Reviews by SirSlarty

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Showing 1 to 30 of 1905.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

Too light. Not enough florals. Too similar to many things offered these days. But then again, it's from 1991, who's to expect ingenuity? A man could wear this without too much suspicion.

Dot by Marc Jacobs

Wait for the discount stores to eat this fruity berry up. It'll be worth it then!

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

There's a great acronym that was used in the production of Star Trek the Next Generation. It was "GNDN" and it was used to label panels. It means "goes nowhere, does nothing".

Mon Patchouly by Ramon Monegal

Weak sauce. More floral than a simple patchouli scent. Has a strange "freshness" to it that I've detected in the rest of the line. So far, this is not my favorite.

19th November, 2012

Brooksfield Men by Brooksfield

A simple, light, fresh and clean fragrance from the early 90's. Lasted pretty long on me. Otherwise, not much of note.

22nd January, 2012

Gilded Lily by Ineke

Oh goody, a lily fragrance. Reminds me of Donna Karan's Gold. Yeah very nice lily, that expected pepperiness of other lily fragrances. Yup. *nods*

-an hour later-

Wow, is this really the same fragrance? Seriously? This drydown is AMAZING. a dry, woodsy oakmoss. For a while, I couldn't find the fragrance but I kept smelling something amazing and, in fact, wondered if I had spilled my bottle of Homme de Gres somewhere because the drydown smelled eerily similar. Figured out it was this that I had sprayed just a little bit on my wrist.

16th January, 2012

Black Sun Sport by Salvador Dali

It's clear and clean. A light greenish, herbal middle and a musky base. Nice and fresh.

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Pepper, pepper, pepper! And cedarwoods. (Actually a molecule called Iso E Super) And it's not overly boisterous about the whole thing either.
    If you like Terre d'Hermes but think it's too much, you should like this. They share similar bases and Bang is lighter.

Habit Rouge Sport by Guerlain

A nice, light, sweet leather and vanilla. Also rose. It has some similarities to its namesake but it really is a scent of its own.
    Ignore the name, I don't know why "Sport" is here other than the fact it is a light scent.
    A dry, spicy drydown ensues with more vanilla.

Gap Blue No. 655 Him by Gap

Interesting mix of greasy woods and grounded herbs to make an aquatic scent to smell like dirt and ozone.

Antaeus Sport by Chanel

Simply put, a lighter, smoother version of the wonderful Antaeus. Less herbal and more woodsy with a different sandalwood note. Also of note, towards the end, Antaeus Sport smells a lot like Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez's styrax.

02nd January, 2012

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

A green tobacco accord is the crux of the entire fragrance. The opening is quite sharp (bergamot and yuzu I assume) but tit fades into a very pleasant tobacco and coffee accord over a light woods. Not sweet at all. Average longevity and sillage; a couple of sprays is all you need. I like it in the fact that it is not another clean and fresh scent.

02nd January, 2012

Custo Man by Custo Barcelona

The nose behind this really knows how to make good sweet scents without them being too powerful.
    Custo Man starts off with a powdery, soft lemon and sweet vanilla. Reminds me a lot of a Le Male summer variant or like Boucheron pour Homme. The drydown is a pleasant aura of the opening vanilla and some tonka bean and a little musk. The longevity is really good for me.
    I really like it, however the (current) $80 price tag hinders an impulse buy just from a sample alone.

30th December, 2011

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

This is a classic fougere structure with a dab of honey. Hugo Boss does quite a few "fresh, fruity, clean" scents for young men but it savvy enough to keep this classic on the market. The oakmoss and musk really hits you at first but the honey and lavender take over for a sweet and sharp accord until the oakmoss comes back. This is a "light" powerhouse-style fragrance.

27th December, 2011

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

With a blast of grapefruit, Burberry Sport opens with a tenacious citrus accord that opens your eyes. Dries down into a ginger and cedarwoods accord. Great warm weather cologne.

27th December, 2011

Bugatti Homme by Etorre Bugatti

A sweet ambery, woodsy and slightly fresh scent. Starts off sweet and has notes of tobacco and a faint dark roast coffee. The tobacco is persistent throughout and its longevity is pretty good. I like it.

