Reviews by Zut

Lavender on the Rocks by Atkinsons

Where is the lavender? I take for granted that Atkinsons use top-quality natural raw materials but I cannot get over how synthetic LOTR smells on my skin. In my personal case, this fragrance has a longevity of less than one hour. It is very strong at first but after about 15 minutes it dries down to an almost undetectable powdery aura. I expected a top-of-the-line fougère EDP but I ended up with a hard woody "flash in the pan" nondescript fragrance. What a let-down.
09th March, 2017

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Once again, I was fooled by the olfactory pyramid of a fragrance. Based on the notes advertised, I expected something totally different. I was hoping L'homme idéal would be warm, sensual and reasonably sweet. On my skin, it is a little too hard, a little to dark and a little too "serious". LHI lacks fantasy and excitement as far as I am concerned. On the plus side, L'homme idéal is a classy, rich, exclusive edp. Its longivity is excellent and it is suitable for business activities as well as formal events. Oddly enough, I don't feel it is a typical Guerlain product for some reason. It is like this fragrance has the Guerlain high quality seal but not the Guerlain signature, if it makes any sense. That being said, I would not hesitate to wear L'homme idéal if I were given a bottle as a gift but since this edp is not the most suitable fragrance for me, I would not put it on my wish list.
12th May, 2016

Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford

This is a rather weak "Thumbs Up" rating for me. As a rule, I find mainstream Tom Ford fragrances much less interesting than the expensive exclusives. This one is no exception. Although TFNE shares absolutely nothing with Spicebomb (Viktor & Rolf) as far as the composition is concerned, both fragrances have a similar "sweet spicy" personality. However, TFNE remains quite harder and bolder than Spicebomb after the drydown. On my skin, it is tangier and less powdery, and the longivity is much better (about six hours). Unfortunately, TFNE is not distinctive enough for my personal taste. It is a quality fragrance but it does not make a very big statement.
02nd May, 2016

Tuscan Scent : Golden Acacia by Salvatore Ferragamo

The only really positive thing I can say about this EDT is that it has an outstanding longevity (about 12 hours). Other than that, my experience of Tuscan Scent Golden Acacia was most certainly not a pleasant one. The honey overpowered all the other notes until the drydown finally came which in my particular case took almost two hours. Then, the powdery basenotes slowly emerged through the remaining sickeningly sweet honey heart. What was left was a warm and slightly less cloying fragrance, yet nothing to write home about. For an EDT that costs twice as much as other designer fragrances, TSGA is not up to par as far as I am concerned. Sorry...
18th October, 2015

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

I give Dark Rebel a rather weak thumbs up rating mostly because this fragrance was kind of a letdown. I was quite excited when I read the ingredients. I love dark woody/spicy vanilly fragrances. To be honest, I expected Dark Rebel to be an affordable version of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille or Noir de Noir. Well, it is not exactly that! It has an ambery feel in the dry-down but that's about it. Of course, John Varvatos never claimed it was in anyway a cheaper knock-off of Ford's fragrances, I have to point that out! Dark Rebel has a touch of rum in its head notes which is a plus for me. Surprisingly, maybe because of the rum, there is an overwhelming mediciny overtone which subsides after about an hour. What remains after that is a pleasant but very discreet fragrance. Dark Rebel is dark, warm and pleasantly smooth for a woody/spicy EDT. It is sweet yet not too sugary (although there is some sugar cane in the mix). Unfortunately, it is not as distinctive and rich as I expected it to be which is my main disappointment. All that being said, Dark Rebel remains a good EDT and deserves a try.
27th September, 2015

L'Heure de Nuit by Guerlain

To me, L'heure de nuit is a mere variation on L'heure bleue but not much more than that. Of course, I love so much L'heure bleue I could not possibly give L'heure de nuit a bad rating. However, I was expecting a little more from this fragrance. I found L'HDN somewhat tangier and slightly less powdery than L'HB but that's about it. So far, I have not smelled both fragrances on the same person, so I cannot tell whether there are more noticeable differences beside the purplish colour of L'HDN. However, there is a major difference as far as cost is concerned. L'HDN is about two and a half times more expensive than L'HB where I live.
15th March, 2015

