Reviews by flathorn

Aventus for Her by Creed

Immediately on start-up, I got a whiff of the same sport-base fragrance I did in Aventus for Men, the one that rendered it kind of cheap smelling. It was even worse in this one, unpleasant and harsh. I must be having a reaction to an aroma chemical thatís common to both formulations.
It made it hard to distinguish notes, let alone nuances. So this is pretty much an unwearable fragrance for me.
28th January, 2019 (last edited: 29th January, 2019)

Nude Moderne by Aether Arts

This is a nice white musk. I had problems finding ones that work on my skin, then found two within one month. I feel like I just checked Ďwhite muskí off my imaginary perfume laundry list, which has been long overdue. The other I tried, Amouage Musk Abyadh Attar, is beautiful but more than four times the cost.
This sample was an oil, and it has that sink-into-the-skin-and-become-part-of-you vibe, which I think makes a white musk itís most attractive. Otherwise it will follow you around like a cloud. Most white musks turn harsh on me, but this one stayed soft and true to the end. Very nice. And it has great longevity, close to a full day.
The price on this one is good, so I donít mind applying generously if I want to amp up its gentle muskiness.
24th January, 2019 (last edited: 25th January, 2019)

X for Women by Clive Christian

This is a great fragrance. I think itís destined to become a classic, not the more hyped CC Woman No.1. I would say No.1 is for showing, X is for wearing.
It has beautiful quality florals that donít turn synthetic, sugary or thin in any part of the wearing, and which are balanced in pleasing proportion, in a classic manner. The peach didnít predominate on me, but instead gave the florals voluptuousness. My skin doesnít always register peach notes, which is what kept Mitsouko from totally winning me. I think the peach must have made the difference between nice and sublime in that one.
Iím partial to an authentic, high quality jasmine-rose accord - to me itís the pinnacle of floral blends, and that is what fell out on my skin in X, to my pleasure. As the opening dried down and I began smelling the floral accord at the heart of this fragrance, I fell in love. The tuberose and narcissus give a slight masculine moderation I like (masculine florals, yum), quite supportive with their slight green backbone, barest smidge of buttery earthiness; they got along well. But my eye was on the jasmine and rose. X stayed with this accord until the end, to my luck. Iíve become so used to disillusionment, of finding a fragragrance note I love in the beginning veer another direction, intent on evolvement at the expense of a central core, or collapse and disappear in a disappointing fashion.

X for Women was long-lasting on my skin, most of a day. It has moderate sillage, but I donít care for fragrances that project into otherís space so it was good for me, not loud in any way, unlike Woman No.1, yet its fragrance is very apparent, not timid or pale. The moderate sillage allows it to have an easy lingering quality, so every time I moved my arm, I caught a whiff of it. To me that is the most desirable way to smell perfume - glimpses, teases, small looks. A steady on barrage, which I think is most recognized as the elevator experience, has little mystery, and X for Women is best introduced to others as a mystery. It was a pleasure to catch that floral soupÁon. With that, it will do well spraying on your clothing, as it is made to waft in that manner.
This is a classic feminine perfume. Now that many old classics are gone or reformulated with tragic consequences, ones like X are worth seeking out.
Full bottle worthy, though the price seems high, even for what it is.
23rd January, 2019 (last edited: 07th February, 2019)

Eau Duelle Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

This is fairly different from Eau Duelle edt. It is less lean and clear, with a prominent ambroxan-vanilla-powder ambiance, a people pleasing combination, yet my chypre nose ends up wanting more complexity after wearing it a while because itís a long-lasting fragrance (most of a day). I will probably experiment with layering other fragrances. But on itís own, I can honestly say itís lovely, soft and pleasing, a compliment-getter.
22nd January, 2019

