Reviews by SirSlarty

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Showing 331 to 360 of 1910.

L'Eau de Neroli by Diptyque

Best BASIC neroli based cologne water I've ever tried. Bright and crisp with geranium note that is easy to detect (so if you don't like geranium don't spray this on). If you are looking of a deep neroli or something with more complex, try out Penhaligon's Castile or C&S's Neroli. This would be good for a "spritz n' wake up" type of dealie but for the price, nah. Go with something else. But I really do like this scent.

L'Eau de L'Eau by Diptyque

I don't too much of the cloves from the former L'eau but I find this to be an outstanding citrusy cologne water with floral herbs. A huge thumbs up from me. That is, if it lasted longer. The opening is big and bold and screams and is really good at it but gets hoarse after a few sentences. The scent is refreshing and good. I'm torn on this.

Wild Fern by Geo F Trumper

A soapy shampoo. Bitter and green. Just clean clean clean before fresh was the new style of fragrance.

Cabaret Homme by Grès

Good rosy, aromatic (brisk and crisp) herbal fougere opening but is very light and bearable. Reminds me of Casran by Chopard but not as "chemical". I'm not a fan of rose scents but this is nice. Good work cologne.

07th October, 2009

Tristano by Tristano Onofri

Spicy woody green but highly synthetic. Well yes they all are but this one comes off as a very sour leathery fougere. Good longevity and a good work cologne as it's not overpowering. i've tried it a few times and I simply did not like how it wears on me.

06th October, 2009

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Dry, earthy booze. Way to hot in the spice department and smells like a Greek bazaar. I get a lot, and I mean a lot of the lovie scent from this. Olives and liquor. That's not something I enjoy smelling or wearing.

Lucifer No. 4 by Damien Bash

For some reason, the opneing is like opening a new tin of Hershey's cocoa powder mix. Must be an overdose of the florals used in this. Then it dries down into a light musky tea scent. If you think you'd like a chocolate floral musk, you might like this. I do not.

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

Nice 'n' clean mossy frag with a squeaky clean musk. Not much else to expect from something so aptly named. Low sillage but good longevity. Decent standard work cologne.

Uppercut by Everlast

A lightly spicy and sweet aquatic with a drydown of musk and sandalwood. 4 hours of longevity. I find this very similar to Diesel's Plus Plus Masculine or Only The Brave.

04th October, 2009

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

Lalique pour Homme is a subtle yet classy style of scent. Reminds me of the following frags in different ways: Caron's The Third Man, Habit Rouge, Chanel Allure, and even Mitsouko (current edt version). There are chypre elements and the mossy drydown is quite prevalent on my shirt but not on the skin. On the skin it's more vanilla and lavender like Third Man. Sometimes a little bitter and peppery like Allure but not so much amber. Also, there's a powdery or dusty citrus quality like that of Habit Rouge but not so strong. Again, Lalique is subtle and good for a perfect gentleman's office cologne. I enjoy it as such.

03rd October, 2009

1903 by J Peterman

A great scent for the gentleman. Slightly powdery but smokey. Fantastic drydown of very masculine bases: tobacco, woods, leather. With the notes listed above, the elemi comes across reminiscent of Oscar for Men (2000), very strong yet lightly minty woods. Great all around cologne.

02nd October, 2009

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

This is without a doubt very green but not piney green. Leaf greens. With musk. Very nice, different and full of the smell of bitter ivy. You gotta love ivy in order to really like this. Beautifully done but I'm not a fan.

01st October, 2009

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Basic citrus "eau de" something or other but the floral heart really plays a huge role in this. Really wonderful drydown. Floral and refreshing with a soft yet deep green base.

01st October, 2009

Honoré's Trip by Honoré de Prés

Burst of bitter citrus in the beginning like grapefruit, then a little peppery musk. Then nothing.

L'Eau by Diptyque

Augh. I put this on thinking it would be a regular l'eau something or other. Freaking clove bomb. It's like I went to the Willy Wonka Factory, ate some clove candy and turned into a clove.

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Love the opening of amazing lemon and soapy lavender. It just feels great and wonderful to wear. The rest kinda peters out but lingers for quite sometime. I like the seamless transition from citrus top, green middle to the soapy mossy drydown. This is something to put on in the morning to wake up. Very energetic and I like it.