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Spicebomb smells wonderful on my skin. The cinnamon and tobacco notes really stand out with a subtle hint of nutmeg in the background although there is none in the composition (could be the elemi, though). I fell in love with this fragrance like I did with Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. As a matter of fact, I almost bought a bottle on the spot because I was so glad to find an acceptable substitute for Tobacco Vanille at a fraction of the price. Good thing I did not make an impulse buy. The salesman gave me a generous sample which I immediately tried on. Surprisingly, it became powdery almost immediately while remaining spicy. (the tobacco/cinnamon notes were still very noticeable). Unfortunately, there was nothing left of Spicebomb about half an hour after I applied. This is a pity. I really love this fragrance. If ever they issue an EDP or a Spicebomb Extreme, I shall be the first one in line to buy it!
15th July, 2014

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens

I think Un bois vanille is just too much of a good thing. The vanilla overpowers the sandalwood and everything else. Don't get me wrong. Vanilla has always been a favourite of mine. It is an important part of my personal olfactory palette as well. However, it does not have to be that sweet. I wonder what Un bois vanille would smell like if the vanilla/sandalwood ratio were a little more balanced...
23rd March, 2014

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

I was not quite sure whether I should give this fragrance a Thumbs Up rating or not. But since it is a quality fragrance with a very reasonable longetivity, I went for Thumbs Up. That being said, I am not overly enthusiastic about He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood. To me, it is a less expensive substitute for Encre Noire, no more no less. On me, the vetiver note is overpowering, just like with Encre Noire. It is a very dry fragrance and it desperately lacks sensuality. At least, Encre Noire is not as dull and it is a little richer. To me, He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood is mainly a fragrance suitable for office work and other venues where you must look and smell "serious" if it makes any sense. In other words, I think this fragrance is rather classy but not really exciting.
22nd March, 2014 (last edited: 27th May, 2014)

Moon Drops by Revlon

To me, the vintage Moon Drops is a typical "drugstore floral" lacking originality and subtlety. I haven't smelled it for years and quite frankly, I don't miss it a bit. I have met a few women who could wear it reasonably well which is why I cannot give it a radical thumbs down rating. It is just not my cup of tea.

For those who like this fragrance but cannot find it where they live, there are a few other rather similar fragrances: Babe (Fabergé), Estée (Estée Lauder), Yendi (Capucci) and even Wind Song (Prince Matchabelli). Personally, Yendi is by far my favourite. I find it much more subtle and refined.
06th January, 2014

Chantilly by Dana

I was only a child the last time I smelled the original chypre Chantilly by Houbigant. I have no precise memories of it but I do remember I thought it smelled like old ladies! I just sampled the Dana version and I must admit it is not without its charms. Of course, like the original, it is a typical "drugstore" fragrance and it is by no means a "young" fragrance but at least, it is rather nice. If you like Shalimar, chances are you will like Chantilly (Dana). These fragrances share a brief citrucy start and a lingering ambery base. As a matter of fact, their olfactory pyramid are extremely similar. Of course, Chantilly does not have the subtlety of Shalimar but hey, for one fifth of the price, you get a pretty decent equivalent.
24th December, 2013 (last edited: 05th January, 2014)

Manifesto by Yves Saint Laurent

Manifesto reminds me of Pi for men by Givenchy but much less intense and with hints of cold metallic floral notes. It has a rather strong start but the excitement wears down quite fast and only a wispy nondescript aura remains. Oddly enough, it seems like there is a beginning and an end but nothing in-between. It's longevity leaves much to be desired as well. As far as I am concerned, YSL should rethink this fragrance.
04th March, 2013

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

This fragrance was quite a disappointment for me. At these prices, I was expecting something much more refined, original and daring. Although no smoke/tobacco/leather note is mentioned in the olfactory palette, smokey leather is all I get from Tom Ford Extreme. In my personal case, the longevity is ridiculously short too. If I wanted a more sophisticated rubbery/smokey leather fragrance with a reasonable staying power, I should go for XIII La treizième heure by Cartier. Tom Ford's Noir de noir and Tobacco vanille are much more interesting in my humble opinion. They are still outrageously pricey but they have much more personality.
04th March, 2013

Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens

I tried Vitriol d'oeillet because a friend of mine wears it beautifully and I expected it to smell just as great on me. On my friend, Vitriol d'oeillet is surprisingly fresh for a carnation-based fragrance. It has a soapy quality that reminds me of freshly-cleaned linen plus a slightly spicy finish that makes the whole composition rather interesting. On me, the carnation note was overpowering for about 15 minutes but it was softened by the powdery iris as soon the dry-down began. Then, strangely enough, the clove/nutmeg/pepper notes took over and I started to smell like a bag of Christmas candies! In spite of everything, I could honestly not say that Vitriol d'oeillet was awful on my skin but the longevity of this rather expensive fragrance was ridiculously short. After two hours, there was absolutely nothing left. My shirt kept the "aura" of the fragrance for maybe two hours more but that's about it. If I had the same great results as some of my fellow reviewers here, I should have bought a bottle on the spot! Ah well, back to Bellodgia!
21st December, 2012

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

If Italian people wore that beautiful fragrance in 1390, the late 14th century was not as bad as I thought! I just wonder why they waited exactly 600 years to reissue it! Fiori di Capri must be one of the most complex fragrances predating traditional post-renaissance perfumery (unless the 1990 version is a modernized concoction that has no bearing on the original). The early "glover perfumes" were extremely simple compositions that were attempts to reproduce fragrances found in nature. Fiori di Capri is a wonderful chypre floral with a very complete olfactory palette but it does "smell simple" if that makes any sense! It is quite soapy but in the most positive way. It is fresh and breezy and it is very evocative of the Island of Capri, as it was meant to be. If you like fragrances such as Ysatis (Givenchy), White Diamonds (Elizabeth Taylor) or Oleg Cassini for Women, chances are you will love Fiori di Capri. It has a lot in common with these fragrances yet it is much more delicate and refined. Carthusia fragrances are not easy to find though. In a way, it can be a plus if you are looking for exclusivity.
19th December, 2012

Tigress by Fragrances of France

Sometimes you may feel for Canard à l'orange but some other times, fish and chips in an old newspaper will hit the spot! I love rich, complex and sophisticated perfumes but I can also appreciate simpler inexpensive fragrances as well (as long as they are original and not too synthetic, of course). Tigress is one of those cheaper "drugstore fragrances" that can be absolutely wonderful when worn by the right person. I haven't seen Tigress for quite a while and I don't even know whether the original fragrance (the one I loved back in the 70's) is still available but just writing about it makes me want to go and look for it. If I can find it, I shall buy a bottle for old times sake!
07th October, 2012

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Not bad. However, I believe Knowing is a cheaper version of Coriandre by Couturier launched 15 years earlier. These fragrances share almost the exact same base notes:

Knowing: Sandalwood, patchouli, civet, oakmoss, vetiver

Coriandre: Sandalwood, patchouli, civet, oakmoss, vetiver, musk

Of course, the top and middle notes are quite different (with the exception of the rose which is common to both fragrances) but to the untrained nose these two perfumes are oddly similar. Knowing is not as crisp and clean as Coriandre. It is a little heavier and most certainly not as chic and refined as Coriandre. Since Coriandre is not easy to find in some parts of the world, maybe Knowing could be a reasonable second-best but still...
04th October, 2012

Les Heures de Parfum - XIII La Treizième Heure by Cartier

Top: Bergamot, mate
Heart: Narcissus, holly
Base: Leather, patchouli, birch, vanilla

A true "cuir" is a rare occurrence nowadays. La treizième heure (XIII) by Cartier is a unique fragrance in the ocean of boring ultra-commercial crowd-pleasing fragrances that have been flooding the market in the past 20 years. I must admit that as a rule, leather/birch/black tea/tobacco fragrances are not exactly my cup of tea unless there is a strong amber/vanilla/tonka/opoponax note to counterbalance the composition (like in Tabac blond by Caron, for instance). XIII is a pure in-your-face smokey leather, period. The faint vanilla note is not really effective, as far as my skin reaction goes. At first, XIII reminds me of the charred remains of a rubber factory after a five-alarm fire! It is smokey, rubbery, dry and hard. Fortunately, the dry-down comes rather fast but the only real difference is that the brutal smokey notes just become softer and rounder. There is no real evolution of the fragrance per se (on my skin, that is). The entire composition remains extremely rubbery but surprisingly pleasant and elegant.

