Reviews by pasha

pasha's avatar
    pasha

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Nice, clean, soft and very summer-y.

I like this fragrance. It is a sensual skin scent that is not too anything in particular, but a good substitute for the Bulgari devotees who may have been bored with the other masculine Bulgari offerings, none of which is all that adventurous. There is a sense of gentleness that this scent possesses. It is embracing you like soft silk shirt. The otherwise robust notes like honey, vetiver and benzoin are all handled with a very conscientious, if not timid, hand here. It is all quite comforting and inoffensive nonetheless, which is what Bulgari, as a perfume house, is all about anyhow.

When I first saw the actor Clive Owen in the ads created for this release, I assumed this would be a more grown-up and 'serious' scent from Bulgari with the usual and conventional masculine notes in high gear. Well... I was seriously deceived. This too yet again is another genderless blend, and the commercial campaign could have been fronted by any guy aged between 18 to 60. And women can also easily employ this juice, and wear it accordingly. No one would even raise an eyebrow.

I may think about it for summer. The bottle is severely over-designed and somehow lacks the habitual elegance that Bulgari brings in their perfume bottle designs. That glass block looks somehow too 'proud' to be a Bulgari scent.

11th October, 2011

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Nice and clean, but smells a bit cheap.

17 September, 2011

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Smells cheap and one dimensional.

Among the worst of the popular commercial designer frags out there. Who actually buys this stuff, and why?

14 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2011)

Shalimar by Guerlain

I wholeheartedly second every positive feedback left for this masterpiece, so I will not compose some heart-piercing poetry here about Shalimar. Many have done that, and Shalimar deserves all the praise and admiration. Yes, it is truly that phenomenal.

And yes, it is very much unisex; in fact, I liken the edp's drydown on me to YSL m7 with its musky animalic hue - just replace m7's violent wood with elegant and powder-y vanilla. Shalimar is far more gender-neutral than oh, let's say Dior Homme Intense, which is a favorite of many. I own Shalimar EdP in the tall, Eastern bottle which usually comes with the EdC concentration. I consider myself lucky, since Shalimar's vintage looking triangular bottle, to me, is the most gorgeous perfume bottle ever designed and to find the EdP in that bottle is a rarity.

Beautiful vanilla. Smells like love rediscovered.

PS: Unfortunately, Shalimar EdP has a very weak lasting power, I have to add. It is quite heartbreaking actually. If the EdP, which is not a very cheap perfume to buy mind you, has weak lasting power, then the EdT and EdC must be even worse... It does sadden me.

Still, Shalimar is amazing beyond belief.

07 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2011)

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Yummm...

this is... truly something.

07 March, 2011

Mania (original) by Giorgio Armani

Sublime creamy creation; so perfected in its character and poise, that Armani should really be ashamed of discontinuing this modern day masterpiece.

This scent is a million times better than Armani's now more 'aspirational' and rather expensive 'Onde' creations, which I lovingly refer to as 'a complete mess of a beauty line'. Maybe the company should repackage this beauty and make her available again, instead of diligently supplying us the efforts of complete mediocrity in the recent years.

The original 'Mania' is fantastic. Her pink sister is not bad, but this one is perfectly creamy and seductively complete.

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Roses dipped in melted plastic, then polished to a sharp finish... Kind of like modern art, kind of like mundane Chinatown trinkets God knows who actually buys...

There is something very kitschy about Parisienne. Very 'unsettled.' But I like it, since it feels like an adolescent European princess just discovering punk rock or some such thing to that affect. Sophia Coppola could dump this all over her Marie Antoinette movie set while shooting her version of the young and impressionable queen, since the innate lush luxury of the aggressive roses and the interminably cheap artificiality of that plastic-y smell go hand in hand in this bottle - just as how it was in her movie.

It requires some level of youthful aloofness, a keen interest in 'acrylic modernity' and a serious adoration to roses to appreciate this particular edition. If you enjoy a more 'natural' flare in your flowers, do skip this one.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

God, Opium... what are you doing to me?