Seducteur by Martine Micallef

At first I had no idea what to make of this. A minty piney scent? A powdery musky woods? Both? This, oddly, is Polo Crest + Cartier Declaraion plus a light Lutens base. The deep musky woods is what gets me loving it BUT the dusty, earthy sweetness puts me off a bit. I guess I'm not a fan of honey. So from the top down I got cool spices (mint and herbs), woods and then earthy, pine and honey and... maybe some leather. Very unique and strange. I don't absolutely love it but I highly recommend everyone to try it out. As of this writing, a bottle of Le Seducteur is $230 for 100ml and is backordered already.

Clear by Neil Morris Fragrances

With all due respect, Clear is a floral grapefruit that's as interesting as a Glade scented airfreshener. Use this fragrance as such. Doesn't agree with my body.

Aegean by Neil Morris Fragrances

I find it difficult to talk about this scent. It's nice at first but turns really sour on me. A little floral and musk but I get nothing else.

Henry Cotton's in Red by Henry Cotton's

This is the clean and soapy of the line. Basic lavender and moss scent. Terrible longevity but still smells great.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A patchouli and spices based scent. The cocoa (powdery chocolate) really puts me off in this one and is not really chocolate. More like thick syrupy honey. So thick you'd wonder what kind of flowers the bees are pollinating. This is more like B*Men rather than A*Men. Absolutely a must sample first because he opening is really, really chokingly bad but the drydown is ok. Not a fan of this one.

Henry Cotton's in Green by Henry Cotton's

A lovely mossy patchouli scent. Smokey and woody but very light and enjoyable. Opening is appropriately green with herbs and a touch of leaves. I could hardly get any of the middle at all. The drydown, like I said, is mossy and the patchouli is woody. Comfortable and casual.

Henry Cotton's in Blue by Henry Cotton's

A delightful little aromatic spicy fougere much in the same vein as the 80's powerhouses. This is much more subdued and wonderful for those who like the lighter scents. I do like those spicy fourgere but some are just to harsh but are still quit amazingly good. In Blue gives those who need a softer side of the 80's. The current formulation is what was tested,

S-ex by S-Perfume

Man this is light. I was worried that my nose was broken but now relieved to read that everyone else has the same experience. I get little out of this but it's a nice light scent that stays close to you. It's very bland with little identifiable scent. Very avant guard like CdG and the like. I used to think that the abstract perfumes were amazing but from the top to the bottom S-ex doesn't get any from me.

26th September, 2009

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Amber and leather dominate this and they are quite potent. The opening is bitter and a touch peppery, light herbal pepper like finely crushed tarragon or another leafy spice that's peppery. And, hey, rose! Argh I don't like rose... but the rose is calm here and sometimes mingles with the peppery accord. Very nice. Just too much strength for me. But... just let this drydown for you and see how it goes. Seems like everyone gets something a little different.

I'm torn. I like this yet I will never ever find a use for owning a bottle but I'd recommend it for others. Namely those that like the strong stuff from years past but needs something that is more... modern? I like the quality. I like the texture. It's on the animalic side yet feels "fresher" (maybe "not as loud"?) than something other leather and amber scents that just turn on me. On a guy? It's masculine. On a gal? It's feminine. On the weird person in the corner muttering to himself? It's unisex.

I will give one very positive, very subjective comment: it's darned sexy and it depends on who wears it.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Truly faked incense. It's good. I don't get the incense connection as the other reviews seem to talk about. And I have nothing more to add.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Harissa by Comme des Garçons

Light peppers and woods. I'm not a fan of this because it lacks depth, longevity and everything else that makes me like a fragrance.

Opera IV by Roberto Capucci

Interesting aromatic, lightly fruity, herbal rose fragrance and dries down into a very light mossy woods. I find this similar to Z Zegna or Casran by Chopard. Light and refreshing but doesn't seem to last long on my skin.

Escentric 02 by Escentric Molecules

Ambroxan and the orris notes made for an even more minimalistic version of the newer DKNY Men. Just add calone to this and you get DKNY Men. I rather like this but it feels less of a scent and more of an exploration of a single note. Decent sillage, actually and leaves a small cloud around you if you will. Most modern perfumes are aromachemical but Escentric just takes the small stuff and charges 2x as much.

24th September, 2009

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Cristaux d'Agrumes by Guerlain

What I didn't quite like about L'Instant I like about this flanker. Bitter grapefruit was added to the top for a brisk, fresh opening. The rest is the same as L'Instant but lighter. I believe this was released as a summer flanker. I wore it on a hot muggy day and still got a little choked up on the leathery greenness of the sandalwood drydown. Brighter, cleaner, fresher: it's what it's all about these days but I like it. Only reason I see to to seek this out is to want a lighter L'Instant so take my thumbs up with that in mind.

24th September, 2009

Showing 331 to 360 of 1910.