Reviews by foetidus

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

As the other reviewers said, AdG Profumo is similar to Acqua de Gio – I wouldn’t go so far to say that it is simply stronger and longer lasting than AdG – it might be, but that’s not the primary difference between the two AdGs. AdG Profumo is more sophisticated… its aroma, I find, is more agreeable because the Profumo is less aquatically-synthetic and carries its aquatics with a deeper, broader, and – ultimately - better ambiance. The opening aquatics are joined with a more noticeable bergamot note than used before in AdG, making the opening clearer, cleaner, and a bit more natural. The heart notes are composed of a softly green geranium-herbal combined with the still-dominant aquatic note of the opening… a much more satisfying heart accord than that of the original. The base of the Profumo brings in a hit of incense and patchouli to its long lasting aquatic accord. The movement from beginning to end is smooth and refined, and the longevity is quite good. This is an very nice fragrance.

Potion Blue Cadet by Dsquared2

I only need echo Darvant's review: Useless, common, and synthetic – no more needs to be said.

Solo Loewe Platinum by Loewe

Leather and lavender with an abundant shot of pepper – I wouldn’t call it a thrilling combination… a bit too much of a screechy vibe and not enough heartier or basso vibes. I would find this accord more interesting if I would smell more of the frankincense and cedar. Solo Loewe Platinum is not a very sweet fragrance, which is something I enjoy. I can detect little variance in this accord from beginning to end. Solo Loewe Platinum is not a very unique or interesting, but it performs well: it has good projection and decent longevity.

Polo Supreme Oud by Ralph Lauren

I immediately get the spicy combination cinnamon pepper: it is deep, rich, but it is also resinous because of the smoky resins rising up from the mid-level of the fragrance. These smoky oud resins very soon take precedence over the spices, and the spices remain in the background. The well-mannered “oud” and guaiac are done surprisingly well in spite of their synthetic nature. Although the individual notes and accords are deep and rich, they remain mellow and controlled. The opening and the movement into the heart accord are genuinely enjoyable… and the oudy smokiness of the middle surrounds and augments a basic wood heart accord. It holds up well after the interesting opening even though it has lost a little depth with the demise of the spice notes. This oudy-wood heart accord is carried into the lighter oudy-vetiveric base, and with the base, the wood / oud slowly morphs into a final skin scent of soft synthetic resin. Oud hasn’t been a strong component of this fragrance and only an impression of oud remains in the nicely-lasting base. Enjoyable to the end, and nicely masculine.

This fragrance is not very complex – it doesn’t exhibit much variation in movement from opening through heart through base, but I do not at all find its lack of complexity a problem or even a fault. Its sillage is tastefully in tune with its depth and character; its whole persona is one of relaxed-but-earnest masculinity… and it lasts for hours. I do not think of this as an oud fragrance: I very much enjoy it as an excellent modern masculine offering. I’m quite impressed because I’m not used to thinking of most of the flankers of the original Polo Green as being very desirable – but Polo Supreme Oud is definitely a worthy flanker of its green ancestor.

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

Only herbal-spicy in the opening – definitely black pepper, lavender, and sage in a dry accord… The opening and the heart accords cooperate in their delivery with a heavily spicy accord that is quite rustic than non-synthetic. I think the accusations of synthetics is because of the aromatic potency of the rosemary and star fruit. The sharpness of violet roughs-up and screechifies the whole delivery of the two top accords. I like tham.

The base turns wood with amber and musk to sweeten it just a little. Guess by Marciano 2009 is a rich scent that is lacking in sillage and longevity. Decent price… this is one of those lovable cheapies.

Kokorico by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier

The opening bergamot is a little screechy at first but quickly settles down to a generic, but decent citrus note. The ordinariness of the cirtus is improved when it combines with the rhubarb because the rhubarb lends a pleasant green sour tang to the opening... much more depth now. Then the cocoa enriches the fruit-vegetal accord even more with its powdery cocoa contribution. It has become quite likable. The base finishes off with the vanilla-like sweetness of tonka bean. All the notes are straight-forward, reduced-synthetic or non- synthetic regular notes… competent but not special. Kokorico by Night is an uncomplicated fragrance that works. I would say that, sillage-wise, it is more discrete than many similar fragrances even though it delivers a broader range of olfactory breadth than its published pyramid notes would suggest. Longevity I’ve found is below average. Although it’s a neutral to me, I can easily understand why others would desire it.