Is it possible not to be consumed by its beauty? Is it possible to resist? Still one of the sexiest scents ever created, and like the Obsession duo, Opium has a peculiar effect on big felines of the jungle. True story. Maybe I am a lion at heart, since this is truly addictive to me. It makes my lips itch.

You spray some on your wrist, wait 30 seconds, and then rub your wrists harshly to warm up the precious liquid... and then you inhale the warmth and salt of the potion... this is a sin. It must be. The Opium duo is the most glamorous and dangerous girl and boy ever appeared from Paris, seducing one feeble admirer after the other as they move along. And the name, God that name!

The whole thing is criminal.

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Ehhh... it is just OK, for whatever it is.

It is very run-of-the-mill. The type of scent that will entice its consumer for two years at most. Nothing original, nothing even that likable actually. Now, 'Daisy' could maybe be the prettiest thing ever created. It will always have a special place in people's hearts. This one is not even in the same time zone though. Lola could have easily been a celebrity scent, which is a huge insult I always think. It is also very very 'big' in its volume.

There is nothing wrong with owning one or two good bottles of fruity-florals. They are un-apologetically vivid, feminine and optimistic scents after all, and do complete an estrogen-induced perfume collection. But when there are so many genuinely beautiful creations out there, nobody should find themselves settling into something this banal.

btw, good God, what a hideous bottle beyond comprehension! I mean if ugliness were a measure, the flower cap alone would re-formulate the whole metric system.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Well, it ain't great!

The name is 'Guerlain Homme'. It kind of saddens me that Guerlain wasted a colossal and ever-lasting name with this creation, since if this is to be the ultimate 'homme' creation by Guerlain in the 21st Century, needless to say things aren't looking that good for the future of the company...

Nothing here suits Guerlain, Not even the bottle, and we should at least be able to count on Guerlain to supply a chic bottle that sits pretty on your shelf. 'Underwhelming' is the word that seems to be most befitting. The notes or the composition here aren't too anything to write about, really.

Where is the creative mentality and rightful pride that had created a diamond like Shalimar?

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Beyond pretty. So lush and luscious. Just lovely in its optimism. Daisy is just so lovely.

A wonderful creation that has an illuminated youthfulness pouring out of it.

Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari

There isn't one even bland Omnia creation, and this one is just another look to perfection. So beautifully crafted in every single way. Bulgari has one of the most impressive scent portfolio, and the sparkling and subtle quality of their feminine editions particularly deserves a lot of praise. Crystalline is a beautiful girl, full of life but also slightly elusive at times. There is something polite and well-mannered about her, but also something a bit un-bridled and ethereal. She is a wild child maybe, but she knows that she has a box of priceless Bulgari diamonds waiting for her in her room, whenever she feels like reaching for them.

This is a perfume while wearing a woman should fall in love with someone. It is the kind of perfume that should create and paint significant moments in life.

It is that precious.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Among the best modern mainstream floral creations out there. It is obviously worked to perfection before the creators put their final stamp of approval, and it does make the exact statement that it intends to, right away when it touches a woman's naked skin: the feminine elegance embodied in every right way possible.

Rose Essentielle is a must for everyone who loves to pursue everything that a modern floral has to offer. It has an innocence, a sex appeal, a polished identity and an unquestionable elegance.

It is just so beautiful.

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

It is sexy and youthful. Could be far far far more than what it is.

btw, the tackiest bottle known to man...

Antaeus by Chanel

He is a handsome handsome gent; sharp in his tux, ready to charm the night and seduce the room. He knows how to allure and when to make his kill. This juice has so much inherent and captivating personality.

Chanel Antaeus deserves and demands the respect that is rightfully his.

Brit by Burberry

Couldn't be lovelier. It is sparkling in honey and gold. Brit deserves its well-earned popularity and fame, and would be an asset to any ravishing woman's well-rounded perfume collection.

Brit gets particularly immaculate in winter.