Musk Abyadh Attar by Amouage

This is a lovely soft version of white musk. Most white musks get unsoft and a bit harsh on me as they devolve, Iím not sure why, but Musk Abyadh Attar doesnít. The combination of musk, vanilla and sandalwood is magic, and retro.
Iím not a fan of vanilla as a stand-alone note, so I was concerned about the part it would play in this. For the first half hour the notes are perfectly blended into a voluptuous white musk cloud. At 45 minutes it becomes a skin scent and if I sniff my skin I can smell the different notes, and the vanilla, but it doesnít dominate, and is an asset . The sillage stays pretty firmly white musk. The skin scent-stage is long lasting, for most of a day.
So this isnít an edgy, feral or rough musk. But itís one that people around you love.
While white musk can never be a signature scent for me, this is probably the best one on my skin, for times when I want to be enveloped in beautiful softness. For those seeking a well-made white musk with a difference.
21st January, 2019 (last edited: 25th January, 2019)

Wild Musk by Coty

This was my sisterís signature scent so I couldnít really wear it, but I liked it nonetheless. It was sort of a quietly sexy musk, with a few more florals than other musks of the day. She smells great in it and doesnít experiment with fragrances, so she still wears it. But she told me her latest bottle is disappointing. Itís a weaker formulation and shifted from the reliable warm, soft prettiness she loved to an echo of that - watered down, and lacking itís sweet soul. Kind of a harsh indictment from someone who loved it.

What do I rate, the vintage or the new formulation? Iím giving a neutral to the present formulation.
21st January, 2019

No. 1 for Women by Clive Christian

Iím capable of spending $800 on a perfume that would leave me breathless, but No.1 for Women is not it.
It has a huge aldehydic opening, floral, powdery and effusive. The pineapple was, like another reviewer said, Ďpineapple puffí, love the phrase. Powdered aldehydes have a certain associative cachet as salon-type fragrances, but that is also their baggage.
After an hour and a half the aldehydes dissipate enough to be able to smell the midnotes, a bright-hearted jasmine/rose, still swirling in soft aldehyde powder. Itís mannered, correct and pretty; a fragrance thatís refined but because of the aldehydes, still in-your-face. There is breadth but not depth in it at this point
I donít care for aldehydes, they give me sneeziness, so I found this perfume uncomfortable to wear. While the fragrance is nice enough, youíre inhaling just as much aldehyde as fragrance, so you have to be an aldehyde fan. I used to consider aldehyde dishonest, a carrier, a dupe, but Iíve come to realize its considerable presence in a fragrance. No.1 brings that home to me. Because when the aldehydes and powder dissipated the fragrance was considerably less, For some fragrances, aldehydes are its backbone.
The drydown after 4 hours was the nicest part, but slight. What remained was a soft sandalwood, tonka base, with little to no florals, but also with no depth
Really, an old-styled aldehydic powder bomb. At this price, you donít need to worry about being cornered by it in an elevator, most likely.
12th January, 2019 (last edited: 07th February, 2019)

Aalacho No. 1 by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

I was wowed by Aalacho. On the second wearing a subtle chord that was tickling my memory kicked in, and I realized - the mineral base of Djedi without the Guerlainade. It has that mournful crypt or castle in the moonlight note that wows those who fall in love with Djedi. If you love Djedi, you owe yourself a sample of Aalacho.
03rd January, 2019

Aventus by Creed

A meh fragrance with a kind of generic backbone.
A sport-fragrance base came out on my my skin, making it fresh in a teenage boy kind of way. It was pleasant, though a little generic smelling. I wasnít excited about that sample a few years ago.
My husband tried it later, and it was different skin, but the same story. It was somewhat generic, bordering on nice. The pineapple topnote, which I looked forward to smelling, melded with the other fruit and lost itís distinction. The drydown was a little synthetic, and not especially strong or distinctive. That was a little disappointing. Perhaps thereís one note grabbing people who like it? Lacking that, the rest of the fragrance doesnít seem special.
I suppose chemistry is at work here - heís not really a Creed person apparently, as he hasnít found one he likes yet, or I think is more than nice. None smelled wonderful on him. Most were foggy and indefinite.
It reminds me of an incident a few years back, of smelling a fragrance on a friend that was absolutely smashing, mesmerizing. I asked him what it was, and he said Diesel. After he left I tried all the Diesel fragrances, and none were what I smelled. I can only think it was a chemistry match created in heaven, and he made that fragrance his own.
The odd thing about Aventus is it registered so little. I thought it would be distinctive, but I have a hard time remembering what it smells like - my husband didnít remember it at all.