Honey Oud by Floris

An uncomplicated oud scent – refreshingly clear and direct. The honey note takes prominence in the opening. It’s not a raw honey note – it’s been civilized by the assistance of vanilla. The accord is sweet but it is neither as sweet nor as tinkley as honey often smells. It is definitely classy – after all, they do call it “English honey”. The oud begins and remains in the background and it, too, is neither feral nor raspy. As for the rose, I don’t smell it and that doesn’t bother me at all, because I’ve smelled more than enough rose-oud fragrances in the past several years. The amber, musk and laudanum that are listed in the base are definitely present, but not very stand-outish from the oud / vanilla… the composition of the base makes the scent rather linear.

I find this a quite pleasant and distinguished fragrance. The problem I have with Honey Oud is that, on my skin, it has quite limited duration as a sillage maker – it lasts for only two or three hours; after that, its skin-scent stage lasts a couple hours more.

I find this oud fragrance very clean, enjoyable, and, surprisingly original (there have been so very many oud fragrances of late, so points for its uniqueness). What it lacks in breadth and depth, it makes up for in clarity, freshness, sweetness, directness, and even an interesting creativity. I was even planning on buying it until I saw the price… Nahh-aah!

Scuderia Ferrari Extreme by Ferrari

The opening smells more synthetic than it should – I would say because of the under use of citrus, the inclusion of a cheap cardamom, and the use of a “sea accord.” However, the opening is not totally disgusting. The middle accord doesn’t improve things. The cedar is screechy, the geranium is screechy, too, and the nutmeg is too weak to offset the screechiness of the other two notes. The base is ok… most of the sharpness is gone.

Ferrari Extreme is pretty much a typical automobile fragrance: generic and uninspired. And it doesn’t last very long… not that anyone suffers for that.

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

Sweetened sweet orange blossom… great for someone who loves sweet. After a while Divin’Enfant varies by gathering a tinge of tobacco. I get a less than average sillage and it stays basically sweet-tobacco-orange blossom linear for about an hour. This lack of variety is being overdone for me – I’m just not very entertained until the leather starts entering into the accord, which makes the accord more interesting, but not enchanting. It ends in a pleasant, quiet, sweet powdery suede that has very good longevity.

Etat Libre d’Orange fragrances are known for their eccentricity, but I don’t find the quirky notes and structure in this one – Divin’ Enfant just seems rather too sweet, too ordinary, and too quirkless.

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Declaration d’Un Soir opens with a lot of potential… Cool, dignified, abstract, original... I quite like it… green and sparkly… attributed, I think, to the cardamom and pepper. Spicy, yes, aggressive or over the top, no way… not that kind of fragrance. There’s a bit of nutmeg in there, I suspect, but the underlying quality of the accord is furnished by a very nice sandalwood, which provides a solid, textured, elegant even… foundation. I don’t get a lot of rose in the fragrance: the rose note seems to be more of an aspect sandalwood texture.

Declaration d’Un Soir is a pleasant, uplifting fragrance. I like its cool attitude, its soft projection, its abstraction, its clean sandalwood, its good longevity, and especially the fact that it is not like the original Declaration.

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Fruity opening – smells like bergamot with apple highlights; there is even a semi-solid pineapple note coming through. Despite these shades of Aventus, the aromatic nature of the opening makes it seem more fresh that fruity. After a half hour or so, the bergamot wilts out and then collapses as the opening moves into the floral / patchouli heart. This patchouli shows why patchouli is classified in the wood category – this patch smells resinous-woody as it provides the dominant aspect of the heart note… the rose and jasmine are barely available to my nose. This patchouli accord is very well done.

The base is adequate but disappointing. It is mainly patchouli and what I assume is a raw type of ambergris. The pyramid cites musk and vanilla in the base but I think they come through quite minimally. Lack of “sweet” if I remember correctly, may be a characteristic of Mazzolari.

