Reviews by reveillee

Plum Japonais by Tom Ford

Possible Masterpiece
This scent had me searching for other great plum perfumes. Found one in Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol (discontinued), but I still prefer Plum Japonais.
Disregarding my love for this fragrance, I'm surpised at of the extreme dislike some reviewers have towards Plum Jap. It just doesn't appear to be a love/hate fragrance like many others in my collection. Some claim it is a rip-off of a Lutens scent but I can't confirm or deny it as I have yet to try the ones in question.
To my nose, the perfect blend of plum, oud, and incense. Perfect mix of light and dark to produce a beautiful middle ground.
While most Tom Ford's have failed to impress me, this one is full bottle, AND back-up bottle worthy.
26th December, 2014

Norne by Slumberhouse

My favorite dark forest scent. Great longevity and 1-2 small sprays are easily enough. I wouldn't call the scent versatile but when you are in the mood for it, it never lets you down. Very happy to own a bottle.
22nd December, 2014

Devotion by House of Matriarch

Yep, what Darvant wrote.
Smells great. Fans of darker resinous scents should give it a try.
28th November, 2014

Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9

If you enjoy Tom Ford Plum Japonais, it is almost impossible not to enjoy this fragrance. This has some vanilla in it but I would not be surprised if Tom Ford had some inspiration for his scent due to Bond Andy Warhol. I love the plum and incense in both.
Unfortunately discontinued due to an expired licensing agreement with the Andy Warhol Foundation.
Two thumbs up and glad to own a bottle.
16th November, 2014

Bohemian Black by House of Matriarch

Not much new to add to the reviews below except that this is another winner from House of Matriarch and it surprisingly performs better on clothing than my skin. My skin eats this up but projects nicely on my shirt.
15th October, 2014

Cuir Garamante by MDCI

Take all the good parts of Montale Aoud Musk and add in a beautiful rose/saffron combo and that is what I experience with Cuir Garamante. Not a very unique or challenging perfume but a nice comforting one that is blended well (a MDCI trademark). While I appreciate my darker and more challening perfumes, some days, I just want comfort.
This could be worn any season, day or night.
Not only are their perfumes great (Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin), their customer service is top notch. Thank you Claude!
30th May, 2014

Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Perfectly Unisex.
Starts a little strong but smoothes out and has a luxurious feel to it.
Please wear this at least 3 times before making up your mind. Initially it was a 7.5/10 and after 2-3 wearings it was a 8.5/10, and now it is a 9/10.
Lasts over 24 hours on clothing and NEVER gets cloying.
08th April, 2014 (last edited: 15th April, 2014)

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

This could be my new signature scent. Normally I like dark and challenging scents but this one is just so smooth and comforting. It lasts on clothing forever. I can't imagine allowing myself to ever run out of this. I hope it is just as good in warm weather. While expensive, I think it is a safe blind buy. Though others may not be as infatuated with this fragrance as I, I can't imagine someone disliking it. Hope my wife likes it. If not, she at least better get used to smelling it! :)
16th March, 2014

Les Déserts d'Orient - Songe d'un Bois d'Été by Guerlain

A richer and more wearable Dior Leather Oud. Also has less skank factor.
Don't get me wrong, I like Leather Oud too, it just doesn't have the complexity of this magnificent underrated fragrance.
Excellent Longevity. 2 sprays max.
07th March, 2014

Coco Blanc by House of Matriarch

Best gourmand I've tried. For those that don't like most gourmands, this one isn't as sweet or as boring. The mix of spices, chocolate, and sandalwood smells divine. I'd own MUCH more than 15ml if I could afford it. Tried 3 of HOM and have enjoyed all of them (Blackbird, Bohemian Black, Coco Blanc).
24th February, 2014

Montecristo by Masque

Rough and challenging for the first 30 minutes but mellows out and becomes an amazing masterpiece afterwards. Challenging but wearable. Must try.
23rd February, 2014

Fusion Sacrée Lui by Majda Bekkali

A little too sweet with a bubble gum feel to it for the first 20 minutes or so HOWEVER, the rest of the time, this fragrance shines for gourmand lovers and those on the fence regarding gourmands. Boozy caramel amber with coffee and citrus.
9 out of 10 for cooler weather. Have yet to wear in warmer weather.
31st January, 2014

Blackbird by House of Matriarch

Great mix of leather, oud, pine, seaweed, and many other notes.
Try it when HOM has one of their sales. Can't see fans of darker but wearable perfumes not loving this.
Great longevity with adequate projection too.
15th January, 2014 (last edited: 13th February, 2015)

Fate Man by Amouage

This scent appears polarizing to most reviewers, but I like it. The cumin is not too strong and is balanced well with the immortelle. I don't eat much Indian food so I can't comment how closely it resembles curry chicken as some have mentioned on other sites.
This is made by one of my favorite perfumers Karine Vinchon who also created the great Memoir Man.
While I like this fragrance, I'd still have to say it gets beat out by Memoir Man and Opus VII from Amouage.
07th November, 2013

Black by Comme des Garçons

One of the best CdG releases.
Not for the timid.
Lots of smoke, tar, spice.
For some reason my wife and other women I know can't stand it. Go figure!
30th October, 2013

Reflection Man by Amouage

Powdery Floral with Pepper

Not your typical Amouage.

Read all the bad comments about this fragrance before trying. Once I tried it, I agreed with most who gave it a poor review. Seemed overly synthetic, possibly too strong, and couldn't help but think this was made for a teenager. An Amouage frag friend kept telling me to keep trying it and that it was his favorite. I took his advice and after wearing it a few more times I did a complete 180 on the scent. It performs much better on my shirt than on my skin. Stays a little more fresh which helps with warmer weather.

Not one of my favorite Amouages but worthy of a nice size decant.

