Reviews by fiskadoro

fiskadoro's avatar
    fiskadoro

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Erm... well, as a Serge Lutens admirer I can't say I like this one at all. Like many reviewers here, I did expect something more cedar-like (I got a sample so I hadn't read about its notes), but instead I got what seems like a powerful tuberose. I like tuberose, but prefer it on my female friends. This goes on smelling like old socks and ends up being way too, dare I say, "female" for me, I had to wash it off. Really, it's not a horrible scent by any means, I'm just thinking it is mis-named and perhaps should be aimed only at women.

26 September, 2006

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Little silver flask spends its entire time laying down on my shelves - it's one of the only bottles I've ever seen that doesn't sit upright! Still, it goes on all inky and blackcurranty, but with a touch of something synthetic in there. It dries down a bit powdery, but I can usually detect it many hours on. Seems to react differently to weather/heat, so it's always an interesting prospect.

24 August, 2006

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Don't get me wrong - I love this stuff, but by god it stinks! When I first put this on, it's way too stinky and intenses, but give it some time and it dries down deliciously and lasts all day. You need to be ultra careful how much you use though, one tiny spray of this is all I need, otherwise I get very self-conscious of stinking to high heaven.

23 March, 2006

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

goes on smelling like an indian spice market - it's almost too much - but ends up softening pretty quickly and lasting all day. totally delicious.

09 August, 2005

Habanera by Hove Parfumeur

beautiful stuff... the tobacco note is prevalent throughout, and there's softer leathery/vanilla notes on the dry down. the scent lingers all day and smells very natural and unsynthetic.

30th November, 2004

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

I never had the opportunity to try the original D'Orange Verte, and most discussions about the new Concentree version seem to debate its longevity. Well, I don't know how it compares, but it's one of the scents I wear that I can most definitely detect on myself many hours later, though others have told me they do not notice it. It goes on with a refreshing blast of orange and then there's an element of mint that seems to linger on the skin, and combines with the other notes to make this unusual musky/minty concoction.

17 August, 2004

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

excellent unisex fragrance with elements of lavander and juniper and deeper notes of wood, amber, and moss. one for the guys and the gals!

10th August, 2004

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

my signature scent that i keep for special occassions... there's nothing quite like egoiste for parties, weddings, and other events. for me, egoiste lasts and lasts on my skin, and my girlfriend adores it. it's strong, yes, but not overpowering, distinct, yes, but not unruly. it's one of the only scents i can wear and still smell its aura around me many hours later like a close friend.

10th August, 2004

Hei by Alfred Sung

Well, after much bashing here I wanted to go against the trend and give a positive review of Hei. Admittedly it's hardly the most spectacular fragrance in my collection, but I do appreciate its light, slightly floral overtones, which makes it perfect for a summer day or to wear casually. Its longevity isn't the greatest, but it's certainly not an offensive scent, and it is a cologne one can wear regularly without too much trouble.

30th June, 2004

Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

Monsieur Balmain is a classic citrus scent that starts off with an exceptionally sharp burst of lemon before drying down to a nice vanilla base. A real old timer, it's often overlooked and underappreciated, but definitely worth a shout.

05 March, 2004