Gold by Donna Karan

The cucumber note in this bothers me to no end. I also do not think this is the purest form of Casablanca lilies I have ever experienced. These lilies in this bottle smell particularly weak and greasy, instead of heavy and overpowering like the true Casablanca beauties do smell in real life. It has a very common base, and the main problem is; the scent doesn't match its colossal name.

I thought this would be a very thick and creamy Casablanca design: as cold as it can be, in its sublime purity. Like a thick block of gold. I would still rate it high for whatever it is, but again, that unholy cucumber note is too unacceptable and inappropriate. I will have to use this with another scent as a tool for layering, since something needs to smother and neutralize the common vegetable in this.

Breaks my heart to say, but thumbs down at best.

EDIT: Layering it with the uber-animalic and dirty Givenchy Gentleman now: the end product smells heavenly. The leather and dirty musk in Gentleman totally suffocates the cheapness of Gold, and annuls everything that is tacky in it. What you get is a masculine scent with a touch of pure flowery sparkle.

Genius.

Now I have a reason and way to enjoy Gold. I will call this creation 'The Golden Gentleman'. lol.

12 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2011)

Dune by Christian Dior

Dune is an exceptionally unisex fragrance and a popular summer favorite.

People, who will expect to smell something very feminine in this, will find something is seriously missing here, and that would be strong flowers at its heart. It is dry, citrus-heavy, and potent. I find Dune to be very unique, because I do smell a faint 'wet concrete note' in this, and also what feels like a splash of dry seasalt residue left on your skin after a cool swim. And that combo really intrigues me. It is a very unbridled and slightly violent scent, but also there is still something quite listless about its attitude. It doesn't really care to make an impression, because Dune knows that it will seduce some, and maybe bore others. Does it really care? I think not, since it is unapologetic about its identity.

I love Dune, because it has an unique sexiness to it. It is the type of scent that I imagine a very-much-in-love couple may easily share and have sex while wearing it, perhaps on a beach under the shadows of palm trees. It has a way of making you feel liberated and careless. It is potent, but I do not find it overbearing or heavy on my skin. Then again, it is a skin scent, so this one will feel different on every single person. It doesn't transform that much that rapidly unlike many other skin scents out there: its transformation is quite conservative really. What you smell in the opening is pretty much what you will smell at the very end.

I seriously think Dior should reevaluate their stance and marketing strategy with this one. Among all the insipid and interminable summer releases every year, Dune still stands unparalleled and unmatched. It needs a unisex marketing campaign - hinting that this can be a confident and asserting option to both men and women.

After all this time, it is still a modern scent with a young attitude, and genuinely timeless in its character.

PS: I am certain I have the newly-formulated version of Dune, because I read some reviews where people describe this to be exceptionally heavy and feminine. The juice in my bottle is none of that. I also read they have changed its formula a bit and it now smells somewhat different and decidedly more 'dry'. I do not know about the old/original Dune: my review above applies to the Dune you will buy and experience today.

06 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 March, 2011)

In Black by J del Pozo

These cherries are slowly rotting in their decadence. Very daring. Initial splash of 'sweet' is quite short-lived. Moves to 'smoky and boozy' really fast. There is also a very prominent and somewhat artificial lipstick smell that lingers throughout - somewhat synthetic but very pleasant and cool nonetheless. Slightly more feminine than In White, but not unthinkable for a man to indulge in. In fact, this fragrance can be bewitching on many. By the way, In Black layers beautifully with In White.

In White is more disciplined and wears a lot thicker. This one is more idle and less imposing. Should not be your choice if subtlety is more your flare. It can be rather sexy.

26 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2011)

In White by J del Pozo

A creamy, luscious and thick potion. A wealthier relative of Dior Pure Poison. Gender neutral, smoother, and has a slight barbershop cologne feeling to it which I adore. Layers exceptionally well with In Black. I do not know if it was intentional, but the mix works wonders. May not work as well in very hot climates/summer.