Iím personally happy it wasnít something that became a must-have for him, as Iím relieved to step out of the Aventus arena, away from the elbow-to-elbow sweaty mob scene around this.
27th December, 2018 (last edited: 25th January, 2019)

Black Collection : Whiskey by Commodity

I bought a perfume sampler set for my fiancť's birthday. 'Aventus' was generic and somewhat ho-hum on him; he rocked most of the ouds. A few were very nice, urbane and sophisticated.
But 'Whiskey'... wow! It was in a category of its own. It totally sizzled on him. This one is downright sexy! I really couldn't stop getting close to smell him when he wore it. Everything you want a guy to smell like - tobacco-y, boozy, with leather and herbal spice. Dry sensuality. Pick me up off the floor.

It's not really an office fragrance as itís a little strong. After an hour it projects less, but itís still one to be careful with. I have a super chypre-nose, so Whiskey must be hitting the right buttons. Two thumbs up. and the rest of me.
02nd September, 2017 (last edited: 24th January, 2019)

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

Decaying beauty. Somehow noble, somehow beautiful, unsettling.

I'm sure most who deal with bodies - morgues, coroners, doctors, etc - recognize the unsettling sweet aspect of decomposition. I once discovered a family friend who had died in his living room the prior day. I was unprepared for the sickly sweet chemical aroma that hung over the closed room. There was no rotting flesh smell - I suppose the process wasn't far enough along for that. It seems one of the first acts of the body was to create sugar gasses - at least that's what the room smelled like to me. I've never forgotten that smell. Charogne has this.

Charogne has beautifully rich intense, dense florals thickly overlaying ominous sweet and eventually hard-to-avoid indoles. With Charogne you cannot have the beauty without the sense of its dissolution swimming in the background. To me, it makes it's beauty more poignant and more grand. But wearing this fragrance you must live with this fact. It's not something one would always wish to wear, but when you do it gives it a depth that is hard to come by through a fragrance that is only about the beautiful.
13th June, 2015

Rose Flash by Tauerville

An unholy alliance of the two aroma-chemicals I have vilest reactions to. One is the type of synthetic rose that laid me low in Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. The other is the more and more common red berry or fruit note. It is an aluminum rose reacting to an acid bath in a chemical factory. It's nose hair searing, and makes you lose your will to live, so chemical and deranged is its odor. The result is a fragrance made to wear in hell. Pretty much a nightmare you're glad to escape from.
13th June, 2015

Crystal Aoud by Montale

Crystal Aoud runs astray of an aroma-chemical allergy I have, which makes a fragrance very dissonant, with a harsh burnt sugar note. It's usually in fragrances defined by red berries or dark fruits, which this one doesn't list. But the aroma-chemical is there, nonetheless. It takes the oud and amps up its medicinal qualities into the category of something I merely endured. Unwearable.
05th June, 2015

Ange ou Dťmon by Givenchy

I may be coming onto this fragrance too late in the game. I'm having problems finding the distinction in this from many an oriental gourmand. It's been done many times before. Or is it many times since? †And I wish I could glimpse the angel and it's shadow, the demon. †I envisioned a frosty cool, achingly beautiful lily/orchid, set high above a beastly, hot counterpoint of darkness below it. But it really isn't a fragrance like that at all. The angel, from the smell of it, is another homage to Angel... sigh. Sometimes fragrances can be so deriviative. But this is more bearable than Angel. It is hard to find the wickedly sensual in vanilla, orange and herb.
But what it is... If I take away my expectations, it is a midtone, modulated, richly vanillic cool floral gourmand. I'm not attracted to this style, so I'm having problems being fair to it. Except I really don't have to. All I know is that on my skin this doesn't shine or become sultry, become a delicious fragrance, all the things others say about it. I can't feel anything more than ambivalence. I will pass, and look for one that has a little more sensuality and floral and less vanilla and orange.
30th May, 2015