If Nero is an interesting fragrance, (and I don’t think it is), it’s the patchouli that makes it so… which, come to think of it, also reminds me that Mazzolari is noted for a few excellent patchouli offerings. All things considered concerning Nero, it has a competent progression of accord and quality materials, but the entire fragrance comes across as a bit boring.
28th July, 2016

Joop! Homme Extreme by Joop!

I couldn’t wait to try this – an extreme version of JOOP! That’s like a ultra-barbershop version of Rive Gauche pour Homme or a super leather version of Knize 10.
Well!... disappointment…

For a couple of seconds a blast of fruity musk and I thought “Wow! They did it!” But after that first four seconds things morph into a sweetish, dull texture, which reminds me of a stale fruity bubblegum… wimpy and apologetic. And there is stays. It doesn’t project anything like the original JOOP!; it doesn’t have any kind of personality whatsoever except that it’s a little bit annoying. I’m certainly not interested enough to pay attention to its longevity – who cares?

JOOP! Homme Extreme is extremely unJOOPy.

Nero by Mazzolari

Montana Black Edition by Montana

Pyramid-note wise this has the typical component notes of several of the similarly priced men’s “black” eau de toilettes – possibly there’s a little bit stronger sillage here than in the others, but the identified notes are practically the same as a dozen others that I have tested. But there is something in Montana Black Edition that makes it better than its competition. For one thing, this appears to be centered on a better quality lavender note – one more aromatic than creamy, one that does not possess that synthetic tang that the cheaper lavenders tend to have. So this one is thumbs up for the opening while many of its competitors received a thumbs down from me.

To my nose, the heart is primarily green (pine) and floral (jasmine) with a soapy sage note bringing the whole accord to come off as not-very-original but well-made and enjoyable. It still shows traces of the aromatic lavender that began the fragrance.

At first I don’t get much resinousness out of the base – the incense doesn’t come through for me. The leather note is not a strong or aggressive one, and it joins with the sandalwood to create a soapy sandalwood that is an okay accord to me even though I usually dislike leather. Later, at skin-scent stage, the incense emerges and provides a rich but soft resinous character.

In its price range, there are several designer fragrances of this general character. This is probably the best of similar fragrances that I’ve reviewed.

Geranium Odorata by Diptyque

Bergamot and geranium – at first I thought I’d love it. The aromatic opening is quite bergamot-y and geranium-ish and it suggests good things to come. But then it all-to-quickly morphs into a total-geranium ambiance that is unsatisfyingly soapy and synthetic …

In fairness I have to say that the geranium note is pleasant in a certain way… that is…if you smell it far enough away from the skin, but close to the skin it smells sharp and annoying.

It doesn’t take long for the fragrance to draw down to a light and unsubstantial wood base with an iffy aromatic aura. It’s possible I was expecting too much, but I just cannot warm up to this one. I think this product is (untypically) unworthy of Diptyque.

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

I wore Chrome a fairly often when I lived in a tropic climate. I don’t find Chrome Sport to be much different from Chrome… possibly a little less metallic and a bit more refined, basically softer and smoother than the original. Whatever …I like Sport better than the original. Sport is a citrus metallic scent that concentrates on the sharper citruses of grapefruit, bitter orange, and lemon. It’s a linear citrus that adds a tiny bit of grassy green, “oxygen,” and maybe ginger (the metallic note) to a very light base of cedar. I don’t actually smell the cedar but there is an anonymously-textured wood base. It works quite nicely. It’s enjoyable and it works well as a sports fragrance. It has decent, non-offending sillage for an almost-reasonable length of time... It could stand a little more longevity, but I guess that good longevity is not extremely important in a sports fragrance. It serves well as a unisex sports fragrance, and I would certainly wear it often if I still lived in a tropic climate.

Le Parfume Paris / Fragrance 31 pour Homme by Micallef

I haven’t experienced many scents like this. It is obviously a niche quality, but in a certain sense I see it as a rather naïve scent... the quality of the ingredients is unassailable. For the opening I get the top notes and the heart notes all at once: I get a bergamot / lavender combination that is very smooth – it is sensual and soft, but the heart notes - the geranium / jasmine and the spices – nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves –don’t seem to act like the spice notes found in most fragrances. There’s a kind of gritty feel to them which I enjoy. The effect of this is that the accord is both smooth and… while not rough, the spices have a bit of grouchy attitude. I guess that this is to say that the bergamot / lavender combo is too smooth and soft so the spices had to have been roughed up a little so the scent could pass as masculine… a creative but possibly a bit naïve way to solve the problem of a beautiful bergamot / lavender accord.