Although XIII is much too dry and smokey for my personal taste, this fragrance does make an unequivocal statement! Also, one can feel the quality of the product. Nothing synthetic here. Because of the originality and the audacity of La treizième heure, I have to give this fragrance a thumbs up rating. Now, I should love to meet someone who wears it stunningly well.

About the "shared" label: Although I tend to be quite lenient when it comes to the use of feminine perfumes on men and masculine perfumes on women (God knows I have worn my share of feminine fragrances!), I am not a fan of these modern so-called "shared" fragrance. I don't think these middle-of-the-road fragrances have much personality. In my opinion, XIII is anything but a unisex fragrance. In spite of it's class and refinement, XIII is a tough, harsh, butch masculine fragrance that not even every man can afford to wear. But of course, I am sure there are a few daring women out there who can!
23rd September, 2012

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

This must be the most peppery fragrance I have ever smelled! Like most creations of L'artisan parfumeur, Aedes de Venustas is a quality fragrance with a very slow dry-down and an impressive longevity. I cannot say that this is the ideal fragrance for me though. Unfortunately, there is a "camphor-like" note that bothers me. One of my friends wears Aedes de Venustas wonderfully and this odd note vanishes almost instantly on him. Then, the cedar not takes over. The rich base (especially the powdery vanilla/opopanax combination) mellows the harder wood/pepper heart. All in all, a great fragrance... on him! I wish ADV smelled that good on me but... I still give this original and daring fragrance a well-deserved thumbs up rating.
21st September, 2012

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens

Bas de soie (silk stocking) a shared fragrance?! This is a joke, right? The sample I have was given to me by a female coworker who said this fragrance was too Barbie-dolly for her! No kidding! Bas de soie is an ultra-feminine floral (and not a very refined one, in my opinion). A good perfume is supposed to evolve from start to finish. Bas de soie remains the same from the beginning to the end. I know Lutens is known for it's quality natural ingredients but to me, BDS smells awfully synthetic. Of course, BDS is not the worst fragrance there is but for such a pricey product, "just ok" is not good enough. Sorry...
18th September, 2012

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Top: Grapefruit, mandarin orange
Heart: Carnation, iris, jasmine, French labdanum, ylang-ylang, patchouli, oakmoss, rose, lily-of-the-valley, juniper, pepper, syringa
Base: Musk, amber

To me, this regal fragrance is a sweeter, richer, dressier and more elaborate variation of Jean-Louis Scherrer (the original 1979 edition). In fact, EDS and JLS share the carnation, iris, jasmine, rose, amber, musk and oakmoss notes. Once the fresh hersperides have vanished and the dry-down begins, a luxurious floral bouquet emerges with opulent dark green notes and spicy hints of carnation and pepper perfectly balanced by the powdery iris note and the warm amber base. Eau du soir is wonderful at all stages of its development and its longevity is outstanding. This top quality fragrance is a true work of art. As a rule, I am outraged when fragrances cost three times as much as they should for no particular reason. Eau du soir is extremely pricey but in this particular case, I can clearly see why it should be so expensive. Pardon the old cliché, but Eau du soir is the Rolls-Royce of perfumes!
13th September, 2012

Moment Suprême by Jean Patou

Once again, I feel like I am not reviewing the same fragrance as everybody else! The Moment suprême I have known and loved was most certainly not a soapy lavender-based fragrance . This extravagant amber floral always had a very strong effect on me. When I first smelled Moment suprême, it reminded me of Nilodor (a very potent disinfectant that was around in the 70's which was allegedly used in leper colonies, no kidding). That being said, I love Moment suprême! This fragrance is just excessive! The heady bouquet of mimosa, geranium, lavender, jasmine and rose is backed by a heavy amber/oakmoss base with a hint of bergamot on top and a very intense clove note to spice things up. Moment suprême is sweet, powdery and somewhat old ladylike but to me, it is mostly a warm and "gingerbready" comfort-fragrance. If I had a bottle, I should put a drop on my pillow every night!
13th September, 2012