Distinct and well-behaved.

26 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2010)

Encre Noire by Lalique

It is the work of modern attitude, taste, approach and talent. It is a sensual, cerebral and compelling creation.

Just beyond reproach.

24 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2010)

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

It is a secluded water meddled and tamed with flowers, soft winds, rain, and light. It is just so precious. I love falling asleep in this masterpiece.

And it was one of the most groundbreaking perfumes ever created, since 99% of all wishy-washy watery peony/lily scents that we have today have been inspired by this. Often emulated, never really duplicated. Issey is still untouchable and the gold standard among its competition.

PS: A confident guy can get away with it as well, imo. The bottle's architecture and impact deserve another essay and design study in itself.

24 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2010)

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

This is supposedly Angelina Jolie's favorite scent to wear.

Curious.

26 October, 2009

Onde Mystère by Giorgio Armani

It is not really an 'onde'. More like a little wiggle on a water. A sugar-y, D&G Light Blue-esque water that is way too light and feeble for its own good, and hefty GA price.

Bottle, sans the tassel, is lovely.

14 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

I bought this one particularly to wear to bed. I love sleeping in flowers, and lush violets I am a huge fan of in particular. I do own NR for him, but wanted something softer and silkier to sleep in.

My Queen is a rather feminine skin-scent that is heavy in violets, sweet almonds, cedar, vanilla, and a tad iris in the end, I think. It isn't milk-y, but rather powdery. It constantly develops on the skin and finally melting into a soft vanilla-cedar base that is very comfortable, luxe and sensual. Violets and vanilla are always the usual suspects to me to make a fragrance smell cheap. In this case though, the combination of the two is just right.

Another fave for sleep-wear has been Bulgari Jasmin Noir for me: and if that one is creamy jasmins, then this one is definitely powdery violets. As one may expect, this is a strict skin scent, and it has a certain lushness that reminds you of something familiar, yet at times, also something cold and alien. I will be trying this one with some layering experiments as well. I cannot imagine any disasters with My Queen, since she is stunning from top to bottom and begging to be discovered even further.

Would work best on Helmut Newton-esque blondes, if I have to pick a single type for it.

06 October, 2009

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Quite remarkable, but it doesn't work on me as well as it could have I feel. Still, I enjoy the scent. Cannot really stomach the first minute of the opening - too lush and supple in its greenness for my taste- but after about 3 minutes, it does smell like heaven. Masculine, yet fragile. Metallic, yet familiar. Sour, but also really fresh.

I like Versace L'Homme as a scent, but I feel like I am the wrong canvas for the cologne to unravel all its mysteries and magic on. More suitable for winter, even though it is quite green which is usually associated with summer. Great silliage, and exemplary longevity. And it still doesn't come off as dated, after all these years since its creation and long-term popularity.

Try it: you will not regret the experience.

14 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2011)

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Bought it to own the stunning bottle, and it so happens I love the scent just as much as its sculpture of a container.

Oh shoot me... I am a guy, and I love Jasmin Noir. I love closing my eyes, and falling asleep at night in this, and waking up next day with its divine stench lingering on my black satin sheets. It makes my day brighter. Or I simply wear it with a heavily starched white shirt, and walk the streets of NY with the soft wind in my hair.

Jasmin Noir is immaculate.

Céline Collection Pastel by Céline

Dry and sour pink flowers tempered with rain water and a bit of lemon. Light, pink, and fluid.

Nothing extraordinary, but comfortable and quite summer-y. Neither too this, nor that.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

It is an experience.

Save it for winter, and apply it to a white cashmere scarf, and then inhale the intoxicating spicy blend when it is cold and raining. Men can also wear it... quite easily. Will not buy it again, but I am glad that I could manage to own a bottle.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

The opening is a little too wet and dirty by today's standards, but the drydown is to die for.

UPDATE:
    Started layering it with Gucci Rush (the regular one for women.) Smells like a wet fall garden. Cannot get over its beauty.

20th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2010)