more citrus (lighter all in all), but because of the approaching colder seasons I went with the original edt. And I don't regret it. This is a truly mouthwatering oriental because of its rather daring, fruity top and middle. It lasts very long, and progresses to a rich oriental base. Truly addicitive.

For those that would like to have more emphasis on the darker aspects, I would recommend checking the edp version.

P.S.: Don't overspray!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

While it may be seriously ubiquitous (depending on the region you are in), I still enjoy this scent a lot. It is somewhere between oriental and gourmand, with a quite pleasing minty freshness to it, which may feel synthetic to some, but I am not sensitive to that. Very delicious if you like sweet scents, and a longevity/sillage that is amazing, so you get a lot for your money.

One Alternative should be mentioned: Javari by The Body Shop. It's quite similar, but cheaper and has a good dash of pepper, which may be good for those of you who find this here not manly enough. And it is also said to last as long. If I ever finish my bottle of Le Male, I'd probably get this.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Very, very controversial fragrance around here. I had to try it a couple of times, at first I was put off, not by any public ret room images, but by it's raw 80s-style power. What made me tip to buying it was my girlfriends reaction... =) And since that I have come to madly love it for its raw masculinity, its weather- and occasion-wise versatility and its great longevity.

If this one is too strong for you, you may want to check out one of the many newer and lighter versions.

25th July, 2006

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

I don't know about the original Eau D'Orange Verte, but this one is a great, refreshing and joyful experience. An orange explosion followed by light green notes (the orange is dominant throughout), and if generously applied, 4 sprays or so, it does have decent longevity for an almost citrus-only scent. A lot of fun!

24th April, 2006

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Very very nice Citrus Scent with a bit of ginger and vetiver. Very versatile imho, any season, any age, any occasion (save a funeral or something like that..). Longevity seems to be a problem for some people, especially in colder weather, maybe put some on your clothes too in the winter. A definitive recommendation anyway, very original scent, I asked for alternatives several times at several places, and not one of those shown to me was even close to M7 Fresh.

14th March, 2006

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

A spicy woody marine scent with a bit of vanilla added to it, would not put this in the aquatic (Acqua di Gio et. al) category. Not my favourite type of scent, and imho there's a lot of alternatives to this (Annayake pour lui, Nautica Latitude Longitude, Paco Rabanne XS,...) which are more or less spicy, soapy or tea-y than this, so take a good look before you buy.

22nd February, 2006

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Very tough to review for me. I like Acqua di Gio, and I like the smell of this, it's just that the citrus in here seems too strong, the whole thing is somehow out of balance. This and the hint of soapiness in here reminds me too much of dish liquid, and the somewhat low longevity makes this almost a "down"-verdict. The other reviews are overall pretty good, but I would still suggest to check out other aquatics, like maybe Sun Men by Jil Sander, there are a number of fragrances to choose from in this category.

22nd February, 2006

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

I got this very cheap and after a bit of testing and comparing, I would say it is (in it's drydown) quite like Paco Rabannes XS (or Annayake pour lui), just a little less soapy and with a dash of saltiness and tea added which actually sets it a bit apart from the number of other scents in this category. I usually don't go for scents like this, so here my verdict is a neutral. I would choose this one any day over, say, Baldessarini Del Mar.

21st February, 2006

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Now this one's a lot of fun. Possibly better suited for younger people, it's a very fruity-fresh summer fragrance that starts off with a big splash of apple and dries down to a vanillic-lightwooded base. The comparison to Allure is not so far off, take away some of the apple and add a good spoonful of yoghurt, and Boss Bottled becomes Chanel's Allure Homme. I prefer this one.

21st February, 2006

Annayaké Pour Lui by Annayaké

A nice male fragrance, rather tender as the two reviews before this one noted. It somehow reminds me of Paco Rabanne XS, but pour lui is not half as in-your-face-fresh as XS, so the comparison is not really adequate. This scent comes on with nice tea notes that imo definitely make this worth sampling. The only downside is that it is available only in 100ml bottles.

08th February, 2006

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Smells like cookies or creamy cake to me. If it had a more masculine character (read: If it wasn't a unisex fragrance) I would have liked it better.
    On a woman, in the evening, yes. On me, no, I'll stick to Le Mâle (yes hate me for that).

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

I agree with scenteur7, this could really have been a nice new take on armani white he - if it only wouldn't vanish after five minutes.
    Try white instead.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Chalk up one more headache victim.
    I read about people getting migraine from it on another forum as well, so I would definitely disadvise this as a present. The chance seems comparatively high that person will not be able to wear this scent. Maybe try one of the myriad of less cloying aquatics.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

To me, this is still the Benchmark aquatic scent. I tried a number of other different ones, but this one remains the best for it's non-cloying subtleness, a nice mix of sweetness and freshness. It's certainly not the scent for one who wants to stand out, but if you don't care about that (like I don't), it's a great, light marine scent.
    P.S.: No sour drydown on me either.