Reviews by foetidus

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

I wasn’t a fan of Allure Homme Sport, but I find this Eau Extreme version to be more palatable. I agree that it hardly seems like a sports fragrance… the dominance of clary sage / sandalwood in the opening distances it from the sports category. Also, this opening, with the help of mint, suggests to me that this fragrance wasn’t meant for the younger fragrance wearer.

The remainder of the fragrance is uncomplicated… it is a straightforward but quite competent white musk, tonka and cedar accord… This accord is pleasantly edgeless and merely… suggestive… of a sports fragrance in tenor and strength (I think it should be a bit fresher).

Not an inspired fragrance, but it exhibits Chanel quality and Chanel class. I think the “sport” label suggests something that the fragrance doesn’t really deliver, but then truth in naming has never been a strong element of the fragrance business. I believe that Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme will rightfully have its devotees. For me, a somewhat hesitant thumbs-up.

Wanted by Azzaro

I have a difficult time describing Azzaro’s Wanted because it is so unadorned and anonymous. It opens with a lemon and ginger combination that is quite void of anything that makes it interesting or special… but it’s okay in a kind of shoulder-shrug way. The cardamom and cade oil of the middle level keeps the mediocrity going – the cardamom is presented in a way that makes it almost unnoticeable… but it’s still definitely okay. I don’t know what cade oil smells like and if I’m smelling it now, I still don’t know what it smells like. The base continues the mediocrity of the preceding levels by being barely noticeable… I wouldn’t have paid attention to it if I hadn’t been purposely trying to find a description for it. It has a shoulder-shrug vetiver along with a tonka that provides little sweetness to the vetiver.

Sillage is weak-to-average and so is longevity. In the entire run of the fragrance there is nothing I find wrong with it and also nothing special. I would guess that what is WANTED in this fragrance is a personality.

Florabellio by Diptyque

This doesn’t seem like a Diptyque fragrance… it isn’t like anything from them that I’ve tried before. Florabellio is very sweet, a bit metallic, and it exhibits a marine note that is new to my experience with Diptyque. The marine note introduces a synthetic, plastic feeling that I might expect from something from Calvin Kline or Hugo Boss, but this fragrance is too… “big”… for either of those. I guess the “big” is floral, and according to the scent pyramid, that would be apple blossom and osmanthus – I don’t smell either one individually because there’s too much weirdness (sea fennel & marine note) connected those flower aromas.

The scent settles down during its heart stage and for its base, when it becomes quite diminutive while its florals are being intermingled by a coffee note. I enjoy this base accord much more than the big opening accord, but the base is too subtle. In all, I think that Diptyque could have done better than this.

Plum Japonais by Tom Ford

In spite of its solidity of structure, Plum Japonais gives the impression of being delicate and even subdued. The combination of plum, saffron, and cinnamon in the opening is eminently sniffable. I have debated with myself as to whether or not I should call it “gourmand”… If it is gourmand, it’s not sticky sweet kind; rather, it’s more like a restrained but very sweet floral note, probably it’s the plum blossom at the heart that makes it so strongly floral. On my first couple of testings I thought the immortelle to be judiciously restrained. With subsequent testings, the immortelle came though quite well… and a beautiful presentation of immortelle it is – it counterbalances the plummy sweetness successfully. The base continues the sweetness with its vanilla and amber, and adds a bit of oud to the accord, but I agree that the oud should exhibit more presence in order to balance the continuing sweetness of the fragrance.

At times in the opening and into the heart, the plum / immortelle accord achieves an almost painful beauty. But as soon as the immortelle fades, the plum delivery no longer holds the interest it once had, and the base, though pleasant, just doesn’t continue the excellence that preceded it. I think that the decline of the drydown might not have happened if the oud had just a touch stronger presence in the base.