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

What is it about this fragrance? I came on this one too late, after half the world was wearing it. I never wanted to try it, it sounded so disagreeable and loud. So now that I have and discover it really smells nice on my skin, I don't know I can wear it because of its over-familiarity. Angel had that problem 20 years ago and I got tired of smelling it on everyone and everywhere. So I really hesitate to jump on the Black Orchid bandwagon.
But... this one should be totally not my style, and most fragrances like this smell awful on me, so †the miracle that this one wears beautifully makes me inclined to get it anyway.
The strangest combination of cucumber, silky flowers and dark chocolate. †Unusual, but undeniably silkenly sensuous.

It also wears like iron and lasts forever.
29th May, 2015

La Vierge de Fer by Serge Lutens

"Let there be light! And darkness no more. He who wishes does not have a black soul! ďI will come as a thief ÖĒ said Christ; certainly in silence and probably, for him, wearing shoes. To deserve his title, the Thief must act under the wide-open eye of the absent owners. In this case, it is not that tenuous eye with which Cain stares without regret, but another, which in some way will make an accomplice of Abel. If the fetishes, idols and charms of the Museum of Man, in Paris, had not met the 20th century, everyone would have missed that incredible mockery of Eros which The Young Ladies of Avignon certainly is. ďThe Negros had understood that everything which surrounds us is our enemyĒ, the wizard Picasso said to his paintbrush. Who, if not one of them, decided on life, by death, would dare, to unclench the teeth of this sex of the world: fear. Since it is the fruit of our entrails, it must be elevated. For that, not fearing incest, we will embrace it. In this way, she will give birth to our most beautiful monsters. That is how, a little rusty by dint of doubts, my steps have rejoined†La vierge de fer†(the Iron Maiden); that lily amongst the thorns."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stylized, conceptual. The official description made me smile as much as the verbiage of Womanity.

It opens cool, airy and gassy. Even with this air and radiance it is somber and metallic. Whatever thinned out fruit and floral are in La Vierge de Fer, it is floating in a film of steel spray. The first time I tried it, I thought it light. The second time I happened to be sampling an edc, Voyage de Hermes, on the other wrist. It immediatetely put La Vierge's cool metallic character into highlight.

I don't think this fragrance is a mistake. I like the attempt to put the fruity-floral theme into metal. But for me, it is always about how it makes me feel. La Vierge is a cool grey day at the end of autumn, with the cold, quiet pause before first snow hanging in the air. It reminds me of the time †a travelling carnival was in town, staying too late in the year. From far away I could smell snow cones and cotton candy coming across the field, mixed with the mineral cold soil around me. That artificial fruitiness mixed with the sober reality of brown frozen dirt gave me such a sense of the clash of two realities. La Vierge makes me feel that way. The somber wash over the fruits and floral is a mockery. You can smell them, but can't truly have their bright beauty. It is a disquieting feeling for me, so I don't think I can wear it, though I think it's interesting and subtle.

It is long-lasting and has a moderate sillage.†
26th May, 2015

Tabu by Dana

I tried the pure parfum and it turned this fragrance into a rich intoxicating, incensy, civet floral. Bold, for evening only, and slightly tawdry. But in the right way. It has all the smolder you'd want from this style, which means it isnít subtle. I tried the less rich formulations of Tabu and found them a little rough and cheap. But the parfum version becomes what it should be.
Older fragrances weren't skanky as we define them now, they sizzled. In our day of sanitized hygiene, a fragrance that smells 'dirty' (uric, fecal) is daring. In the year Tabu was formulated, a fragrance that was overtly sexual was daring. I prefer this older style of naughtiness, this boudoir-tinged aroma of experience and availability. I think this one is the real deal, as it's able to deliver its message a century later, in an age of relaxed sexuality. Cheap... of course :) We all get its message.