Infini by Caron

Although I have seen and smelled just about every fragrance Caron has produced when I visited their Avenue Montaigne flagship store in Paris three decades ago, I have never seen the original 1912 version of Infini. I wish I had, though. According to the legend, Caron took 15 years to perfect that fragrance. However, I am quite familiar with the splendid 1970 reedition:

Top: Jasmine, narcissus, lily of the valley, aldehydes
Heart: Iris, lilac, tuberose, rose
Base: Vetiver, musc, sandalwood, amber, tonka beans

Infini is one of the most modern fragrances Caron has ever made. It is surprisingly light and slightly aquatic which is rather unusual for an aldehyde floral. Some fragrances in that category can be heavy and heady. Not Infini. This wonderfully feminine fragrance leaves a fresh and subtle trail. I don't understand that "smokey" reference mentioned by some fellow reviewers. Could it be the vetiver? Personally, I sense nothing dark or dry in this fragrance. Unless, of course, there is a new reedition that I have not seen yet which, unfortunately, is a possibilty.

Finally, although it has nothing to do with the quality of any perfume, the bottle used in the 70's and 80's for Infini was a genuine work of art. For some reason, Caron now uses a bland and nondescript generic bottle for some of the classic fragrances. It is a shame, really. I believe that part of the perfume experience is the artistry of the bottle.
08th September, 2012

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Arpège pour homme is one of the many fragrance-related disappointments I have experienced in the past years. Once again, this fragrance contains many of my favourite notes. When I tried it for the very first time, I was so impressed with APH, I almost bought a bottle on the spot (fortunately, I knew that one of the first rules of perfume shopping is that impulse buying is a definite no-no). On my wrist, APH had that vanilla/tonka quality I always look for in a fragrance. I immediately thought I finally had found a masculine equivalent of Shalimar and I was utterly delighted. The salesman gave me a couple of samples and I wore APH a few days later for a New Year's Eve party. What a let-down! This fragrance that was soft and sweet on my wrist became strong, hard, cloying and headachy when applied on my body. I could almost taste the juice. After a while, I had to wash it off. A few weeks later, I tried it again and although I applied very sparingly that time, I ended up with the same disastrous results. I know this fragrance is good because so many guys wear it extremely well. Too bad I am not one of them...
01st September, 2012

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Some inexpensive fragrances can be very pleasant. Not Jovan Musk for Men. This drugstore fragrance is cheap and it smells cheap. Back in the mid 70's, synthetic white musk was all the rage. It was everywhere (in deodorants, soaps, shampoos, room fresheners, etc.). I hated it and I still do. As a matter of fact, it think white musk and anything smelling like Johnson's baby powder should be outlawed. JMFM may have other notes but white musk overpowers everything else. Truly repulsive skunk juice. I haven't smelled it lately. Thank God!
30th August, 2012

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le male contains some of my favourite notes and I was eager to try it. I really liked this fragrance on the blotter. Then, I sprayed some on my wrist. Big mistake! After 20 minutes, I smelled like I spilled a bottle of Musk for Men by Jovan (a horrible cheap drugstore fragrance that was all too popular back in the 70's). For months, my mouse pad reeked of white musk. Oddly enough, musk is not mentioned in Le male's olfactory pyramid. I wonder what it is that reacts so bad on my skin.

Maybe Le male is a great fragrance on some men but on me, it is utterly revolting. Headache in a bottle, unfortunately.
12th August, 2012

Mademoiselle Ricci by Nina Ricci

This is for the original 1967 Mademoiselle Ricci (not the 2012 version).

This fragrance is a total mystery for me. I bought a bottle in Paris back in the early 80's and I still have it. I wear Mademoiselle Ricci occasionally in the summer and nobody thinks it is feminine fragrance. Why? Because it is a carbon copy of Signoricci (the 1965 original). What puzzles me is that, according to the Perfume Intelligence website (The Encyclopaedia of Perfume), these two fragrances have rather different compositions. Here is what they wrote:

Signoricci:

A classical citrus edt with notes of sage, fig leaves, mandarin, Provencal hay, lemon seed, exotic woods, Alpine lavender, vetiver, rock moss and lichen.

Mademoiselle Ricci:

A green floral edt with notes of bergamot, iris, royal lily, violet leaf, galbanum, rose, honeysuckle, patouchli, aok moss and sandalwood.