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

Quite a unusual fragrance even for Comme des Garçons. The “green” part of Amazingreen’s name is certainly appropriate for a time, but I’m not convinced of the “Amazing” part. The green of the opening and heart seems a bit off to me because, instead of being the usual sharp or fresh green, it is an unexciting, dull green with a milky sap and coriander seed tinge. It becomes a little sharper with the introduction of a green pepper note. I don’t get any more green type notes because the fragrance very quickly loses strength. After about forty-five minutes, the weak green dominance is barely there and there’s a soft mineral somewhat smoky note left over – the gunpowder accord, I suppose… it’s quite weak to my nose… I wish it were stronger…

I don’t find the “green” of this fragrance as enjoyable as the greens I’ve experienced in several other green scents – including a few other Comme des Garçons’ scents. I find the sillage and longevity rather weak. I just don’t get anything amazing out of Amazingreen.

Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne

Peppery / (generically) citric opening… pleasant, non-edgy… with very good longevity for a citrus opening. The movement to the middle notes is subtle and difficult to pinpoint because the middle bears many similarities to the opening: The middle’s citrusy orange flower / petitgrain is combined with a soft, gently resinous incense… an accord quite reminiscent of the opening.

The middle notes also exhibit a good longevity. The movement to the base is not so much subtle as it is drawn out and non-climactic. It’s a mild light wood and musk with enough vetiver to echo again the components of the opening and heart.

Bois Blonds is fresh, clean, subtle, enjoyable, and maybe even classy. It’s composed of quality components and has good movements and delivery. I’m not particularly interested in this light-wood / citrus category, and it doesn't ring any bells for me, but Bois Blonds is a quality fragrance.

Swiss Army Mountain Water by Victorinox

One of the better Swiss Army fragrances I’ve experienced. Mountain Water is quite linear and uncomplicatedly constructed, and it performs well sillage-wise and longevity-wise. It’s quite synthetic… but it manages to produce a rather interestingly aroma.: I enjoy the rock lichen note; and the herbs – especially the mint – form a pleasant complement to the lichens which provides an enjoyable coolness to the fragrance.

I agree that it is not really a unique fragrance, but it does create a competently fresh feeling without relying on some ubiquitous aquatic accord.

Purr by Katy Perry

Fruity opening… not bad at all… the peachy, apple-y sweetness is given a clean depth with the bamboo note. Purr is sweet and feminine but doesn’t go completely overboard with either of those qualites. The fruity sweetness holds for a longer time than the balancing greenness of the bamboo, which loses its projection much sooner than the fruit notes do. This shifts the balanced opening into a drugstore-cheap generic fruitiness, the quality of which you can find in a couple hundred cheap fragrances.
It takes a long time for the opening to give way to the floral heart notes… or maybe it just seems long. The jasmine / rose dominant heart becomes a relief from the fruity-sweet opening, mainly because the florals cut into the sweetness and broaden the whole heart accord. Softly-projecting, feminine, youthful… nice, even if it’s quite generic.

The base comes across as a musky vanilla… I keep looking for sandalwood but I’m not finding it. This base retains most of the sweetness of the early accords but it has lost most of the projection, giving Purr an under-performing presence with its base. On the basis of its aroma, I would be neutral about this fragrance… it’s pleasant, it’s generic, it’s not synthetic or screechy. Its chief problem is its loss of projection in the heart and base, as well as its insufficient longevity, which makes it not a winner as far as I’m concerned.

David Yurman Eau de Parfum by David Yurman

An unusual green opening… a tiny bit of synthetic mandarin and an interesting cassis note. This green accord is not at all sharp as green often is; but then again it is not a rich, broad-spectrum green either. This is an iffy green mandarin haloed by a synthetically aromatic cassis note. I don’t find it off-putting but I don’t think I would like to smell it over a very long period of time.

With the heart note’s floral accord, the fragrance takes a turn further away from my preferences. My problem with it is the water lily note… which I often dislike. My reaction to the note in this fragrance is especially strong. To my nose the water lily overwhelms the rose and peony to the point where I find the heart accord disagreeable.

I waited a long time for the base to show itself, but when it came, all I could smell was musk… If the base has a wood note, you can’t prove it by me. And I can’t determine patchouli, either. To me the base is an annoying combination of musk and water lily… The annoyance is persistent… the water lily ambiance hangs on for hours and hours.

I was interested in the other reviewers’ mentioning that this was an expensive fragrance a few years ago. I checked on the current price and find that the cost has gone down considerably. .. but not nearly as much as it should have.