It's longevity as a parfum is good. I think this is the formulation which is best, and the only one I would buy.
21st May, 2015 (last edited: 12th January, 2019)

Bottega Veneta Eau LťgŤre by Bottega Veneta

I really like the opening - it's crisp and elegant. An unusual, dryish lime peel like note with pink pepper provides an airy sharp definition to full florals. A leather accord starts emerging in the midnote which is very sensual. It grows into a sueded leather floral on me, soft and engaging. Average longevity and projection.

Baiser Volť by Cartier

I tried this because I was hoping it was a lily I could like, but in spite of it's promising green notes and citrus, it was still strongly and unquestionably lily. Which is a note I just don't love. It always smells artificial in an airy, aquatic, sharp manner. It brings such a boatload of synthetic elements to a fragrance, that any supporting notes are rendered weak, ineffective... and artificial smelling.
I can tell this one has a nicely moderated personae, an easy wearability, so I hoped I might be able to accept it's somewhat hairsprayish personality, but I can't. Much too artificial on me.

Speakeasy by EastWest Bottlers

Sexy, feminine and sultry. Has a nice gin note, with some powder to dress it up and some spice to make it sassy. The sillage lays pretty close, which is good, as this one has the potential to be a sillage bomb otherwise. Nice.

Filles des Iles Golden Floral / Floral Solaire by Filles des Iles

Beautiful opening. I can really smell the soft ocean air with languid pretty notes floating around. The soft fruit of the topnotes are not citrusy, more tropical, but not a caricature, as in Trepidarium. The florals are soft, pretty and abundant, but not overbearing. They're languid, like the fruits here. There is kind of a voluptuous, buttery feel.
It was nice while it lasted, but this soft summer fragrance fades appreciably, usually in 2-3 hours. It's not exactly ephemeral, but can't be relied on to last through a party. It is one of those you apply for a luncheon, and when the meal is done so is the fragrance. It doesn't have a cologne air about it and seems much fuller, so it was surprising it faded the way it did. If it had lasted longer it would have been thumbs up.
11th May, 2015

Devilscent #3 : The Inevitable by Olympic Orchids

The description for Devilscent#3 said it represents the destruction of the relationship started in Devi#1 and Devi#2, the point when the lovers part forever. There's a mťlange of very deep notes in the opening, which is in some ways a signature of this house. Many of their fragrances have a big note-filled opening, a real cornucopeia that is always enjoyable to smell. I expected all the deep, dark, dry, brooding, notes, but it also has cinnamon leaf radiating off it, which was unexpected.
The odd juxtaposition of that cinnamon leaf with all the dark notes create a sort of sinister gingerbread, one that's been baked too long and is just about starting to burn. A very dense ashy gingerbread. So there's a hot burning quality, of ash, to this fragrance, sort of like the burning down of all the sweet rich notes of the relationship into deep, dark ash with vague notes of what used to be. This one was the Devi I thought I'd like least, but is my favorite. Devi#1 had an incredible midnote, but I like #3 throughout. For being so somber and dark, the cinnamon gives intensity and energy, so it's not cold or aloof. Even the end of the relationship burns with a somber passion.
It also has a quality of resignation and contemplation in the drydown, the frankincense and myrrh, which enrichens the experience, sort of like Job sitting on the ashes, contemplating his loss. The description said it may give you strange dreams, but I haven't tested that...
I like all this fragrance has to say, but mostly I like the fragrance itself.
09th May, 2015 (last edited: 07th February, 2019)

Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids

In the beginning there's a whole forest of notes - soil, decaying leaves, conifer needle, wood, sap and a distinct medicinal eucalyptic hyssop note. The camphor smell gives it a radiant quality without citruses. This fragrance represents a deep forest - dense, moist, dark woodsy, except for the camphorous note, which has an airy medicinal feel. I do smell a hyssop note, which in an essential oil is a sort of tonic smell - grounding, earthy, medicinal, not as clean as eucalyptus or camphor. The opening has authenticity and strength to it, but the medicinal note is a little offputting, not something I care to smell like.
This camphor quality lays down in the midnote and becomes eucalyptus and pine instead of camphor and humus. It settles into a more linear note and stays that way for much of the fragrance. And becomes fairly light. It is more simplistic at this point, but easier to wear and more enjoyable.
It slowly and steadily becomes warmer and sweeter, a slightly sappy amber, kind of pleasant and easy-going, but tepid and pale. The middle and drydown are my favorite, especially the drydown, but don't make me want to go out and buy a bottle. Kind of non-distinct and non-memorable. This one had the sense of starting out very strong, and devolving into a more limited palette whose simplicity didn't engage me. And the part that is most distinct, the camphorous opening, I cared for the least.
09th May, 2015 (last edited: 10th May, 2015)

Sakura by Olympic Orchids

Sakura isn't really a floral, not even a traditional springtime floral with a green, moist feel. But it is about springtime. It starts with a cool, early springtime moistness, a slightly musty wet hay note. This is the early spring of cooler climates, where the warming earth has more fragrance and presence than any greenery. It's a very distinct smell, recognizable to anyone who's grown up around it. A mineral earth note wafts through it. There isn't floral here, or citrus.
As it develops it slowly warms up, dries off and the mineral note slowly dissipates. The hay becomes warmer and drier and a very light cherry blossom starts wafting through. It becomes more an early spring day in the sunshine at this point. But it's predominantly a coumarin-type hay fragrance, with its casual diffuse outdoor quality. I'm not a fan of that note really, which has turned many mainstream fragrances into something I wasn't interested in wearing. And it is the case here. But for those who love hay notes, this is worth trying, because at the end it smells like a hay field. Naturalistic, but not my style.
09th May, 2015 (last edited: 10th May, 2015)

Javanica by Olympic Orchids

Opens rich, fruity spicy citrus and slowly becomes fruity, spicy floral. It's hard to pinpoint what the floral might be - it's not a typical floral, and said to be the fragrance of the orchid Phalaenopsis †javanica. But it's lightly spicy and sweet, with the rosewood giving it a slight woodiness. Unfortunately on me, the fruity aspect becomes a little sugary, sort of that kool-aid type note; not too bad, but enough to keep it fake-fruity on my skin. †My skin can turn certain sweet notes in fragrances to sugar that it doesn't on other's skin, like the sweet notes in Tabac Blond and L'Air De Rien, so that may be going on here too. But it keeps this one from developing fullness on me. Not bad, but a step too sugary.
09th May, 2015

Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

The name says it all - the opening is pure enchantment. I wanted it to last forever. The beautiful musky aroma of authentic wild blackcurrant, distinct and piquant, conifer notes, cool air and fragrant moist forest floor humus really took my breath away. Beautiful evocation. I've picked blackcurrants in the woods, and this speaks of all that's wonderful about it, that musky fruit aroma on your hands as you pick. I felt a true sense of place. Beyond that, the berry here really is outstanding. It has such character it stays in your memory. At this point I didn't want this fragrance to go anywhere but where it was. I could have stayed in this forest forever.

I was afraid how this fragrance might develop. How do you follow an opening like this? It slowly leads away from the moist, shadowed forest on a path that steadily brightens, to a sunny glade. Kind of archetypal fairy tale. The moist notes start to dry off, and ambery benzoin started suffusing the blackcurrant musk with the smell of conifer resin mingling with wild rose in the sunshine. I was surprised by this new note, how very sensual blackcurrant, rose, resin and vegetable musk was. It was really beautiful. It was so different from the typical musk you smell in a fragrance, really quite unique, such an authentic sensuality, as if it came straight from the blackcurrant. At this point, the fragrance was starting to feel inspired. Again, I didn't want to leave this spot. I wanted it to go on forever.