The base is the anything but naïve even though its components somewhat mirror the relationships of the opening and heart… It is an incredibly competent work of art as far as I’m concerned. The notes list four woods – cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, and patchouli. Then there is musk and vanilla… The woods provide a smooth deep, long-lasting base but I can barely smell them because the musk is so dominant. I don’t ever notice the vanilla in the base but it is there because something is providing the additional sweetness. I bought a bottle of Le Parfum No. 31 blind (It cost a mere $20.) The first several times I wore it I thought of it as a primarily musk scent. Then I decided that it was like those ‘90s fragrances with conglomerate accords, except that No. 31 is constructed with excellent ingredients instead of synthetics… in other words, a niche quality designer fragrance at a drugstore price. I don’t know how to categorize it... Whatever… I love wearing it and I bought a couple of back-up bottles.

Jimmy Choo Man by Jimmy Choo

Not bad: Jimmy Choo Man is a fairly generic fruity / lavender / suede fragrance. Nothing to get excited about, but certainly pleasant enough. Personally I think that this creamy version of lavender works a little clumsily with the honeydew and suede, but at least I didn’t get any gross synthetic vibes from it. The first time I tested Jimmy Choo Man, it smelled synthetic to me, but in the next few tests the disagreeable emanations seem to have been eliminated. If the numbers of sprays are kept to a reasonable extent, this can perform decently: fairly subtle sillage, acceptable longevity, very nice ambiance if not smelled too close to the skin. Decent fragrance for a young man.
06th April, 2016

Indochine 25 by Parfumerie Generale

In spite of its name, Indochine isn't an exotic scent. It is an interesting scent-interpretation of a long-ago-far-away mysticism, and, except for my particular aberration, I think it succeeds. It opens with a bit of Asian exoticness: pepper and cardamom steeped in benzoin. This spicy accord is a little more than neutral, almost sweet, and has a resinous texture. It is not sharp and is somewhat rich with an almost-alien persona; on my skin it responds as near-gourmand but not gourmand… It projects somewhat as sillage but it doesn’t come across strongly to my nose because I think I am not receiving the full force of the pepper… although I think the cardamom is a very good choice, but, as with the benzoin, they last only about an hour as adequate sillage makers; as they become skin scents the accord sweetens too much.

I’m not sure I get much honey in the drydown. What I get is a lightly resinous wood accord that feels very textured rather than interestingly projecting. It lasts for a longer time than I expected but only as a somewhat unusual skin scent. I think it’s an interesting and well-made fragrance, but Indochine isn’t one that works for me.
17th February, 2016 (last edited: 18th February, 2016)

Les Jeux sont Faits by Jovoy

Lots of aromatic vigor in the opening... The angelica, and to a much lesser extent, the petitgrain deliver their aromatic attributes with full force over, around, and through the platform of dried fruits, rum, gin, and tobacco. It’s quite a show: sort of Arabie with tobacco and aromatics, but not exactly gourmand because of the tobacco and wood notes. Les Jeux Sont Faits is remarkably enjoyable. When the aromatics begin settling down after about a half hour, the heart is left with a rich tobacco, sandalwood, patchouli, and labdanum with a little sweetening with vanilla. The tobacco / wood base is the kind I usually enjoy – more rough than smooth… more bitter than sweet. It sends very little sillage at all, but it remains an excellent masculine skin scent. I’m not sure, but maybe I like this better than Arabie.

Private Collection - L'Oiseau de Nuit by Parfumerie Generale

A delectable gourmand-leather-amber fragrance... quite unusual because those three notes form their own highly sniffable tricord. As Way Off Center says, it is both richly dark and transparent; which is, indeed, a difficult thing to accomplish. I think its transparency emerges because of the labdanum, which I have difficulty detecting, but I’m sure it’s there being responsible for subtly smoothing the denser accords. …Unusually sweet for a Parfumerie Generale fragrance, but it certainly wouldn’t make my list of sweet fragrances.