Idylle by Guerlain

Floral opening for a floral fragrance... First the freesia takes prominence to my nose – it’s a soft freesia note… less sharp than most freesias and more complex than the freesias that I’m used to because of the softening effects of lily of the valley and jasmine – quite white floral. This floral opening lasts for an impressive length and I quite enjoy it more than most freesia accords I’ve encountered. I’m afraid I don’t feel that the accord is very natural, but I do enjoy it.

When the rose enters, it, too, comes on softly, and lasts well. A little cooler than the opening freesia, the rose seems to flow naturally from the opening accord. The rose note is not a grabber, but it is adequately competent as rose notes go.

The base retains the fragrance’s strong-but-descrete floral character combined with a subtle white musk… if there’s patchouli present, I don’t smell it. The base is even softer than the prier levels. Idylle is a pleasant, softly feminine sort of fragrance – one that would serve beautifully as a background rather than an attention-getter. Cleanly structured, beautifully performing in its subtlety and longevity.

Ed Hardy Born Wild For Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Born Wild is synthetic but pleasant. The orange and apple in the opening is tempered nicely by the cardamom note. It’s fruity and lively… nicely quirky. Not loud or obnoxious, either; a fruity aroma that hangs around for the run of the fragrance and in the heart notes the fruit delivery is tempered by the soft neutral jasmine and pink peppercorn –quite nice. I doubt that there’s much sandalwood in the base because the base seems simply a softer continuation of the opening’s and heart’s fruitiness – only with less delivery.

Seems like a good fragrance for a young person on a budget – one could do much worse.

Idole Eau de Parfum by Lubin

Excellent opening… bitter orange, rum, and visceral spices: it’s a serious and dark accord, but it is certainly not as aggressive as its darkness would indicate. Assisting with the openings seriousness are the heart’s wood and incense which are already forming a firm platform of serious richness. This platform is a tempered by a judicious hint of natural sweetness in the heart brought about by a sugar cane note.

The base doubles-down in richness with labdanum, leather, and sandalwood. I for one am pleased that the impact of the leather is softer in this EDP than it was in the original Idole – the low impact of the leather as well as the subtle richness of the whole fragrance makes Idole de Lubin EDP a definite candidate for purchase for me.

Parlez-moi d'Amour by John Galliano

Certainly very sweet and fruity… floral, sweet and fruity… carried to the extreme. Because of the extreme sweetness, it’s difficult for me to identify the particular fruit note so the specifics of the accord come across to me as generically anonymous – it could be berry, but it could be melon, or it could be peach or nectarine. Same for the florals – they could be jasmine or rose or orange blossom… Whatever… I can’t tell. Parlez-moi d’Amour is excessively sweet, generically fruity, and anonymously floral. I personally prefer a lot more subtlety, refinement, originality, and definition… and a lot less “sweet.”

Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal

At first sniff Eau de Monsieur could easily be taken as a traditional cologne. A clean, clear citrus combined with a slightly resinous green accord opens the fragrance. But quite quickly I pick up the oakmoss note and this removes the scent from the traditional cologne category. This fragrance shows its age: it is a traditional chypre and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Eau de Monsieur is done well enough that it holds its own among today’s fragrances. Its clean, enjoyable opening its delicate and deft implementation of oakmoss in the heart accord; and its elegant drydown of sandalwood and amber all hold up well against today’s other fragrance offerings. A thoroughly pleasant and well-made fragrance, especially for those not put off by its lack of synthetic ambiance and its use of oakmoss.

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

When I saw the simple, direct pyramid, I thought “Hugo Boss couldn’t possibly screw this one up: an uncomplicated list of uncomplicated notes that usually work successfully for me...” Well I was wrong. The mistake I made was paying attention to the list of ingredients. The scent pyramid is meaningless… what should say is “calone.” Aquatics scents seem to depend on calone, but the better aquatics dress up the calone with a few notes to make the calone less sterile and generic… more palatable and interesting. Hugo Element completely fails its delivery of a good, interesting aquatic.

Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Christian Dior

In the last three days the three scents I reviewed were disgusting scrubbers. Dior Homme Cologne has its turn now – and it is the opposite experience. This is a déjà vu experience… I felt the same kind of pleasure when I reviewed the original Dior Homme over ten years ago.

The clarity and simplicity of Dior Homme Cologne is outstanding. The bergamot/ grapefruit opening is delicately blended well with with a mineralizing and cooling cardamom. I love this opening /heart accord and it lasts for a very respectable amount of time. After two or three hours, the musk from the base has taken control of progression and has waned to the intensity of a skin scent. To me the musk is a kind of let-down… but mainly because I enjoyed the original accord so much. All things considered, Dior Homme Cologne might is one the best colognes I’ve smelled in years.

Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Noir Exquis is pretty much a classic gourmand – it is nicely constructed… smells good. It is discrete and well balanced in sweetness and masculine woodiness. In a way it might be called interesting; for example, that nice coffee / maple syrup combination that peeks through is genuinely unique and quite sniffable. It performs well if one accepts the light discretion of its sillage… It is light, but its longevity is excellent. There are many nice things going on with it, yet it basically ends up missing out on something. Possibly what it’s missing is that quirky little something that is characteristic of most L’Artisans. I can’t fault Noir Exquis too much even though I feel it’s missing something, so I will vote it a thumbs up...

Elegant and undeniably pleasant... excellently constructed and beautifully wearable. For those who like gourmands, Noir Exquis is one that deserves a testing.
22nd August, 2016 (last edited: 27th November, 2016)

Gentlemen Only Casual Chic by Givenchy

The opening’s cardamom is stronger than the ginger and the juniper / cedar screws up the spices in the accord – it would have been a better opening if the spices had stayed longer and the coniferousness had been delayed and reduced, because with the loss of the spices, the juniper and cedar present too much of a plastic, artificial character that I find quite boring. Things don’t improve with the base… I smell no sandalwood and the ambroxan doesn’t seem to be very amberish. Not a very impressive fragrance, and like its progenitor, its chief crime is that Gentlemen Only Casual Chic is uninspired and dull.

Royal Mayfair by Creed

(Hmm! Just read all the reviews of Royal Mayfair here – rogalal is correct: There must be major variations in the changing batches of this fragrance. My 2015 Creed-carded-sample gives me a a Royal Mayfair that is in no way like the white florals discussed in the most recent reviews. Neither is my sample like those mentioned in the five reviews citing rose / pine dominant accords. My sample clearly resembles nine of the first fifteen reviews that mention a prominent eucalyptus dominance.)

It took a couple of attempts for my brain to organize what I was smelling. The opening accord was somewhat woody, somewhat exotic, and somewhat familiar. The pyramid says gin, lime, and pine, but they formed an accord that had a definite element of some restrained aromatics that wouldn’t be explained by the list of opening notes. I finally decided that what was confusing me was the eucalyptus note rising up from the base… This eucalyptus was not the usual Vicks Vapor Rub version, this one’s aromatic delivery comes through at a lower register… It seems more like a slightly aromatic wood note as it does foliage. I’m sure that the woody-eucalyptus note is also made more complex by the opening’s pine and gin notes, which I can detect as subtle enrichers.

I disliked the eucalyptus dominated opening at first but after a few weeks gone by, I have grown to enjoy it very much. The opening is unique; it is warm, rich, woody, even a bit boozy… so intriguingly complex and it lasts from beginning through the middle, and through the base. Throughout the run of the fragrance, I never get a hint of citrus. I can identify the gin, pine, rose, cedar, and, of course, the enjoyable woody eucalyptus note. Discrete sillage and limited longevity.

Aoud / Homme by Martine Micallef

The first accord that I get in Aoud Homme is a strong honey / aoud with a rose background. I get very little spice. I’m a bit surprised because when I first saw the list of ingredients, I thought all I would smell would be aoud and rose; but the honey is quite prominent… a strong honey note enlivened with the aromatics of aoud. This first accord lasts impressively. Eventually the honey aoud is augmented by a light sandalwood and stronger patchouli. The honey still is present as it gathers up a bit of cinnamon. As for the other spices in the pyramid, I can’t separate them out. This heart accord is soft, reticent, and moderately aromatic. It is elegant and enjoyable. In five testings I have not experienced much of a gourmet ambiance… only a mildly plush and sweet aromatic texture.

