Reviews by Fiveoaks_Bouquet

Rose Anonyme by Atelier Cologne

Voluptuous yet restrained

When it comes to reviews I'm not much of a note cruncher. It's more about being transported by the aroma and how a perfume makes me feel. Rose Anonyme makes me feel great. In the past perfumes with pronounced rose and patchouli notes come across on me as somewhat aggressive but Rose Anonyme does not feel aggressive at all--assertive, yes, you know it's there, but settling into a soft personal aura with a very delicious patchouli note. It is somewhat redolent of the patchouli note in Angel but whereas after a while Angel's patchouli can seem pounding and repetitive, that in Rose Anonyme seems to float in and out elusively making you want more. The oud note remains mysterious to me. I know it's in there but I'm a beginner in exploring oud. It could be that what gives Rose Anonyme a perceived ethereal quality and keeps it from being heavy is its eau-de-cologne underpinning. I am also enjoying the matching soap, which leaves a light fragrance on the skin and the scent of which I find slightly "creamier" than the juice. So far it is non-drying and of course it smells wonderful in the bath.

Pros: A niche perfume that makes itself available
    Cons: Pricey, what else is new?

16 May, 2013

Beige by Chanel

Tomorrow I will be buying my sixth bottle of Beige since March of 2010, when I first started wearing it. Guess you could say I like it--read love it! I get all of the notes reported to be in there, but not always and not all on the same day. Different notes come up when they feel like it. Yesterday the gardenia was standing out, sometimes I smell the frangipani and then it can disappear for a couple of weeks before I smell it again. The aldehyde, heliotrope, vanilla and amber weave in and out, I love it when a blast of freesia appears--and so on, with the other notes as they come and go. Regarding the freesia, this is the only perfume containing a freesia note that to me actually does smell peppery like freesia.

I don't think Beige is perfect; sometimes it can smell a little plasticky in the drydown. To me it smells like an old-fashioned perfume from about 1911, composed with modern-day aromachemicals, thus the obvious synthetic notes. But I can overlook it when that happens because it is more than overbalanced by all the joyful bursts of aroma I get throughout the day and from one day--week--month--year to another.

14 May, 2011

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

I've read a lot of reviews of Jasmine White Moss on the net and quite often it seems criticized for what it is not rather than evaluated for what it is. In today's world it's not a chypre with real oakmoss, it's not Cristalle or Miss Dior or any of a number of other perfumes, it's not a French perfume by a great French perfumer, it's not a vintage perfume, it's not an indolic jasmine scent. What it is is a citrusy, green, floral, aldehydic "modern chypre" with a lot of zest and considerably more sophistication than other mainstream perfumes on the market today, with a tip of the hat to some French chypres of the late '60s and '70s. The latter vibe is something I thought I'd never smell again in a new perfume. I doubt we'll be having many if any classic chypres coming down the pike any more, and natural jasmine is meeting a similar fate to oakmoss. Given the reality, I'm delighted to be able to enjoy a perfume of today that has some of the elements of the zesty, woody variety of chypre (as opposed to the more smooth Mitsouko variety) translated into a very uplifting and enjoyable scent that I consider among the best of today's offerings.

17 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2011)

No. 19 by Chanel

No. 19 is a truly wearable green. Love the way the galbanum, iris, leather and vetiver notes unfold. (Please add vetiver to the base notes.) Edt is like a forest with sunshine filtering through the leaves; parfum is like those parts of the forest where sunshine cannot penetrate. That's my take on it anyway. Edp's notes are more blended together and not as individually discernable as in the other two forms, IMHO. Thanks for the opportunity to review and for a great website!

30th August, 2004