I’m not sure how I feel about L'Oiseau de Nuit – I like it, and I find it an interesting scent, but as I’m smelling it I’m thinking “There are better amber scents; there are better leather scents; and there are better gourmands. When will I ever want all three in one?”

New York Yankees by New York Yankees

Celebrities, cars, now baseball teams. Well, I guess it had to happen, but it didn’t have to be so predictable… this category of fragrance is usually not known for its excellence, and New York Yankees does nothing to change that. Mediocre at best, the synthetics are in full bloom, which usually can be assumed when you see names of notes like “blue sage,” and “orange flower.” But the names of most of the notes are meaningless – I really don’t smell bergamot, coriander, ivy, geranium, patchouli, sandalwood, and suede – I can’t identify any of those because of the abundantly synthetic emanations. This is a scent for people who are used to synthetics, and that’s okay because there are some several synthetic fragrances that smell fine… they can be very interesting if done right. But this one doesn’t fit that description. This one is just cheaply made and poor quality. Sorry, Yankees…

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

Synthetic but pleasant. Mont Blanc Homme Exceptionnel is rather clumsily put together in blobs rather than accords. The first “accord” is a lavender thing – it claims coffee and mandarin and those two might be there but the effect is a somewhat scratchy lavender blob – not necessarily unpleasant, though. For the middle notes I first pick up sage that morphs into a sage/mint accord which could be labeled “herbal” without snickering. The last is amber – a not-too-sweet amber densed and made manly by a bit of patchouli.

Altogether it is generic, a bit synthetic, and a lot derivative; it’s about as pleasant as most of the scents it competes with in the marketplace, and possibly better than several of the more namier brands. If you are young and you like this one, you could do worse for the money.

Mazzolari Oud by Mazzolari

Not what I would call an attractive opening: It is sharp, scratchy, and oudy . The kind of synthetic oud reminiscent of the oud-stronger Montales. The sharp, raw, unpleasantly medicinal oud is here in the opening, but I can’t attest to much else being present besides the oud – nothing to smooth or enrich or complement or deepen the sharp scratchy oud. Lucky Scent has referred to this fragrance as having an “inky rose.” The ink I can believe, the rose I don’t smell. I’m quite at a loss for descriptions, because during the entire run of Oud, I get so little I can identify except the oud … okay, I do get some leather and sandalwood toward the end.

I was so looking forward to experiencing this oud scent by Mazzolari – I’ve so admired their dramatic presentations of patchouli and vetiver in other offerings. This oud scent is raw, but it is not dramatic. It is simply sharp, scratchy, and synthetically oudy.

Santos Eau de Sport by Cartier

“Sport” is a relative term, and this sport is a sport only in relation to Santos de Cartier or Santos Concentree. Now days this would be considered a full strength fragrance, and it’s just as complex as its two predecessors.

Its opening is primarily herbal (tarragon, coriander) and green to my nose; it has a bit of aromatics, presumably from the artemisia. It’s old school but not as strong as the other two original Santos’s are. The middle level rounds out the opening’s herbal nature with more herbs (thyme), some florals (carnation, jasmine), and five woods including vetiver and patchouli. Compared to the older Santos’ and even compared to the opening, this mid-level goes quite soft sillage-wise, and it holds for a good while. The base continues the mid-level’s woods and adds a light touch of sweet (with four different sweeteners) and some resins with its labdanum and styrax.

This is a reduced impact form of two of the most powerful of the 1980s power scents. I would say that in the present times, this men’s “sports” fragrance would qualify as a powerhouse – and that is still one of the best ones from that powerhouse decade. This is what ‘80s men’s fragrances were about.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

Mixed opening of citrus, herbs, and spices. No one note is prominent in the massed accord. It’s kind of… not sharp… or rich… or visceral… I guess “ehh” says it all. It lasts about a half hour.