I have both fragrances here and they smell the same. The only difference is that Mademoiselle Ricci is slightly more powdery in the dry-down (but I may be imagining things). I have always suspected that someone at the factory had put Signoricci in the Mademoiselle Ricci bottle by mistake. If anyone here can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated. This has been puzzling me for almost 30 years!
02nd August, 2012 (last edited: 08th September, 2012)

Équipage by Hermès

Top: Aldehydes, orange, clary sage, nutmeg flower, bergamot, Brazilian rosewood
Heart: Carnation, cinnamon, jasmine, lilly of the valley, pine tree needles
Base: Tonka beans, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver

Équipage is a dressy fragrance for all seasons. On me, it is extra dry but I simply adore it (which is quite surprising considering I generally prefer sweet amber-based fragrances). Since Équipage contains carnation, vanilla, tonka beans and musk, I expected it to be much sweeter. However, in spite of its dryness, it is not too hard. At first, it is spicy and very smoky but as soon as the dry-down begins, the clove note (well, it is more likely the carnation) becomes slightly tamer and seems to blend with the cinnamon which makes the composition zesty and vibrant. The dark patchouli/oakmoss/vetiver notes also subdue into a rounder and richer earthy base while the smokiness becomes much more discreet.

When I first tried Équipage back in the early 80's, I was not impressed at all. I thought it was too "serious", too "daddy-like", in other words: not exciting enough. I was sure there was leather somewhere in the composition and I did not care for that note at all back then. I tried Équipage again lately and I was very pleasantly surprised. I think you have to be a little older to truly appreciate this unique fragrance. Now, I am a fan!
02nd August, 2012

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Top: Myrrh, tonka beans, benzoin
Heart: Guaiac wood, myrrh, vetiver
Base: Beeswax

In the official Annick Goutal website, Myrrhe ardente is described as follows:

"A heady emanation composed of benzoin, vanilla tonka pods, almost balmy and devilishly addictive; essence of gaiac wood, soft and voluptuous; and enveloping and honeyed pure beeswax extract."

This fragrance may seem candyish to some but it is rather dry actually. Myrrh is quite a bitter resin. The benzoin contained in Myrrhe ardente balances and softens the drier and smokier myrrh, vetiver and guaiac wood notes. In the old days, when fumigation was a current therapy, myrrh was very often mixed with benzoin because the fumes of myrrh alone were too unpleasant. The myrrh/benzoin combination works very well in Myrrhe ardente. The tonka beans and honey/beeswax notes slightly sweeten the composition as well without turning it into a cloying gourmand fragrance.

On me, Myrrhe ardente has a weird rubbery smell until the dry-down begins. Then, this odd whiff turns into an intoxicating, slightly smoky, sassafras-like note (I perfectly understand the "root-beer" reference mentioned by fellow reviewers). One of the great characteristics of this unique fragrance is its unbelievable longevity (well over 8 hours, in my personal case). Myrrhe ardente may not be for everyone but it most certainly makes a statement. Two and a half thumbs up!
26th July, 2012

Lotus by Yardley

The Lotus I have known when I was a child in the late 50's and early 60's was the 1948 re-edition of the 1917 original. Back then, Lotus was very popular in the blue collar community where I lived. Not everybody could afford Chanel, Guerlain, Dior or other designer perfumes and many women would wear Avon and Yardley products because they were so inexpensive. Lotus was worn by women mostly but many men also wore it because there were so few men fragrances available in my part of the world. I remember some women saying they did not like Lotus because it was too masculine. They claimed it smelled like aftershave. In fact, Lotus was suitable for both sexes.

I clearly remember what Lotus smelled like but I could not possibly describe it. It was flowery without being too extravagant or sophisticated. It was not too powdery nor too sweet. It was fresh yet not citrusy. Lotus was most certainly not an outstanding perfume but it was simple and unpretentious. Some people despise "drugstore perfumes" such as Avon and Yardley but if these "cheap" fragrances had not existed, many working-class men and women could never have experienced the joy of perfumes. Women in my family started with these low-cost fragrances. Once they got hooked, they went for more expensive brands. Thanks to Lotus and other drugstore fragrances, I am sure many women have acquired a taste for quality perfumes.
21st July, 2012