Try this one at least 5 times before discarding.

I now call it my "gulity pleasure" fragrance. We all have at least one. :)

Pros: Longevity, good all seasons
Cons: Love/Hate type frag, may come off as overly synthetic

27th June, 2013

Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud by Montale

Unique blend of Aoud and Wood

I have never smelled any fragrance similar to this in my 14 year perfume obssession history.

Strong oud and strong wood note.

Not for the faint of heart. Can't see this being something that attracts the opposite sex. More for personal use, which is fine with me.

Because of how unique this scent is, it is one of the few Montales that I keep going back to more often in my rotation of scents. May be best for colder months.

While some say it is good for a base in blending with other scents, I prefer the way it is.

Pros: lots of synthetic aoud and strong wood, addicting
Cons: May not be wife friendly

30th May, 2013

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Overall Silver is a nice citrus musk with some woods. It also has a chypre style backbone but not a hard wear. Good longevity and sillage. Don't overspray.
17th May, 2013 (last edited: 22nd July, 2014)

Interlude Man by Amouage

A strong and dark perfume for men who like fragrances that stand out. Definitely can pick out the Oregano note.
The first couple wearings of this didn't impress me much as it smelled of an incense/leather bomb. After trying it again, I began to appreciate it more and pick more notes. Not a crowd pleaser so be careful on the trigger.

Pros: longevity, rich, quality
Cons: top notes may be too strong in spice/incense for some
17th May, 2013 (last edited: 03rd February, 2014)

Memoir Man by Amouage

Green, Mint, Woods, Incense

Somewhat fresh, somewhat dark.  Blended well to convey both of these aspects.

I appreciate the green aura to this scent.  It's what sets it apart from the other incense laden Amouages that I love.

Would give it a higher star rating if it had typical Amouage longevity/projection.  Worth owning at least a decant.

UPDATE: After wearing it a couple more times on my skin, it performed much better. Maybe it was olfactory fatigue previously. Increased my star rating. THIS IS A MASTERPIECE!!

Pros: Blend of quality ingredients
Cons: absolutely nothing!

Honour Man by Amouage

Pepper, woods, musk

Surprisingly this has great longevity and sillage.  Rich but in a different way than most Amouages.  In my opinion, this reminded me of a less dirty Terre d'Hermes.  Strong pepper and woods that is mostly linear to my nose.  Worthy of a decant but probably not bottle worthy at the price

Pros: longevity, projection
Cons: price, not as unique as other Amouages

Ciel Man by Amouage

good peach style scent with a little animalic notes

Closest I've found to a QUALITY Millesime Imperial.  A little darker (not much) and more musky but in a good way.  A little more longevity than MI as well.  Great for all seasons.  To my nose this is blended well and is a masterpiece.

EDIT:  While I still like this scent, I've grown to appreciate the other Amouages more.  For some reason, this scent can become a tad cloying at times.  Maybe I should stick with it in colder weather only.  I loved it then.

Pros: good for every season, decent longevity/projection
Cons: as with all Amouages - price

Dia Man by Amouage

Amazing Citrus but short on projection at times

One of my favorite citrus notes.  The best thing is that they don't disappear within 30 minutes like some.  However, after a few hours, projection can be minimal unfortunately as it becomes a skin scent.  You have to bury your nose where you sprayed to smell it again.

Different from the other Amouage scents.  Worth a try.  If your skin can get good projection with this, its full bottle worthy.

Pros: citrus
Cons: longevity/projection is hit or miss

Aoud Leather by Montale

For some reason, most leather scents become cloying to me if leather is the main note. This one is no different. I'm sure leather fans would like it. If you like the leather in this, I'd recommend trying cuir d' arabie. It has a funky oud note and the same leather note.
I like other fumes with leather but just in smaller concentrations and blended in more.
My wife liked this if that helps, and she is not a fan of Montales.
10th May, 2013

Opus V by Amouage

Though I am giving this a thumbs up, the mid and basenotes smell almost exactly like Montale Aoud Musk. I like Aoud Musk which is why I'm giving this a thumbs up. However, I prefer to pay Montale prices vs Amouage prices. Opening is better than Aoud Musk but only lasts about 10 minutes.
09th May, 2013

Boisé Vanillé by Montale

Starts off really strong. Has a classical feel to me at first. Not what you would expect from a typical vanilla scent. Took a couple wearings to get used to the top notes.
Fortunately the mid and bottom notes feature the vanilla more and it becomes a soft luxurious scent. Don't give up on this one too early. Thumbs up for creativity as well.
03rd May, 2013

Red Vetyver by Montale

I agree mostly with Postumo's assessment of Red Vetyver.
"For me it's like a perfect blend of vetver + the best of Terre + the cool peppery effect of Poivre Samarcand. Longer lasting that both Hermes with a gentle and transparent sillage.
For me it's a winner, you can't go wrong with it. Easy to wear and suitable for most situations and any weather."

To my nose, it is close to a masterpiece. Love it.
A little more citrus and sweeter than Terre d'Hermes which used to be my favorite.

25th April, 2013

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

Very similar to TDC Oriental Lounge but a little less dark. Long lasting and named appropriately. Better suited for temps below 65 degrees.
23rd April, 2013

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Just a fun, uplifting scent. Have not tried in winter, only spring.
Longevity decent for a Creed. At least worthy of a good size decant.
18th April, 2013

Aromatic Lime by Montale

I agree with Darvant about this having a classical barber shop feel to it.
Lime peel + barber shop + a little clean soap = Aromatic Lime
Unlike any other Montale. I get good longevity on it.
Unlike Darvant, I think this is masculine from beginning to end, and my wife agrees.
Good for all seasons.
For those that think most Montales smell too similar, give this one a try.
12th April, 2013 (last edited: 19th April, 2013)