The heart notes sound great: incense, geranium, and rosewood. Again I can’t separate out the notes: but I do get a little resin and a good dose of not-very-natural wood and I don’t smell the geranium: I would think that with both rosewood and geranium there would be a stronger presence. There’s nothing objectionable here, but this accord is another ehhh…

The base is disappointing not in how it smells, but in its lack of projection. It is woody and muskish and there’s a decent modern / young feel to it, but it seems to be barely surviving. I guess what bothers me most about Paul Smith Extreme is that it is called “extreme.” It isn’t.

Blanche Immortelle by Atelier Cologne

Blanche Immortelle surprised me with its opening immortelle note – the note smelled burnt-sweet or more specifically… something that smelled like cajeta, the goat’s milk caramel of Mexico. The opening gave me no citrus or mimosa, instead there was this caramel note rising from the heart. I loved it – gourmand but not the typical in-your-face gourmand… rather… civilized and elegant. But the immortelle note did not last long enough. It was replaced by a demure floral accord of jasmine and rose – sweeter than it should have been according to the heart pyramid notes, so some of the sweetness of the opening must have remained to sweeten the flowers. The base is a very light, slightly-aromatic wood accord dominated by sandalwood to my nose. It’s sweet, it’s lovely, but I would like it a bit less recessive in its sillage.

Unquestionably a sweet, wonderful, gentle fragrance. Its sweetness and gentility doesn’t make it feminine IMO. It’s one of the best I’ve tried from Atelier Cologne.

Playing With the Devil by By Kilian

Bright and lively opening… peachy-lychee… as usual I don’t smell the pepper, The pepper would have improved the opening, because it is too brightly fruity for my tastes. The opening has good lasting power.

After thirty or forty minutes I begin picking up the heart notes – May rose, I think – then cedar – then patchouli. I kind of enjoy the woody vibe of the patchouli until I realize that that’s pretty much all I’m going to experience... nothing more is going to happen. The heart accord is soft and textured rather than a projecting accord. I don’t think it’s interesting enough to hold attention for very long.

And then the drydown… as a dry down it’s simply the tapering down of the middle accord until it dies of boredom. Nothing very excited about Playing with the Devil.

Om by Ajne

The Ajne company says that their proprietary fragrances are 100% non-synthetic, pure plant-distilled oils, and absolutes blended denatured spirits or organic jojoba oil. Their website says that Om is a blend of smoky sandalwood, Himalayan cedar, and forest lichen.

Immediately on spraying I get a woody-animalic accord that seems uncontrolled and/or unpredictable at first, but then settles down to a linear woody-mineral accord that I’m not sure how to take. I sort of like it… especially the wood part of it, but I am unsure about liking the mineral part. Smelling it close to the skin, it just seems to conflict with itself. I’m not saying the accord is bad… just that it’s something I’m going to have to get used to. But when I smell its sillage as I go about my activities, it smells intriguing, it performs well both in sillage and longevity. Another excellent talking point about the advantages of Om is that it is highly unusual – I know that I don’t have to be concerned that someone I meet will be wearing this unusual product.

Sauvage by Christian Dior

Questionable bergamot opening. The bergamot note is decent but it is already compromised by the inferior ambroxan presence – It might have been better to have a cleaner bergamot accord happening here. The geranium note, too, is questionable because it is already compromised by a substandard, metallic lavender and this lavender note is the main problem that I have with the whole fragrance. It is metallic and synthetic… It is also generic and derivative… This lavender is typical of the lavender interpretation used by several lower-end designers when they are formulating their newer offerings. Actually I think the structure and movement of Sauvage, as generic and derivative as they are, are fine – the main problem with the fragrance is the quality of the particular components – especially the lavender.

It would have been better if Dior had remained faithful to their method of fragrance introductions of the past dozen or so years: They should have given their introductions higher quality ingredients, then six months – twelve months – whatever – later, reformulate them with cheapened chemicals just as they did with their several Dior Homme introductions.

To be completely honest, and setting aside my disappointment about the stinginess concerning the quality of the product, I do agree with Alfarom that Sauvage “doesn’t completely suck.” As for Johnny Depp… It’s no wonder to me that Dior, in seeking a spokesperson for this fragrance, opted for one with such extraordinary acting skills as Mr. Depp has… a celebrity of lesser acting abilities couldn’t have pulled this assignment off with a straight face.