Aoud Homme does, though, remind me of many of the aoud scents I’ve tried – aoud has a way of doing that to scents. I guess this is why I’m having a difficult time saying anything more about Aoud Homme: It’s a well-made scent – quality ingredients, adequate structure, acceptable performance, and pleasing aroma. The problem with Aoud Homme is that there is little that differentiates it from the myriad aoud fragrances that are being produced now – most for less – some for half the cost. This is a very good scent but I think it needs more distinctive characteristics.

Fath Pour l'Homme by Jacques Fath

Citrusy and floral… Of the florals, I get a powerful violet note that seriously stands out from the rest of them... too much violet for me. This might very well be a good fragrance for those who like violet notes, but I find Fath Pour L’Homme quite screechy and annoying – too much violet.

31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette by Chanel

First sniff told me it’s a Chanel… second sniff said “chypre.” After that it comes across to me as animalic and it doesn’t seem to be the leather that’s responsible for that… The leather is smooth, rich, and satisfying. Perhaps 31 Rue Cambon has a very indolic iris. The iris note is quite strong and it’s the type of iris note that I enjoy very much but often find it unwearable. I having some questions about the references to 31Rue Cambon’s lightness and softness… seems borderline aggressive to me, but in a very good way. Actually, I see 31 Rue Cambon as a top-quality leather scent. It’s a winner and I don’t say that about a leather fragrance very often.

Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens

Begins with a strong floral accord suggestive of a modified carnation aroma. When the spices move in, they move to a clove ambiance with the sharpness of cayenne in the background. In spite of the robust spices, the accord retains much of its floral nature. I’m not sure how the two kinds of peppers fit into the composition – I do not smell them directly but they are integrated into the spice composition. Along with the spicy / floral heart notes, there camphor has risen in the background, and the floral / spice / camphor accord remains to the end of the fragrance – I don’t experience the wood base.

Abstract? Yes, but… I would prefer it less nutmeg-metallic and more floral. But in all, this is a enjoyable fragrance – admirably constructed as Lutens’ fragrances usually are and lightly fresh which is a rare performance for a Lutens’ fragrance. A modest thumb's up.

24 Platinum by ScentStory FZE

24 Platinum Elixir opens with a rather scratchy accord that is an almost-disgusting combination of a boozy cheap vermouth/incense and a semi-sweet, fruity cedar: There’s also a warmth to it, probably from the middle’s amber, that doesn’t seem to belong. The fruit note disappears after a minute or two, and what remains for the rest of the fragrance is a textured version of that original petty annoyance.

Actually, I do have something positive to say about this accord: It is is quite original and masculine. I guess it does have a redeeming value. An underlayment of a sweetish, musky leather eventually roils up from the base. I think if they had left out either the sweet or the leather, the projection of this base might have been more desirable. Probably the smell of 24Elixir Platinum is my particular aberration. There’s a decent chance that someone who is not me might enjoy it.
19th August, 2016 (last edited: 18th August, 2016)

24 Go Dark by ScentStory FZE

I don’t smell the fruit listed in the fruity opening … The first notes to show up were the ones listed as heart notes – I get a plasticized sage /pepper / vetiver / patchouli accord that is distinguished by a sour tinge. I don’t directly smell the lavender that is listed as a heart note, but I I’m thinking that the sour edge of the spicy wood accord comes from some sort of lavender note. I don’t find this heart accord especially appealing, but mostly I wonder why I get plastic spicy-wood instead of a fruit-dominated opening. That heart accord lasts for quite a while – about one and a half to two hours. When the base notes show up it is presented as a relatively generic, relatively acceptable vanilla / leather. I don’t smell any musk.