24th December, 2011

Réminiscence Homme by Réminiscence

opening ins Old Spice and the drydown is Old Spice with vanilla. Very linear scent but smells OK... if you like Old Spice.

21st December, 2011

Burberry Sport Ice for Men by Burberry

Fresh and clean and smells a hell of a lot like the infamous Aqua di Gio (fresh, clean smelling laundry) but much more woodsier. I quite like it but it's a "pick-me up" kind of scent, not really a daily wear.

20th December, 2011

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

Highly more enjoyable than the edt. It's got a smokey essence to it that the edt does not have. Also of difference is the "orange peel" note is radically changed to be smoother and not so sharp. Go easy since it's quite strong to begin with. I did not like the original but quite like the parfum.

20th December, 2011

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

A heavy, aquatic woods with a HUGE grapefruit and pepper opening. Good longevity on me especially with the sandalwood base. Stay classy, Chanel.

15th December, 2011

Premium for Men by Phat Farm

Wow. This is actually pretty good... for a fresh scent. It's a little spicy and a little effervescent but very effective in being a clean fresh scent amongst all the others of its kind out there. It even has a very slight hint of floral.

High Line by Bond No. 9

Hello ladies! I'm a bottle of sweet green aquatic floral shampoo. Care to purchase me? Oh. Oh my no! That's a dollar bill, you'll need A HUNDRED TIME MORE THAN THAT! Whoa hey wait! Where are you going? Why are you walking over to Bath and Body Works? They don't got nothing like me over there. Ah, I'm so lonely.

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

A more subtle version. Gentleman turns down the vanilla a bit and lets some herbs and pepper take over the overall shape of the fragrance. I liken this to Burberry Brit but not as powdery or as strong.

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

A spicy, fresh vetiver. Starts off brazen with spices (notably ginger and pepper) with a bit of fruitiness. Mellows down into a vetiver with light spices and a bit of a bittersweet note. Then the vetiver loses all its scent and you are left with a transparent spicy accord that's... soapy.

Not bad, I've been wearing it as a daily wear for slightly chilly days.

As an aside, I'm disappointed that JV didn't stick with the usual bottle design.

11th December, 2011

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Not bad, not great. Kinda creamy and sweet with a woodsy freshness to it. To bad it's fleeting. Similarities to Versace Eau Fraiche are pretty close. Eau Fraiche stays with you longer but is a little weaker and cleaner, not as creamy. Blue Seduction is just a touch stronger in projection and sweeter.

15th October, 2011

Solo Loewe by Loewe

This is utterly boring. The only thing I remember about wearing this fragrance was a brief stint of citric herbs on top and a rather transparent musky amber on the bottom. It's easy to wear, I'll give it that much but I desire a bit more conversation with my fragrance than a short "hello".

28th September, 2011

Adidas Fair Play by Adidas

Nope.
    Don't bother.
    Acqua di Gio clone number 2.29 x 10^4
    Lasts as long as this review.

12th September, 2011

Paper & Cotton No. 17 by Tokyo Milk

I don't know what's making me enjoy this scent. It's like green notes (herbals) meets dark green (MOSS) with a light wood... and it's too perfect of a name. Admittedly, if I didn't know what the name was I wouldn't be so astounded.... So here's my more terse review: It's very, very airy to me. Like laundry hanging out on a line fresh out of the washing bin; still with soap stuck on the fibers.

27th August, 2011

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

Smells good, actually. Just doesn't wow me like previous scents by Gucci. Not really liking their recent direction.

Honestly not really sporty at first. Was rather loud but we all know the best part of a fragrance really should be the basenotes. From top to bottom, a woodsy and rather fruity vetiver really stands out with a odd timbre of clean to it. (Probably the juniper berry listed here). Not enough variance to keep interest but it's not a terrible fragrance at all.

26th August, 2011

Domain by Mary Kay

Eh, its okay. It is rather weak. Wait, no, it is extremely weak. And terrible. A transparent woodsy and soapy scent. In fact, it reminds me of another "just because we need a fragrance in our line up" scent from GH Bass (from Van Heusen). I would never give this as a gift even if it was $5 a bottle. One would have better chances with an Avon product.

15th August, 2011