The amberiness gradually became stronger, like the sun rising toward high noon, slowly burning off moistness, topnotes and delicacy. Slowly, the sensual rose, blackcurrant and resiny musk dissipated under a preponderance of non-complex vanillic amber. There were undertones of the blackcurrant and rose, staining it with a sweet memory, but not enough to win over the amber. I would have been happy with a draw, but by the end it was mostly amber. Because of the smashing character of the blackcurrant, I wanted it to be the raison d'etre of this fragrance, which it was for about half the life of it. But because Iím not an amber fan the ending didnít satisfy me, but rather disappointed. Beyond that, it wasn't even an amber with character, but a weak one. Though perhaps that was a mercy, as it could have been a maddening monolithic amber, which I couldnít tolerate. I can tolerate this one.
If it had been able to retain more of that sun-warmed rose, berry, and resin muskiness in the end, it would truly have been enchanting. The beginning set the bar pretty high, and the ending was weak by comparison. I still like it, with reservations. It's good, but it could have been stellar. 7.5 out of 10, but I will still have to buy some for the good parts.
06th May, 2015 (last edited: 22nd January, 2019)

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

What a surprise. Warm, powdery, and sensual. It's smooth and creamy, with dry cocoa, vanilla and spice. The berry and citrus notes are negligible. It's powdered and slightly perfumy, very different from other Jo Malones I've tried. It isn't a skin scent as it has normal projection and a delicious sillage, kind of sexy. Fairly long lasting, at least 6 hours.
06th May, 2015 (last edited: 09th May, 2015)

Burberry London by Burberry

I think ClassicFan's review sums it up for me, though his was meant for London for Men. But I feel the same way about London for Women - not bad at all for a department store fragrance. It's vaguely synthetic and airy in the way many department store fragrances are, especially the opening. But it doesn't tip over into hairspray and the fragrance suits this style. Light, everyday, every place, pleasant, inoffensive. The floral notes are airy and pretty, but not girly. There is a casual elegance to it actually, that seems to span several age groups. As it dries off, the fragrance concentrates more, reveals its bones, exactly as did Brit. That one revealed sugary fruit, which made me like it less. This one reveals pretty florals, which makes me like it more.
It has a pleasant floral soap in its drydown, and gets warmer as it ages, more sweetly floral. In about 4 hours it starts dissipating, and the floral seems to just suddenly go away, though the soap lingers, clean and pleasant. Much better than most white musks achieve at the end. I like the drydown better than the opening. London may be the Burberry fragrance I like best. It's an inoffensive, pleasant, daytime floral that really isn't trite, and works.
04th May, 2015 (last edited: 16th December, 2015)

Weekend for Women by Burberry

This is like London for the weekend. More casual, breezy, perhaps a little more fun, though Burberrys never really have that feel about them. I wouldn't call any of them vivacious or sparkling. I like the low key peach-apricot fruit in this much better than the more boring fruit in Brit. Less in your face, less young girl, more sophisticated. A fruit better made for more situations than Brit. It gets a lot paler, a lot faster than London, but the accord is somewhat pleasant - non-sugary peach and apricot, with a little casual sunshine from Marigold. I like it much better than Burberry Touch, which for a skin scent was much too harsh.
Styled similar to London, it has light hairspray in the opening, a borderline department store feel, is amiable, agreeable with skin and probably everyone around you. As London, an inoffensive people pleaser. Doesn't stand out and doesn't offend. I guess that is a type of success, as there are many situations that call for a quality†like this. But when the nice peach-apricot dries off a bit Weekend becomes more generic, lacks personality, anything that sets it apart. It becomes somewhat of a beige-colored fragrance. As with London it develops a soapiness in the dry down and Marigold is the predominant note. The dry down lingers on as a skin scent for most the day and I kept getting whiffs of soapiness that was pleasant, but I prefer London as it has more of a personality, and becomes better as it ages.
It felt like Weekend and London were sister fragrances, one floral, one more casual fruity. Their construction was the same, and they both fill the same niche. You can practically feel the designer intent, that perhaps it was more a marketing decision than anything to do with inspiration. Entirely acceptable, safe anywhere.
04th May, 2015 (last edited: 05th May, 2015)