This fragrance isn't very impressive and I don’t understand why anyone would put this particular combination of notes together – the whole development of Go Dark seems completely random... Then again, it certainly isn't a bad fragrance and its price is quite reasonable.
18th August, 2016 (last edited: 20th October, 2016)

24 by ScentStory FZE

Discrete scent… Lavender/ citrus opening that is balanced, subdued, a little spicy, and lasts about fifteen minutes. It’s not the kind of opening I was expecting for such an inexpensive fragrance – it’s a bit more sophisticated than its price might predict. The middle level of 24 lists six spices and the spices come through clearly but with a lot more subtlety than one would think could be accomplished with six spices. I can identify only nutmeg and pepper out of the six listed, but I’m also picking up an element of sweetness and wood from the base. The base comes on fully as a dark wood accord – there’s just enough sweet via amber to tone down the wood resin. As the base loses its sillage, the spice notes of the heart, particularly the nutmeg and to a lesser extent the cinnamon, project an attractive skin scent that lasts for hours… quite sniffable.

I admire what ScentStory has done with this scent. The opening’s lavender and the heart’s mint, caraway, and anise all contribute a natural and enjoyable aromatic aura to the fragrance. ScentStory seems to have found a way to eliminate most of the egregious characteristics that plague so many of the inexpensive fragrances: blatant synthetics. To my nose this fragrance is two or three steps above many in its price range.
18th August, 2016

Oud Palao by Diptyque

I’m no expert at oud notes, but to me this one doesn’t come across as synthetic as so many other “ouds” seemed to. Oud Palau begins with a sharp aromatic, shellac-like smell but the blast settles very quickly to a clear, dominant aromatic note which is underscored by a natural wood note - the result is something that reminds me of the smell of freshly-sawn oak wood: I can believe that this accord might be a more natural oud note than other "oud" notes I've smelled. This oud is dominant in the accord not because it is powerful or aggressive but because the other notes do not have a very strong presence to my nose; in fact the only notes I can (barely) smell are rose, patchouli, and labdanum, making Oud Palau is pretty much a solo oud to my nose. This presentation of oud doesn't at all annoy me like so many of the Montale-like performances… I see Oud Palao as very wearable, and I find its performance – sillage and longevity – more than acceptable. This oud is quite beautiful in its own quiet way. Somehow I expected it to be a more dramatic but, when all is said, this oud is better than drama… It should be investigated by those interested in oud... I will certainly be revisiting this with the thought of purchasing...
28th July, 2016 (last edited: 05th December, 2017)

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

The opening is similar to those of the previous Dior Hommes... a little lighter and perhaps a bit more citrus. I like it, just as I have enjoyed the others. Within the opening there is already a firm iris note that grows stronger as the citrus wanes. The iris continues until it is joined by the base’s cedar. Of the three levels, the base isn't quite as interesting as the opening and heart, but it is competent enough and I enjoy it anyway.

I really enjoy this flanker of the original Dior Homme. As I have spent more and more time with fragrances, I’ve become increasingly interested in scents that are more subtle-rich than flamboyantly dramatic; I also appreciate ones with a more discreet sillage. This is my favorite of the Dior Hommes.

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

A pleasant feminine rose fragrance: The rose note is not one of those big roses… it is soft and sweet and pretty. In the opening it is sweetened with the sharp-sweet fruitiness of blackcurrent. In the heart accord, what further softens the rose note is a light floral bouquet of lily of the valley, orange blossom, and heliotrope.

Nice base, but quite standard: sandalwood, musk, orris, vanilla. I’m not sure I smell the sandalwood. The musk and vanilla are not overly sweet and the orris is just a bit powdery.

Rock ‘n Rose is not original; it has a light, appropriate sillage, lasts well, and is youthfully charming. A somewhat weak thumb's up.

Fight for Me by Ducati

I didn’t expect much from the sample, and Fight for Me met my expectations. For the opening, the listed bergamot and apple notes were completely overwhelmed by a violet leaf, lavender, and geranium conglomeration that was non-aggressive, a bit warm, and highly synthetic: It was a bit off-putting but tolerable. The aromatic vibrations from the violet and geranium came through with a metallic sharpness that increased the iffyness of the whole opening accord; and that metallic aura is the kind that lasts until the end of the drydown. Speaking of drydown, I never did identify any wood or amber hiding under the metallic sharpness of the fragrance’s domineering metallic sharpness. This is a Platinum Égoïste wannabe that was manufactured with the cheapest possible ingredients.